• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing tikka t3 308 to 300

gamma

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2009
Hi,I want to convert a Tikka t3 .308 to a .300 win mag. My question is will I need to change the extractor as it dosent look as though it will allow a 300 in. I know the bolt face has to be opened up. I havent done anything on this yet, I havent even tried a 300 round up to the face yet but already I think it looks like the extractor will protest the larger round. Has anyone done anything like this before and if I need to change the extractor,where would I get one to suit.

Re: tikka t3 308 to 300

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sell the 308, buy a 300. you'll never recover your costs on a conversion </div></div>
Its for a customer. Your probably right but I dont ask questions,remember,
"The customer is always right"
Come on guys,a good reply is badly needed here.

just a thought as I know veary little about the T3 but isnt the 308 a short action round and the 300 win a long action. So aside from that there is the issue of bolt face diamiter? I would have just told him to get another rifle!

All of the Tikka rifles are built on a long action so the only issue I have is bolt face which isnt an issue,my issue is the extractor dosent look as though it will allow it. Im going to try a .300 case up to it tomorrow and see what the story is but I think it needs changing. Anyone out there have any ideas on this.

Opening the bolt up is easy, remove the firing pin, bolt handle, extractor and ejector, set the bolt up in the lathe and turn the face out to suit,

You can hand fit the .308 extractor to fit 300WM. but it would be easier just to swap the extractor, contact whoever is the main dealer in the US for a spare part.
You will find that one of the variouse Sako extractor conversion kits for the Remington 700 will fit, but just which one is the question.

Pete

The conversion is feasible but dealing with Beretta to get the correct parts is probably out of the question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The conversion is feasible but dealing with Beretta to get the correct parts is probably out of the question. </div></div>
Yes your absolutely correct there. Ive been in touch with the distributor and thats what he said. Im hoping to come up with a solution myself,I was thinking of increasing the extractor diametre but theres not enough meat there to do that. Maybe someone may have the solution here.

I went through 4 gunsmiths to rebarrel my TRG. The issue is barreta will not suport or sell parts. The barrels are threaded silghtly oversized and gauled down on the action so you have to chop the barrel and take it out in pieces then clean the reciever threads.Both my range buddies have t3's they are to light to shoot in WM. I have a styer ssg04 in WM it leaves the logo of the butt stock on your shoulder like a tatoo. Adding 2 mercury tubes on the stock will help and a muzzel brake is a must. The T3 may not have deep enough threads in the reciever to thread on a wm barrel.You will also need to machine a three sided action wrench and enlist two freinds to run the breaker bar!

Gamma, through you PM i just realised your in Ireland and not the USA.
I have and excellent relationship with the Tikka-Sako importer here in Germany, I expect i can help you out with an extractor claw, Ive had them canibalise spare parts off on shelve rifles to give me spares before, so i expect it wont be a problem. I have to call them up and order a TRG for some one today any how so i'll ask about an extractor.

Rebarreling a Tikke T3, Sako TRG or any of the Sako's is no problem at all. Like many factory rifles on some models the old barrels can be a bitch to remove, simply put the barreled action in the lathe and run a parting tool into the barrel right in front of the end of the action, effectively removing the shoulder, you should then be able to unscrew the action with a lot less effort.

you can remove T3 actions using a Brownells Remington 700 action wrench, same goes for a Howa 1500.

Recoil. we where on the range last week testing the recoil of several rifles and calibers. hardest hitting was a Sako TRG S in .338 Lap Mag which had over 2000 N a Blaser R93 in 9.3x62 had a good 1500 N.
Fitting a decent muzzlebrake can reduce the recoil by between 40 and 50% depending on brake type.

regards Pete

Pete,if you can get me an extractor for a Tikka T3 in .300 WM,Ill be endebted to you forever,this would be brilliant. Suppliers here are useless when it comes to spares. Let me know if you manage to get one.
Many thanks.

Free Guiness and Sika deer hunting for life eh !!

<span style="font-style: italic">Suppliers here are useless when it comes to spares.</span>

thats what started Uncle Pete's TCPP.. Tikka Custom Parts Production..

I'll bell em later on.

Pete

Pete, looks like you'll have to get your'e ass in gear and do the Ireland expedition. Bring Marvin along.
Don't expect to get any rest. September is good, good fishing, sika, duck, pidgeon and a few foxes.
edi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Free Guiness and Sika deer hunting for life eh !!

<span style="font-style: italic">Suppliers here are useless when it comes to spares.</span>

thats what started Uncle Pete's TCPP.. Tikka Custom Parts Production..

I'll bell em later on.

Pete </div></div>

Pete,if you can get me that extractor inside the next 2 months you have free Guinness,Red Deer shooting,Fallow Deer,and Sika Deer and a Corporate hunters Suite at my place for life and if you can think of any trimmings to go with that just pencil it in and forward it to my hospitality department,its got a 24hour hotline on this occasion. I got the bolt stripped easy enough,I just picked my way through it,the extractor kept me awake all night but I finally got it cracked at about 3AM. Cheers Mate. Keep in touch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">T3 .300winmag extractor kit ( inkl plunger and spring) on its way to me today. Send you it on as soon as I get back. You'll have it inside 2 weeks.

Chill that Guiness !

Pete </div></div>

Aw man thats great,I had my doubts on this one. Theres not too many around that can pull this kind of help off especially on Tikka parts. The Guinness is on chill for sure and the Stags are grazing. Ill give you a bell next week. Maybe there is a God after all.
Thanks again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this one beats me! </div></div>

Beats me too!

Hi i think you will have troublers, Generaly Sako type extractors are cut to diferent depths for diferent case heads. 223 size is usualy the small one but not always but the mag and 308 are the same. What they do is cut the slot deeper for the smaler cases and the retaining pin hole is also closer to the firing pin hole on the smaler calibres.

I am not 100% sure with the T3 but i think it will have the same part number as a 308/30-06 one see if you can check that out?

Also the actions vary a little between the short and long actions have you checked the mag cutout the short actions have a large S underneeth, they usualy require to have the mag area machined for clearence this is no issue as the feed lips are in the mag so just make sur you clear the mag lips.

Now if the extractors are the same you have two options.
1 Get a Mag bolt tube as all of the other parts will fit right on.

2 you will need to first machine a pin and silver solder it into the retaining pin/ spring hole, next you will have to make a shim up around 25-30 thou thick then silver solder it into the cut out. drill the hole back through the shim for the retaining spiggot on the extractor and then you will need to re drill the plunger/spring hole. This will fix the problem and allow the magnum case to be used.

If you ever need to do the conversian you can do this next time. We had to convert a Rem bolt that had already been converted to Sako from 223 back to 308 this is what had to be done.

I hope it works for you but chase up the extractor part numbers because i think you will find they are the same.

As they are machining a diferent boltface the depth of the extractor cut does not matter it is better for them if they can use 1 part for all bolts like the ejectors and extractors as this makes inventory smaller and parts easier to stock. I think the T3 even uses the same extractor on the 223 unlike the smaler bolts on the Sako 223's from the past.

Forgot to add dont try to machine the 308 extractor as fit for use as a 308 at the factory to fit it will just snap off.

Just to let you all know how this one is going. Well Im pretty much on top of things and ready to do it as soon as I get the right extractor. I havent actually opened up the bolt face yet but thats no big deal. I have the barrel got and have the plan of action thought out. Pete Lincoln is waiting on the extractor to arrive and hes goin to shout me as soon as it arrives then Ill let rip and take it all the way. Its no major job really except to get the extractor and the .300 magazine is in hand also. Ill let you all know how it fairs out with a before and after shot.Fingers crossed on the extractor.