• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thunder Valley Precision 2014 Schedule

Hey every one I'm new to the hide as well as tvp I'm going to the intimidator and head hunter match at the end of August I live in south east indiana if any one wants to car pool . Also any one know of a decent place to stay the night out there . I was also curious if anyone has an idea of how much ammo I will need for both shoots thanks

Hey every one I'm new to the hide as well as tvp I'm going to the intimidator and head hunter match at the end of August I live in south east indiana if any one wants to car pool . Also any one know of a decent place to stay the night out there . I was also curious if anyone has an idea of how much ammo I will need for both shoots thanks

Round count for the Intimidator: There are 16 targets that you can shoot at a maximum of three times, so your maximum round count would be 48 rounds on it. If you were so lucky to clean the course you would only need 16 rounds.(bring enough, nobody has done that yet)
Round count for the Headhunter: There are 20 targets and you only get one shot at each, so 20 for that.

After the matches you can stick around and shoot from the benches anywhere from 200 yards to 1 mile at steel targets. You can also shoot the Intimidator and Headhunter positions that face downrange. So bring some extra if you want to do that.

There are a few motels in the Coshocton area. I have stayed at the Hampton Inn in Newcomerstown. Its a bit pricy will all of the pipeline and utility work in the area but you won't bring home any bed bugs. Book it early or you may not get a room.

If you want to zero your rifle or get some dope before the match you can do that from 8:30 to 9am, after that the range goes cold.

See you there.

There are a few motels in the Coshocton area. I have stayed at the Hampton Inn in Newcomerstown. Its a bit pricy will all of the pipeline and utility work in the area but you won't bring home any bed bugs. Book it early or you may not get a room.

Both motel's I've tried in Coshocton were *really* crappy. I'm not picky, either. Plus, Coshocton is a paper mill town, so the whole place stinks like a million assholes after a 5 year binge of mexican food. The upside is these motels are only ~$50ish a night.

There is a Hampton Inn, a Days Inn and a Comfort Suites in Cambridge. As Mr. Smith mentions, these get booked up fast because of the fracking industry - plus they're way overpriced for what they are. Figure on ~$125/night. I've not stayed in the Hampton, but between the Days Inn and the Comfort, the Comfort is way WAY nicer for no extra money.

Otherwise, you're welcome to camp out at the TVP facility. There's a firepit, even.

Well I haven't been camping in a while might just do that weather permitting thanks for the info

Just a reminder.
Saturday 8/2: Open Range day 10 am start
Saturday night 8/2: Night Headhunter, open to first ten shooters who e-mail Tom at [email protected]
Sunday 8/3: Short Course 10 am start. Bring extra ammo. If there is time we may make it a short course double. Range is cold from 9-10 am no exceptions. If you need to zero you can do so from 8:30-9.
$20 members, $30 nonmembers.
Yardages, round count and course descriptions can be found on Thunder Valley Precision » Specialized long range shooting facility

Just a reminder.
Saturday 8/2: Open Range day 10 am start
Saturday night 8/2: Night Headhunter, open to first ten shooters who e-mail Tom at [email protected]
Sunday 8/3: Short Course 10 am start. Bring extra ammo. If there is time we may make it a short course double. Range is cold from 9-10 am no exceptions. If you need to zero you can do so from 8:30-9.
$20 members, $30 nonmembers.
Yardages, round count and course descriptions can be found on Thunder Valley Precision » Specialized long range shooting facility

Any more newbie shoots this year?

Nothing scheduled.

Feel free to just come out for a match and shoot with us, The short course tomorrow is perfect for someone just starting out. Nobody will judge you, and everyone is more then welcome to help you out in anyway possible. These matches are not as serious as most think, just a bunch of like minded folks having some fun. A lot of us have ballistic calculators and can spool you up some dope for the course if you ask.

Another great day for shooting at TVP. The rain stopped about ten minutes before the match started and never came back.

We shot the short course twice, I was able to clean the course with all first round hits with a score of 120 and a time bonus for every stage for a 150.

On the second go around we changed some things up to make it interesting and shot the third position by having each shooter shoot all four targets as fast as possible then their partner would do the same. We had a shooter shoot and hit all four targets in less then 30 seconds!
At the first position we changed it up again, we did the same thing but without touching your scope knobs while shooting, using hold over/under on our reticles. Tom, Mark, Mike and Bill all cleaned that stage without touching their scope knobs!
Amazingly most shooters shot better the second go around with the added challenges. Tom and Mike cleaned it that time both with 150 points.

Mark and Tom came out for their first time at TVP and I think they will be back for more. Tom shot the first position holding over with a plain duplex reticle and connected with every target first round except target 1 which he got second round!

photo-22-L.jpg

need to do a no bipod stage too.

They tried that a couple of years back, but after the first stage of nobody hitting anything they gave up and went back to bipods.
Then they tried the infamous "black gun shoot" but despite best efforts to promote it nobody showed up that day.
Most people can not clean the short course with a wind cheating wildcat.
It's a great course of fire for everyone that won't scare off the new guys and will challenge the advanced shooters with trying to hit everything with 12 rounds, and also finish within the time bonus of 5 minutes for two shooters.

Anyone is welcome to shoot the next one standing, sitting, kneeling, wearing a bikini, slung up, unsupported prone or any combination you would like to as long as you do it safely. But let's not make it a requirement for the match, it has a negative affect on attendance.

I think that's the great thing about the short course. I don't think I'd ever take my Scar 17 to shoot the intimidator, but had a great time shooting it on short course. Having the option to add extra challenges for yourself or shoot it straight up is a bonus.

don't be afraid to use the scar other then the 1165 and 1050 they are all within easy reach, and 175's will get you to the long ones,
i have made hits on the 1165 with a 308.

Bob, your skill set is MUCH higher than mine. I'll let you shoot my Scar 17 and I'll stick with your 300wm on the intimidator :)

don't be afraid to use the scar other then the 1165 and 1050 they are all within easy reach, and 175's will get you to the long ones,
i have made hits on the 1165 with a 308.

He speaks the truth, I saw him do it!

Just wanted to tag this thread as I have never been to TVP but will be coming out to shoot eventually. I wasn't able to make the newb shoot but hope to make an open range day or maybe the short course still this year.

Today is 'hump day' and that means its time to start thinking about the weekend! Plan to come out and shoot this weekend at TVP. Saturday we will be taking on the HeadHunter and Sunday the Intimidator. Who is going to come out and show us how it's done?
[/url]

Got to work Saturday, but planning on being there Sunday. Please ask Mrs. Smith to not let everyone eat all the cookies Saturday and save some for me Sunday :)

Great day at TVP. The Headhunter proved to be a challenge for the 10 shooters who came out and gave it their best. Congrats to top scorer Mike C. who got a 10 which was today's top score. He was followed by Margaret who came in second with a 9.

A couple of guys came out that have never shot a match before and had a great time. You don't need a new guy day to come out and play!

photo-23-L.jpg

Got to work Saturday, but planning on being there Sunday. Please ask Mrs. Smith to not let everyone eat all the cookies Saturday and save some for me Sunday :)

Hey Jeff, We will not be there but check the score sheet clip board when you get there tomorrow, you might find a surprise inside. LOL

Don't forget there is a Headhunter on Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Unfortunately the Smiths will not be able to make it this weekend, so bring your own cookies.

Is anybody going to be there sunday the 17th for the head hunter.

There is bound to be a couple of folks there shooting this. A lot of guys have to work Saturdays during the summer and show up for Sunday matches.

Today was a good day of shooting at TVP. A few new faces which is always great to see. Morning started out with a calm wind and a little fog that burned off before we started shooting. Wind slowly picked up during Stage 1 and was shifting/frustrating by the time we finished stage 4.

With the help of shooters who had been out before, we moved 12 shooters through the course pretty quickly. A bunch of us stayed behind afterwards to shoot on the range and practice position 1 of the Intimidator.

Adam and Steve tied for top shooter with 10
Mike and Bob tied for 3rd with 8
Rusty was 5th with a 7

Great time, look forward to seeing everyone again soon!

I would like to come out this Saturday for open-range day...first visit. How does it work? One firing line with targets at various distances? Or are there multiple firing lines? Would like to get drops to 1k+ if possible and familiarize myself with my Kestrel. Thanks!

Of the multiple firing positions at TVP, several are along one firing line...one at the concrete benches and two that are located up a hill off to the right. Primarily the bench positions are in use but it is safe and acceptable for shooters to simultaneously use one of the two higher elevation positions as long as everyone is communicating to know who is where.

From the benches there are steel plates at 100 yard increments to 700 yards and then at 1000 yards. Target boards are available at 100 (for zeroing), 600, and 1000 yards also, although trips back and forth to the longer two berms to replace paper are tough if it is busy. Most people rely on the steel to gauge hits.

From the elevated positions there are steel plates at various ranges. These may be viewed on the schedule page of TVP's website (Thunder Valley Precision » Specialized long range shooting facility), listed as "Headhunter position 1" and "Intimidator position 1". You may need a veteran to guide you onto the plates from these positions as they might be tough to find if you've never acquired them before. It won't be difficult to get someone to go up the hill with you and show you what's up if you choose to do that.

SAFETY FIRST is of course the rule on open range days...instead of one or two shooters on the line as during the competitions, there may be as many as twenty rifles in use simultaneously, so everyone needs to be paying close attention. That said, there have been no incidents, and Tom intends to keep it that way.

There is no place like TVP within a thousand miles. You will learn more about your rifle/s and gain more valuable data in a few hours then in weeks at a typical range.

Range goes hot at 10am. There are concrete benches and 3ft high platforms to shoot prone from.

There are actually a couple of firing lines. The main firing line has steel targets from 200-1000 yards at 100 yard intervals. Also a couple targets at 1 mile. There is another firing line for 100 yard zero.

With permission from Tom, you'll also have the opportunity to shoot position #1 of short course, headhunter, or intimidator. Great way to get your feet wet if you haven't shot a match yet.

It's a great place to shoot with a ton to offer!

Thanks for the info. I'll be there for sure Sat morning.
If you don't mind me asking, are you getting familiarized with the AB Kestrel? I bought one but an so confused. I feel like I need to go back to school and get a degree in Kestrel.

Celebrate Labor Day with us at TVP. We will shoot an Intimidator Short Course combo Saturday and the Headhunter Sunday. Who is planning to join us?

Can someone verify the schedule for September 13,14 please. TVP website says Headhunter on the 13th and Intimidator on the 14th. Would like to do both that weekend but the schedule at the beginning of this thread says closed on the 13th. Thanks

Can someone verify the schedule for September 13,14 please. TVP website says Headhunter on the 13th and Intimidator on the 14th. Would like to do both that weekend but the schedule at the beginning of this thread says closed on the 13th. Thanks

Yea, I see that both the website and the facebook page show both but for some reason SH has it closed. I will be at TVP tomorrow and will ask Tom if there has been a change and we will get it fixed if there is. I will post the answer to your question here when I find out.

Great day at TVP today. Winds were humming along anywhere from 5 to 15 all day. We shot the short course/Intimidator combo and got in lots of great shooting. Margaret and John (aka Mr and Mrs Smith) both cleaned the short course and Margaret went on to get first round hits on the 950, 1165 and 1048 targets and cleaned another stage of the Intimidator to take the top score of the day. Great job everyone, especially the new shooters who came out today.

photo%201-3-L.jpg

photo%202-5-L.jpg

They were using a laser or so it seemed (lol)! .243 is what she told me I do believe. It was our first time there and EVERYONE was very friendly and great. We appreciated the wind calls that we got from Steve. I confirmed a scope problem yesterday in the higher end of adjustment and hopefully the next time there I will have better results. Thanks again to everyone and I hope to see you all again. ...

I'm glad everyone had a great time Saturday.

Awesome job Margret!!! What cartridge are the Smith's using?

We both shoot straight 243's with 28", 7.5 twist barrels, 115 DTAC's at around 3050fps with H1000 powder. Works great when we are doing our part which is not every time, LOL.