• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T1X

So I'm about to pull the trigger on a T1X. Found a local dealer I can pick it up from... I want to use it for NRL22, but I have been reading some posts in here about FTE and FTF. Is that a pretty limited issue or is there a fundamental manufacturing flaw that basically everyone will encounter and have to tinker on to fix? FTF / FTE would really suck during an NRL22 match when I'm against the clock.
I shoot the nrl22 with mine and have never had an issue with anything like that

Thanks for the feedback -- okay ordered a KRG Bravo in Sako Green - they didn't have the arca clamp so I didn't order the arca rail. I'll just go bipod w/ no barricade stop for now. I was hoping a full arca rail / clamp / barricade stop to be able to have some tools for those nrl22 stages.

Ordered the 25moa DIP rail.

Have an Ares BTR waiting that I'll move from Summit Rifle (if I could've put that summit rifle into a KRG, I would've loved that!).

Next up is to go pick up the Tikka T1X that I found locally in stock today. And then I have a 1000 rounds of CCI SV and SK Standard Plus, which I hope the rifle likes one of them...

Separate question -- Atlas bipods, is that the way to go now? I have a cheapo UTG bipod, but it looks like everyone is going Atlas... now I need to figure out which model # and best price to find one...

Separate question -- Atlas bipods, is that the way to go now? I have a cheapo UTG bipod, but it looks like everyone is going Atlas... now I need to figure out which model # and best price to find one...
I have an atlas and love it. I use it on all my rifles. I really like that you can change the angle of the legs and it's very solid

Atlas bipods, is that the way to go now? ...it looks like everyone is going Atlas..

Pretty sure it’s been this way for at least 10 years now.

Grab the BT46-LW17. If that’s too much $$ then get the BT10-LW17 ??

I sent mine to be service last month, and at first it was fine with one FTE in approx 100 rounds. I shot it last weekend, and had numerous FTE's yet again. Not as bad, but still more than what I feel is acceptable. Most spent casing only eject about a foot, with the occasional oddball flying a few feet as they all should. I did clean off the face of the bolt when this was happening, and it did seem to help. Any Beretta reps on here that would like to comment ?
IMG_4833.jpg

I ran 150 rounds out of my brandy new T1x w/o a single hitch with feed or ejection. Or anything really. These are my groups. Rifle is probably better than I at 75 yards and 100 yards. Indoor.

Phots are fairly self explanatory. I should have backed out of the magnification at 75 and 100 as I believe the reticle was obscuring too much. I would also assume that the barrel will "settle in" a bit. Or at least I hope.

1st impressions are extremely pleased. Trigger, action, accuracy, Bravo chassis, 30 MOA rail gives me 24 MIL of up travel and centered fairly well on windage. Need to put the Magneto on it to get accurate speed inputs for my Strelok. I was a bit high at 75 and 100.

10 round groups at 25 and 5 round groups at 50, 75, and 100.

Made it out to the range today for the first time after installing the Oryx. The Oryx fits so nicely, and the groups seem to have tightened up. I was only able to take it to 50 yards, rifle range was a little too windy, but overall I am very pleased with the Oryx. My initial concerns about it possibly being hard to access the mag release were unwarranted, changing mags was a breeze.

Both groups are 5 shots at 50 yards with Federal Gold Medal Match. Not sure what happened with the flyer in the bottom group, might’ve been me.

Finally, after 2 missed deliveries due to no signature, and a weekend hold to send it to a "fed ex pick up location", I finally have my Bravo. Very nice system and setup for the price.

Although, the skinny stock barrel looks like a little spaghetti noodle in that bull barrel channel. Wonder when someone will be offering larger diameter pre-fits for the T1X.

Last edited:
Final part I will be adding is the Sterk swept handle.. really looking forward to that one with the hand placement on this chassis. Should be a solid match.

Another thing I am realizing. Although the stock magazines look goofy, they work really well for blind insertion. The mag well and bevels on the stock gun are very accommodating. I always had to look down for a mag change and fiddle with a CZ 455 or a Savage 22lr. The T1X is great for being able to slap them in quickly without having to look down.

Reactions: cannoncrossfire
Does anybody have some experience with the Athlon Neos 3-9x40. I’m look in good for a scope to put on my Tikka T1X and it’s either the Athlon or the Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40. I’m leaning towards Leupold because of the lifetime warranty. I really like the quality of there products. I also get a discount and they are American made. What one should I buy.

Thanks
Drake

Does anybody have some experience with the Athlon Neos 3-9x40. I’m look in good for a scope to put on my Tikka T1X and it’s either the Athlon or the Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40. I’m leaning towards Leupold because of the lifetime warranty. I really like the quality of there products. I also get a discount and they are American made. What one should I buy.

Thanks
Drake
Out of those two I would choose the Leupold.

Finally, after 2 missed deliveries due to no signature, and a weekend hold to send it to a "fed ex pick up location", I finally have my Bravo. Very nice system and setup for the price.

Although, the skinny stock barrel looks like a little spaghetti noodle in that bull barrel channel. Wonder when someone will be offering larger diameter pre-fits for the T1X.

The skinny barrel doesn't look as out of place in person as it does in pictures. I was concerned I was going to be a bit OCD about that but honestly, I never even noticed until I remembered to notice. ?

I think they look great in the Bravo chassis as is.

I’m leaning towards Leupold because of the lifetime warranty.

I'm a big fan of the upper-tier Athlon scopes. It's worth pointing out that Athlon scopes also have a lifetime warranty. But on the lower end, I think I'd opt for the Leupold for the better glass.

I'm a big fan of the upper-tier Athlon scopes. It's worth pointing out that Athlon scopes also have a lifetime warranty. But on the lower end, I think I'd opt for the Leupold for the better glass.
Are there any other brands that I should consider

Are there any other brands that I should consider

Imo the best bang for the buck is the Athlon Midas TAC. It’s almost identical to the Ares BTR (Ares BTR has slightly different reticles and is illuminated). Glass is the same on both.

Reactions: Jmp1973
New T1x question
Just received my new T1x and one of the first mods was changing the trigger spring for a mountain tactical one. The trigger is the usual crisp tikka trigger. One if the things I’ve noted is that sometimes when I close the bolt it wont reset the firing pin. It’s weird, it feels lighter. It’s almost like it’s not catching the sear. By the way I have a Timney in the books. Has anyone seen this before?

New T1x question
Just received my new T1x and one of the first mods was changing the trigger spring for a mountain tactical one. The trigger is the usual crisp tikka trigger. One if the things I’ve noted is that sometimes when I close the bolt it wont reset the firing pin. It’s weird, it feels lighter. It’s almost like it’s not catching the sear. By the way I have a Timney in the books. Has anyone seen this before?

I’ve never had it happen with a tikka but I have had it happen with a Remington and a Ruger. In both cases I had to increase the trigger weight a little and it fixed the problem.

Reactions: BigTex
New T1x question

Had same problem with my new T1X using the stock trigger spring that I backed out all the way onto the top lip of the bigger screw. Would not always cock the trigger. I think it's a matter of us trying to wring out the lightest pull. I also had a similar problem years ago with a T3x in .223. We probably just put too much tension on the trigger spring up against the bigger main screw that holds the trigger assembly in place. Backing it off a little bit usually helps. It did mine. Also, on my current T3x in .223, I filed off a tiny, tiny bit of the main screw so that when I backed the trigger spring up there was no tension. I also checked my safety and it was OK.

Just picked my T1x up from the FFL today, any certain scope rail more highly regarded than others?

I’ve got the DIP 25 MOA (6061 aluminum), Area 419 30 MOA (7075 aluminum) and Tacord 30 MOA (steel). The latter two are the winners in the higher-end department. Right now I’ve got the Tacord rail on -- pic below.

AC08BFC6-4ED6-4F95-B083-8976AFDC30F2.jpeg

Reactions: cannoncrossfire
So is the 22 accuracy just a hair behind the 17hmr accuracy in these T1x rifles? My only bolt gun currently is a CTR, so I love Tikkas. But I don't like hearing about the cycling issues on the 17.

I have been using this ARES BTR 2.5-15 on a 6.5 Grendel for the last 2 years. Just switched it to the Tikka. I do not intend to shoot my 22lr beyond 100 yards and this scope has been excellent so far. I find the 15x to be more than enough for even the smallest targets at this range. I have an ARES ETR on my 6.5 Creedmoor and replaced the scope on the Grendel with a 4.5-27 ARES BTR. I find myself rarely using more than 20x. The narrow field of view at higher magnification makes it difficult for me to acquire targets quickly at shorter distances (100 yards or less). I also have a Savage B22 with a Midas 2.5-15 BTR with a SFP. That is A fantastic scope if you like SFP scopes. I have no experience with the Midas TAC, but I think the only thing you give up is illumination and that is only needed for low light shooting.

Needless to say I have had good luck with the Athlons. For 22lr I personally prefer the 2.5-15 magnification. I like the wider field of view and forgiving eye box.
I love my Midas BTR 2.5-15 on my 10/22. I agree it's the perfect mag range for a 22, and I have no issue with SFP in this application.

Reactions: johnkmcguire97
I’ve got the DIP 25 MOA (6061 aluminum), Area 419 30 MOA (7075 aluminum) and Tacord 30 MOA (steel). The latter two are the winners in the higher-end department. Right now I’ve got the Tacord rail on -- pic below.

View attachment 7093786

@pazzo , what height ARC rings are those? How much gap do you have between the objective and your barrel?

I have their X-Low rings and am looking to go to the Low height rings.

I just purchased the DIP 25moa rail... and realized it wasn't a complete piece, so now I have to swap to rings, vs my 1 pc mount :(

What didn't you like about the DIP? It's coming in the mail in the next 2 days...

I have an Athlon Ares BTR as well, and deciding between .9 rings and 1" rings. I think .9 might clear it... but it's going to be close with the caps.

I just purchased the DIP 25moa rail... and realized it wasn't a complete piece, so now I have to swap to rings, vs my 1 pc mount :(

What didn't you like about the DIP? It's coming in the mail in the next 2 days...

I have an Athlon Ares BTR as well, and deciding between .9 rings and 1" rings. I think .9 might clear it... but it's going to be close with the caps.

Vortex Pro low works with my 30 MOA rail. You can see it in pictures above.

They don't spec the actually height on their website though.

Vortex Pro low works with my 30 MOA rail. You can see it in pictures above.

They don't spec the actually height on their website though.

Wow that looks slick. Will caps still fit over your scope? What rail do you have on yours? I'm curious if rails have different heights... I think I'll just go for the 0.9" and cross my fingers.

Low is 0.9"

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
@JSchell1309

They are the X-Low ones. They bring the scope way down about f*ck-all millimeters off the barrel (pic below). Lol.

@littlepod

If you’re talking to me, it’s not that I don’t like the DIP rail, it’s just that the other two are just nicer quality if you care about that stuff. The DIP is great tho and if that’s all I could get I wouldn’t even think about it. I’ve got several DIP rails here for various custom 22LR rifles and they are perfectly suited.
My 30mm ARC M10 are the “X-Low” ones and are 20mm/0.79” height, and imo are the best rings for this setup. If you have an adjustable cheekpiece then get whatever you want height wise as you can just dial up the cheek to get behind the scope. I like low rings. Always have always will. Besides, tall rings just look ridiculous ?

Edit - I don’t run caps on these scopes so the lowest low I can go works for me. Having said that I’ve got a different barrel than factory so my rings will bring the scope lower to the barrel than yours.

D0F34F58-7638-456A-9E21-2F7C35793EC4.jpeg

@JSchell1309

They are the X-Low ones. They bring the scope way down about f*ck-all millimeters off the barrel (pic below). Lol.

@littlepod

If you’re talking to me, it’s not that I don’t like the DIP rail, it’s just that the other two are just nicer quality if you care about that stuff. The DIP is great tho and if that’s all I could get I wouldn’t even think about it. I’ve got several DIP rails here for various custom 22LR rifles and they are perfectly suited.
My 30mm ARC M10 are the “X-Low” ones and are 20mm/0.79” height, and imo are the best rings for this setup. If you have an adjustable cheekpiece then get whatever you want height wise as you can just dial up the cheek to get behind the scope. I like low rings. Always have always will. Besides, tall rings just look ridiculous ?

Edit - I don’t run caps on these scopes so the lowest low I can go works for me. Having said that I’ve got a different barrel than factory so my rings will bring the scope lower to the barrel than yours.

Thanks! It looks like 0.9 would work great for me then. That .1 inch will give me clearance for caps, even if I switch to a bigger barrel like you. I have the Bravo, so I do have a cheek riser, but I still think lower the better, as high rings just look silly.

I just switched from a custom 10/22 VQ Summit with the Magpul X-22 stock, to a T1X w/ the Bravo. I wish they had a Bravo stock that would work for my VQ Summit, that'd be sweet... My Magpul X-22 just didn't have enough cheek rise for me to comfortable get behind the scope, and I couldn't find nice precision stocks for 10/22 actions.

Thanks! It looks like 0.9 would work great for me then. That .1 inch will give me clearance for caps, even if I switch to a bigger barrel like you. I have the Bravo, so I do have a cheek riser, but I still think lower the better, as high rings just look silly.

I just switched from a custom 10/22 VQ Summit with the Magpul X-22 stock, to a T1X w/ the Bravo. I wish they had a Bravo stock that would work for my VQ Summit, that'd be sweet... My Magpul X-22 just didn't have enough cheek rise for me to comfortable get behind the scope, and I couldn't find nice precision stocks for 10/22 actions.
The best precision 10/22 stock is the McMillian A-22 for Ruger 10/22 type actions.

You bet! 0.9” seems a little tall yet but give it a go and see. Before I swapped to my current T1x scope/ring/rail setup last week, I had the same scope on but with the Nightforce 30mm .885 Low ultralight rings and Area 419 30 MOA rail. It was also awesome and brought the scope a little higher off the barrel but it was still sexy as hell. With that Area 419 rail I was unable to run these ARC X-Low rings as the objective bell hit the barrel (this Tacord rail is a hair taller than the 419 rail), so I swapped to the Tacord rail. Also the added weight of the steel rail offset the barrel weight a bit more. It’s very nicely balanced now.

Definitely get the McMillan A5-22 stock that @17rupert recommended. I’ve got the McMillan STC on my Kidd Supergrade, complete with the rear tang anchor. I ordered this rifle in 2011 and received it about 8 months later in 2012. It has the original Supergrade barrel that threads into receiver. It was a full custom build from Tony with the stock all bedded and everything fit to perfection. He doesn’t make them like this anymore, apparently. I emailed him last year asking for another and he was not having any of it. The reply I got we something along the lines of “it took too long to build” ?.

Check out the MCM STC if it’s still around - it’s very nice for offhand shooting among other styles. Worked very well in my local Rimfire PRS style match.

Wow that looks slick. Will caps still fit over your scope? What rail do you have on yours? I'm curious if rails have different heights... I think I'll just go for the 0.9" and cross my fingers.

Low is 0.9"

Caps should fit but I haven't tried to put any on. I did put a bikini on but the front lens cover was smaller than the diameter of the scope.

It's an Area419 30 MOA rail.

https://www.area419.com/product/tikka-t1x-scope-rail/

I zeroed at 25 yards and every distance either closer or farther requires UP travel in the scope. In theory I can dial in, keeping it centered, out to about 425 yards, according to my ballistics calculator, although I believe it will be a bit farther in practice. The extra 10 MIL on the reticle takes me to about 550-600 depending on velocity of ammo. Mostly though, it's not too much cant with the 30 MOA rail. I can see the barrel if dialed all the way out, i.e. 2.5x, but disappears quickly around 2.75x. Using the same scope as you're planning to use IIRC.

I think you'll be good. Post up pics when you get them installed. ??

I’ve got the DIP 25 MOA (6061 aluminum), Area 419 30 MOA (7075 aluminum) and Tacord 30 MOA (steel). The latter two are the winners in the higher-end department. Right now I’ve got the Tacord rail on

Not seeing this rail on their website, did you have to call? Or do they not import this part to the states?

I’m looking for a bipod to put on my 17. I don’t want something really expensive. I want reliable and good quality any suggestions.
Thanks
Drake

I’m looking for a bipod to put on my 17. I don’t want something really expensive. I want reliable and good quality any suggestions.
Thanks
Drake

This one from Westlake tactical is fantestical. If I need another one this one will be it. I have one now.