• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Thunder Beast Customer Support: A Comment

rg1911

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2012
Laramie, Wyoming
I've been having some trouble with my TBAC 30P-1 loosening after only 6 or 7 shots from my AR-10 in 260 Rem, and finally sent a query to TBAC. This was promptly answered by Blake, who requested some additional information (glad I keep logs). He then suggested that the threads on the suppressor might have become loose and that it might need to be rethreaded.

Since I'm only 60 miles away in Laramie, and my wife and I hadn't been to the grand metropolis of Cheyenne for a while, we made a day of the trip with the first stop being TBAC.

While waiting for Blake at the front counter, I saw stacks of trays holding the combination muzzle brake-suppressor mount that TBAC now makes, with each brake's threads being checked with GO and NO-GO gauges. It turns out that this check had been done multiple times in the production process. In this case, the brakes had returned from having a high-temp coating applied, and the check was ensuring that no coating had gotten onto the threads. I found this level of detail quite remarkable. Blake made it clear that this attention to detail is applied to every product that is shipped. TBAC has no intention of letting quality suffer.

Blake took the time to inspect, using GO and NO-GO gauges, the threads on the 30P and on the AR. Everything checked out fine and, after further conversation and instruction, it was decided that the problem probably was caused by operator error (I wasn't snapping the 30P firmly into position against the barrel's shoulder).

Blake further explained that all direct thread suppressors can have a tendency to back off under recoil as they index off of a 90-degree barrel shoulder that does not lend itself to an exceptionally secure mounting interface; that being precisely why TBAC developed its BA and CB Mounts that incorporate a conical shoulder that lends itself to a much more secure mounting interface.

If it quits snowing and the howling wind dies down some, I'll see how the instruction works.

With business taken care of, Blake gave a short tour of the facility, which is being enlarged. There was a new CNC machine dedicated to doing all the work to manufacture brakes, except threading that was done on a separate station. Still in its crate was a machine that will do all the welding required by the new bi-pods being made. Blake said this would be super accurate and considerably faster than the welding that currently requires three people.

Information that I found very interesting is the paperwork required by the BATFE. Permission, which often takes months to be granted, must be requested for several stages of production. Demand for TBAC products is incredibly high, and Blake said there were plans to train enough workers to operate a second shift.

I've been very pleased with the performance of my TBAC suppressors, and it certainly is clear why the products are such high quality. Now if they just made pistol suppressors ...

Cheers,
Richard

Sounds like an awesome bunch of folks standing behind their equally awesome products

thanks for that! i just ordered a few and went with the direct thread option on the 338 ultra which they now loctite the brake in for the direct thread option.