• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thunder Valley Precision 2014 Schedule

It was nice shooting with you and your partner Ghostface.

What the Smith's left out of their recipe is this magic coating that they put on their bullets. Personally I think it's leftover brown sugar from the brownies they bring. Regardless, they're both shooting well as a team.

I'm thinking about coming out Sunday, it will be my first time shooting there. I was going to come out Saturday but I have never shot past 600yds. I only have a duplex reticle in my scope and my wife and are are just getting started in match shooting. Any advice ?

I'm thinking about coming out Sunday, it will be my first time shooting there. I was going to come out Saturday but I have never shot past 600yds. I only have a duplex reticle in my scope and my wife and are are just getting started in match shooting. Any advice ?

you dont even have turrets on the scope? just old style capped "coin" turn adjustments?..

if so, you NEED to re-scope ASAP... what part of ohio do you live at?

EDIT: MI.. DOH!... nm...

I have turrets it's not a mil style reticle. My wife has a pst 6-24 ffp with the ebr1 but I have a duplex and capped turrets. It's a Nikon monarch 4-16 with short target turrets.

Last edited:
ok, well thats better, just dont lose track of your zero... do you have ballistic app for your phone?..

if not print out some ballistic cards here
JBM - Calculations - Trajectory ?Card - Constant Drop

if you dont have your true FPS, put "ball park" in, its will get you close enough to see hits so you dont waste to much ammo.. bring enough ammo to stay after the match to get good dope on the guns.. i would say at leas 75 to 100 extra per gun

The Headhunter can be a humbling experience for someone who has never shot at TVP.

The targets are small and hard to find and there is a five minute time limit per stage that goes quick when you can't find the targets!

I only say that because I think it has caused many shooters to never come back after shooting it over the years. Perhaps an open range day where you can shoot steel anywhere from 200 yards to 1 mile would be better.

But if your are up for it come on out, but make sure you don't take it too seriously. There will be plenty of folks there who will help you out if you ask. You will learn a lot more in one match then ten trips to the range could teach you. Your duplex will be fine as long as your scopes track decently and return to zero every time.

Last edited:
I won't take it to heart. I am just wanting to come out and have fun and hopefully learn a lot. My scope goes to zero reliably and I will bring extra so I can practice and get better dope.

"My scope goes to zero reliably"

not what i meant.. meaning, you will spinning that turret A LOT.. dont lose track of your revolutions to get back to zero :)

I only say that because I think it has caused many shooters to never come back after shooting it over the years.
That's been my observation in other rifle and pistol sports as well.....

New shooter suffers major ego deflation. Most can't cope and are never seen again. The hardcore feed on it and go on to get better.

I have turrets it's not a mil style reticle. My wife has a pst 6-24 ffp with the ebr1 but I have a duplex and capped turrets. It's a Nikon monarch 4-16 with short target turrets.

Most of the shooters that come out have some sort of ranging reticle. I've seen a couple of shooters score well with a standard duplex reticle, but they have lots of experience and have become proficient with it.

If you have solid data for your rifle you should be fine. Headhunter does not allow for follow up shots so reticle is not quite as important.

Last edited:
I appreciate the heads up on the ego deflation. I will try and keep my turrets straight until I can afford a better optic. I am shooting my hunting rifle right now. I am working on putting together a .284 right now. I'm missing a few parts the optic being the most expensive. My main goal is to come shoot and learn from a good group of people, regardless of how good I do.

Schedule update:

Saturday: 9-6-14 Open Range Day
Sunday: 9-7-14 Headhunter

The Fall Sniper Match (9-20-14) has been cancelled due to construction.

Please continue to check in here for more schedule updates as we wind down the season. We will keep you posted.

Schedule change from Mr. Sarver himself today.

New and final schedule:

6th open range
7th HH
13th closed
14th Short course
20th open range
21st open range
27th open range till 3pm
28th open range till 3pm

Thanks for the update Mr. Smith. I'll have to make sure I make the last couple of matches of the season.

If any shooters have considered checking out the range or shooting a match, nows the time to do it. The experience you get from one match will give you plenty to work on for next year.

Last Head Hunter match of the season tomorrow. Don't let another shooting season slip away.

Is shooting done after September? I was hoping to get some late season shooting in this fall, my spring and summer has been insanely busy.

Last Headhunter of the season and it was a tough SOB. Bill and Marc cleaned the first stage while some of us got cleaned by that stage! After that it was anyones guess. The fourth stage was alternating between right wind and left wind the entire time and the scores show it! Crazy conditions today but everyone seemed to have a great time.

IMG_4808-L.jpg

Remind me again what is the start time (go hot) on open range days?

My rifle's been down for stock work most of the summer but it's done now (minus paint) and I need to burn some ammo.

Copied from first post.

Start-10:00(Unless posted differently) if you need to zero be early 8:00 (Not on Open Range Days) Range is cold from 9-10 for registration and safety meeting
Members Match Fees (regular) and Range Practice Days $20.00
Non Members Fees (regular) and Range Practice Days $30.00
Membership info at the bottom

Copied from first post.

Start-10:00(Unless posted differently) if you need to zero be early 8:00 (Not on Open Range Days) Range is cold from 9-10 for registration and safety meeting
Members Match Fees (regular) and Range Practice Days $20.00
Non Members Fees (regular) and Range Practice Days $30.00
Membership info at the bottom
Dang sorry for missing that.....thanks.

so that being the last HH what was the high score for it this year ? any idea?

The highest I have in all of my score card pictures for 2014 is July 5th with Steve shooting a 16.

There may be some others but I did not see any in my score card pictures.

I looked back to 2013 and I shot a 16 on 7-11-13, Some guy name Bob shot a 16 on 7-28-13 :), and some dude named Killswitch shot a 16 on 8-24-13.

I came out for the open range day on Saturday. My wife didn't make it because Friday we found out we are going to be parents. She is a better shot than me also. I don't get upset when she out shoots me because that also reflects on the reloads I put together for her.

Don't forget... We will shoot the Short Course Double on Sunday. 10 am start. Last chance to give it your best and see if you have what it takes to join the small group of shooters who have cleaned this deceptively challenging course of fire.
TVP will be closed on Saturday.

I might try to make it to shoot the short course. I ran down last weekend and went through a couple of my hunting rifles before we go out west.

I'm thinking I shot with a few of you on the last couple of head hunter shoots based on your usernames.

I was shooting the Sig .308... I've done far better than I ever would have imagined. If nothing else I will be down for open range next weekend to do a final gut check on my hunting rifles.

It was another great day for shooting at TVP today. Congratulations to Steve and Marc B. for cleaning the short course today for their first time.

We had a few shooters who were new to the short course and they did extremely well for their first go around. Jim brought out his 300 Blackout AR for the first half of the day, it was fun watching him pitch those big bullets at subsonic speed at the long targets, a first round hit was made on the 475 with it.

photo%202-7-L.jpg

Headed out for the first time to stretch out my newish rifle tomorrow. Any tips on stuff I should bring? I'd like to try to run a ladder test. Will that be possible?