• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Thunder Beast Ultra Series on 20" 308 Meter Test Shooters Ear

TBACRAY

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Title says it all

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sxk4BHaKkaY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

​​​​​​​
https://youtu.be/Sxk4BHaKkaY

Last edited by a moderator:
Your third test was pretty much my exact setup... I haven't had a chance to shoot it without ears yet (damn other shooters not having cans...), but it's nice to know that it'll be a decent experience when I do. :)

I wish AI had a 223 so you could run the same test but with a smaller bullet through them all and see where the numbers compare between calibers and see how much they actually give up if anything. Switching platforms could make them less directly comparable though.

Awesome, thanks Ray. Damn you 41F, I want my ultra 9 now.

I'm right there with you. I got the ultra 7 first not sure if I wanted the extra 2." I was at the range back in February and was fortunate enough to be next to a guy shooting the ultra 9 and it was very noticeable the difference. I immediately ordered the ultra 9 that night.

Nice Ray. Just on a side note, I just recored my 223P-1 from a direct thread to CB mount. I'm anxious to try it out. Looks great

not sure if I wanted the extra 2.".

I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere. lol.

I'm in the same boat as you, turned my form 4 in back in Feburary and hoping it comes back before the end of the summer. I've seen some August and even a September form come back over at the nfatracker.com boards so there's hope for the both of us.

Hi Ray,

It was great catching up at SHOT.

Like we talked there, good to see industry companies testing with the right equipment instead of the "marketing" meters many use.

On that topic, what are those three big card board boxes doing in my office and why were they so expensive ;)

Take Care!

Tuukka

I'm going to go absolutely bananas before my 9CB from March 2017 gets here. Can't wait to be able to do load development in the back yard. Our place is out of city limits and we have the have the space, but still have neighbors and I try to keep the peace. Muzzle breaks don't make anyone happy, including me.

Thank you for the video, it's one of the things most suppressor manufacturers are missing, I don't care about cool graphics or commercials or stickers. I want to see how the suppressor performs since it's basically a lifetime purchase and what feels like a lifetime of waiting lol.

I agree, especially since suppressors are hard to collect for reviews and direct comparisons. It's easy for the average person to get ahold of, say several bolt guns to compare before buying one, not so with suppressors.

Dave

Ray, how much of a difference does it make having a meter at the muzzle as well as next to your ear?

The sound at the muzzle is louder. The MilSpec test doesn't have the meter right at the muzzle its a meter to the left in line with the muzzle.

Thanks for the testing videos you make Ray. What decibel number do you guys consider safe for no earmuffs/plugs at the shooter's ear and for the standardized test?

Dave

The sound at the muzzle is louder. The MilSpec test doesn't have the meter right at the muzzle its a meter to the left in line with the muzzle.

The meter at the muzzle was just a generalized statement, I probably should have specified to make it more clear what I was asking. I do that once in a while and my posts are not as clear as if I was talking in person. If you had 2 meters, first one set up at the correct location for the muzzle and the second next to your ear where you had it in your video how much louder is the muzzle reading?

I will shoot some videos this week of MilSpec and Shooters Ear in one setup.

The meter at the muzzle was just a generalized statement, I probably should have specified to make it more clear what I was asking. I do that once in a while and my posts are not as clear as if I was talking in person. If you had 2 meters, first one set up at the correct location for the muzzle and the second next to your ear where you had it in your video how much louder is the muzzle reading?

It's not simultaneous, but this video is a milspec test with a .308. It's the reason i decided to hold out and go for the Ultra 9 over all other options.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yKsnqPfkOfE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like this test and it seems like my choice to get the Ultra 7 first was a solid one. I wanted as short as possible but still be as hearing safe as possible and judging by the performance numbers on the site I decided on the Ultra 7 and I also ordered a 22 take down at the same time. Hopefully only a few months to go on those form 4's. I knew I'd end up with the 338 Ultra down the road and I just didn't see the point in getting the Ultra 9 being only slightly shorter, in that case I would have just got the 338 Ultra from the start for my applications but I had more of a use for something compact first.

This past weekend I was lucky enough to finish well enough at the PNTC DMR match to snag one of the certificates off the prize table that you guys sent down. I'd like to thank you guys again for your support of the sport and I'll be using that certificate for that 338 Ultra that I was wanting. Now I'll have the perfect combo for my uses, the 338 Ultra for my AXMC and all the barrels and the Ultra 7 to run on 300BLK, 308 (both AXMC and other rifles), and the 300WM AXMC setup if I want something smaller than the 338 Ultra.

I'll be in touch with you guys shortly to redeem that certificate. Thanks again!

Looks like the 338 and 9 are about the same db wise. Do they sound close to the same in person?