• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka 223 New Twist Rate

Nosler243Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Alabama
I had planned to order a Tikka T3 lite stainless next week in a 1 in 8 twist but I have heard that it has been changed to a 10 twist. Is this true? How heavy a bullet can a 10 twist stabilize?

I bought another T3 lite about 3 weeks ago and had the choice of a 1-8 or 1-12 (ordered new from the factory), just checked the Tikka website and they don't list a 1-10...Again it might be a very recent change and they haven't updated their site?

I just bought a sako 85 stainless varmint .223 and it also came in 1:10. Got it from eurooptic and they said thats what they are offering now.

Newer ones are indeed 1:10 this side of the pond. Seems the Europeans and Aussies are still able to get the 1:8's. I was able to snag a 1:8 stainless varmint off Gunbroker a couple days ago. Wasn't listed as 1:8, but an enlarged inspection of some of the pictures revealed the twist stamping on the barrel. Can't wait to get it in my hands.

I do see teh 1:8 Lites pop up too. There was a blued one on Gunbroker a couple days ago. Don't know if it is still there.

I have a rem 700P in 1:9 and the heaviest I can get is around 70gr. Personally, I would not buy another .223 bolt rifle in anything less than 1:8-- unless you plan to keep your shooting under 200 yards or are simply trying to get hits on big pieces of plate steel.

The .223 is cheap to load and learn on, but not much you can do with it distance wise if you can't shoot the 75gr+ bullets. Really, strongly consider what you want to do with this rifle...

I had a Sig 556 DMR that came with a 21" 10-twist barrel. Contrary to the popular belief of many internet theoretical keyboard ballisticians, it worked just fine with everything I shot out of it, up to and including 77 gr SMKs. Having said that, why risk getting a rifle that just might be limited to only the lighter (shorter) pills? Go with the 1:8 twist barrel if you can get it, but if not, I would be looking for something else that actually does come with an 8-twist or 7-twist barrel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. The only rifle I could find was a 10 twist. It is my Dad's Christmas present. I had originally wanted to get him a Savage 10 PC 9 twist but He said he liked the Tikka better and would be fine with the twist rate. We have two 9 twist 223s and both will shoot the 77gr match kings very well. It is going to be used for hunting anyway so a 65 grain game king will be as large as he will try to go. It should be here in a few days.

beretta is determined to ruin any chance of tikka's and sako's selling well here. WTF!
some one over there needs to get a clue and hire a rifle salesmen. rant off.

Glad I grabbed my Tac when I did.

These guys would sell a bazillion of these rifles if they got their feces together and offered what EVERYONE wants. It's like they are deliberately trying to screw it up for us.

beretta is determined to ruin any chance of tikka's and sako's selling well here. WTF!

You can't just blame Beretta. The highly regarded pre-Beretta M595 Master Sporter had a 1:12 barrel when chambered for .223.

120413_M595_Twist_Rates.jpg

I shoot 80 grainers in my rem700 tactical 1/9 twist,just have to get them up to speed .

You can't just blame Beretta. The highly regarded pre-Beretta M595 Master Sporter had a 1:12 barrel when chambered for .223.

120413_M595_Twist_Rates.jpg

that is the only way they made it, but when they offer other twists and models and don't bring them here,that is the problem
i'm referring to. i get that a lot of there rifles won't sell here but what does it take to throw a few in the container for some of
there larger dealers if they had a request for a couple off the norm. prime example trg 22 in 260 they build them but don't sell them here,
europtics proved there is a market for it. . . . twice!.

I have to agree with sakobob here. I am a HUGE Tikka fan. Have owned several, with the crown jewel being my UGSW Tikka .260 built off of an old T3 Lite .270 action. If Beretta could do it wrong, they have. Their customer service sucks. They import the wrong (or not enough models). It's honestly a tossup between King Barry and Beretta who I hate more.

John

that is the only way they made it, but when they offer other twists and models and don't bring them here,that is the problem
i'm referring to. i get that a lot of there rifles won't sell here but what does it take to throw a few in the container for some of
there larger dealers if they had a request for a couple off the norm. prime example trg 22 in 260 they build them but don't sell them here,
europtics proved there is a market for it. . . . twice!.

Point taken.

I shoot 223 in 8, 9, 12 twists.
10 should be a good place to be for 50, 52''s and 69gr bullets. 52 and 69 perform and there are others. Plenty others. 600yds capable and awesome 300yd PD gun. What a 223 does best.