• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thunder Valley precision

I used to think the following comment was complete and utter bullshit...until I did it too..... wait until you are breaking clays at 1 mile! ZCO 5-27...was set on 18x and the mirage disappeared...bam....clays broken.
Yeah, w a 22 LR hahaha. I did see some clays out at a mile. Didn't even bother.

I used to think the following comment was complete and utter bullshit...until I did it too..... wait until you are breaking clays at 1 mile! ZCO 5-27...was set on 18x and the mirage disappeared...bam....clays broken.
I have a ZCO 527, but it was also raining. Other issues were the scope rail on the SAUM, the fact that my 6.5 Creedmoor doesn’t shoot the prime group buy ammo better than 1 MOA, and finally, the fact that I’m not that good a shooter.

Does anyone know when the 2500 yard extension is opening?

Does anyone know when the 2500 yard extension is opening?

There are some things that need to take place for this to be opened to most of us. If things go well....you can always join me at the ELR Shoot on Sept 19th. If you see that it got canceled on their Schedule Page ...then things didn't transpire in a timely fashion in time for the event. Fingers crossed!

Also...I believe the other shooting pavilion needs some concrete work. It will be nice to shoot the Mile Benchrest event next year from up there.

Reactions: phlegethon
From the TVP Facebook page:

THE 2020 TVP ELR INVITATIONAL
WHERE IT ALL BEGAN!
Date, September 19 2020
Start Time 10 am
Course of fire
25 rounds total
4 steel targets from 1760 to 2400 yards
5 rounds each target cold bore
A one target paper match 5 shots cold bore at one mile for group and score
20 shooter limit
$150.00 match fee
There will be only one winner
$500 to the top shooter
Tie breaker if necessary
Shooters can shoot from bench or prone.
Bring what you have and show everyone what you can do with it.
.416 and under only
Email [email protected] for pre-registration only.
You must be registered by 12 noon September 16th 2020
Registration will start at 12 noon September 9th 2020
Concessions will be available

Good luck!

email sent...thanks for the info.
I would love to go but I didn’t realize how soon it is. Given my work schedule I’d have only Thursday and Friday to develop a load for the barrel I want to use, and I’d only be able to verify it at 1k.

Reactions: b2lee
I’m going to do some testing today. If it looks like this thing really wants to shoot then I’ll give it a try.

How did the testing go?

My testing today wasn't exactly what I wanted :( I settled on a load with some 250gr A-Tips and a certain seating depth. I'll go lay my money down and get some schooling and maybe I'll learn something while I'm there. At 1240 rounds...my barrel has gone from amazing to meh. This should be the last event for this barrel....hopefully.

See you guys there...whether you are watching or competing.

How did the testing go?

My testing today wasn't exactly what I wanted :( I settled on a load with some 250gr A-Tips and a certain seating depth. I'll go lay my money down and get some schooling and maybe I'll learn something while I'm there. At 1240 rounds...my barrel has gone from amazing to meh. This should be the last event for this barrel....hopefully.

See you guys there...whether you are watching or competing.
It’s still in progress and will be right down to the wire. I think I’m going with the 230 A-tips and N565. My barrel actually seems to like H1000 better than the N565 with the 250s, but I think they may just be too large for the cartridge. I only have a 1:9 twist, so I worry a bit about stability (yes they are stable, but god knows what happens when those monsters go transonic).

In general I am also a bit nervous with load development in this Archimedes action since it has a Springfield style ejector and so you don’t really get marks on the brass until things are pretty crazy.

I guess I'll find out about transonic on my estimate of what Target #3 will be....2200yds....actually...here is my guess...

1. 1760yds - 18" round plate.
2. 1900yds - 20" round plate.
3. 2200yds - 24" square plate.
4. 2400yds - 24" square plate.
5. 1760yds - 42" 1000yd benchrest paper for 5 shot group.

Let's see how close I come....also...if those targets above hold true...man those are tiny targets.

1. 0.98MOA
2. 1.005MOA
3. 1.042MOA
4. 0.955MOA
5. You will be amazed at the percentage of people that will miss at least one shot....if the winds are tricky...maybe all of us.

5. You will be amazed at the percentage of people that will miss at least one shot....if the winds are tricky...maybe all of us.
No, I think most will miss quite a few shots. If the targets are really 1 MOA then I think the overall hit percentage will be well under 50. Look at Ko2M results in the past—most don’t hit the cold bore at less than a mile, and well under half are hitting at 2400 (I don’t remember what the target sizes were but I think closer to 1.5-2MOA).

for #5...I was talking about missing at least one out of 5 at 1760 on a 42x42" piece of paper...for some reason...paper is harder for me to hit than steel. Steel seems to magically pull the bullet towards it.

I always like to see how I stack up against others at ELR....I wish my barrel was a little fresher...but that won't be an excuse...the MV's are very stable...and if it still shoots under 3/4MOA...I got no excuses. I'll be there...and if I finish dead last...well...I was still there instead of behind a keyboard on the intardnets telling people how they should do it....heh

Now I just gotta survive the work week.....come on Saturday already.

Let me know when they'll allow 50 cals(the only ELR rifles I have now) and I'll come play.
SJC

probably not going to happen....50's are bad ju ju' for the steel. Plus...get something more accurate...like a 37xc or 375cheytac or 416.... ;)

The problem with 50s ain't so much the cartridge...but what the average 50 guy does with bullet selection...hey...these 50 cal tracers are only $29.99 a hundred!!! Or they bring some armor piercing crap.

probably not going to happen....50's are bad ju ju' for the steel. Plus...get something more accurate...like a 37xc or 375cheytac or 416.... ;)

The problem with 50s ain't so much the cartridge...but what the average 50 guy does with bullet selection...hey...these 50 cal tracers are only $29.99 a hundred!!! Or they bring some armor piercing crap.
I have a .50 chambered by Mark King for 808 grain solids. It would probably do a hell of a lot better than my 300 PRC. I should probably get a .416 barrel one of these days...

So raufoss rounds would definitely be a No No ? :unsure:
I only load Lehigh , Amax and cutting edge projos.
Maybe a No tracer, AP or any other 50 cal magnetic projo restriction for 2021 ?
I could also start a go fund me for some 3/4" 50 cal rated steel for those long range targets ?

So raufoss rounds would definitely be a No No ? :unsure:
I only load Lehigh , Amax and cutting edge projos.
Maybe a No tracer, AP or any other 50 cal magnetic projo restriction for 2021 ?
I could also start a go fund me for some 3/4" 50 cal rated steel for those long range targets ?
I was going to say it shouldn't be an issue at these distances. Then I looked it up and saw a borerider has 4,000 lb-ft of energy at a mile. 😳

Me and my wife made it up there a few weeks back for the first time. Very nice place. Man o man was it windy.

view over my wife’s shoulder as she was shooting and hitting at 1000. She had the biggest smile on her face. That sound of ringing steel at that distance is so sweet.

we each shoot our own Tikka T3x TacA1 in 6.5cm

other pics are me holding my phone up to our spotter to show the target below #11 she was hitting.

A9D9DA7D-8199-48CD-95E3-A11519E0F288.jpeg
A9D9DA7D-8199-48CD-95E3-A11519E0F288.jpeg
CE33CBDB-C17E-4E1C-9704-44BE2E252D3A.png
31B0613E-25E9-4A49-87FD-C50F62F8591F.jpeg

Me and my wife made it up there a few weeks back for the first time. Very nice place. Man o man was it windy.

view over my wife’s shoulder as she was shooting and hitting at 1000. She had the biggest smile on her face. That sound of ringing steel at that distance is so sweet.

we each shoot our own Tikka T3x TacA1 in 6.5cm

other pics are me holding my phone up to our spotter to show the target below #11 she was hitting.

View attachment 7425957View attachment 7425957View attachment 7425958View attachment 7425959

TVP and Rayner's can't be beaten

We're lucky here.

I am headed up (well, over to the west I guess) for the first time next weekend, I will be shooting 10/10 (and maybe 10/11 if I decide i need a 2nd day). Coming from Northern Virginia (just under a 6hr trek)... Anyone have any recommendations on hotels (staying in Canton Friday night after seeing the NFL HOF).

First time getting to stretch my SAC260 and GAP6.5CM past 600yards.

Reactions: thesemperfidude
I am headed up (well, over to the west I guess) for the first time next weekend, I will be shooting 10/10 (and maybe 10/11 if I decide i need a 2nd day). Coming from Northern Virginia (just under a 6hr trek)... Anyone have any recommendations on hotels (staying in Canton Friday night after seeing the NFL HOF).

First time getting to stretch my SAC260 and GAP6.5CM past 600yards.
Cambridge will have the best selection closest to TVP. The Salt Fork State Park's lodge is also a cool option. The park is a few miles north of Cambridge on I-77.

From Cambridge, head out west on OH-209 then north on OH-662, to north on OH-93, to east on Township Road 145. Take a left at the junction of Township Roads 145 and 118 and TVP will be on your right.

From the state park lodge, make your way out of the park to the west to south on Old Twenty One Road to west on OH-541 (Plainfield Road). You'll go through Kimbolton and stay west on 541 to Township Road 118. Turn south (left) on TR 118 to TVP.

Reactions: REL1203
@REL1203 Rayner's Range is another outstanding option about 1 hr south of TVP.

If I were you I'd plan on hitting both the same day or the same weekend. Here's Rayner's schedule, call ahead to be sure: http://www.raynersrange.com/schedule/schedule2020.html

Notice that there is nothing scheduled for the weekend of Oct 10th. So as long as nothing odd is going on those two days (call Rayner's ahead) you should be able to hit both of them.

Reactions: roostercogburn98

So no 50s allowed anymore? He used to put up the square clays for people to shoot the 50 at. I took my Barrett there a couple times and shot, but that was 2013-2015 ish.

@REL1203 Rayner's Range is another outstanding option about 1 hr south of TVP.

If I were you I'd plan on hitting both the same day or the same weekend. Here's Rayner's schedule, call ahead to be sure: http://www.raynersrange.com/schedule/schedule2020.html

Notice that there is nothing scheduled for the weekend of Oct 10th. So as long as nothing odd is going on those two days (call Rayner's ahead) you should be able to hit both of them.

I had heard of this range a few time, but does it offer anything different (or better) than TVP does or just a different place to shoot?

So no 50s allowed anymore? He used to put up the square clays for people to shoot the 50 at. I took my Barrett there a couple times and shot, but that was 2013-2015 ish.

From the website:

NOTE:

Dates are subject to change due to possible unforeseen circumstances, weather conditions, and situations out of my control.

If the range is wet and muddy we will walk.
Bolts open, out, or chamber flags in BEFORE rifles are brought onto TVP property and/or removed from vehicles and gun cases.
Police up your brass and place in containers provided.
No .50 cals unless I give you permission personally.
No tracers, green tips or API EVER on TVP property.
If other shooters complain or report to me or a TVP Range Safety Officer that you are being unsafe you will get one warning.
The 2nd offense – you will be asked to leave.
Safety is our number one priority.
The Range Safety Officer is in charge if I’m not present. What he says goes. Don’t argue with the Range Safety Officers.

I had heard of this range a few time, but does it offer anything different (or better) than TVP does or just a different place to shoot?
At TVP you're tied to one firing position and your only target choices are 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 1000, 1100, 1200, 1780 yards

Rayner's tops out at 1000 yds. They have six or seven shooting positions throughout the property. Each position has typically two or three target arrays at odd distances and those arrays are similar to KYL racks with different size plates side by side.

At TVP you're tied to one firing position and your only target choices are 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 1000, 1100, 1200, 1780 yards

Rayner's tops out at 1000 yds. They have six or seven shooting positions throughout the property. Each position has typically two or three target arrays at odd distances and those arrays are similar to KYL racks with different size plates side by side.

I just YouTube'd it and found what you mean... They need to put that type of Info on their website cause that definitely makes them a little different.. I might have to go to their range on that Sunday as I don't think I will have time on Saturday since TVP is only open 10-3.

I just YouTube'd it and found what you mean... They need to put that type of Info on their website cause that definitely makes them a little different.. I might have to go to their range on that Sunday as I don't think I will have time on Saturday since TVP is only open 10-3.

Should be 10-4...but usually it is 10-5....which...with the stupid seasons changing...will be almost dark...bleh...I hate the Winter...and it is closing in fast.

Depending on how far you want to go and how much you want to shoot, you could do TVP 10 - 12 and Rayner's 1 - 3 or 4 if you're pressed for time. If you can dedicate a whole day to each even better.

You can do TVP faster because you're not hiking/driving from one position to the other and because there's only one target at each distance.

Just wanted to say thanks to Everybody for all the help here. I was about to get to TVP on Saturday before 10, , and got to spend about 3.5hrs there before I had to leave to get back to Canton before my Bike Shop closed at 3pm

Everything was pretty easy getting out to 1200 (the wind definitly gets tricky with crossing winds but got dialed in and was constantly ringing at 1200) with my SAC .260. I decided to take on the mile at that point. First shot was a couple feet right (cause of wind) and slightly high. After walking it in slowly, I knew I was bound to get it sooner or later, and on Shot #6, I smacked the Mile Target and the smile across my face was huge, I raised my fist in excitement. This has been a bucket list item for me since I was a kid. I took 5 more shots and hit it twice more with the SAC .260.

I moved over to shooting my GAP Crusader 6.5CM, and again, made it to 1200y easily following my dope (Wind was the only hard part for me as I really have no experience judging wind). After ringing steel at 1200 4 times in a row, i moved to the mile. For my CM, I am shooting Hornady 140 ELDM Factory cause the GAP shooting 1/5" groups at 100with it, and I havent started reloading for it yet. I figured the GAP was going to struggle a little more than the .260 (It needed about 8MOA more in elevation if I remember correctly), but on shot 5 or 6 at a Mile, I nailed it dead center, and before the wind could change, I sent another 2 rounds and connected on all of them. 3 in a row at a mile, I couldnt have been happier, winds then shifted and out of the next 4 rounds, i only connected 1 more time, but I was still super happy.

I took both rifles back down to 1000yards, and kept nailing Steel there with ease honestly. I had so much fun in those short 3.5hrs doing what I had always envisioned those 2 rifles would do, that I was sad to leave, but had to. Before driving back to VA on Sunday, i decided to delay my leave time so I could go back to TVP and spend an hour shooting again. Sunday was definitely busier, I got to talk to Tom Some as he installed a new ATACR 7-35 on a shooters 338LM Ruger PRS (this is the same Optic I have on my GAP 6.5cm). After discussing the optic for awhile, Tom agreed it pretty much near the top in terms of best overall scope.

I spent that hour enjoying the sound of Pinging steel at a glorious range. If it was 5.5hrs from where I live, I would be there much more frequently, but maybe once every 6 months or so is good enough. For those that havent been, its worth it.

Shooting at that mile target, and knowing Tom is going to be adding even more distance sooner than later, makes me want to build a 300PRC or something with a longer longer reach.

Next time, I am going to try Rayners, i just didn't have time on Sunday to learn a new place.

Attachments

• 121257193_10218446042967131_8952772076887565963_o.jpg
    121257193_10218446042967131_8952772076887565963_o.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 121214260_10218446042407117_7634945859700780215_o.jpg
    121214260_10218446042407117_7634945859700780215_o.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 121259388_10218446036766976_802990475601697115_o.jpg
    121259388_10218446036766976_802990475601697115_o.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Reactions: b2lee
TVP is a destination that all long range shooters should get to at least once in their lives. It is a true paradise....and all those that make the journey will have a longing to return once again. Tom makes beautiful rifles with incredible precision...but his crowning masterpiece is the range itself...and it is only going to get better.

May see you guys there Saturday for 2A day if I can get out of work.

Just wanted to say thanks to Everybody for all the help here. I was about to get to TVP on Saturday before 10, , and got to spend about 3.5hrs there before I had to leave to get back to Canton before my Bike Shop closed at 3pm

Everything was pretty easy getting out to 1200 (the wind definitly gets tricky with crossing winds but got dialed in and was constantly ringing at 1200) with my SAC .260. I decided to take on the mile at that point. First shot was a couple feet right (cause of wind) and slightly high. After walking it in slowly, I knew I was bound to get it sooner or later, and on Shot #6, I smacked the Mile Target and the smile across my face was huge, I raised my fist in excitement. This has been a bucket list item for me since I was a kid. I took 5 more shots and hit it twice more with the SAC .260.

I moved over to shooting my GAP Crusader 6.5CM, and again, made it to 1200y easily following my dope (Wind was the only hard part for me as I really have no experience judging wind). After ringing steel at 1200 4 times in a row, i moved to the mile. For my CM, I am shooting Hornady 140 ELDM Factory cause the GAP shooting 1/5" groups at 100with it, and I havent started reloading for it yet. I figured the GAP was going to struggle a little more than the .260 (It needed about 8MOA more in elevation if I remember correctly), but on shot 5 or 6 at a Mile, I nailed it dead center, and before the wind could change, I sent another 2 rounds and connected on all of them. 3 in a row at a mile, I couldnt have been happier, winds then shifted and out of the next 4 rounds, i only connected 1 more time, but I was still super happy.

I took both rifles back down to 1000yards, and kept nailing Steel there with ease honestly. I had so much fun in those short 3.5hrs doing what I had always envisioned those 2 rifles would do, that I was sad to leave, but had to. Before driving back to VA on Sunday, i decided to delay my leave time so I could go back to TVP and spend an hour shooting again. Sunday was definitely busier, I got to talk to Tom Some as he installed a new ATACR 7-35 on a shooters 338LM Ruger PRS (this is the same Optic I have on my GAP 6.5cm). After discussing the optic for awhile, Tom agreed it pretty much near the top in terms of best overall scope.

I spent that hour enjoying the sound of Pinging steel at a glorious range. If it was 5.5hrs from where I live, I would be there much more frequently, but maybe once every 6 months or so is good enough. For those that havent been, its worth it.

Shooting at that mile target, and knowing Tom is going to be adding even more distance sooner than later, makes me want to build a 300PRC or something with a longer longer reach.

Next time, I am going to try Rayners, i just didn't have time on Sunday to learn a new place.
Very cool place ain't it?

I was there on Sunday with @Gustav7, his first time there. Sunday winds were switchy as all get out but I lucked out on the 1100 yard gong with a 17" 308 and Gustav7 did the mile deed with his 6.5.

Wish we had known, would have stopped by to say hello.

Reactions: Gustav7
Very cool place ain't it?

I was there on Sunday with @Gustav7, his first time there. Sunday winds were switchy as all get out but I lucked out on the 1100 yard gong with a 17" 308 and Gustav7 did the mile deed with his 6.5.

Where you guys there at opening 10am? Were you all the way to the right by the 100yard site in bench?

Where you guys there at opening 10am? Were you all the way to the right by the 100yard site in bench?
We were there right at 10 on Sunday, but we were just left of the RO's platform. We were prone so we were easy to miss between the benches.

Big shoutout to @308pirate for giving me some pointers and helping me spot out to 700, 1000, and stretching the legs on the 6.5cm to a mile. Even got some good positional shooting on a ladder out to 700yds.

My first time at TVP and my first time taking my rifle out past 400ish yards. Confirmed/adjusted DOPE out to 1000 and got to see what a switchy head wind was all about haha.

Never thought I'd even try for a mile, let alone connect. Really puts into perspective why having good glass is such a priority with longer ranges. Was very happy my handloads performed like they did and ready to go back again.

Man, what'd I'd pay to have freshly painted plates and the range to myself

Reactions: 308pirate
Man, what'd I'd pay to have freshly painted plates and the range to myself

if I had to name one thing I could think could be improved upon at TVP it would be to paint the Steel a little more frequently.

I saw you guys shooting, I wish I would have known you were hide members and would have come said hi.
Congrats on reaching the mile, it’s a good feeling isn’t it?

Reactions: 308pirate
if I had to name one thing I could think could be improved upon at TVP it would be to paint the Steel a little more frequently.

I saw you guys shooting, I wish I would have known you were hide members and would have come said hi.
Congrats on reaching the mile, it’s a good feeling isn’t it?

No worries, maybe we can link up next time.

Thanks, and ya, a mile felt a little surreal. Ran 24 mils, and had good windage but shot low. Adjusted up to 25 mils, and then played that head wind game for 6-7 shots, and then connected. We think I hit it a second time around shot 10 or so, but the 6.5 doesn't exactly make a big splash at a mile lol.

I've been hammering fundamentals for the last few months at 100yds at my shooting club, and I think that really helped. I felt more comfortable and solid shooting at 1000yds Sunday than I did at 400yds a year ago.

Usually...everything past 600 yards stays painted pretty well ;)
LOL... I did notice the 1000yd targets were considerably more white than 600 and in

I've been hammering fundamentals for the last few months at 100yds at my shooting club, and I think that really helped. I felt more comfortable and solid shooting at 1000yds Sunday than I did at 400yds a year ago

@REL1203 I have some catching up to do to this young buck. I've been going hard at USPSA for the last two years and it was starting to show.

Reactions: Gustav7
And the prices aren’t bad at all.
Where did you see any pricing?

I just took a look at their site....wow, beautiful place and while certainly not local to Maryland, if there was (for example) a course I wanted to take there then SE Ohio is an reasonably easy drive.

I just took a look at their site....wow, beautiful place and while certainly not local to Maryland, if there was (for example) a course I wanted to take there then SE Ohio is an reasonably easy drive.

Depending on where in Maryland you are, it could be as short as a 7 hr drive.

Where did you see any pricing?

You can contact TVP and get on their email list. This is the last update email I got.... for $250 you get some seriously legitimate training from Tom

Hello Shooters!
We have training classes available for the following:
October 16th - Precision 1,2 Combined
Focusing on data collection and wind.
October 30th - Advanced Wind
Focusing on wind calls from various locations and positions out on the range.
Class times are 8:30-3:00. Cost is $250 per shooter for the day and requires 100 rounds of ammo.
Please let me know if you’re interested in registering!
Thank you,
Kristene
TVP

P.S. Please join us for our First Annual 2A Day, a 2nd Amendment Celebration with shooting, concessions, drawings and more! Mark your calendar for October 17th, 10:00-5:00!

Depending on where in Maryland you are, it could be as short as a 7 hr drive.
I'm between Baltimore and DC....just drive out 270 to 70 to Ohio. Google says its 384 miles...so maybe even a bit less then 7 hours. I can do up to 10 hours . More and I will need a crane to get me and this lousy lumbar standing back up! haha

You in Ohio? I was born in Pittsburgh but that was a very long time ago.

You can contact TVP and get on their email list. This is the last update email I got.... for $250 you get some seriously legitimate training from Tom
Thank you, I will do that. I'm retired...so I can do mid-week when ranges and personnel are often more available.

Thanks...really enjoyed reading this thread. And wow, that place is really nice.

Last edited: