• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

I just purchased a 20” Tikka T3X CTR in .308. I want to use this rifle as a training tool to learn how to shoot out to 800-1000 yards. I have a Surefire Genesis suppressor inbound for the set up.

Regardless, I was eyeballing a few stocks. McMillan has a carbon fiber stock called the “Game Scout” https://mcmillanusa.com/product/adjustable-game-scout-t3-ctr/ .

I was curious if anyone here had experience with this stock. My idea would be to put a 4-16x scope on top (probably Nightforce), and keep the overall set up light weight. I would prefer to use factory magazines and keep the factory components (only do a stock change). I would have purchased the Tac 3A1 model had I wanted something heavier.
No experience with the game scout, but I moved my T3 from a KRG X-Ray to a McM A3 when I was looking to accomplish the same goal. Nightforce ATACR 4-16, too. I really like this combo for my purpose.

I just bought a Bell and Carlson Tikka T3 CTR Target/Competition Stock With Adjustable Cheekpiece for my Tikka CTR I just got it installed Friday and haven't gotten a chance to shoot with it yet. I am pretty impressed with it the fit and finish is as close to perfect has I have seen for a after market stock, it has a built in recoil lug that is part of the aluminum bedding system, factory bottom metal sits/fits like a glove almost as if it were OEM, when I dropped the rifle into the stock it just fit perfectly and when I tightened the action screws there was no movement or flex of the stock it was rock solid. Oh and the price was pretty hard to beat $395.00 and shipped pretty quick.

https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=1129

I just purchased a 20” Tikka T3X CTR in .308. I want to use this rifle as a training tool to learn how to shoot out to 800-1000 yards. I have a Surefire Genesis suppressor inbound for the set up.

Regardless, I was eyeballing a few stocks. McMillan has a carbon fiber stock called the “Game Scout” https://mcmillanusa.com/product/adjustable-game-scout-t3-ctr/ .

I was curious if anyone here had experience with this stock. My idea would be to put a 4-16x scope on top (probably Nightforce), and keep the overall set up light weight. I would prefer to use factory magazines and keep the factory components (only do a stock change). I would have purchased the Tac 3A1 model had I wanted something heavier.

I have one that I put on my SS .308 Tikka T3X hunter with fluted barrel. The stock is awesome, pillar bedded, free floating, cheekriser, speckletone finish. But bare in mind that the inlet of that stock is for the "factoy" Tikka T3 plastic magazines, not for the CTR. I checked the barrel channel with my CTR and it will fit but the CTR dbm don't.

how does the Tikka T3x tac a1 compare with a RPR? I have a Sako TRG22 and love Sako guns and am thinking seriously about a tac A1

I have shot my Tikka T3x Lite in 270 win and a RPR in 308. The set up of the RPR is cool, but the action is not even close in the same league as the tikka. I would say get the TAC A1 and don't look back. I am having a manners stock built for my T3x, and was considering the TAC, but it is not offered in the caliber that I wanted, (243 win).

Has anyone,( after installing new bottom metal and a new magazine), experienced and reduction of smoothness in the cycling/feeding of your action?? My factory T3x in 270 win is by far the most smoothest action I have ever seen. The idea of necessity of getting a completely different bottom metal and magazine is keeping me awake at night. I ordered my first custom stock, a MCS-EH1T and I am trying to cover all of my bases in this regard. Thx!

I bought a used Varmint in .223 that came with CDI bottom metal and a couple of metal Accurate AICS mags. They didn't let me load as long as the MDT mags, so I sold them and went with MDT. I had to "adjust" the front of the mag well with a ball peen hammer to get both brands of mags to fit snug enough to feed right. Once I did that, my bolt was dragging on the MDT feed lips. I filed and sanded them down so they fit snug, no bolt drag, and they feed great. I am loading the 75 ELDM to 2.49" with the MDT mags.

Reactions: kimberyote
how does the Tikka T3x tac a1 compare with a RPR? I have a Sako TRG22 and love Sako guns and am thinking seriously about a tac A1

The RPR isn't in the same league as even your basic Tikka. The actions feel like zippers and I can't get mine to feed reliably. I bought my RPR during the whole craze and regretted it since. I've since replaced it with my Tikka and now the RPR sits in the safe and never gets used.

The RPR isn't in the same league as even your basic Tikka. The actions feel like zippers and I can't get mine to feed reliably. I bought my RPR during the whole craze and regretted it since. I've since replaced it with my Tikka and now the RPR sits in the safe and never gets used.

I've never handled an RPR, but this is kind of what I expected. The only bolt action I've used that is comparable to my Tikka in smoothness is my Enfield, and that is a well-worn cock on closing gun.

I have that exact same stock. I like it, easy to adjust height, does have vertical grip and palm swell. "Adjustable" parts add some weight believe it's around 2.75 lbs. One I have fits the standard T3 bottom metal configuration not CTR. It's at the smith right now getting set up for a proof rebarrel, but pm me if you have any specific questions I'll try to answer.

Mourning,
I follow this Tikka thread a lot, good stuff. These stock questions and answers are always good for the thinking cap. I have moved to the TX3 COMPACT in 22-250 for my varmint rifle. CTR will be my next purchase this week. My brothers CTR in 308 shoots great. I want a different stock for my present 20 inch compact rifle. Any suggestions?? I have looked at McMillian, just do not have a clue as to which stock. ?? I hope I am in the right place to ask this question...CHARLIE112

Manners (just came out with a couple new ones), McMillan, B&C, Stockys. Depends what you are looking for as to weight, adjustability of cheek piece, finish, aluminum chassis or have it bedded, vehicle grip or hunting style. Remember to make sure to get the correct inlet and bottom metal configuration and proper size barrel channel so you don't end up with a massive gap between the barrel and stock. I would suggest going to stockys as they have most of these listed (though many of the more popular are backordered) to give you an idea of the configuration that's out there and price points. You can also call stockys and tell them what you are trying to do and they can kind of guide you. They have some new Tikka configurations as well.

Manners (just came out with a couple new ones), McMillan, B&C, Stockys. Depends what you are looking for as to weight, adjustability of cheek piece, finish, aluminum chassis or have it bedded, vehicle grip or hunting style. Remember to make sure to get the correct inlet and bottom metal configuration and proper size barrel channel so you don't end up with a massive gap between the barrel and stock. I would suggest going to stockys as they have most of these listed (though many of the more popular are backordered) to give you an idea of the configuration that's out there and price points. You can also call stockys and tell them what you are trying to do and they can kind of guide you. They have some new Tikka configurations as well.

KRG also has the Bravo for the Tikka.

Reactions: coltm4
Thanks for the input especially from those who have had experience with both. I have a Sako TRG22 in .308 and I was afraid I would not be happy going backwards...so to speak. The action on the TRG is smooth like butta.

Reactions: coltm4
I bought a used Varmint in .223 that came with CDI bottom metal and a couple of metal Accurate AICS mags. They didn't let me load as long as the MDT mags, so I sold them and went with MDT. I had to "adjust" the front of the mag well with a ball peen hammer to get both brands of mags to fit snug enough to feed right. Once I did that, my bolt was dragging on the MDT feed lips. I filed and sanded them down so they fit snug, no bolt drag, and they feed great. I am loading the 75 ELDM to 2.49" with the MDT mags.
Hammer and a file is what I would like to avoid!! Yikes!! Any other different bottom meta/magazine you could suggest so the same doesn't happen to me? Thanks for the info!

I have a game Scout for my Tikka rebarrelled in 280ai — it’s my favorite stock (my A3 and EH1A are a close second).

The CTR Bottom Metal is slightly too wide for the game Scout. You can have it opened up but the edges of the bottom inlet on stock won’t quite wrap around the edges of the factory CTR bottom metal.

Reactions: madangler1
Is anyone aware of a bolt shroud that is shaped like the one on a TRG 22? I'm in the mood to replace the plastic one, but most of the ones out there don't do anything for me aesthetically speaking.

Is anyone aware of a bolt shroud that is shaped like the one on a TRG 22? I'm in the mood to replace the plastic one, but most of the ones out there don't do anything for me aesthetically speaking.
(LEFT TO RIGHT) - Sako TRG, Quick Model/Render of what a Tikka shroud could be - based off internal and external fixed measurements that can't change. Pic 3 is the new GEN2 Sterk Shroud which has a little hint of Sako with the Top flat.
TikkaTRGStyle.jpg

Hammer and a file is what I would like to avoid!! Yikes!! Any other different bottom meta/magazine you could suggest so the same doesn't happen to me? Thanks for the info!

The hammer work was suggested by CDI to get the magazines to stop sagging in the front. Filing the MDT mags is a simple fix for a $30 magazine. CDI was very helpful on the phone even though I didn't buy the bottom metal from them. They even offered to send a different mag catch lever for free. They will have my business in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input especially from those who have had experience with both. I have a Sako TRG22 in .308 and I was afraid I would not be happy going backwards...so to speak. The action on the TRG is smooth like butta.

The KRG Bravo with a Tikka in it would be close to a budget TRG. The TAC A1 would be even closer.

Has anyone,( after installing new bottom metal and a new magazine), experienced and reduction of smoothness in the cycling/feeding of your action?? My factory T3x in 270 win is by far the most smoothest action I have ever seen. The idea of necessity of getting a completely different bottom metal and magazine is keeping me awake at night. I ordered my first custom stock, a MCS-EH1T and I am trying to cover all of my bases in this regard. Thx!

For a 270 and aftermarket bottom metal, I would look at Mountain Tactical and Red Snake.

Looking for recommendations for match ammo in a .223. Running a 20” TAC in a MPA chassis. Have a class coming up and don’t have time to dial in the reloads. Anyone have anything to recommend?

(LEFT TO RIGHT) - Sako TRG, Quick Model/Render of what a Tikka shroud could be - based off internal and external fixed measurements that can't change. Pic 3 is the new GEN2 Sterk Shroud which has a little hint of Sako with the Top flat.
View attachment 6880965

I love the rendering. Add some crosshatching on the top and rear of bolt and voila!

I have a TRG 22 and am a believer in Sako guns. If I wanted a Tikka 3x a1 without the AR type chassis what Tikka gun would be basically the same as the A1 but with a non-AR chassis/stock?

Looking for recommendations for match ammo in a .223. Running a 20” TAC in a MPA chassis. Have a class coming up and don’t have time to dial in the reloads. Anyone have anything to recommend?

The guy I bought my Varmint from shot Fiocchi 77 grain. Said it was a 1/2" with that ammo.

Does anyone know if the Sterk Swept handles will work with the Cadex folding chassis? Will the swept handle get in the way of allowing the stock to close? Maybe you would know CannonCrossfire?

Does anyone know if the Sterk Swept handles will work with the Cadex folding chassis? Will the swept handle get in the way of allowing the stock to close? Maybe you would know CannonCrossfire?

Edit: I saw you were looking for the folder, but Frank replaced it with a fixed stock. I'd still think it would work though. Look at the clearance between the bolt and stock when back in Frank's video vs the picture. You should be good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180307-114259.png
    Screenshot_20180307-114259.png
    317.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Mine loves the Black Hills 77GR Sierra Matchking. I'm hoping to get some Hornady 73GR ELDM to try out this weekend.

Just a quick question, not sure if this is the right place to ask but thought I'd try. I'm looking at getting a tikka .223 varmint, I've seen that tikka is still making the super varmint rifle, but it doesn't seem like it is sold in the US, do you know if this is the case and only the standard t3x varmint is available here? Thanks!

True. The single stage is really good, the 2 stage a1 is just icing on the cake.

I prefer the 2 stage but I wouldn’t replace a one stage with one if you already had it on a CTR.

The Tikka t3x has several options as well. The only reason I am "iffy" on the tac 1a is I am not sure I would like the AR/chassis style stock.

Edit: I saw you were looking for the folder, but Frank replaced it with a fixed stock. I'd still think it would work though. Look at the clearance between the bolt and stock when back in Frank's video vs the picture. You should be good.

Yeah I saw that video, but still am a bit iffy, because the Sterk sweeps pretty far back compared to the stock bolt handle and a Remington 700 handle. I watched as many videos as I could of the stock actually being folded (there's not videos or pics out there), and there is not as much clearance as you would think. I guess I won't know until my I get the Sterk handle in. Lowlight said that not many bolt handles work on the Cadex folders when I asked him about it on that Youtube video, but hopefully this is an exception. No worries, I'll try update the forum in case some others are considering the same chassis and bolt handle. If it doesn't work, I'll just get one of the Sterk pineapples. Stand by for future update. Handle should be in sometime at the end of the month or beginning of April.

Reactions: Tunnuh
Yeah I saw that video, but still am a bit iffy, because the Sterk sweeps pretty far back compared to the stock bolt handle and a Remington 700 handle. I watched as many videos as I could of the stock actually being folded (there's not videos or pics out there), and there is not as much clearance as you would think. I guess I won't know until my I get the Sterk handle in. Lowlight said that not many bolt handles work on the Cadex folders when I asked him about it on that Youtube video, but hopefully this is an exception. No worries, I'll try update the forum in case some others are considering the same chassis and bolt handle. If it doesn't work, I'll just get one of the Sterk pineapples. Stand by for future update. Handle should be in sometime at the end of the month or beginning of April.

if LL said not many bolt handles work on Cadex folders, I would take that to mean anything swept back. just looking at the pics and measuring from the hinge back to the cheekpiece, that length moved forward of the hinge looks like it will cover the bolt.

how far it projects out from the rifle is the mystery...

Guys, there's a couple deals on some T3X CTR's at Euro Optic in their spring clearance sale. They've got SS 6.5 Creedmoor 20" models and Blued 308 20" models on sale. Click the link below and add to cart for sale price.

Link

I'm honestly not sure if the swept ball handle will work with the folder or not, the length and angle the handle comes back might not fit through the hole in the cadex. Bit hard to change the ergonomics of the handle to suit the hole in the chassis - shortening the handle would make it harder to use. Could use a straight handle?

Guys, there's a couple deals on some T3X CTR's at Euro Optic in their spring clearance sale. They've got SS 6.5 Creedmoor 20" models and Blued 308 20" models on sale. Click the link below and add to cart for sale price.

Link

Unless you have a promo code, Whittaker has a bit better pricing.

Reactions: Changed
.....I did. Are you seeing less than 848 in your cart?

Last edited: