Tikka T3 Thread

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    Kansas
    Are there any Tikka Chassis that uses factory magazines?

Any of the German Gun Stock offerings. I have 3 with the CTR inlet and my son has one with the standard inlet. They all have an aluminum mini chassis that requires no bedding at all. I swap rifles between them and don't have to worry about any zero shift.

This is my Reaper with a Bartlein BugNut barrel in it. Had it in their Ranger before deer season.20201206_154616.jpgIMG_20201212_083207_774.jpg

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    Kansas
    Haha yeah I was pretty stoked!

My family came from Tornio river valley area. Except for my grandma Heikkenen who was from Oulu.

Both parents learned Finn before English.

Kinda funny to go into LRI shop because a fair of my childhood either working or waiting for dad in a tool and die shop run by a family of Finnish immigrant. That smell brought instant memories.

The bolt will be fed lapua 6br 105 ammo exclusively with the .48 bolt face. Most times 80gr eld-m with factory 20” at 2850.

We call the rifle Rottutauti. Rutter for short. Deer, yotes, speed goats,sage rats, tree rats, turkeys.. Killing machine.

Is the rifle a 223 CTR?

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    Kansas
    Great info. I appreciate it. And I just picked up 3lb of rl16 yesterday.

I run Rl16 with the 140 ELDM in Peterson SRP brass. Got 2840 fps out of a 28" Bartlein with 41.4 gr running .055" off the lands. One hole accurate. I get 2701 with the 143 ELDX out of my 18" Bartlein with 42 gr.

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    Kansas
    Ok guys, who here as actually done the Tikka switch barrel with shouldered barrels. Looking for feed back on how repeatable it really is and how much of an issue keeping track of 2 or more zeros are?

Current plan would be to swap between a 6.5 creed and .223. Really hoping LRI comes through with some reasonable .223 bolts because those things are impossible to find.

Main reason is that getting into a .223 as a separate rifle is going to be way more than a new barrel and bolt.

I have done it with a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 22 BR. I used 3/4" flats and can swap them with a torque wrench and a crows foot holding the rifle between my legs. I use 40 ft/lbs. I make the same changes to my scope everytime.20200205_194049.jpg20200227_181924.jpg20200205_194049.jpg20200227_181924.jpg20200227_181948.jpg

Baddog 0302

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 22, 2013
    Panhandle of FLA
    Question on reloading OAL of a 308 ?
    I'm starting to reload test rounds for my 308 TAC 1, I find that I can reload 168/175's to a OAL of 2.93" (+-) and they function through the Mag. Does anyone else load their 308's to longer than the 2.8" (+) "standard" ??

Ndbowhunter

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 5, 2020
    Switch barrel for me is more about seasonal changes then on a day in day out basis

I’d want to epoxy the action to the stock/chassis if it’s a regular occurrence.

Besides that make a witness mark and torque the same amount. For factory barrels it’s been money. But I’m shooting more like 1-1.2 moa 10 shot groups and from field positions so a .1 mil shift would be hard to detect. Ymmv

Reactions: 260284

MC56

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 24, 2019
    Question on reloading OAL of a 308 ?
    I'm starting to reload test rounds for my 308 TAC 1, I find that I can reload 168/175's to a OAL of 2.93" (+-) and they function through the Mag. Does anyone else load their 308's to longer than the 2.8" (+) "standard" ??

I do, but make sure your bullets aren't hitting the lands.

Baddog 0302

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 22, 2013
    Panhandle of FLA
    I do, but make sure your bullets aren't hitting the lands.
    Thank you, I have and nether the 168's or 175's come close to touching the lands.
    Now, I need to know what TAC A1 owners are doing to lengthen their LOP ? I bought mine gently used but no spacers came with it. Has anyone used something else as spacers ??, I 'll look into super heavy recoil butt pads.

blisters

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 18, 2018
    Does anyone run a Versapod with their KRG Bravo or other KRG/TRG chassis?

I'm looking for a KRG/TRG compatible Versapod spigot but fail to find one that's actually in stock in Europe (or anywhere that ships to Europe).

viking78

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 6, 2011
    FINLAND
    www.instagram.com

I'm looking for a KRG/TRG compatible Versapod spigot but fail to find one that's actually in stock in Europe (or anywhere that ships to Europe).

Vertebrae had this spigot for KRG chassis, but i think that the company is out of the business these days.
    You could ask company named RPS, that do they have this spigot mount on the selction these days.

Kmahow2

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 5, 2018

Err ignore, just saw the pic in previous post, not compatible.

Does it use the same spigot as the GRS Bifrost stock? I got one recently for mine. Should be available in Europe, if not I know a place in UK that should have one. They got mine in record time.

Lawnboi

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 30, 2019
    WI
    Very nice specs? What did the MCM weigh?

t3x action
    Carbon barrel in 6.5 cm 20”
    Mountain tactical bottom metal and mag
    Area 419 rail
    Mcmillan game warden edge fill

Total weight as it sits is 6lb 10oz. Will be getting a swfa 3-9 for the time being. Also have a gemtech tracker to run on the front.

Not the lightest but I’m happy with an around 10lb all set with a bipod.

I’ll have to weigh the stock alone when I get a chance

Reactions: Wiscat and 260284

5RWill

Optics Fiend
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2009
    Mississippi
    t3x action
    Carbon barrel in 6.5 cm 20”
    Mountain tactical bottom metal and mag
    Area 419 rail
    Mcmillan game warden edge fill

Total weight as it sits is 6lb 10oz. Will be getting a swfa 3-9 for the time being. Also have a gemtech tracker to run on the front.

Not the lightest but I’m happy with an around 10lb all set with a bipod.

I’ll have to weigh the stock alone when I get a chance

Please do. I tried to switch 22” 6CM carbonsix to a 20” 6.5 SAUM but it was too late in the process. Best i can figure kitted we’ll be doing good to hit 10lbs with the bipod and can. Here’s what I’ve got thus far.

Tikka T3x
    Mountain tactical 20 MOA rail
    Mesa arms altitude stock
    Carbonsix 22” 6cm
    Leupold 4-24x52 VX6HD
    SiCo Hybrid with the hellfire system.

Wiscat

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 15, 2017
    The question is, did you miss a coyote?😄

My wife can always tell if I missed a coyote. Because I always head straight to the range when I get home.
    Nope! But man do I know what you mean... For some reason nothing bothers me more than missing a coyote!

eveyoz

A body made for PRS
    Minuteman
    Aug 23, 2017
    A land down under
    Err ignore, just saw the pic in previous post, not compatible.

Does it use the same spigot as the GRS Bifrost stock? I got one recently for mine. Should be available in Europe, if not I know a place in UK that should have one. They got mine in record time.
    I do, there was a European company making a bravo spigot. Not sure if they are still in business tho.

Gee Kay

Skippy the Bush Kangaroo
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2019
    Land Downunder

not related to your question but i use to run a versapod, in my honest opinion they are not worth the money. at least $200 plus here in australia.
    could never lock it properly. way too much movement. went atlas and haven't looked back.

Reactions: beetroot

Ndbowhunter

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 5, 2020
    Whatcha want to know?

Ignore the janky bipod setup. I had to scavenge the atlas for a different setup.EF05BAF4-6BB1-4D43-B7A3-7F1EA00B7275.jpeg

Wiscat

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 15, 2017
    Whatcha want to know?

Ignore the janky bipod setup. I had to scavenge the atlas for a different setup.View attachment 7513227
    What magazines are you using? What does the set up weigh? I’m thinking of throwing a stainless light barreled action in a bravo chassis. Then cutting the barrel to 16 and threading it for a suppressor..

Ndbowhunter

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 5, 2020
    Never put one on a scale. Not super hard to add up numbers to get a real close guess tho

Add an extra pound for the stock, should be right at 7 1/4 for bare rifle.

At this point weight is what it is. Carried this thing for tons of miles hunting almost everyday this fall. Wasn’t bad even with the longer atlas CAL bipod and loaded mag.

Mags. Ai mags and mdt. Prefer the ai mags in this particular gun.

16” is pretty short. But it’s your gun do what ya want.

LeftyJason

Thumbnail-les
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2017
    Kaysville Utah
    What magazines are you using? What does the set up weigh? I’m thinking of throwing a stainless light barreled action in a bravo chassis. Then cutting the barrel to 16 and threading it for a suppressor..
    Direct thread or brake attach?

A lite at 16" is only 0.673". 9/16-24 thread recommended size is 0.662". Recommended od for a direct thread 5/8 thread is 0.725". If you go 5/8 you only have 0.025" per side of shoulder. That's half the shoulder they recommend.

blisters

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 18, 2018
    Vertebrae had this spigot for KRG chassis, but i think that the company is out of the business these days.
    You could ask company named RPS, that do they have this spigot mount on the selction these days.
    I just got an email from Kenneth, formerly Vertebrae, now Salamander Tactical: They will hopefully have stock of their Versapod spigot later this week.

Reactions: viking78

Wiscat

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 15, 2017
    Direct thread or brake attach?

A lite at 16" is only 0.673". 9/16-24 thread recommended size is 0.662". Recommended od for a direct thread 5/8 thread is 0.725". If you go 5/8 you only have 0.025" per side of shoulder. That's half the shoulder they recommend.
    I will be going 1/2x28 direct thread. That’s the standard thread pitch for 223. Either running a 1/2x28 end cap or a shouldered 1/2x28-5/8-24 adaptor rockseted in place. Probably the latter.

Wiscat

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 15, 2017
    16” is pretty short. But it’s your gun do what ya want.

Looking through my notes I think 16 is the longest 223/556 I’ve ever had. Hopefully Hornady Superformance or a 55gr clone should scare 3000fps. The length is simply due to wanting it to be as short as possible with a suppressor. A trainer and a walk around coyote rifle. 17.5 would put me at 23” on the barrel so maybe that’s where I will go.

In the meantime I hope Tikka gets some resupplies out to dealers. This lack of availability sucks.

Wiscat

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 15, 2017
    If you want a 6.5CM Roughtech or Veil, the availability is great. LOL.
    Right! Those rifles don't interest me at all. IMO the thing that made tikka as popular as they are is the fact that they were a solid/inexpensive base rifle to change as you go. That's what I have done on the 5 I have owned.

Reactions: DROWN

Gunner2590

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 20, 2020
    Anyone have their t3x action cerakoted? Is the coating thin enough to do the inside of the action too? Any preferable alternatives to cerakote?

Wiscat

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 15, 2017
    Anyone have their t3x action cerakoted? Is the coating thin enough to do the inside of the action too? Any preferable alternatives to cerakote?
    I've had 2 done. No clearance issues. The coating is wearing off on the 300 I had done in 2014 but its had a rough life. The barrel and action look perfect. The 270 I had done in 2018 looks great. That one was spiral fluted which seemed to help the wear. For the money I would have LRI flute and coat it in one shot.

LeftyJason

Thumbnail-les
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2017
    Kaysville Utah
    If you're worried about not having clearace on the inside send it to @LongRifles Inc. They will hone the inside with a sunnen hone machine if needed. Chad did a video on it awhile ago.

Reactions: Wiscat

Bourbon_and_Bullets

Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself.
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Dec 13, 2019
    I know, 5 shot groups...

but, had a buddy who had never shot before who wanted to learn today. Only had 100 yards available so wanted to teach him fundamentals.

Gun: Factory CTR 24” 6.5
    Ammo : Factory 140 eld m

after his first 3 round string we changed out rear bag and he shot the following:

1634FE23-135D-4C2C-9A55-E24747C604C7.jpeg
    F0F91BF9-6E69-4D02-A6BC-B92248AE154E.jpeg

I have never seen someone hop on a gun and pick it up so fast. He is an archery guy so was able to understand his interface with the gun and movement very quickly.

a buddy had also sent me some handloads he wanted me to try. Not having many, i just shot one group to verify

06675E5C-3C85-4640-875C-D8467B7A98B6.jpeg

These guns continue to blow me away. They just flat out shoot.

Boltyboi

dirty little vortex whore
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 25, 2019

I've got a 24" varmnit in an X-ray, and own a bravo for my t1x. The .223 is a heavy SOB, and works just find in the krg. The t1x in the bravo is not much heavier than when it was wearing the varmit stock. Heavy vs light scope will make a bigger difference than adding the bravo.

I use accurate mag .223 mags. Little pricey but they are fantastic