• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Thruster Tactical Compensator

dar1246

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Nebraska
www.youtube.com
I just purchase the Comp. the other day. I already had my barrels thread for suppressors. The comp. threads on fine but the holes in Comp. is vertical not horizontal. Can this be corrected? If so how?

Re: Thruster Tactical Compensator

The shoulder will have to be set back to time it correctly. This will have to be done in a lathe. Thats how I would do it. I suppose you could also face off the rear of the comp to time it although I've never done it that way. Hopefully some the more experienced smiths will chime in on this.

Would this mess up my threading for a suppressors? Would like to have the best of both worlds (if possible).

since the threads on the barrel are done, personally, i'd time the brake to the barrel, instead of the barrel to the brake. anyone that knows how to use a lathe should be able to do this in just a few minutes.

If I have the barrel to the brake. Will it mess with the suppressor. The brake to the barrel wouldn't make any changes to the suppressor. Would this be correct or not?

Why not just use a shim for timing?
If they are well made, they should disappear when the brake is installed.... then remove the brake and shim to put the can on.
Andy

The very small amout that will need to be set back on the barrel will not cause any torubles with the suppressor except that it will screw on a tiny bit further and that will make the works on the can move to a new location .

Face off the back side of the comp. This can be done in minutes. Why spend hours to set back the shoulder on the barrel? ALWAYS modify the cheapest part.

No one has mentioned it yet, so I thought I should.

Most brakes come with undersized holes to work with 243, 260, etc etc. Make sure that a gunsmith or someone competent checks it and opens it up before first use or you'll really screw something up.

Whomever you take it to to time the brake can open it up if needed.

J

Do not attempt to install that brake unless you have a lathe. Just as Jasonk said the exit hole is too small and will need to be enlarged for the caliber you are shooting. Using a drill is not the correct way to do this and your results will be disappointing if not dangerous.

If you read the instructions you will see you need to cut the barrel to a specific dimension then face the brake to index it correctly to the barrel.

Using a timed brake as a thread protector is not advisable anyway since repeatedly installing and removing it will screw up the timing over time anyway. You are better off using a thread protector or get a brake such as a Vais where timing isn't an issue.

The brake has to be reamed 15 20 thousanths bigger than the caliber of choice. Already have 2 of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The brake has to be reamed 15 20 thousanths bigger than the caliber of choice. Already have 2 of them. </div></div>

Yes and it needs to be done while it's on the barrel, in the lathe, and the bore is indicated true.

I got a local gunsmith lined up for next week. He is going to install them. He said he will true them up. He said he normally does around 12 thousandths. Said this give the brake the optimun perforance. You can take more off but the brake won't work as good.