• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Through the Tube Pictures

Here is a tiny preview from the night 1 of the Sniper's Hide Cup night shoot. This shooter is engaging the 100 yard popper with a 5.56, USO 1.5-6, and an Armasight Apollo. I am filming with a Pinnacle tubed PVS-14. It was very cloudy with very, very little natural lum, but you wouldn't know it from the video. On paper, this tube is a great tube, but whoever graded it must have done it on a Friday, because it will perform right with a 30+SNR L3 Filmless tube. It goes to show that the data sheet means jack. The only way to truly gauge a tube is to look through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAAok6EofM0&feature=youtu.be

Bump, lets see some from people that haven't posted up yet! Or compasscall again! (hint)

Here is a pic from my FLIR RS32 that I got from TNVC for work. It also does a great job at picking out deer for me.

Well I tried to get some pics through my new Armasight CO-LR, but getting pics through a clip on is way more difficult than through a pvs 14. I will say that I am pretty impressed with the unit that I got. It was 90% illum so hard to say how it will hold up under adverse conditions, but it was looking pretty good. Not quite as good as a pvs 22 but darn close for at least $3000 cheaper. Although I do have the filmless autogated version the gen 3p units should be pretty close.

With the Filmless tube you should be able to play with the focus on the LR and the scope, and mess with spacing and you should get a better image than an average PVS-22. However, I have never figured out how to get a good picture through a clip on, and I've spent hours trying! It's really hard but there are guys out there that do a good job of it.

Well I tried to get some pics through my new Armasight CO-LR, but getting pics through a clip on is way more difficult than through a pvs 14. I will say that I am pretty impressed with the unit that I got. It was 90% illum so hard to say how it will hold up under adverse conditions, but it was looking pretty good. Not quite as good as a pvs 22 but darn close for at least $3000 cheaper. Although I do have the filmless autogated version the gen 3p units should be pretty close.

Here's a vid I filmed through my phone of my AN/PSQ-20.

[video=youtube;90oNUVP--JM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90oNUVP--JM[/video]

Pic through zen ray binos 8x behind Armasight COLR. Big tree in bottom left is 150yards away. Across the creek and up a hill the little cedar trees in open about 500-600 and tree line behind them getting further away closer to 700. 3/4 or Full moon night can't rember. This unit is stupid clear. Hit up Delta4-3 if you are Interested, he will hook it up.

Here's a vid I filmed through my phone of my AN/PSQ-20.

[video=youtube;90oNUVP--JM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90oNUVP--JM[/video]
Not sure how I missed that earlier....but you don't mess around do you?!

A couple pics from the Sniper's Hide Cup

9CsxcMc.jpg

HayViCT.jpg

U2CftnL.jpg

Here are a couple images from two Armasight PVS-14's, one with a high spec Pinnacle tube, one with a Gen 3 white phosphor tube.
As a side note, I must have lost something uploading from my phone. The pinnacle tube that looks a little grainy in the pictures is the same tube that I have posted some really clear pictures of here in the past. All pictures in the thread taken with an iPhone 4s.
These two are just in the front yard. The one of the flag is to show resolution.
2QEmXhC.jpg

LcncbLj.jpg

2J2pUo3.jpg

gjeTOYE.jpg

The WP is pretty trippy, the flag appears (perception only) to have washed out color tones.

Thru Tube

No ultra low light pictures as the moon was a waning gibbous (68% illuminated), never the less, the weather was phenomenal as was the topography.

My 5 year old daughter has been wanting to go on a night vision hunt so I took her out and we recorded a little button buck in the hay field with the Armasight Zeus 3 640-75mm. On 4x you can actually see the buttons. Sorry it's shaky, that's the best I could do resting off my knees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZkL9_KxosA&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Nice. Hope the little feller grows up big and strong. Got an idea of distance when you zoomed in?

Nice. Hope the little feller grows up big and strong. Got an idea of distance when you zoomed in?

Yeah it was 60-65 yards. She may not grow up big, but she will be able to see in the dark!

My 5 year old daughter has been wanting to go on a night vision hunt so I took her out and we recorded a little button buck in the hay field with the Armasight Zeus 3 640-75mm. On 4x you can actually see the buttons. Sorry it's shaky, that's the best I could do resting off my knees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZkL9_KxosA&feature=youtu.be

My main concern when night hunting coyotes and hogs are the high number of bedded down deer I run into at night, in particular this is also the most difficult ID problem due to elevation undulations in the geography whereby sometime all you see are heads or partial bodies.

I have stalked so many bedded down deer using thermal heat signatures, that we never do any shooting until positive ID is made and everyone understands you do not shoot heat signatures, you only shoot IDed hogs and dogs.

But it is still lots of fun passively watching them at night!

My main concern when night hunting coyotes and hogs are the high number of bedded down deer I run into at night, in particular this is also the most difficult ID problem due to elevation undulations in the geography whereby sometime all you see are heads or partial bodies.

I have stalked so many bedded down deer using thermal heat signatures, that we never do any shooting until positive ID is made and everyone understands you do not shoot heat signatures, you only shoot IDed hogs and dogs.

But it is still lots of fun passively watching them at night!

For sure! I'm ok with people hunting with just thermal, and I'm sure you are, but you have to be extremely diligent, and pass on a lot of opportunities if you are not 100% sure what it is. One of the most important things when hunting with a thermal is taking time to watch how the animal moves. Growing up on a farm, I can tell you no calf moves like a hog, no deer moves like a hog, coyotes don't act like dogs, etc., but we have eyes and ears for a reason....we might as well use them both to make sure we don't shoot the wrong thing.