• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Varmint Project

Kilo_one_six

Swede
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2008
Sweden, Far up north.
Got this rifle today.

It's a Tikka T3 Varmint in 6,5x55 Swedish.

It has Tikkas original 2stage trigger.

This will be my project for awhile
smile.gif

t3v.jpg

p1020423t.jpg

More to come...

Stay tuned...

Re: Tikka T3 Varmint Project

Nope!

The action has to be relieved on the bottom.You would be the first person ever to do this,and.....the coolest guy on the planet
grin.gif

Steve

It looks like you don't have much clearance between the barrel and scope.

I'm looking forward to hearing how well it shoots.

I wish we could get the T3 Varmints in the good cartridges over here in the states.

Steve

How about a better pic of the bolt knob. Looks like a black ping pong ball.

Yeah, i took a long shoot and order TPS low rings. i have about 1mm clearence from the barrel.

It's a rubber ball mounted on the bolt. It will have to do until i'll find someting more permanent.

Havn't had time to try it out yet since it's really cold here atm.

Really looking forward to see how it shoots.

Imagine a T3 varmint in 6.5x55 in the US! The factory won't be able to keep up with the demand.

Why won't Beretta import this already? An excellent cartridge in an excellent gun!

Was on the shooting range yesterday, this is one of the groups that a buddy of mine shot with my T3.

5 shots, 100m, Group is 16,5mm CC.
img0297j.jpg

Sorry for the bad Iphone pic...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deh223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish my Tikka 308 would shoot like that, or maybe it will , it could just be me....lol </div></div>

hmmmm, Im thinking it'd be the latter lol

You are probably right ...lol
What type and weight ammo u shooting ? Still shooting factory ammo for now till i get it broke in, then am going to start reloading

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deh223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish my Tikka 308 would shoot like that, or maybe it will , it could just be me....lol </div></div>

hmmmm, Im thinking it'd be the latter lol </div></div>

Maybe... depends on whether you've ever shot well before. You can about lose your mind working with a gun that won't shoot if you're not sure it's the gun.

I bought a Tikka 300WSM about 3 years ago and that thing would not print under 2.5 inches no matter what I fed it. We checked everything. No joy.

Took my Tikka .270 out on the same day and shot some .5-.75" groups. Nope, not me.

Sent it back to Tikka and they gave me my money back.

It happens.

I have learned since then that some heavy recoiling Tikka's are VERY sensitive to action screw tension. They definitely benefit from a good pillar/skim bed job and it wouldn't hurt to replace that aluminum recoil lug with steel, or, even better, do what I did. I put a Tubb's Rem. 700 style lug on my 300WM, then pillar/skim bedded it. Really helped tighten up groups.

John

I really like the Tikka T3 platform. One of the best "feeling" bolts for factory production models that I have had the pleasure to mess with.

I am lucky enough to have a colleague who owns one and doesn't mind sharing when he and I go out to the range.

Its hard to argue with the relatively low price point as well.

K16,

Do you have a preference for the McM? Manners is inletting also in the T4 stock, very similar to the A5. I have one. I can send you pics if you want.

John

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Pics sent.</span>

email failed.

PM sent.

John

FYI for those of you who have tried to use the Tikka T3 action in a single-load-only competition environment (like a Silhouette match).....we know that the .223 version at least is hard to single-load due to the cartridge alignment on top of the magazine. The nose sometimes points down into the barrel shank rather than the chamber.

The solution is actually pretty darn simple. Buy a mag for a T3 in a larger caliber - I have tried both the .308 and the .30-06 mags, and they work just like a "sled" for High Power shooting. Single loading is easy.

Mags too expensive you say? I just bought two to test from www.M4store.net, they got here fast and they were "only" $35 each.

It's kinda sad thing that both Tikka guns and magazines cost half of the price in US than they do here in Finland
smile.gif
Good rifle though, I have a T3 varmint stainless lefty, but so far I haven't yet found a factory ammo that would perform well enough. Well, there's always reloading business, maybe 9g silver scenars will do the trick.

Sadly, the quality of tikka and sako went pretty much downhill after beretta deal, previously barrels were top notch but today you can get b-grade stuff if you're unlucky. Luckily factory trigger is still great and action is smooooth.

wow. this really gets me going. im planning on getting a super varmint in .223. btw where did you get that monopod for the back? a quick midway search didnt give much hope so im not sure where else to look

Tried some new ammo today.

This is 2 groups i shot with Lapua 100grains FMJ and 100grains Scenar.

p1030082h.jpg

The rifle. Still waiting for my Mcmillan A5...
p1030083.jpg

Sweet set-up & even sweeter shooting. I almost bought a Tikka Hunter in 6.5x55 but ended up with a .300WSM instead. Great set-up there, can't wait to see it in the Mcm stock.

First one i have seen in a mcmillan. thats one very nice set up you have there mate. all i would do i swap out those target turrets on your scope for M1 turrets.

again , awesome rifle!

Picked up my T3 Varmint in .308 today.
Only gripe is the single-stage trigger but i'll survive and probably replace it in the future if i can.

New scope.

NF NXS 5.5x22x56 MLR, Mrad
p1030617z.jpg

This is what I can do on a good day. I know, it's only 3 rounds..
img0656s.jpg

Also got a new bolt handle on the way, now i just want a DBM system...

Håller till i Västerbottens inland.

Despite the 5:e shot that i pulled i'm still satisfied, the group is still ~.5 moa, i'm satisfied with the rifle so far.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I was thinking about doing a T3 6.5x55 project on a KRG stock but Jason has not started the long action version yet. McM looks great

Kilo_One_Six, which version of McM A5 stock did you use? On McM website, I saw A5 vesions listed for Tikka 995, Sako TRG-S, but no T3. Or, is T3 and 995 interchangeable?