• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Build - " Gungnir "

Re: Tikka T3 Build - " Gungnir "

I tried to contact that member through PM and got no response so I decided to go else were.

im looking at bases and im not sure what to get. i guess i will only have 44-48 moa total elevation adjustment on the scope im looking at so im not sure if i want to get a 15 or 20 moa base. in looking at the egw base im not 100% sure but they say its longer to fit longer scopes but i dont want it to hang over the barrel. not sure what to get as far as the base goes

If it hangs over and you don't like it, cut it off.
Only reason I cut mine is I had to in order to get the proper eye relief.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just FYI there is a member here who makes a drop in bolt/handle for the T3.

Take care,Stan

Here one is:

</div></div>

which member and how much are they?

Any Updates from the OP?

Should be getting my bolt back from the smith tomorrow.

I've started my initial work up loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAFARIKID</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WHO MAKES THAT CARTRIDGE CARRIER? NEAT!</div></div>

Thompson Center makes the shell holder.

Take care,Stan

I got my bolt handle back from Ordnance System Designs (http://www.ordnancesystem.com) today and I am very pleased with it.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Thank you Matt!</span>

The transition is seamless, the only thing that gives it away is the different metals not polishing up the same.
Nothing a little Duracoat can't take care of when I decide on the color scheme.

Newknob.jpg

Newknob3.jpg

Newknob4.jpg

Newknob2.jpg

Next up... RANGE REPORT!

fantastic bolt handle...i send just now a mail to Matt!

Very interested to hear how this all turns out! Love my tikkas. One problem I run into is mag length is too short. They still shoot. So I guess no problem.

Sorry for the delay and lack of details on this build lately.

I've been trying to work up a 95gr VLD load for it but i'm not having much success.
During the initial break in it was shooting 80gr Winchesters .750 at 100yds.
The VLDs weren't so happy. Most shooting 2 inches or more at 100yds.

So far I've only worked from 41.6gr up to 46.1gr in 1gr increments of H4831SC.
I should have probably done half grain increments but i was hoping to cut down the work up time and expense.
The best results were in the 43 - 45gr range.

Here is what i was using.
Winchester Brass
H4831SC powder
Federal no.210 Primers
95gr Berger VLD
2.705 COAL

Anyone have advice they would like to give?
Should I seat this bullet in further?
According to the resources I have found maximum COL should be 2.710.

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time with your handloads.

The only thing that springs to mind is that the VLD's like to be seated right next to the lands w/very little jump. I know on my T3 in .308win that pretty much rules out loading to magazine length, as the throat on the Tikkas is relatively long.

I would measure to see how far from the lands your current load is. If they are a way off, try increasing the OAL until the bullets are a few thou off the rifling. Depending on the .243 magazine, this may preclude loading to magazine length...

Hope that helps...

Matthais_31

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will be working on DBM setup for these rifles starting this week
smile.gif
</div></div>

1. What will be the max COAL for 300wm?
2. How much will it cost for the DBM?
3. Does it come w/ a magazine or are those extra?
4. What do you charge to inlet?
5. What's your turnaround?

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savages</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry for the delay and lack of details on this build lately.

I've been trying to work up a 95gr VLD load for it but i'm not having much success.
During the initial break in it was shooting 80gr Winchesters .750 at 100yds.
The VLDs weren't so happy. Most shooting 2 inches or more at 100yds.

So far I've only worked from 41.6gr up to 46.1gr in 1gr increments of H4831SC.
I should have probably done half grain increments but i was hoping to cut down the work up time and expense.
The best results were in the 43 - 45gr range.

Here is what i was using.
Winchester Brass
H4831SC powder
Federal no.210 Primers
95gr Berger VLD
2.705 COAL

Anyone have advice they would like to give?
Should I seat this bullet in further?
According to the resources I have found maximum COL should be 2.710.

</div></div>

You probably need to shoot single loading at or into the lands with the 95B's.Maybe try Berger's 100 grainers.They won't be so sensitive to seating depth.

Steve

From the measurements I just took. I should be able to fit a round with an over all length of 2.8 into the magazines.
I've got a little playing room yet.
As for measuring how far away from the lands I'm seating the bullet, I've got no way of measuring it right now.

I guess I'll add an OAL gauge and modified case to the list of things to buy.

you are engineering bottom metal for the magnum;s right?

(.300 win mag particularly)

how much should we expect to pay for system and mag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At the moment, short action (308). If there's demand for the long ones Ill do them also. </div></div>

What mags?

-pd

IT will use AICS magazines. I have rifle in hand now and it will require some inletting, as the factory DBM is way skinny..but it wont be much or hard to inlet. IT dont look like it will need anything else but inletting(no action machining or anything else). stay tuned

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IT will use AICS magazines. I have rifle in hand now and it will require some inletting, as the factory DBM is way skinny..but it wont be much or hard to inlet. IT dont look like it will need anything else but inletting(no action machining or anything else). stay tuned
</div></div>

Only issue you may run into is with the AI polymer 223 mags. With the batch of mags I received I noticed that the feed lips were slightly too wide towards the rear of the mag. In my case I modified the mag ever so slightly and was good to go. It was that or machine the action and I ain't no 'smith...

-pd