• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

for $ 10 ( I bought an Anarchy Outdoors Spring ) it's a good upgrade if you can't get the trigger light enough with the OEM spring.
Tough to argue the "Bang for the Buck" factor there, especially if you're ordering other stuff from there.
I like two stage triggers, and have them in most of my other rifles, if it's a reasonable option.

A little filing off the top of the stock trigger adjustment grub screw will let it back out a little more & let you set trigger pull to 2lb's or a little less. I have mine at 1.75lb, zero creep & seamless release 👍

As always YMMV

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyley808
Are these rifles known for having short chambers? I have some 308 loaded up from other guns that works. It's 168gn Nosler CC's at 2.800 and they won't chamber in my new Tikka T3X Roughtech. I can see marks on the bullet where it's hitting what I'm guessing is the lands.

Are these rifles known for having short chambers? I have some 308 loaded up from other guns that works. It's 168gn Nosler CC's at 2.800 and they won't chamber in my new Tikka T3X Roughtech. I can see marks on the bullet where it's hitting what I'm guessing is the lands.

Not generally. My 308 TAC can load 208 ELD-M out to 75.5mm (2.97") and still be off the lands. Which is a lot of free bore. Not sure if they have used less freebore/lead on the newer versions.

Reactions: louu
Not generally. My 308 TAC can load 208 ELD-M out to 75.5mm (2.97") and still be off the lands. Which is a lot of free bore. Not sure if they have used less freebore/lead on the newer versions.
That sounds good to me because I thought factory ammo was around 2.8? I really can't believe it doesn't fit in mine.

1610127705710.png

I'm new to Tikka and one of the complaints I always saw was the barrel twists being too slow. Is Tikka coming out with faster twist barrels for 2021?

Reactions: Bfish22
Dang those are some nice looking rifles.
I know you use Ase Utra suppressors, have you used the Borelock versions of just the direct thread?

Can't find many reviews on the Ase muzzle break/BL suppressor combo.

I ain't him, but I've been using a AU SL5i on my 260 TRG and 308 A2 Target. Both have the Borelock muzzle brake which is adequate but not so great for heavier recoiling rifles, in my opinion. The can itself has been great since I wanted a short suppressor that I could use on multiple rifles and it tones the blast down to a safe level.

I ain't him, but I've been using a AU SL5i on my 260 TRG and 308 A2 Target. Both have the Borelock muzzle brake which is adequate but not so great for heavier recoiling rifles, in my opinion. The can itself has been great since I wanted a short suppressor that I could use on multiple rifles and it tones the blast down to a safe level.

Does it suppress the 6.5mm just as well as 30cal, or do you notice the 260 having less noise reduction?
Does the muzzle break tame down the 260 very much?

Dang those are some nice looking rifles.
I know you use Ase Utra suppressors, have you used the Borelock versions of just the direct thread?

Can't find many reviews on the Ase muzzle break/BL suppressor combo.

Thank you :)
I had once SL5i borelock suppressor, but i did not liked that when you mounted the suppressor on, the POI did change quite a lot.
If you can handle that, it would be no problem, but i did not liked.
Here is BL SL5i suppressor.
And the BL brake.
It is very nice combo, and very durable.

Thank you :)
I had once SL5i borelock suppressor, but i did not liked that when you mounted the suppressor on, the POI did change quite a lot.
If you can handle that, it would be no problem, but i did not liked.
Here is BL SL5i suppressor.
And the BL brake.
It is very nice combo, and very durable.

Have you test POI change with your standard Ase cans?
I have a SL5i that I like a lot but use that rifle suppressed 100% of the time, considering the BL suppressor for use at the home range (upset neighbours less) and probably run unsuppressed at matches (24" barrel + 5" or 7"(SL7) doesn't sound cool to me).
If POI is drastically different then maybe it's not going to work

Reactions: viking78
I'm new to Tikka and one of the complaints I always saw was the barrel twists being too slow. Is Tikka coming out with faster twist barrels for 2021?
Looks like many European manufacturers have not gone for the fast twist thing. Apparently, they feel that the old normal twist works.

I see that a custom gunsmith in my area is offering 1/12" as standard for .308 Winchester.

Does it suppress the 6.5mm just as well as 30cal, or do you notice the 260 having less noise reduction?
Does the muzzle break tame down the 260 very much?

I don't notice any difference by ear between the calibers with the .30 caliber can. The brake does it part on migitating the recoil on a already heavy rifle vs. not having anything on it. Haven't really compared it to other than the standard TRG brake.

On my TRG (22'' barrel), the difference on the zero with the supressor vs. brake is only 0,2mrad. On the 308 Target (16") a bit more, but repeatable.

Reactions: beetroot
Looks like many European manufacturers have not gone for the fast twist thing. Apparently, they feel that the old normal twist works.

I see that a custom gunsmith in my area is offering 1/12" as standard for .308 Winchester.

The 308 TAC is 1/11 twist, not sure about other models but that is fast enough to stabilise 208grn bullets. I've only shot them to 600yds. So my next plan is to load some to 1250fps with faster powders & see how they manage 900-1000yd trans sonic velocities on a 100-200yd range !

My new 6.5cm Tikka UPR came in 1:8. It's great! That rhymes so it's gotta be true.

Have you test POI change with your standard Ase cans?
I have a SL5i that I like a lot but use that rifle suppressed 100% of the time, considering the BL suppressor for use at the home range (upset neighbours less) and probably run unsuppressed at matches (24" barrel + 5" or 7"(SL7) doesn't sound cool to me).
If POI is drastically different then maybe it's not going to work

I had SL7i, very quiet, but is is heavier.
POI sift with out SL5i is not much, something like 5cm higher with out can.

The 308 TAC is 1/11 twist, not sure about other models but that is fast enough to stabilise 208grn bullets. I've only shot them to 600yds. So my next plan is to load some to 1250fps with faster powders & see how they manage 900-1000yd trans sonic velocities on a 100-200yd range !

you’ll be spinning the bullets a lot slower at 1250fps launch then what the bullet will actually be doing at 1000 yards. Waste of time.

Will a set of low (.82) seekins rings have proper clearance with a 44mm objective on a CTR rifle? I ordered a vx-5hd scope and want to go ahead and order some seekins rings, just not sure the which height.

Will a set of low (.82) seekins rings have proper clearance with a 44mm objective on a CTR rifle? I ordered a vx-5hd scope and want to go ahead and order some seekins rings, just not sure the which height.

Should be ok. I'm running .82 rings on my T1x with a 30MOA rail and 50mm objective and it clears with scope caps, albeit close.

Edit: just checked, they're actually MDT .82 low rings.

Attachments

• 20201227_102328.jpg
    20201227_102328.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 111
Got my yo Dave spring in the mail yesterday. I think I ordered it on the 2nd or the 3rd so it was about 10 days from Canada to dirt bag new jersey. That's pretty fast so now I don't mind the shipping cost. Gona install it today hopefully.

Got my yo Dave spring in the mail yesterday. I think I ordered it on the 2nd or the 3rd so it was about 10 days from Canada to dirt bag new jersey. That's pretty fast so now I don't mind the shipping cost. Gona install it today hopefully.
Make sure that the safety is working properly once you do change the sping, do not go too low on pull weight.
AND do tighten the trigger back to the action tight, that it wont come loose.

Reactions: louu
Make sure that the safety is working properly once you do change the sping, do not go too low on pull weight.
AND do tighten the trigger back to the action tight, that it wont come loose.
Thanks for the tip bud. Need all the help I can get in a total noob to this kind of shooting.

Reactions: viking78
Just picked the T3x 300 WM up from the gunsmith the other day after getting the muzzle brake installed. Will be my new go to hunting rig. Threw my SWFA 3-15 on it last night and hope to shoot it some this weekend.
IMG_7590-1.jpg

you’ll be spinning the bullets a lot slower at 1250fps launch then what the bullet will actually be doing at 1000 yards. Waste of time.
Agreed, and if they stabilise at that velocity they will be fine at decayed velocity & faster spin. Its all mute at the moment as all ranges are closed here in UK due to lock down rules ☹️

Is that a Carbon Six barrel? What caliber? Nice looking rifle.

@260284
It’s a Hells canyon armory barrel (benchmark blank) in vanilla 6.5 CM

I still haven’t gotten a scope mounted, need to get on that really want to shoot the gun.

Reactions: 260284
So I finally got to shoot this rifle properly. I took it to the range a few days ago but forgot the razor tool so I couldn't zero it amd only fired 4 shots. Today was a different story though and a great one. I got it zeroed in 4 shots then put down this group of 3 or 4 shots. I can't remember if it was 3 or 4 because some dude was talking my ear off. This rifle is amazing, I've never shot a group like that at 100 yards before at least that I can remember. Ignore the target number it was the bottom one so I could save 1 through whatever for load development.

I'm going to start a range diary on here if anyone is interested or if it's allowed. I don't see why it wouldn't be, it's better than talking politics all day on a gun forum. I'll probably call the thread my journey into PRS or something

Attachments

• 20210114_165235.jpg
    20210114_165235.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 60
We used the viper barrel vise and a wheeler action wrench #1 you just have to turn the curve side up so the wrench has too flats contacting the action
Any slippage? I keep hearing people saying that the VIPER barrel vise will slip too much and is only good once the factory barrel had already been taken off.

Any slippage? I keep hearing people saying that the VIPER barrel vise will slip too much and is only good once the factory barrel had already been taken off.
No slipping I used blue painters tape and I put witnesses marks on the barrel with a pencil just to make sure she wasn't moving

Reactions: tbx
One of the problems with slippage in the barrel vise (no matter which brand) is clamping the external action wrench too tight.
All your doing is compressing the action/barrel threads into each other and creating more friction.
Tighten it enough to keep the action from moving in the jaws is all that is needed....

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyley808
One of the problems with slippage in the barrel vise no matter which brand is clamping the external action wrench too tight.
All your doing is compressing the action/barrel threads into each other and creating more friction.
Tighten it enough to keep the action from moving in the jaws is all that is needed
Exactly right 👍🏽

Reactions: JGR1953
One of the problems with slippage in the barrel vise (no matter which brand) is clamping the external action wrench too tight.
Tighten it enough to keep the action from moving in the jaws is all that is needed....
I found that to be true also. Very little tightening of the action wrench bolts cause greater resistance. After I got the barrel off I experimented using the notched part instead of turning the top jaw upside down. It did seem to be able to tighten the wrench bolts more with the bottom flat jaw against the top of the receiver and the notched part on the bottom of the receiver.

also, I used sections of toilet paper core cardboard around the barrel, torqued the Viper vise bolts to 60 ft-lb and there was no slippage when using a 4' iron pipe.