• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Thunderbeast vs Allen Engineering

RickyRodney

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2014
MD
I'm in the market for a 5.56 and .30 cal suppressor and I can't decide between the too. These are my current thoughts on the 2 manufactures of the cans, and I would prefer to stick to 1 company and get both cans from either. I'm honeslty leaning to the allen engineering, after hearing a 12th model SPR the tone was very impressive, and from what I understand all allen engineering cans are also full auto rated a testament to their durability. These cans are going to be for a DTA and bolt guns, and an AR.

Thunder Beast

Pros
Lighter
No barrel profiling

Cons
Expensive
Durability

Allen Engineering

Pros
Price
Durability
Sound suppression

Cons
Weight
barrel profiling needed

Am I missing anything?

It depends on what your needs are to what can you should get and these cans are suited to different needs. What are your needs?

On another note I am not interested in sending my money into the communist country know as comiforina. :) I would send my money to Wyoming as they are suppressor friendly.

Also tell us about you, where you are from, why you are choosing these 2?

Last edited:
You need to remove durability from your list unless youre comparing 2 FA cans. TB has a FA rated .223 so if youre going to compare, and list durability as a con, you need to compare equal cans. With that being said, you may find it helpful to do some research on here a bit more. I dont know that you will find anyone who is not happy with their TBAC and durability has never come up once.

My opinion is TBAC all the way but your milage may vary. Youre also missing a huge pro for TBAC and thats Customer Service, Industry Support, etc. Oh yeah and ACCURACY.. Another on your list may be Templar Tactical.

I would vote TBAC might check out SilencerCo too. I wouldn't recommend Templar Tactical personally, they just don't have their shit together IMO.

My opinion is TBAC all the way but your milage may vary. Youre also missing a huge pro for TBAC and thats Customer Service, Industry Support, etc. Oh yeah and ACCURACY..

He's missing NONE of that if he buys any Ron Allen product.

Accuracy is paramount. Sound is second. Price is third. Weight is fourth. In my priorities. I was really impressed with my friends 12th model on his 16" POF .223 in terms of sound and accuracy. Which has made me look at Allen Engineering. I like the idea that Ron has said "If it fits down the bore, I'll honor the warranty." Thats pretty bold. And My friend has talked to Ron directly and even sent him a free mount. I think his customer service is pretty good. After talking to rangerwalker the prices are about even. ThunderBeast has been all the rage on the hide for a while and they get good reviews so they are on my list.

I'm just going to use these cans for target shooting.

As I've already posted in other threads, I've been running an OPS INC. 3rd Model .30 cal on my duty stick (Warner Tool .308 bolt gun) and a 15th Model .22 cal on my duty COLT M4 (14.5" barrel) for years with ZERO issues (I also have A LOT of time on a Windrunner .408 Cheytac outfitted with an Ops Inc 3rd Model). Outstanding sound suppression, repeatable and durability - outstanding customer service. Anytime I call Allen Engineering, Ron picks up (or calls back shortly) and will answer any dumb question I have. His cans are accurate, repeatable and quiet. Ron is THE high-speed guy when it comes to suppressor knowledge and engineering - I believe Phil Seberger once described him in a conversation we had years ago (before his passing) as ,"the best machinist I have ever seen".

If you pick up an Allen Engineering can you will not be sorry.....

I would vote TBAC might check out SilencerCo too. I wouldn't recommend Templar Tactical personally, they just don't have their shit together IMO.

I second that, Run, dont walk away from Templar Tactical, they said they would upgrade my can (that I already owned) in 1 week, that was back in january, they still have my can (and they cashed my check for the upgrade cost) and I am still waiting for the upgrade. All of the TBAC cans I have seen have been first class as well as any interaction with them. I have never dealt with Allen but have heard good things.

Fiveoshooter what do you think of the ops inc 3rd model in terms of tone/sound compared to other .30 cal cans? Can I expect a tone like the 12th model SPR out of the .30 cal Ron Allen can? If so I'm gonna go Allen engineering and I'll buy a thunder beast later.

Has anyone actually heard these cans side-by-side? And is everyone stating I'm likely to see a difference in accuracy between the cans?

I second that, Run, dont walk away from Templar Tactical, they said they would upgrade my can (that I already owned) in 1 week, that was back in january, they still have my can (and they cashed my check for the upgrade cost) and I am still waiting for the upgrade. All of the TBAC cans I have seen have been first class as well as any interaction with them. I have never dealt with Allen but have heard good things.

How much was the upgrade?

I run Ron Allen's products. I have a 30 cal can and a couple 22 cal cans. I've been very happy with their products. I can't speak to their customer service because I've never had to use it. Ron is a top notch guy and his products are solid and accurate. I do like the tone of the Allen Engineering products when compared to AAC and Surefire, but I have not heard it side by side with Zak's Thunderbeast suppressor(s).

Fiveoshooter what do you think of the ops inc 3rd model in terms of tone/sound compared to other .30 cal cans? Can I expect a tone like the 12th model SPR out of the .30 cal Ron Allen can? If so I'm gonna go Allen engineering and I'll buy a thunder beast later.

Has anyone actually heard these cans side-by-side? And is everyone stating I'm likely to see a difference in accuracy between the cans?

No too long ago, I shot an OPS INC. 3rd Model, an AE30, a Surefire 762SS and a Specwar 762 side-by-side during a sustainment training session. I took off my ear pro just to get a listen of several shots from each and found that the 3rd Model and AE30 were hands down the quietest to me, and this was confirmed by other shooters present. Cans from different manufacturers resonate differently due to different factors and according to my observations the cans made by Ron give the best sound suppression, and more importantly to me, repeatability.

I also have a good amount of time on a suppressed Mk12 and it sounds very similar to the .30cal 3rd Model/AE30 suppressors.

I'm sure you can't go wrong with either but I'm pretty sure you could ask a question about a Thunderbeast suppressor on a basket weaving forum and Zak would show up there to answer it.

Accuracy is paramount. Sound is second. Price is third. Weight is fourth. In my priorities. I was really impressed with my friends 12th model on his 16" POF .223 in terms of sound and accuracy. Which has made me look at Allen Engineering. I like the idea that Ron has said "If it fits down the bore, I'll honor the warranty." Thats pretty bold. And My friend has talked to Ron directly and even sent him a free mount. I think his customer service is pretty good. After talking to rangerwalker the prices are about even. ThunderBeast has been all the rage on the hide for a while and they get good reviews so they are on my list.

I'm just going to use these cans for target shooting.

How much is rangewalker wanting for the AE30? I too have been considering picking one of those up as well after I shot an ops inc can.

I'd go RonA, just my opinion. Own a 556 and a 30cal from him (ops inc name on side tho) and love them. Ive talked to him a few times on the phone and he's always been awsome and hooked me up with some off the wall custom collars he made for me no questions asked. I've had no issues with accuracy since people keep mentioning that, it hits, i put it on and it hits.

I dont have any experience with TBAC, but have only heard good things about them, so I think in the end its apples to apples.

The difference being mounting applications. In my opinion I prefer the two point attachment, it gives me a piece of mind, again thats just my opinion and some dont like having collars or having a barrel contoured, but those are the gays.

the questions I believe to be asked is, who has either of those in stock on hand, and how much it cost

POI and Accuracy are my most important factors. Therefore TBAC all the way.

I have 3 Ops Inc cans (both 12th's & a 15th) & an AEM2 (M4M) in can jail. I ran the .30 12th on my MK12 until the .22 12th came home. The first 5 through the .22 12th (rifle was still zeroed for the .30 12th) grouped as follows.

MK262MOD15rnds100yrdsviaMK12MOD1_zpsbd6fa4ff.jpg

Ron's cans are overbuilt for abuse, sound great, shoot great with no perceivable POI shift on my rigs & they allow for a shorter OAL. As for customer service, I'm sure there are other can manufacturers that take great care of their customers but I can assure you, NONE take better care. Ron is top shelf & that's a bullshit free assessment.

I have 3 Ops Inc cans (both 12th's & a 15th) & an AEM2 (M4M) in can jail. I ran the .30 12th on my MK12 until the .22 12th came home. The first 5 through the .22 12th (rifle was still zeroed for the .30 12th) grouped as follows.

MK262MOD15rnds100yrdsviaMK12MOD1_zpsbd6fa4ff.jpg

Ron's cans are overbuilt for abuse, sound great, shoot great with no perceivable POI shift on my rigs & they allow for a shorter OAL. As for customer service, I'm sure there are other can manufacturers that take great care of their customers but I can assure you, NONE take better care. Ron is top shelf & that's a bullshit free assessment.

Its just got to be true esp since you added "its a bullshit free assessment" LOL Funny place this is....

To OP... Get to a dealer where you can test drive and handle both then make a educated decision on what is best for you.
I see you have talked to rangerwalker. If your close to him get over there for the test drive. He is great guy, Gave me my first test drive years ago in KampKumbaya.

Last edited:
Where are you all purchasing your AE cans? I have been looking today and have contacted a couple of "dealers" listed on AE website, but so far no luck.

Where are you all purchasing your AE cans? I have been looking today and have contacted a couple of "dealers" listed on AE website, but so far no luck.
I saw them on ADCO's site, if OH is out of state you could buy it there and have it transferred to your local dealer on a Form 3.

Ron's cans are overbuilt for sexual abuse, pound great, shoot goo with a perceivable POV shift on her face & they swallow for a shorter cleanup. As for customer service, I'm sure there are other can manufacturers that provide a happy ending for their customers but I can assure you, NONE take better care. Ron's whores are top shelf & that's a "bullshit free assessment."

300002.jpg

The can at the end of the barrel that produced this group is an AE30. I'm no expert on suppressors like some guys on this board, but this one is treating me pretty good!

Doesn't hurt that GA Precision did the machining on the fit either.

Ron's cans are overbuilt for sexual abuse, pound great, shoot goo with a perceivable POV shift on her face & they swallow for a shorter cleanup. As for customer service, I'm sure there are other can manufacturers that provide a happy ending for their customers but I can assure you, NONE take better care. Ron's whores are top shelf & that's a "bullshit free assessment."

Regarding your signature - "I am starting a campaign to convert all snipershide members to a better, more professional, and more informative forum ........."

Do you limit your douchebaggery to just the Hide or is that in play over at this other "more professional" forum as well?

Regarding your signature - "I am starting a campaign to convert all snipershide members to a better, more professional, and more informative forum ........."

Do you limit your douchebaggery to just the Hide or is that in play over at this other "more professional" forum as well?

well aint that just pullin the prick outta the poodle and calling the cock clean? bam! that just happened cracker jack!

Shot a Thunderbeast .30 cal suppressor (think it was a 30P or P-1) on a buddy's stick (.308 GAP 20" Rock) right next to my duty Warner Tool Co. (.308 R700 20") with my Ops Inc. .30 cal. 3rd Model. I'd compare it to a M&P .45 vs. a HK45 (my can being the HK).

We are in fact moving suppressor manufacturing to Sparks NV. ATF has showed us the door, Cal DOJ told us not to let it hit us on the ass on the way out.

I don't know why anyone in the firearms business would open a business or stay in comifornia on their own accord.

More importantly why were you shown the door while others have not been? Serious question?

My TBAC 30BA has been excellent on a couple of M700-based customs & the two bbls (6x47L & 284 Win) I've done for my DTA SRS. Accuracy, lack of POI shift, and consistency are head & shoulders above what I experienced with my AAC SCAR-H - no real surprise there. Whatever - I'm pretty much completely satisfied with Zak's products, and will likely be looking into updating my BA mounts when the new 2-chamber brake/mount adaptors are available.

The only experience I have with Ron's products was threading a friend's 223 bolt rifle bbl for an Ops Inc brake/mount. When I had questions about the process, Ron was quick to answer them with an easy to understand explanation. Based on that & the accuracy my friend gets out of his 223 with the can mounted, if I were in the market for another can, I would certainly consider his product.

What type of DTA are you running? Covert? SRS with 26“ barrel? The reason I ask is that the reflex style of the AE30 might not fit under the DTA handguard. The Ops Inc 3rd model is 1.5" in diameter and that won't fit under the handguard on my DTA... That'd put you to drop coin on the TBAC.

Personally I have two Templar Tactical suppressors and aside from their poor communication I have nothing bad to say about them. The suppressors are top notch, but I jumped on the group buy early on and seem to have dodged a lot of the issues with their service. I am currently looking for another 30cal in GA and chose to go with the TBAC 30P-1 for use on my DTA and build in the works.

does anybody know what diameter are the ops inc/ ae30 silencers are? Just curious if there 1.5 like most manufactures

I don't know why anyone in the firearms business would open a business or stay in comifornia on their own accord.

More importantly why were you shown the door while others have not been? Serious question?

Actually, I can still do business in CA. I just can't do Form 3 transfers. Form 5 only.

And Surefire can just keep on manufacturing and doing business?

Surefire is deeply engrained with the military….. therefore they have some backing from the Gov.

I have suppressors from both Ron and TBAC. Honestly I would go with whoever has the suppressor in stock and ready to transfer and what price you feel comfortable paying.
The only trade off is weight and barrel contouring. If you go with Allen you will need to profile your barrel and that is going to be an added cost. And, on a light contour barrel weight of your suppressor WILL have an affect on POI change.

"Meh"??

Care to be more specific?

You know, I misspoke. I'm happy with my 30P-1. Quality, fit and finish, customer service, POI shift are all top notch. I was comparing it to another can I own, but while PMing Zak, he told me something I didn't realize is that materials and weight play a factor into the suppression. So I wasn't comparing apples to apples.

Apologies to Zak and his company.