• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tikka actions for a custom build

Re: Tikka actions for a custom build

The only cons i can think of is it's pricy and it has limited aftermarket support. Although Manners will make a stock.

The pro would be it's an EXCELLENT platform. I doubt it would need very much truing work done.

Its no more pricey than a remington over here, maybe $150 in it.
The T3 makes a good base, its got a very smooth bolt, requires little truing work ( done more for piece of mind than absolute necessity) decent triggers are available although the factory one is pretty good.

sure there aren't as many after market parts as for Remmy 700. but hey, we are working on that.

Good base for a semi custom build,.

the older 595's and 695's where even better, shame they aren't made anymore,

Pete

Are the tikka barrel threads metric? Who is making stocks for them? Lee

Tikka 595, Badger bottom metal, Manners stock, ect, ect......

141107031.jpg

James,
How hard was it to get the Badger bottom metal to work with the Tikka? I have an older LSA-55 that I love but the clip system is horrible. If I could get a Badger to work I would do it in a heart beat.

Tikka threads are 16 TPI, I forget the diameter, will check in the morning,normaly have it in my head but Royal Lochnagar, 3rd glass playing with memory of threads.

James rifle started out as a straight re barrel and a mcmillan stock.
By the time it left it had an integral Picatinny ( or did i screw it on James?) custom engraving, one off colour, badger mag system is the 1st if not only 595 with a Manners MCS T stock.

The mcmillan arrived damaged. and Id been holding the Badger mag system up to the Tikka action. Hmm light went on..

James let me plenty of leash in putting the rifle together, trust on his part was superb, and i must say, he is definately one of my most pleasurable customers to have worked with / for.

I called him up one day, think he was driving a tractor at the time.
" Hope you like mag systems James, you've got a Badger on yours now"

excellent he said, just add it to the bill.

His 595 is a rifle where i let the creativity flow, on man hours its probably worth twice what he paid, but it was fun, it was a test bed and i realy realy didnt want to give him it back, thats a good sign.

The 595 will readily accept a Badger mag system, but the action has to be milled to accept the magazine (easy job realy) as the 595 has a different action screw spacing to the remmy 700 you need to work with a dead screw in the forward badger hole, and machine a flange (or whatever you'd call it) to take the forward action screw for he Tikka.

The paint on the stock is duracoat. At the time we wheren't set up for such fancy stock painting and it was sent all the way back to the USA for this, either Tom did it, or he sent it to larson tactical, either way the flecktarn looks the dogs bollocks,

I think the delivery courier wasn't quite out the drive to James farm and he had wacked a crow out the kitchen window and called me to tell me about it.

The Tikka 595 is a damn good action. now if i was going to produce a custom action, (again, and the 595 features heavily in our Avenger) made in Europe, I think i'd base it on the 595. with a Remington bolt and Howa hole spacing.

if you need further details on converting 595's drop me an email

regards Pete

i dont run across many 595 actions. i was more interested in a t3 action. have you done many of these pete? lee

Thanks Pete,
I don't suppose you know of anyone in the States that does similiar conversions?

I've got 2 Tikka's, a 595 .308 Walnut sporter and a 695 in .300 Win Mag Walnut Varmint weight barrel. Both are nicely made rifles with solid actions. I'd take a 595 or 695 any day over a T3, but the T3 is a fine piece as well.

-matt

Why do you think tikka built the actions without a recoil lug? It seems to me that with the recoil lug setting into the stock and not permanently attached to the action, that it wouldn't be as stiff. Any thoughts? Lee

hey james, i was from glasgow till 9 yrs ago but live in the states now. my uncle worked in the pit at cardowan, probably near where you are.

mac

I was told that the T3 action has a pressed in barrel. Is this truth or bull????? Also was told the new 770 Remmy is a press in barrel also. Is it???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you think tikka built the actions without a recoil lug? It seems to me that with the recoil lug setting into the stock and not permanently attached to the action, that it wouldn't be as stiff. Any thoughts? Lee </div></div>

My guess would be that it's to avoid some stress. If they're properly bedded I see no reason for them to be less stiff than a 700. On a plus note, it eliminates a joint that can cause misalignment on 700's and others with the lug between the action and barrel.

-matt

The T3 and the 595 / 695 are definately threaded and not pressed in ( eingeschrumpft) barrels, i figure some one mixed tikka with steyr.

Any of the well known smiths on the hide will be absolutely capable of converting a 595 to accept AICS mags. George, Terry & Co etc

the L shaped recoil lug sat in the spigot under the action is just another type of recoil lug, works but more awkward to bed than a remmy lug,

Pete

You may also consider one of the Sako 491/591/691 series actions. These have the same recoil lug arrangement as the Tikka 590/591 etc actions and share a trigger unit. They seem to be desperately unfashionable and therefore cheap, however their quality is excellent.

PS H/S precision make a srop in stock for them as the actions were supplied to the US market with a round top drilled and tapped receiver (I forget what they were called) Anyhow thats got to be any easy build.

Regards

Gareth

forgot to say that the HS stocks were only for the 691

Finally the old grey cells have returned from vacation: Magnum Research was the name of the Sako 691 actions with the round topped receivers.

I've got a 595 and a 695, both are amazingly smoothe actions, with the great Sako extractors and great factory triggers. The only significant upgrade I would make to their factory actions is the addition of a pic. rail on top of the factory integrated rail.

-matt