• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tikka T3 Lite > lightweight scope mounting options?

gmillikan

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2013
California
www.t1shopper.com
Want to keep the weight down - How would you mount a Leopold VX-3L 1" on a 17mm dovetail rail?

I don't have rings or base yet so I'm totally open to suggestions.

Spuhr? NEAR?

Thanks,

Geoff

PS. This is my first rifle ever, I'm totally green.

Last edited:
I would get a EGW pic rail and mount it on it. You can pick 1 up over at Hinterland and I think Euro optics a vendor here has some in stock also.

Also check out the Tikka Performance Center...they have pic rails built especially for Tikka. Reasonable pricing too. The downside is that they are not a Hide sponsor--at least to my knowledge.
For rings, there is always a range, based on what you are doing and how much you want to spend. Seekins are a favorite around here, and Aadland (Jon A. here on the Hide) makes some great ones too.

For lightweight mounts on a T3 lite, go with Talley Lightweights or the DNZ mounts.

DNZ medium is a bit lower than my Talley low's.

I've used a egw picatinny rail and dnz both work. I prefer the picatinny though the dnz is probably lighter .

The Talley Lightweight Scope Mount looks good - 7000 series aluminium should be lightweight! Found a picture of the setup here.

Is the DNZ Game Reaper mount maybe a bit heavier than Talley? Looks like maybe a bit more metal (link)? This guy had problems w/DNZ lining up properly - should I be concerned about that?

Nothing at the Tikka Performance Center grabbed me.

Still confused on advantage of layering on a Picatinny rail instead of using the dovetail directly?

Thanks,

Geoff

PS. Thanks so much for the help!! (I'm a total n00b - apologies if I'm asking remedial questions.)

I'm using the DNZ game reaper on my T3 Lite; I had no problems with alignment or fit. Aside from low weight, I like that the smooth profile does not snag on anything. The direct dovetail mount saves weight.

Called Talley and tech said Leupold VX-3L scope would still clear with the low (1/2 inch) rings so getting those. He suggested buying at Midway.

Going this route unless anyone has other thoughts?

Thanks,

Geoff

PS. Will post picture in a few weeks (My California 10-day waiting period for rifle starts this Friday when our FFL guy finally had an opening to start the paperwork.)

What caliber?

Tika T3s ship with rings (that suck, but can handle light recoil calibers.) My T3s wear the Talley base-ring combos, they have been very good to me.

The rings do fit the rail milled into the receiver. And they are 1" rings; however, I too have a 270 in T3 Lite and I wouldn't recommend those rings for that gun (it generates a bit of recoil.) My 270 wears the Talley rings and I have been exceedingly pleased.

Yes they will, but just save yourself some headaches. Sako makes top notch quality rifles, the stock fits the action with the utmost precision; however, the factory rings leave much to be desired.

My biggest issue is the crossbolt, I just don trust it. I torqued them and blue locktited but had one loosen (7mm mag). I now use Talley on one Tikka and DNZ on the other. Warne also make nice rings, they have an integral front recoil lug and clamp to the dovetail.

I wouldn't recommend those rings for that gun (it generates a bit of recoil.) My 270 wears the Talley rings and I have been exceedingly pleased.

Awesome, thanks so much. Anything else you'd recommend? Good ammo? (Target species is California mule deer.) I should probably start a new thread for this.

I now use Talley on one Tikka and DNZ on the other. Warne also make nice rings, they have an integral front recoil lug and clamp to the dovetail.

The Warne rings look good but I think they're made from steel so looking to stay lightweight.

I really liked the DNZ mount; it's lightweight, sleek, and let me mount a 40mm Vortex Viper really low. However, I did have a problem with the ring screws shearing. Happened to me twice, same ring. Now, I'm not sure when the first one happened, but the second occurred on the 16th trigger pull of a range trip (I have T3 Lite in .308). Just popped the hex head right off the thing and I had to drill it out . . . twice.

Take the anecdote for what it's worth; I can't be sure that it was the mount flexing under recoil, or if I did something wrong, or it was just pure bad luck. I had everything torqued proper and mounted according to manufacturers instructions. I ordered a set of Sako Optilocs with the bases--on clearance, direct from Beretta--for 55 bucks . . . they are a little heavier, but are good, solid steel, with four screws per ring, and they too mount right on the integral rail. After 300 rounds they're as solid as can be.

Last edited:
my t3 has the dnz 30mm lows. They are lightweight and seem to be made well. one of my screw holes didn't seem to be tapped very well but i chased it with a tap and all is well. they are sleek with no real edges but almost look a little different. I've used talley in the past and if i had it to do over, i'd go talley again.

Yes they will, but just save yourself some headaches. Sako makes top notch quality rifles, the stock fits the action with the utmost precision; however, the factory rings leave much to be desired.

My biggest issue is the crossbolt, I just don trust it. I torqued them and blue locktited but had one loosen (7mm mag). I now use Talley on one Tikka and DNZ on the other. Warne also make nice rings, they have an integral front recoil lug and clamp to the dovetail.

Same here. Don't waste your time with the factory rings that will come with it.

Buy my rail for sale in the classifieds :)

in all seriousness, EGW, Tikka performance all sell quality rails that will do what you ask of it.

Last edited:
Oh, forgot to add...Talley LW's ...Low will get plenty of clearance with any 40MM objective, and some 50's. I got a 4.5-14X50 Leupy into a set of Low's, and had a touch of room between the bell and the barrel.

Thanks Downlow!

I'll be taking the Talley LW's & scope to a rifle smith for mounting because I just have no idea how to do it like: Do I need to bore sight it? w/laser bore sight? Don't want to buy one for single use - can I rent one? Sheesh. Is there a "Rifles for Dummies" for those of us who grew up in families wo/firearms?

Do I screw the Talley rings in where these plug screws are? I tried unscrewing the plug screws... And they start unscrewing and coming out... But instead of screwing all the way out, they just spin and spin... I tried to lift them out with my fingernails but they're really in there. I must be making a really dumb newbie error. Am I doing it wrong?
tikka1.JPG

Yeah you screw your bases into the holes where the black screws are. As far as the bases being wide I'm not as I have different mounting system but I'd think its alright.