• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka mag too short

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2011
British Columbia Canada
Hi guys, new here but heard I might find some helpful answers here. Did a search but didn't come up with anything. I have a tikka varmit in 223 rem with an 8 twist. I want to shoot 80 grain bergers but..... The jump to the lands is far because the mag is so confining and top loading a tikka sucks. Haven't had real spectactular reloading results working with the mags oal. Besides having the chamber recut has anybody already dealt with this?
H

Re: Tikka mag too short

Jeff @ CDI also makes Tikka S/A DBM. His price is hard to beat and the quality is very good.

John

Send your rifle to CDI. He will open the stock and bevel the bottom of the action for the mag feed lips to clear.
You can then use the AICS polymer 223 mags or modify the metal 308 mags and load it out as far as needed.
I've done the 308 mag modification and it works well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jeff @ CDI also makes Tikka S/A DBM. His price is hard to beat and the quality is very good.

John</div></div>

+1

Or you can do what I did and modify the factory mag. Just need a drill, razor, super glue and some time. I just cut the spacer stop back (actually drilled it out) then cut the back follwer guide out. Then reglued back far enough it would take up to 77gr (since that is max I shoot). Then just fabed a small spacer for the back of the follwer to fill the gap I made by moving the rear guide back. Took a few hours but seems to work. It's not fancy but does the job. I'll eventually send mine off to Jeff to get his bottom metal. 10rd AI .223 mags are only like $35.

FYI.. I also tried going with one of the Tikka .308 mags.. the .223 pop out. You would have to modify the feed lips (close them up).. but I couldn't think of an easy fix for that.. so moded the factory .223 mag instead.

I went the Roedale bottom metal route and use the AICS .223 mags. Like mentioned above...you will have to open the bottom of the action a bit so the AICS mags can seat properly and feed correctly.

If you have access to a mill, it is about a 10 min. job. If not then send your rifle to CDI and let them do it for you.

Below is a video of my .223 T3 Lite.

Take care,Stan

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tgm8YRUJx00"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tgm8YRUJx00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: css</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brass hammer to the feed lips worked well for me.
</div></div>On plastic mags?

I just dremeled my mags. They work fine.