• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

I am definitely finding this out to be true. I want all my cake and want to eat it too. Bartlein just announced a new proprietary steel they developed and can significantly increase the barrel life, as well as spin up carbon fiber barrels in the same. Their weight estimates are higher than proof prefits but might be from weighed blanks so I think it will be comparable once they are chambered...hopefully. If not my weight went up even more!

As others have said cutting weight is a game of compromises, but it's certainly easier to do with components today than it was just a few short years ago. This is 9.25lb without the Atlas bipod:

IMG_3916.jpg

Looking at getting a new tikka in 308. Was planning on getting the ctr but they didn’t have one in stock. So just looking at others and picked up the tikka t3x lite roughtech. Man it felt great. Any experience with the lite roughtech? I just don’t want to give up any accuracy/performance going with the lite. This will be a hunting rig. Won’t be any long walks to stand and definitely not going to be a mountain rifle . So weight isn’t a issue. Thanks

Reactions: KSP
I have a CTR, 20" 6.5 cm on the way. I'm ordering a brake and want to have it tapered to match the barrel. Can anybody tell me the barrel diameter at the base of the muzzle thread on the factory threaded 20" barrel please.

Obviously if I had the rifle I would just caliper it, but I'm hoping to have the brake here when I get the gun.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I'm looking to get some advice, I have been shooting a Tikka t3x CTR 24 inch 6.5 in competition now for about two years. It's been a great ride but at this point I find that my rifle is too light and in odd or rushed positions without a perfect prone cheek weld I really struggle to see my impacts. I have shot other competitors rifles in heavy chassis with 6 dashers and find the number of advantages to be ridiculous. I find the advantages so great that if I plan to continue competing (which is going to happen no matter what) It's going to constantly bother me unless I upgrade. I want to up my game and get a sniper fill McMillan A5 and as heavy of a barrel as possible. I really am looking to redo the rifle while keeping the tikka action. I find it difficult to rationalize spending 1000$+ on a custom when the Tikka action is butter. I was really hoping to get some feedback from the hide.
(please enjoy my hairy legs and kitty mouse pad)

IMG_20200802_125243236.jpg

I'm looking to get some advice, I have been shooting a Tikka t3x CTR 24 inch 6.5 in competition now for about two years. It's been a great ride but at this point I find that my rifle is too light and in odd or rushed positions without a perfect prone cheek weld I really struggle to see my impacts. I have shot other competitors rifles in heavy chassis with 6 dashers and find the number of advantages to be ridiculous. I find the advantages so great that if I plan to continue competing (which is going to happen no matter what) It's going to constantly bother me unless I upgrade. I want to up my game and get a sniper fill McMillan A5 and as heavy of a barrel as possible. I really am looking to redo the rifle while keeping the tikka action. I find it difficult to rationalize spending 1000$+ on a custom when the Tikka action is butter. I was really hoping to get some feedback from the hide.

View attachment 7396218
Build on that Tikka action. Get a prefit barrel or have a good barrel chambered in something like 6 mm dasher if you care to switch. That is what I hope to do with my Tikka ctr that I have shot for 2 years in a Bravo chassis, 3000 rounds and it will be due for re-barrel anyway. The action is butter. A Heavy Palma barrel 26" with a heavier stock and you should be way better off even if you stick with 6.5 cm. You could even begin with just the stock and you will probably see a difference right there, then in the off season rebarrel it. good luck

IMG_3224.jpg

A modern take on the 30-06...
- Proof Pre-Fit
- Mesa Precision Altitude Barrel
- RedSnake L/A Bottom Metal (AICS Mags)
- VX-5HD 3-5x15 in DNZ Mount
- Ultra 7

Shooting 166 Hammer Hunters at 2940fps with .5 MOA accuracy on the regular. This rifle is certainly a better shooter than I am.

Tikka Hybrid.
Tikka T3 Varmint SS 24" 260rem & TAC A1 chassis, TRG magazine.
Wont stay on this color theme long time, cerakoting is on the map.
Cerakote new Elite coated, will take more beating that normal cerakote, only problem is that there aint many color choises.
I have been thinking that it would be all grey, or chassis 100% and action would be on sand and barrel only in black, or sand, or the

P1470782.JPG

• Love
Reactions: DonHD1975
View attachment 7396378

- Proof Pre-Fit
- Ultra 7

Shooting 166 Hammer Hunters at 2940fps with .5 MOA accuracy on the regular. This rifle is certainly a better shooter than I am.
Why did you put the rifle in front of a mirror and take a photo of the reflection? :unsure:

Reactions: Mark @ Exo
View attachment 7396378

- Proof Pre-Fit
- Ultra 7

Why did you put the rifle in front of a mirror and take a photo of the reflection? :unsure:
Looks perfectly fine to me. Don't know what you're talking about @wade2big . Looks great Mark.

Reactions: Mark @ Exo
71F47109-5519-46E0-8689-65E25A377F5C.jpeg

Everyone needs a 223 t3

Over 800 rounds on the mountain tactical mags now from factory spec short ammo, to 2.45” hand loads. Been working great, glad I got 3 of them.

Last edited:
Removing my T3X CTR from the chassis and putting it in the MDT chassis was easy as heck, took 5 mins. Just make sure you have the right tools and tool sizes for the lugs, if anyone is worried about the complexity

Thank you. I need to look in to these. I should be getting my T3x 7rm tomorrow or friday and 7 saum brass is short to follow. If the cartridges dont work well in the tikka mags these look like the go to. You havent tried either of these in a tikka have you?

1597275204722.png

This is essentially the configuration I am going for with the bottom metal. I like the idea of being able to use flush mags for hunting or longer mags for steel/fun though. For hunting, its whatever is the most reliable and lightest.

Reactions: Big Bo

View attachment 7396218
EA7DA4FF-DE07-4EBA-8AEC-FE7C71F4DD11.jpeg

I debated that too but it’s hard to beat the performance. Criterion prefit 24” MTU profile. Manners T6A. Assembled in my garage. Per Manners no bedding is required on the tikka inlet. Rifle shoots lights out.

I have a Tikka, which I am rebuilding to utilize 7 SAUM. I want to use the MDT Tac 3.560 magazine. Are there any bottom metals compatible with MDT magazines?
I asked MDT that same question last year and they told me none that they knew of.....YMMV

I like the MDT LSS XL Gen 2 Chassis, but I was looking for more tradition stock like a grayboe.
I would look at the Mountain Tactical LA billet mag and BDM.
Unless your going to load longer than 3.34 ? and want to load more than 3
They take 300 wsm so your base diameter would be the same at .555
I've got one for my 6.5 PRC in an Atlasworx BDM and they work great.

Reactions: viking78
I would look at the Mountain Tactical LA billet mag and BDM.
Unless your going to load longer than 3.34 ? and want to load more than 3
They take 300 wsm so your base diameter would be the same at .555
I've got one for my 6.5 PRC in an Atlasworx BDM and they work great.

I’d be happy to sell a MT wsm long action Magazine for factory tikka bottom metal. The hells canyon ones are better.

I’d be happy to sell a MT wsm long action Magazine for factory tikka bottom metal. The hells canyon ones are better.
Glad the HC worked for you...
I tried 2 different factory plastic DBM's and also the Atlasworx in 3 different stocks and the HC magazine would not properly fit in any of them.
They were all too tight and would not lock in and had to be forcefully removed.
I talked to Mike at HC and he told me that he could take multiple factory/aftermarket DBM's and it was just hit or miss on getting them to work.
He refunded my money and paid for shipping both ways.....

What have you guys used as far as a bipod on the original stock? Mine is a CTR for reference. Not really looking to drop it in a chassis. Not at the present moment anyhow.
Harris bipod attached to the front spigot seems to work well enough. Initial sight in with Hornady American Gunner 140 gr BTHP.

Attachments

• Tikka CTR.jpg
    Tikka CTR.jpg
    721.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Tikka sight in.jpg
    Tikka sight in.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 107
I posted this in the main forum but probably better fitted for this thread.....

I have a Tikka Tac T3x and would like to shed the chassis in favor of a Manners. Looking at Manners ready to ship options and there are a few I like but for a T3. Will this work, or can I make it work for my barreled action? Thx

Testing my new 260rem T3 SS Varmint Tikka, with my old buddy T3X CTR with Whiskey.
Holy s..t, dont have words to say, but these Tikka rifles are just awesome, no wonder so many are buying these rifles.
Factory barrels guys, no custom here.
Only the ammo is hand loaded, but i expect that every one who loves them rifles are doing the same.
Lapua 123 Scenar, N150 Vihtavuori 38.6gr COL 73.5mm.

Glad the HC worked for you...
I tried 2 different factory plastic DBM's and also the Atlasworx in 3 different stocks and the HC magazine would not properly fit in any of them.
They were all too tight and would not lock in and had to be forcefully removed.
I talked to Mike at HC and he told me that he could take multiple factory/aftermarket DBM's and it was just hit or miss on getting them to work.
He refunded my money and paid for shipping both ways.....

Interesting, I'll keep that in mind for future builds. My sample size of one is with Mountain Tactical performance OEM replacement bottom metal. The HC mag works quite a bit better than the MT mag.

I posted this in the main forum but probably better fitted for this thread.....

I have a Tikka Tac T3x and would like to shed the chassis in favor of a Manners. Looking at Manners ready to ship options and there are a few I like but for a T3. Will this work, or can I make it work for my barreled action? Thx
A T3x Tac is still a T3, so yes it will fit - you'll have to take all the Tac chassis stuff off the rifle, you'll have the picatinny rail on the action that sits high due to being meant for the chassis, and you'll need bottom metal/triggerguard because the chassis has that built in. So along with the Manners which will fit no problem I'd recommend getting a new triggerguard that suits the manners stock bottom metal inlet and a new picatinny rail - keep/sell the Tac chassis parts all together.

Isn't there also an issue with using the OEM TAC magazines in a Manner Chassis? I think Manners may supply a magazine with the chassis

Was finally able to reach someone at Manners. Using their new mini chassis, the barreled action should drop right in and I would be required to use AICS mags which one is supplied. I would sell the Tac chassis.

Hell, maybe I should just sell the Tac and buy a T3 or T3X.

Went in a to 350-meters today.
Full sized some brass and let the metal song in the range.
I have factory trigger with yodaves spring on it.

Has any one done a thump rest on a TAC A1 chassis?
I am going to make one on this.
Hate the death grip style shooting with these AR style pistol grip chassies.
I have 2 KRG Whiskey chassis, and they have the best thump rest on the chassis i have tested.
So i want to modified this TAC A1 chassis as much as i can, to get it perfect for me.
Also thinking the Magpul PRS rear stock, but im not sure, will it be better than the factory one.
It is front weighted now, even the factory one is, but now with the 24" varmint barrel, it is even more.
It is not a problem from shooting at prone, but PRS style shooting, it might be.

Last edited:
Has any one done a thump rest on a TAC A1 chassis?
I am going to make one on this.
Hate the death grip style shooting with these AR style pistol grip chassies.

that bothers me and so far it was the reason I didn't buy the tac a1.

take a look at the variant of the xlr chassis, I think it's done quite well. something like this could perhaps be added to the tikka chassi

Probably due to the lack of mag length?
It's a good point though if you mean the plastic mags over the CTR versions.
I don't see the point in spending that much per mag and would rather go another route if going through the process of changing stock/chassis.

Probably due to the lack of mag length?
It's a good point though if you mean the plastic mags over the CTR versions.
I don't see the point in spending that much per mag and would rather go another route if going through the process of changing stock/chassis.

The MDT mags match the Tikka in a long action at 3.56, perfect for running Saums and WSM's with 180's at 3.2 or so. No need to stuff the bullet into the case.

Testing my new 260rem T3 SS Varmint Tikka, with my old buddy T3X CTR with Whiskey.
Holy s..t, dont have words to say, but these Tikka rifles are just awesome, no wonder so many are buying these rifles.
Factory barrels guys, no custom here.
Only the ammo is hand loaded, but i expect that every one who loves them rifles are doing the same.
Lapua 123 Scenar, N150 Vihtavuori 38.6gr COL 73.5mm.

I just took my new 6.5 T3X CTR to the range this weekend and had pretty much the same reaction. I was doing a load work up with H4350 39gr - 42.6 gr in 0.2gr increments and the "group" (excluding the first couple used to get the scope sighted in) was just a bit over MOA. I'm switching up my RPR for the Tikka and I don't think I'll miss it a bit.

one of my friends wants to move his T3 308 lite into another stock from the plastic stock it came in.

what have people used with good success with minimal if no modification to an aftermarket stock and what parts are needed if any to move it?

cheers