• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tikka T3 Thread

This one was the sporter option. So it had to be opened up to accommodate the fatty proof barrel.

I purchased a second one with the varmint/tactical contour channel so we will see how much it needs to be opened up for the 18” 6.5 prc carbon barrel that’s going in there. Basically wanting 24” barrel 6.5 cm performance with 6” less barrel which isn’t a bad place to be.

Cool man thanks. Did you do the work yourself and how’d you do it?

These girls will have a new partner next week :p
ctr.JPG

Tikka T3 6.5 prc , bartlein 24” Med Palma.

Attachments

• 39A0248C-4724-44AD-9812-06B794E98B3F.jpeg
    39A0248C-4724-44AD-9812-06B794E98B3F.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 234
  • 3A2F500B-D066-43BE-8532-94845933CD4B.jpeg
    3A2F500B-D066-43BE-8532-94845933CD4B.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 213
  • 5ACF937F-E149-4805-91B8-1726BB0B6799.jpeg
    5ACF937F-E149-4805-91B8-1726BB0B6799.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 201
  • A7137AFE-6376-4C5F-8AA2-C03B74A18C78.jpeg
    A7137AFE-6376-4C5F-8AA2-C03B74A18C78.jpeg
    354.1 KB · Views: 196
  • 1CA6B937-D77A-4ADE-9FD5-A9E82426BF36.jpeg
    1CA6B937-D77A-4ADE-9FD5-A9E82426BF36.jpeg
    852.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 02D21658-F8B8-4818-B558-FEC4E6D80B7F.jpeg
    02D21658-F8B8-4818-B558-FEC4E6D80B7F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 146
Cool man thanks. Did you do the work yourself and how’d you do it?

No sir I dropped the stock off with my smith at the same time I dropped off the donor rifle and proof barrel. So he opened the channel for a free float.

So I just bought a T3x CTR in 6.5. Got a KRG W3 chassis coming in soon. I’m looking to put a Razor HD gen ii 4.5x27 on it. Wondering what ring height I should get.

Should I get a Spuhr mount or try and remove the stock rail?

How difficult is it to remove the stock rail?

This will be my first long range rifle so any help is appreciated.

Reactions: Jknox1030
I removed my stock rail and got a 20 moa to replace it. I went with 1 inch height vortex/seeking rings and was fine. Could probably go one smaller.

I think it was 1 inch. Let me get home and check to make sure.

On a CTR I would opt to change the rail over a 20moa mount. That's just me though, all my other rifles have 20moa rails, and swapping scopes around happens once in awhile

I swapped the OEM 0 MOA Pic Rail to an Area 419 20 MOA rail and used a 1k watt heat gun to warm up the rail and soften the bedding compound. I had the barreled action out of the stock and in a padded vise, the attaching screws came out without much force, heated the rail to a bit beyond hot to the touch, and used a wooden door shim / wedge an a hammer to knock the rail off of the action. All of the bedding compound went with the rail, so I was fortunate. Cleaned the mating surfaces with brake cleaner an installed the new rail with some blue loctite on the attaching screws.. About a 15 minute job, at most.
I swapped the Athlon Ares BTR and rings from my Savage with a 20 MOA EGW rail onto my Tikka / Area 419 20 MOA rail, today I laser boresighted it at 50 yards it it was about 0.8mils up from the Savage 100 yard actual zero. We’ll see where it zeros during tomorrow’s range trip.

Last edited:
No sir I dropped the stock off with my smith at the same time I dropped off the donor rifle and proof barrel. So he opened the channel for a free float.

Is that a Mountain Tactical rail?

Love the build, I have a few 6.5 8 twist Proof Sendero light barrels (20” and 22”) and am debating 6.5 Creed VS 6.5 PRC...

Very interested in both of these GGS stocks. Now that you've had a chance to compare them next to one another, what are your thoughts on each? Pros and cons? Which seems more suitable for a dual steel/hunt role?

Nik

I had surgery on my left arm the 27th, so I haven't shot anything yet. I have a 3 lb weight limit on my arm for 4 more weeks. I do like how light the Ranger is compared to the Predator. I used the Predator for PRS matches with a 23.5" medium palma Bartlein last year. It fits me good, but I need more weight to help with recoil control for PRS. The Predator would work with a heavier barrel, but it was 12.5 lbs with the suppressor and no magazine. I might end up putting the CTR in the Ranger with the 20" barrel for a lighter hunting rifle and putting the varmint in the Predator.

I have another Tikka that I bought for a dedicated match rifle build. I am going varmint contour, 26" in a 22 BR. Their Raptor would be the best choice for a PRS stock as it is the heaviest. I am wanting at least 16-18 lbs all in, even with the 22 BR.

Reactions: Nik S
You guys with T3X barreled actions going into chassis and the factory stocks collecting dust...hit me up. Still looking for a sporter T3X stock. Thanks!

Reactions: 260284
Well it’s all done...for now.

Just one 6 pounds even with a 20 moa pic rail, just under 8.25 pounds with 4-16 NF ATACR, and just under 9 pounds with an TBAC ultra 7 on there.

After barrel break in initial load work ups showed it likes 212 eldx with a nice flat node around 2860 fps which isn’t to shabby from the 22” proof barrel.

View attachment 7002105

Bare rifle:
View attachment 7002106

With the NF 4-16 on there:
View attachment 7002109

And of course to SHHHHH the beast :)
View attachment 7002111

Beautiful rifle. What’s the best way to get one of these stocks in the US? It’s a southland from NZ correct?

Is that a Mountain Tactical rail?

Love the build, I have a few 6.5 8 twist Proof Sendero light barrels (20” and 22”) and am debating 6.5 Creed VS 6.5 PRC...

It’s a Anarchy Outdoors rail actually. I have a few of both and both see good quality and employ the recoil lug on the top of the action.

I have a 20” 6.5 proof on backorder as well. Like you I am trying to decide PRC or Creedmoor.....logical side of me says Creedmoor since I already am setup with dies and brass the fun side of me wants to try the 6.5 PRC to essentially get 24” 6.5 CM barrel in a 20” barrel.

Either way I have one more of these stocks left for this project we shall see.

Beautiful rifle. What’s the best way to get one of these stocks in the US? It’s a southland from NZ correct?

I purchased this one during the 4th of July sale from Stocky stocks. I just purchased another a couple weeks ago from them as well on closeout and 10% came to $494.

Has anyone heard of tikka will be offering the CTR in .223 for 2019? I see they offer it in the TAC A1. Interested in the CTR. Thanks.

Can anyone with experience with both tell me how the Timney two stage triggers compare to the Tac A1 trigger? I’m debating setting up a rifle with a Timney and and MPA chassis vs just buying the A1. The A1 trigger feels great at the store but I’m not crazy about the chassis.

Has anyone heard of tikka will be offering the CTR in .223 for 2019? I see they offer it in the TAC A1. Interested in the CTR. Thanks.

A few months ago I messaged Tikka on FB where they told me definitively "first half of 2019". Then a guy (can't remember his name) from Whittaker guns tells me in December they're already being brought in under the Sako Select program. Then I asked Beretta and was told none are being imported. o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: blackradon
@SawBoss How difficult of a job was it to get the KRG butt plate assembly on that factory stock? I've been wondering if this would be possible.

I need advice on aftermarket chassis for Tikka T3x CTR. I want it to be light enough for hunting (i.e. not heavier than original stock) but at the same time I want the m-lok forend so I can grab the barrel without the risk of burning yourself. Any such chassis around?

My GGS Ranger is about 2.5-2.7 lbs. Need to put it on digital scales. My .223 varmint weighs about 13 lbs in the Ranger with the suppressor, a GGS bipod, the 4.5-18 LRHS, and a full 10 round MDT magazine.

Need some help with a T3X CTR in factory stock. I took the CTR out of the stock to adjust the trigger, holy crap it's nice, and when I went to return the action into the stock, it seemed to pivot (rock back and forth from muzzle to breach) before adding the screws. Did it not seat onto the recoil lug properly? I couldn't get it to seat right and was worried about undue stress on the action, so I hand-tightened the screws and came here for help.
Is there a trick to getting these things to seat properly in the stock?

Need some help with a T3X CTR in factory stock. I took the CTR out of the stock to adjust the trigger, holy crap it's nice, and when I went to return the action into the stock, it seemed to pivot (rock back and forth from muzzle to breach) before adding the screws. Did it not seat onto the recoil lug properly? I couldn't get it to seat right and was worried about undue stress on the action, so I hand-tightened the screws and came here for help.

Take your time to get the action mounted properly to the stock.
You are good to go, when the action is lined to the stock and the over pressure hole is similar to this picture.
I dont think you have done any harm to your action, just take it apart and resembled with care.
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Afkirby
Take your time to get the action mounted properly to the stock.
You are good to go, when the action is lined to the stock and the over pressure hole is similar to this picture.
I dont think you have done any harm to your action, just take it apart and resembled with care.
maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks!

Reactions: viking78

Another simple trick is to put a tiny piece of tape on the stock where the recoil lug is and do the same on the receiver where the slot is. Then you line up the pieces of tape and it should sit down.

Another way is to put it in slightly forward (like a 1/4"), press down and gently slide it back. You'll see and hear when it seats.

Once you get it a couple of times it won't be an issue.

-Stooxie

My GGS Ranger is about 2.5-2.7 lbs. Need to put it on digital scales. My .223 varmint weighs about 13 lbs in the Ranger with the suppressor, a GGS bipod, the 4.5-18 LRHS, and a full 10 round MDT magazine.

Not aware of any GGS bipod, though am happy to be wrong.

I believe it’s a CTR mag with a polymer insert, similar to what accurate mag does with their 223 aics mags.

I have seen a picture and a video of someone shooting a .223 CTr and the outside of the magazine looked just like the 308/6.5 CTR mags. The insert like the accurate is probably right on the money.

Reactions: Afkirby
@JGR1953 works out to be about $40US, Brownells sells the tikka bolt stop kit for $76US, and it comes with a long and short bolt stop (no choice for just 1). So maybe not as expensive as what else is out there.

Reactions: 260284
20" 308, recently built for a <600m general purpose / hunting rifle. Deer, hogs, and coyotes in my neck of the woods are typically taken at less than 100m, with the majority in dense woodlands/swamps at less than 40m. This drove my optics choice. I'm not a great rifleman (came here to learn), but it managed just over an inch with crappy 150gr AE FMJ and 6x optic. This will work perfect for its intended use. Very happy with how it turned out.

46681739462_299a382b67_b.jpg

45818823045_a39d822290_b.jpg

So I just bought a T3x CTR in 6.5. Got a KRG W3 chassis coming in soon. I’m looking to put a Razor HD gen ii 4.5x27 on it. Wondering what ring height I should get.

Sent you a pm. I went with 1.35” sphur

Attachments

• 5434B371-6303-4B09-951E-AFB472FF8149.jpeg
    5434B371-6303-4B09-951E-AFB472FF8149.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 172

Heat the factory rail with a heat gun and/or use a soldering iron to heat each screw and it comes off no problem. I have a 56mm scope on a CTR with a 20 moa rail and 1" Badger rings. I could have gone lower, but my next barrel is a varmint profile and I will have the Vortex Defenders on it. The Spuhr is really nice, but mine is more of a budget build.