• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

after some assembly ;-)

Attachments

• 2A2CCF24-D60B-4E37-9E14-E29766D641AA.jpeg
    2A2CCF24-D60B-4E37-9E14-E29766D641AA.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 3BC762FC-D60B-499C-A734-67484FE8B7EA.jpeg
    3BC762FC-D60B-499C-A734-67484FE8B7EA.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 215
  • D5C8A154-30E7-4B1A-A701-844A3EF6637D.jpeg
    D5C8A154-30E7-4B1A-A701-844A3EF6637D.jpeg
    433 KB · Views: 147
  • 6D6EFB9A-BF52-4956-AB1E-BF1B10A673DF.jpeg
    6D6EFB9A-BF52-4956-AB1E-BF1B10A673DF.jpeg
    440.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 2A3C8542-9E77-483F-8684-4FAE12EB3651.jpeg
    2A3C8542-9E77-483F-8684-4FAE12EB3651.jpeg
    512.8 KB · Views: 144
Tikka T3X Varmint- 6.5 Creedmoor

Oregon Mountain Rifle Co. Factory Carbon Barrel upgrade/bolt fluting/Cerakote
Leupold Mark 5 HD 3.6-18 TMR
Hawkins Precision 35mm low rings
Spuhr 20 MOA rail
Mesa Precision Altitude stock
RedSnake Tactical DBM
Sterk Titanium bolt handle/shroud
Tier One Tactical Bipod
Area 419 bipod rail
Elay Precision trigger spring

View attachment 7286915View attachment 7286916View attachment 7286917View attachment 7286918View attachment 7286919

Nice looking setup! Waiting on a MP stock for my 28 Nosler.

Reactions: SawBoss
Found a Tikka CTR (older discontinued version) .260 for cheap. Will be getting a KRG Bravo stock ASAP. Which is better, keep using the Tikka mags or use AICS mags?

Last edited:
Awesome. Glad I asked, I just assumed the AICS mags were better. Thx for the info.

About to order a pair of KRG Bravo’s today and then this .308 CTR will be finished, as will my .223 Varmint. Eventually I will upgrade the optic but the SWFA is solid for what I’m doing with it. I’m a total noob to the long range game but I enjoy the hell out of this rifle for what it’s worth.

D8F2F43A-9634-41D1-A07E-49BFBF2984DB.jpeg

What caliber and which scope you're putting on?
6.5 creedmoor. Not sure on scope yet, I met the guys at Riton Optics this year at SHOT and was impressed with the options for the price point. They have great first responder pricing as well.

Just got a new Bravo set up today. Subsonic suppressed 6.5 CM range right off my deck, pretty sweet. 1020 fps, zeroed at 50yd, 1.0 mil at 75, 2.0 mil at 100 with 140 gr Hornady BTHP. They go through three milk jugs at 50 and open up pretty well. View attachment 7294360

What is your receipt for subsonic ammo? Just a guess from your nick but did you tried the same with .260rem?

What is your receipt for subsonic ammo? Just a guess from your nick but did you tried the same with .260rem?
You can search in reloading, but Trailboss powder has a lot of good reviews for subsonic cartridges, it’s what I’m using. In my 20” 6.5 CM CTR, with 140 gn bullets the transition between supersonic and subsonic is between 11 and 10 gn. I’m using 10.5. I never tried it with 260 but should be similar.

Reactions: 260284 and NiemiPT
Anyone planning on building a Tikka off the new "Roughtech" actions? The fluted bolt version,etc? Im thinking of getting one to start a good ole'308 build...Opinions?

-Reagan

Attachments

• 20200411_085048.jpg
    20200411_085048.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 118
Hey fellas. I got a 223 Varmint and I don’t hand load. What do you guys find to be the best for factory ammo out of your Tikka 223’s? I also want to be able to hunt with it if possible. Just coyotes and woodchucks. I shoot AR’s a lot so I have a bunch of 62gr green tips and FMJ ammo as well as a case or 2 of 62gr federal fusion which shoots pretty well out of my LWRC. Wondering if there’s something I could throw in both with DECENT results.

Hey fellas. I got a 223 Varmint and I don’t hand load. What do you guys find to be the best for factory ammo out of your Tikka 223’s? I also want to be able to hunt with it if possible. Just coyotes and woodchucks. I shoot AR’s a lot so I have a bunch of 62gr green tips and FMJ ammo as well as a case or 2 of 62gr federal fusion which shoots pretty well out of my LWRC. Wondering if there’s something I could throw in both with DECENT results.
What’s the twist rate in the barrel ?
I have a T3 with a 1 in 10” twist so this barrel is limited to about 69 grain boat tail bullets.
Green tip 5.56 was leaving ejector marks in the LC brass with my rifle, so be aware that the pressure is pretty high in that load.

Reactions: ManOfSteel
What’s the twist rate in the barrel ?
I have a T3 with a 1 in 10” twist so this barrel is limited to about 69 grain boat tail bullets.
Green tip 5.56 was leaving ejector marks in the LC brass with my rifle, so be aware that the pressure is pretty high in that load.

Its a 1:8” twist so I’m hoping it’ll like the 62gr Fusions, which is a .223 round, once it settles down. It gave me about 3/4-1”at 100yds with them but the rifle only has 40 rounds down the tube so far. I did shoot a couple green tips out of it to see what it would do but I may reconsider that now. It was about the same result, about 1“.

Last edited:

mine loves the Fiocchi 50 grain Vmax ammo.

Mine shot Fiocchi Exacta 77 smk into 1/4" @ 100 - 5-leaf clovers. Tried lots of different ammo in it, but this was the only consistent factory <0.5 moa load for me.

Awesome I’ll check them both out. My neighbor hand loaded some 55 v max for me I think. I’ll report whenever the ranges open up.

Stupid question for my fellow Tikka owners...

Is there that much difference, or advantage to using a 30 MOA rail vs a 20 MOA?
Scope is Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25X50, Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor 24" barrel. Use would be learning to shoot long range 1000-1200 yds ~

Decided I needed a project since I am not supposed to leave the house. Decided to spruce up my gun with a paint job on the factory stock. Used a textured paint roller, that I cut into smaller pieces to mimic a sponge effect. Flat black base coat, orange and graphite grey texture, matte clear coat. Took me an afternoon. Thinking of putting a KRG bravo chasis on it in the future.

IMG_6027.jpg

Scope is Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25X50, Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor 24" barrel. Use would be learning to shoot long range 1000-1200 yds ~

You can certainly get away with a 20 MOA rail to shoot that. As long as you are not dialing way up into the last 10 or so percent of adjustment I think you are fine.

I have a tikka ctr 6.5 24" ss barrel and I began with the rail that comes with it. I lost about 10 MOA right off the bat and of course the rifle manufacturer blames the scope and the scope manufacturer blames the rifle. Turns out once I put that same scope on a Terminus action, it magically got the 10 moa back so now a 20 moa rail is a 20 moa rail on the Terminus action but the Tikka action is still a negative 10 moa instead of zero. Anyway I ended up putting a 20 moa Mountain tactical rail on the tikka and used a sig sauer tango 6 scope and still had plenty of elevation to 1100 yards. A 30 moa rail would have been better in my case on that Tikka, but I am not sure I can find one.

Reactions: zacii

Not a stupid question. I had the same one. All else equal, using a 20MOA Mount or rail, in 6.5 CM the bullet is falling out of the sky (transonic going subsonic) before you run out of elevation travel on a shot that is at a precise and repeatable range. I can make it go to 1800 yards using a big holdover but it is not a quality shot. I could conceivable dial much higher elevation but I can consistently hit a target at a range I would want or need that.

I’m shooting a Tac A1 6.5CM
Factory 24” barrel w 6.5 Lil Bastard
Spuhr 20 MOA base holding a Gen 1 Vortex PST 4-16x50 FFP

Reactions: Graywolf.260
Anyone planning on building a Tikka off the new "Roughtech" actions? The fluted bolt version,etc? Im thinking of getting one to start a good ole'308 build...Opinions?

-Reagan

I just ordered a Roughtech for a project, 10 lb precision/hunting crossover. ~$820 shipped (308. 22”).

The Roughtech and Veil models have the fluted bolt and fluted barrel, and the barrel is a new profile Tikka is calling D18. it is between their lite (sporter) and medium (CTR) and factory threaded 5/8x24.

roughtech is the cheapest model with the new barrel/fluting if youre going to toss the stock like me.

im estimating the barreled action at 4.7-4.8 lbs.

I’ll be cutting the 22” down to 18”. I was going to wait for a tikka listed 20” model and settle there. But I was told BerEtta USA is only importing the 22”+ models at this time.

this is only my 2nd bolt gun. 1st one 5 years ago was a Sako TRG 22, 26” weighing 15 or so pounds fully accessorized so this one is intended to be its lightweight twin for 25 % field use 75% range, while maintaining similar ergos (krg bravo and Sako trg stock profile very similar).

build sheet:
t3x roughtech 308 barreled action, chopped to 18” for use with dead air nomad
kahles k624i, area 416 rail, seekins rings
krg bravo
Timney 430 (T3x two stage) trigger (to keep it similar to Sako TRG with its two stage)

Calculating to come in 10 lbs +/- 0.5 lbs with an unloaded magpul AICS mag, and barrel should heat somewhat slower than lite profilebut not as good as CTR Barrel (which add 1-2 lbs).

Last edited:
I just ordered a Roughtech for a project, 10 lb precision/hunting crossover. ~$820 shipped (308. 22”).

The Roughtech and Veil models have the fluted bolt and fluted barrel, and the barrel is a new profile Tikka is calling D18. it is between their lite (sporter) and medium (CTR) and factory threaded 5/8x24.

roughtech is the cheapest model with the new barrel/fluting if youre going to toss the stock like me.

I’ll be cutting the 22” down to 18”. I was going to wait for a tikka listed 20” model and settle there. But I was told BerEtta USA is only importing the 22”+ models at this time.

this is only my 2nd bolt gun. 1st one 5 years ago was a Sako TRG 22, 26” weighing 15 or so pounds fully accessorized so this one is intended to be its lightweight twin for 25 % field use 75% range, while maintaining similar ergos (krg bravo and Sako trg stock profile very similar).

build sheet:
krg bravo
Timney 430 (T3x two stage) trigger (to keep it similar to Sako TRG with its two stage)

Calculating to come in 10 lbs +/- 0.5 lbs with an unloaded magpul AICS mag, and barrel should heat somewhat slower than lite profilebut not as good as CTR Barrel (which add 1-2 lbs).
Curious how that action and barrel pair up and shoot when you get it together. Did you consider the KRG trigger?

You can certainly get away with a 20 MOA rail to shoot that. As long as you are not dialing way up into the last 10 or so percent of adjustment I think you are fine.

I have a tikka ctr 6.5 24" ss barrel and I began with the rail that comes with it. I lost about 10 MOA right off the bat and of course the rifle manufacturer blames the scope and the scope manufacturer blames the rifle. Turns out once I put that same scope on a Terminus action, it magically got the 10 moa back so now a 20 moa rail is a 20 moa rail on the Terminus action but the Tikka action is still a negative 10 moa instead of zero. Anyway I ended up putting a 20 moa Mountain tactical rail on the tikka and used a sig sauer tango 6 scope and still had plenty of elevation to 1100 yards. A 30 moa rail would have been better in my case on that Tikka, but I am not sure I can find one.
Im kinda confused...Can Others verify? So Tikka T3 actions are made with a negative-10 Moa slope WTF??

-Reagan

build sheet:
krg bravo

Thats a good price, where they hoing that cheap? In Cali they are around the 1k mark...

-Reagan

Last edited:
Im kinda confused...Can Others verify? So Tikka T3 actions are made with a negative-10 Moa slope WTF??

-Reagan

No, they are not made that way, I have a feeling I got an action where the barrel is not parallel with the top of the action therefore the slope of the rail is off. The CTR comes with a zero rail, I must have got a defective setup. I may know more info once I change out my barrel someday. Like I said, I brought it up to both the scope company and the gun company, they each put the blame on the other.

I have a T3X CTR that I put into a MDT chassis but I'm switching over to R700 platform and action for this PRS season. I love the T3X and there's no reason to sell it, so I want to put it back into the original stock and keep it maybe as a light hunting rifle.

I sold my CTR bottom metal and magazine, so now I need some sort of bottom metal and mag, does the T3X Lite plastic bottom and magazine work in the CTR?

Thanks!

I have a T3X CTR that I put into a MDT chassis but I'm switching over to R700 platform and action for this PRS season. I love the T3X and there's no reason to sell it, so I want to put it back into the original stock and keep it maybe as a light hunting rifle.

I sold my CTR bottom metal and magazine, so now I need some sort of bottom metal and mag, does the T3X Lite plastic bottom and magazine work in the CTR?

Thanks!

Going pick up my new 6.5 CTR tomorrow, I'll probably shoot it a bit in the original stock, but when the Cadex chassis comes in I won't have any use for the mag or bottom metal, lets talk.

Thats a good price, where they hoing that cheap? In Cali they are around the 1k mark...

-Reagab

$1k is the MAP price.

i always use http//gun.deals to search UPC for lowest price, a bunch of places are basically retail fronts for the distributor RSR group and RSR drop ships for them (you’ll start noticing a lot of the places basically have the same web site, because RSR is probably hosting it for them). They’ll sell below MAP because they’ll email you a quote to get around MAP pricing rules.

i got it from gunprodeals this time, but like I said there are a dozen of these that are all basically drop shippers of RSR wholesale, battle hawk armory and buygunstuff are additional examples. so use gun.deals Meta search. Don’t expect good service or easy returns, but you will get the lowest price.

Reactions: Widowmaker0001
Curious how that action and barrel pair up and shoot when you get it together. Did you consider the KRG trigger?

ill report back, probably take a month or two given the backlogs, getting barrel chopped, etc.
i didn’t look at the KRG trigger in any depth, have people reported it being better than the timney offering? It’s about $100 more (~$180 for timney).

ill report back, probably take a month or two given the backlogs, getting barrel chopped, etc.
i didn’t look at the KRG trigger in any depth, have people reported it being better than the timney offering? It’s about $100 more (~$180 for timney).
I think KRG are big fans of SAKO and my impression was that it modeled on a Sako trigger right down to the high price.

Thanks!
The action will drop right in. I’m not sure if the barrel contour will fit the Lite chassis.

The action will drop right in. I’m not sure if the barrel contour will fit the Lite chassis.

I have the CTR Stock still, just making sure the bottom metals are all compatible. So I just need to find some cheap T3 Lite bottom metal/magazine should be able to find something for like $30.

I'm picking up a stock CTR tomorrow in .260, going to immediately get a KRG Bravo for it. I will ONLY be using this for a hunting gun to throw on the 4 wheeler, will I have to put a 20 moa rail on it to be able to shoot 1,000 yds?

I have the CTR Stock still, just making sure the bottom metals are all compatible. So I just need to find some cheap T3 Lite bottom metal/magazine should be able to find something for like $30.
They work fine if you don't mind the gap on the sides of the magwell
IMG_0375a.jpg
IMG_0377a.jpg

Reactions: littlepod