• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

I like ingenuity and advancements in this game, but honestly, I find it hard to improve on the Tikka action. I have Two. The old T3 and the T3X. IMO the only thing that could be improved is coming from the factory with at least a 20 moa rail and perhaps a more protruding bolt release.

This is just my opinion.

I love the factory trigger! I’d put it right up against my TriggerTech Special ( yeah, I said it ) because I cannot tell the difference.

Compared side by side to my Curtis Vector, I don’t think I lose anything by building another rifle with a Tikka action.

That said, I am interested to see what they come out with.

I like ingenuity and advancements in this game, but honestly, I find it hard to improve on the Tikka action. I have Two. The old T3 and the T3X. IMO the only thing that could be improved is coming from the factory with at least a 20 moa rail and perhaps a more protruding bolt release.

Wider magazines and feed channels for magnum rounds would be nice, too...

Does anyone know if a t3 varmint will work ctr stock, and work with the ctr bottom metal? I know it seems counterintuitive, but I like the idea of running ctr mags over AICS again.

Does anyone know if a t3 varmint will work ctr stock, and work with the ctr bottom metal? I know it seems counterintuitive, but I like the idea of running ctr mags over AICS again.

I never got the chance to try it but I had a similar plan but read on the Tikka forum that the CTR is actually different from t3/t3x and you can't use CTR mags due to the lack of a certain cutout in the t3 that the CTR has.

Again, unconfirmed by me but they seemed pretty sure about it.

I never got the chance to try it but I had a similar plan but read on the Tikka forum that the CTR is actually different from t3/t3x and you can't use CTR mags due to the lack of a certain cutout in the t3 that the CTR has.

Edited to remove incorrect info ?

Last edited:
Anybody have an old pre x t3, something that started as a non ctr, and or a CTR? Take a picture of the bottom and post it. That should clear everything up.

Hi.

Is your rifle T3, or T3X?
T3 will not work, since the action has not machined this part of the action.
Upper action is Tikka T3X TAC A1 and lower is Tikka T3.
AkeY6bP.jpg

That notch is because the CTR magazine has this dummy feed lip on the magazine.
image_view.php

What barrel is this?
It looks quite fat.
It's the factory varmint. Definitely an added bonus to a great rifle. Only downside is it's a 22-250 and their twist rate wont let me run heavier loads.

Scope rings should be on my door step today, and my smith will hopefully be able to thread it on Saturday. It's been a real conundrum deciding to shoot it without my suppressor, or wait and wait and wait for it to get threaded.

Oh, ok, so it is the 20" barrel.

I have the 24" which looks somewhat thinner.

Understood, looks like its time to hunt down a takeoff stock.

If you find the new CTR stock/mag works for you, I've got a new CTR coming in tomorrow and it's immediately going in a Bravo chassis I have here. CTR stock and mag will be for sale. Won't have a single round through them.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the CTR receiver is no different from the T3x, meaning ALL the newer/T3x receivers have this cutout.

-Stooxie

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the CTR receiver is no different from original the T3x, meaning ALL the newer/T3x receivers have this cutout.

-Stooxie

That may be the case but I have the original T3, not the X, so for me it wouldn't have worked.

Is there a reliable shop you guys would recommend that would do bottom metal inletting work on Tikka’s plastic stocks?

Hoping to install some Atlasworx bottom metals.

Is there a reliable shop you guys would recommend that would do bottom metal inletting work on Tikka’s plastic stocks?

Hoping to install some Atlasworx bottom metals.

If you have a CTR T3 stock then Atlasworx have a drop in bottom metal to take AICS type mags. The normal T3 Lite stock does need milling to fit them.
edi
20170206_121452.jpg

Reactions: viking78
If you have a CTR T3 stock then Atlasworx have a drop in bottom metal to take AICS type mags. The normal T3 Lite stock does need milling to fit them.
ediView attachment 7157723

Unfortunately, no - they're the regular T3x non - CTR stocks.

I tried LRI, but they're sending my stocks back; they indicate that the tooling they use would end up melting the plastic.

I had once the GRS Berserk, it was normal Tikka T3 model.
I did the inlet for CTR bottom metal, it did work fine and looked too, even i did it by my self :)
Im not a gunsmith, just ex-carpenter.

I did received my custom barrelled action from gunsmith, guys at the Ensio Firearms did a great job.
Now i just put together trigger and KRG Whiskey stock, and start looking, that should i only cerakote that coyote brown action to black, or barrel too, or use od green, that tone is just not the same as the KRG Sako green is, would it look awful.

Reactions: perttime
Unfortunately, no - they're the regular T3x non - CTR stocks.

I tried LRI, but they're sending my stocks back; they indicate that the tooling they use would end up melting the plastic.

Call CDI precision, they may be able to modify your factory stock. They make an AICS bottom metal and if you buy from them they modify it free.

Last edited:
Call CDI precision, they may be able to modify your factory stock. They make an AICS bottom metal and if you buy from them they modify it free.

They were my first stop - unfortunately, the owner passed away on August 2.

His wife still has to take the website down, though.

I had once the GRS Berserk, it was normal Tikka T3 model.
I did the inlet for CTR bottom metal, it did work fine and looked too, even i did it by my self :)
Im not a gunsmith, just ex-carpenter.

I wish I had your skills...

...and tools!

Might have to stick with the factory handle or something shorter that works with the size/shape of your trigger finger
I know this post is a couple months old but... I might suggest an Anarchy Outdoors handle and a PTG ball on the end of it. It will get you close to Sterk position but I think it is a bit shorter and the PTG knob is a bit smaller ( if my memory is correct) so it might work for you.

If you really needed to give yourself more room, you could take the PTG ball and thread it onto a 5/16 x 24 bolt. Chuck the bolt into a drill press and you can take sand paper and shape it to any size you want. They are aluminum so are easy to shape/ size. Because of the spinning drill press, it will come out very uniform.

I wish I had your skills...

...and tools!

Here is how i did it.

I took the CTR bottom metal and put it to the magazine side.
Upside down.
Lock it plate with bolts.
14178652.jpg

I did with color pencil markings on the stock.
14178623.jpg

Then just use a dremel with cutting blade and let´s get to work.
14179049.jpg

Once in a while, check that the bottom metal is area is not opened too much.
14178629.jpg

This magwell area, my friend did it with a milling machine.

14179064.jpg

We had many nice shooting trips with this stock.
14348522.jpg

Like you may see, this Tikka T3X CTR was the latest model, but like so many of you guys do agree, that the CTR magazine is not working
well, i did find that out too.
In the early model Tikka T3, this magazine was the one and only, Sako TRG 22 magazine, so i get one too.
Trust my guys, if you get that TRG magazine, in any Tikka model they do these days with the Sako TRG magazine, you will love it.
That Sako TRG magazine is one of the best in the world, you can not to compare it to the Tikka CTR mag, metal thicknes, quality, everything is totally different.
Like if you have a Tikka T3X TAC A1, you like that chassis, but you hate that mag.
Do not sell the rifle, sell those mags, and buy one Sako TRG 22 mag, and you will love that gun again.
Trust me guys, i have been there and done that.
If they would just make this very nice stock with a stiffer frame, i might never change it.

Thanks.

I was contemplating using my drill for this at one point - but thinning the sides for the magwell would’ve been where I’d fail.

I actually did something very similar with my Berserk. I have a drill press and I bought some ball end mill bits and a cross slide vice. (shhhh, don't tell anyone, you're not supposed to side load morse tapers but if you're not carving into solid steel it works fine). I carefully milled out the right parts until the CTR bottom metal fit. I was surprised how well this setup worked. The hardened steel end mills went through the stock plastic like it was butter so it was easy enough to use the cross slide vice to make clean lines.

Would be awesome, though, if someone with a CNC could just program it all up. The OEM CTR stocks are just regular T3 stocks that Tikka shoves in a CNC. You can see it. Same with the varmint stocks.

-Stooxie

Reactions: lou400a
Would be awesome, though, if someone with a CNC could just program it all up. The OEM CTR stocks are just regular T3 stocks that Tikka shoves in a CNC. You can see it. Same with the varmint stocks.

-Stooxie

That was the original plan I had with LRI.

They get to map out the Atlasworx “Bottom Metals” relative to the Tikka T3/T3x actions & stocks, and CNC the inletting work - but I’m told the plastic stocks would have melted during tne milling process :(

That was the original plan I had with LRI.

They get to map out the Atlasworx “Bottom Metals” relative to the Tikka T3/T3x actions & stocks, and CNC the inletting work - but I’m told the plastic stocks would have melted during tne milling process :(

Welp, LRI knows infinitely more about CNC machines than I do. I wonder if there is a minimum RPM on the spindles. My stocks certainly exhibited no signs of melting. Not really sure how that would even happen unless the bit was spinning at thousands and thousands of RPM. I had my drill press going at about 900 rpm.

-Stooxie

Last edited:
Custom Tikka :giggle:.
My first barrel change project, it did came out quite nicely.
Gunsmith company Ensio Firearms did all the job on the barrel.
Krieger SS 6,5mm 8"/4 barrel.
6.5 creedmoor.
View attachment 7158359
Ensio Firearms seems to have a great reputation here, especially among people who want a modern precision rifle, made your way.

He (they?) has also taken over the JJ range of actions. Not sure if he has old stock from JJ or is making them new. I suppose the main advantage of those is you can have any configuration, length and weight.

Ensio Firearms seems to have a great reputation here, especially among people who want a modern precision rifle, made your way.

He (they?) has also taken over the JJ range of actions. Not sure if he has old stock from JJ or is making them new. I suppose the main advantage of those is you can have any configuration, length and weight.

I am not that that familiar on those actions, i had one of Ensio Firearms rifles on test for the summer, and that has JJ old action.
I think it is very close to Tikka M55 action, but it is super smooth, and oh that trigger, best i have ever tryed.
EF.JPG

My gunsmith, @txfireguy2003 of Blackland Precision, threaded my t3 for me friday night and today was range day. Preferred 55 grain loads but I'll experiment some more.

T3 Varmint in 22-250, athlon ares btr 4.5x27 and silencerco omega 300.
20191005_184723.jpg
20191006_131844.jpg
20191006_122402.jpg

Not the best groups, but I'm still learning the rifle. I'll go back out next weekend, hopefully they'll be closer to what tikkas are known for. Middle rounds were for zeroing.

Attachments

• 20191006_122404.jpg
    20191006_122404.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 95
Looking to get my first Tikka, and first 6.5CM. Range is from 100-600 but have access to 1000 yard one. My question is this: 20" or 24" barrel?