• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tikka T3 223 owners, input

Jeeprider

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2010
PA
Okay so I'm looking into getting an accurate .223 rifle. Mostly going to be used for varmint ie. groundhogs and paper punching. While doing my research the venerable Remington 700 and the less respected, but equally if not more accurate(out of the box) Savage came up. But alas my heart yearned for something more, haha! I was also told about the Tikka T3 and started my research on these rifles and they are just plain sexy. I'm pretty much set on the T3 now, but I'm a little confused as to the price jump between the T3 Varmint and the Tactical. What are the differences besides the stock(which I plan to replace), matte finish and pic rail? Are the barrels different in any way? By the way let me know how your Tikka 223 performs if you got one.

Re: Tikka T3 223 owners, input

I have some experience with both of them, so:
- tikka tactical has an adjustable cheek piece
- it has a manganese-phosphatized barrel (it looks really nice -CDI)
- it is being told that in the process of barrel selection at the factory, tikka tactical gets the very best of them.
- it is also being told that up to 600m there is no difference in accuracy between sako trg and tikka tactical.

Having said that I would go with tikka varmint, because:
-it is also extremely accurate
- it is 30% cheaper

have you also considered howa varmint?

Remington QC is awful. The last new one I bought was a SPS tactical in 223 and I finally got tired of screwing them and just rebarreled it.
The T3 Tactical is a very nice rifle. Mine has a mirror like finish to the barrel with minimal tool marks and a nicely cut throat (borescoped). The trigger is most acceptable, especially for a tactical rifle, and breaks cleanly at 2 1/2 pounds. It is not overly heavy and the adjustable cheek piece is a nice touch.
Now for the down side.
The bolt shroud is plastic. It should be replaced by the aftermarket metal one.
The magazine system will not allow you to take full advantage of the 1 in 8 twist because you can't load the heavy bullets long enough to get within a mile of the lands. If you wish to keep the factory stock then replace the factory DBM with one from CDI Precision and use AICS mags. It costs around $250 for DBM and metal (not including install) but is well worth it. It allows you to load any heavy bullet and get within good accuracy distance to the lands. Another plus is that AICS 223 mags are 10 round, excellent quality and cost way less than the Tikka factory mags.
If you want to change to a really tacticool stock then get the KRG. It is absolutely a great product and I wish I had seen it sooner.

If your going to replace the stock, I'd go with the varmint.
Get a Manners stock molded for the CDI DBM, and you can get the metal bolt shroud and oversized bolt knob from CDI also.

I have the T3 lite and have been very please with it. Still waiting on the Manners stock though.

What was your reasoning behind choosing the Tikka Tactical over the Varmint?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington QC is awful. The last new one I bought was a SPS tactical in 223 and I finally got tired of screwing them and just rebarreled it.
The T3 Tactical is a very nice rifle. Mine has a mirror like finish to the barrel with minimal tool marks and a nicely cut throat (borescoped). The trigger is most acceptable, especially for a tactical rifle, and breaks cleanly at 2 1/2 pounds. It is not overly heavy and the adjustable cheek piece is a nice touch.
Now for the down side.
The bolt shroud is plastic. It should be replaced by the aftermarket metal one.
The magazine system will not allow you to take full advantage of the 1 in 8 twist because you can't load the heavy bullets long enough to get within a mile of the lands. If you wish to keep the factory stock then replace the factory DBM with one from CDI Precision and use AICS mags. It costs around $250 for DBM and metal (not including install) but is well worth it. It allows you to load any heavy bullet and get within good accuracy distance to the lands. Another plus is that AICS 223 mags are 10 round, excellent quality and cost way less than the Tikka factory mags.
If you want to change to a really tacticool stock then get the KRG. It is absolutely a great product and I wish I had seen it sooner.
</div></div>

My Tikka T3 Lite in .223 with some mods done to it:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tgm8YRUJx00"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tgm8YRUJx00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I have owned three T3's. Two in the Lite model and one in the Tactical model.
At the time I owned the Tactical I also owned a TRG-22. The Tikka would actually shoot just a wee bit better then the TRG-22 using factory match ammo.

I like Tikka's for many reasons. And now that there is a growing aftermarket support for them, I see no reason to not like them even more.

Take care,Stan

My reason was simple. A friend had it and sold it to me at a good deal. It was a plus for me because it was threaded and I have a suppressor. I did have to get an adapter to go from metric to the 1/2x28.
I had a Varmint a couple of years back and sold it because, at the time, there was no good aftermarket for them. That has really changed over the last year or so.

Anyone know if the T3 Tactical is inherently more accurate out of the box than the Varmint model? If it is I would probably lean more towards the Tac model, anyone??

My tikka T3 Varmint shoots prettty good. Shot mine for the first time last Sunday and held 1/2 MOA out of the box.

Both stocks I heard are pretty flemsy. Save the money and down the road if you dont like the stock get an after market like Manners.