• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3X Custom?

YoungBuck94

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2014
Minnesota
Hey, so I've got an idea and looking for everyone's input on it... I've always had a fascination with the 6.5x55 round, and now that the Creedmoor is out, it makes me want one more. What I'd like to do is take a Tikka, and rebarrel it for the 6.5 Swede with either a Bartlein or maybe a Krieger barrel, throw a DBM on it and put it in a McMillan stock. It would just be a range and match gun, ideally out to 1000 yards but the furthest I currently have access to is just shy of 800. As I understand it, all T3's have the same action length, only difference being the bolt stop and magazines. I'm thinking I'd have to go with the RedSnake Tactical DBM since it seems to be the only one that has a long action variant. I think I'd go with a 26" barrel (probably 1:8 twist, I haven't figured out which contour I'd be looking at yet.) I'm thinking about a McMillan A5, but really don't have any experience with the high dollar stocks or chassis so I'm open to suggestions. Partially here, I think one of my goals is just to be different, I accomplish that all the time anyways, so why change?

This would be my first rifle I've had built so any and all input, I.E. Barrel manufacturers, gunsmiths, McMillan vs Manners, anything would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Wow, tons of info on this site and others.

Speaking for myself, unless you plan to reload the 6.5CM makes more sense due to available offerings from various ammo manufacturers.

Barrels, pick any one from the slew of the established barrelsmiths and be happy!

Gunsmiths, same as above.

McMillan vs Manners = Ford vs Chevy et cetera.

That all being said, my personal biases are the following:

1. 6.5CM
2. Mike @ Hells Canyon Armory for gunsmithing and one of his HCA carbon barrels
3. HCA DBM
4. AG Composites stock

However it may be enjoy the onslaught of information overload and choose wisely then enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Reactions: YoungBuck94
Wow, tons of info on this site and others.

Speaking for myself, unless you plan to reload the 6.5CM makes more sense due to available offerings from various ammo manufacturers.

Barrels, pick any one from the slew of the established barrelsmiths and be happy!

Gunsmiths, same as above.

McMillan vs Manners = Ford vs Chevy et cetera.

That all being said, my personal biases are the following:

1. 6.5CM
2. Mike @ Hells Canyon Armory for gunsmithing and one of his HCA carbon barrels
3. HCA DBM
4. AG Composites stock

However it may be enjoy the onslaught of information overload and choose wisely then enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Fortunately for myself, I reload almost everything I shoot. Only real exceptions being 9mm and 223, as its just not worth my time. So part of the reason I decided on the 6.5x55 is IMO its an equal to the CM if you reload. I don't have anything against the creedmoor, I guess I just want to do something different.

So part of the reason I decided on the 6.5x55 is IMO its an equal to the CM if you reload. I don't have anything against the creedmoor, I guess I just want to do something different.

Why go to trouble to build Odd, but equal to 6.5CM? 6.5 x 55 has an oddball .480 rim diameter so might have to open Tika bolt a little.

Better to go odd & improved via 6.5 x .284 Norma. It has .473 rim with a better case design & operates @58,000psi vs 51K for the Swiss.

BTW- I'm putting a T3 together in 25 Creedmoor to do something different ;)

You do realize that they import the 6.5x55 tikkas right? They are in the Forest or Hunter family. Blued wood stocked lite profile barrel.
I'm aware. Unfortunately they dont offer any of the varmints, CTR's, or any of the tacticals. Basically nothing with a heavy profile barrel which is what I'm looking for.

I'm aware. Unfortunately they dont offer any of the varmints, CTR's, or any of the tacticals. Basically nothing with a heavy profile barrel which is what I'm looking for.
Sounds like a cool build. Lapua offers brass at a reasonable price, so that’s a plus. Barrel wise you have many great companies to deal with. Tons of great stock options out there. Screw the nawsayers and build it.

The factory Tikka offering in 6.5x55 uses the same action as the other offerings so you should be fine there.

But, if you're running short action mags in a chassis or aftermarket stock, it may limit your OAL as the 6.5x55 is a longer cartridge.

Why go to trouble to build Odd, but equal to 6.5CM? 6.5 x 55 has an oddball .480 rim diameter so might have to open Tika bolt a little.

Better to go odd & improved via 6.5 x .284 Norma. It has .473 rim with a better case design & operates @58,000psi vs 51K for the Swiss.

BTW- I'm putting a T3 together in 25 Creedmoor to do something different ;)
I've got a Tikka in 30-06, and I took a 6.5x55 round and it fits just fine on the bolt, so I dont think I'd have to open it up at all. Ive read that the 6.5-284 is also quite the barrel burner? Can anyone confirm or is that just an unfounded rumor?

The factory Tikka offering in 6.5x55 uses the same action as the other offerings so you should be fine there.

But, if you're running short action mags in a chassis or aftermarket stock, it may limit your OAL as the 6.5x55 is a longer cartridge.
That's been one of my considerations. I know CDI made a long action bottom metal, unfortunately it sounds like the owner passed away last year... I think MDT(?) Makes a long action AICS style magazine, and I came across that red snake company who makes long action metal so I may give them a shot.

I say do it, my brother just had a custom Swede built and he loves it. Screw on a med palma or heavier cut rifled barrel and start ringing steel. Tikka actions are great to build on, I'm currently putting together a lightweight hunting rifle with one.

Reasons not to:
If you absolutely want to have a short action, the x55 is out.
If you absolutely want to load the mag with more than 5 rounds, the conical shape of the cartridge makes things a bit tricky.

Reasons to:
Everything else.

Tikka have been using the same bolt face diameter for 308, 30-06 and 6.5x55 for the last half century.

The throat of the 6.5x55 (CIP & SAAMI) is long. Which means that you could load them long and with greater case capacity than the CM.

If you feel the need for even more oddnes, the 6.5x55AI might be even more to your liking. The CM will not be able to keep up.

Get a 8:1 twist barrel and it will make it way past 1k with 140 gr VLD bullets

Last edited:
if your going that rout with a tika why not go 7mm saum then you can do the 1k thing and if you find room to go further you could plenty of video's of a tika in 7 saum hitting targets out at 3k just a suggestion .

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
Reasons not to:
If you absolutely want to load the mag with more than 5 rounds, the conical shape of the cartridge makes things a bit tricky.

Reasons to:
Everything else.

Tikka have been using the same bolt face diameter for 308, 30-06 and 6.5x55 for the last half century.

The throat of the 6.5x55 (CIP & SAAMI) is long. Which means that you could load them long and with greater case capacity than the CM.

If you feel the need for even more oddnes, the 6.5x55AI might be even more to your liking. The CM will not be able to keep up.

Yeah I'd only do it if I could go long action. I wouldn't care if I had more than 5 rounds or not, but the tapered case causing an issue hadn't even occurred to me. The MDT LA magazine's have a max case length of 3.470" so I'd be able to load them much longer than I'd want to. I have been considering the AI, but I'd need to look into it more. Looks like it'd compete with the 6.5x284 pretty closely?

Hey, so I've got an idea and looking for everyone's input on it... I've always had a fascination with the 6.5x55 round, and now that the Creedmoor is out, it makes me want one more. What I'd like to do is take a Tikka, and rebarrel it for the 6.5 Swede with either a Bartlein or maybe a Krieger barrel, throw a DBM on it and put it in a McMillan stock. It would just be a range and match gun, ideally out to 1000 yards but the furthest I currently have access to is just shy of 800. As I understand it, all T3's have the same action length, only difference being the bolt stop and magazines. I'm thinking I'd have to go with the RedSnake Tactical DBM since it seems to be the only one that has a long action variant. I think I'd go with a 26" barrel (probably 1:8 twist, I haven't figured out which contour I'd be looking at yet.) I'm thinking about a McMillan A5, but really don't have any experience with the high dollar stocks or chassis so I'm open to suggestions. Partially here, I think one of my goals is just to be different, I accomplish that all the time anyways, so why change?

This would be my first rifle I've had built so any and all input, I.E. Barrel manufacturers, gunsmiths, McMillan vs Manners, anything would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
I say go for it. I’m thinking of doing almost the identical build with a rem varmint bartlein probably with a different stock and probably the Red Snake bottom metal. It will anything the cm will do but with lower pressures the way I understand it...I think the pressure for the modern Swede is 55,000.....

I say go for it. I’m thinking of doing almost the identical build with a rem varmint bartlein probably with a different stock and probably the Red Snake bottom metal. It will anything the cm will do but with lower pressures the way I understand it...I think the pressure for the modern Swede is 55,000.....
Do it and let me know how you like the Red Snake metal! Im partially waiting on my raise at work... I've already got the position and been in it for about 18 months, right now they're just cheating me out of 3 and a half an hour...

Do it and let me know how you like the Red Snake metal! Im partially waiting on my raise at work... I've already got the position and been in it for about 18 months, right now they're just cheating me out of 3 and a half an hour...
Well see how fast I do it . I have the action and the barrel. For a while now just haven’t committed to it yet .

The tapered case and associated magazine problems is what causes people here in Sweden to abandon it in favour of SA cartridges. That and the plethora of SA chassi systems where there are a lot fewer for a LA.

Looking at reloading data from Vihtavuori.com and the modern 6,5x55 SE you will se a max pressure of 380 MPa (55100 PSI).

Going AI will help with magazine issues, but it's not much more powerful than the original. Especially compared with the 6,5x284.

The AI will give you somewhat more case capacity and good enough performance (about 12-14% velocity increase with a 140 grain bullet) It will also not burn your barrel out fast as the 6,5x284.

A warning, the following data is not to be trusted: The AI will possibly also raise the safe loading preassure to 60000 PSI. Do not try this out for yourself without proper know how and sufficient precautions. Loading until heavy bolt lift is not any of the above.

The 6,5x284 will also reduce magazine capacity being a rebated rim cartridge, the AI will not.

If you want a standard Tikka, this is what you are looking for:

The tapered case and associated magazine problems is what causes people here in Sweden to abandon it in favour of SA cartridges. That and the plethora of SA chassi systems where there are a lot fewer for a LA.

Looking at reloading data from Vihtavuori.com and the modern 6,5x55 SE you will se a max pressure of 380 MPa (55100 PSI).

Going AI will help with magazine issues, but it's not much more powerful than the original. Especially compared with the 6,5x284.

The AI will give you somewhat more case capacity and good enough performance (about 12-14% velocity increase with a 140 grain bullet) It will also not burn your barrel out fast as the 6,5x284.

A warning, the following data is not to be trusted: The AI will possibly also raise the safe loading preassure to 60000 PSI. Do not try this out for yourself without proper know how and sufficient precautions. Loading until heavy bolt lift is not any of the above.

The 6,5x284 will also reduce magazine capacity being a rebated rim cartridge, the AI will not.

If you want a standard Tikka, this is what you are looking for:
Not available here. Beretta won't import any that start with the tf model numbers. We can't get lefty stainless ctr's here even though they show them on the US choose Tikka site.

To compare what's available check this out. Ignore any that start with anything other than jrt.

Not available here. Beretta won't import any that start with the tf model numbers. We can't get lefty stainless ctr's here even though they show them on the US choose Tikka site.

To compare what's available check this out. Ignore any that start with anything other than jrt.
Oh, the common view over here is that Tikka mainly caters to the US market. Amongst other things the 5/8-24 muzzle thread on various models points to this.

If you don't, who gets the SS lefty models? We don't... Let's blame the Italians. 😉

Please ignore my last recommendation. Buy any model in 30-06. Rebarrel it with a 1:8 quality 26"+ barrel. Chamber it in 6,5x55 (or AI). Season with a bottom metal of your choice (stock will do).
Go shoot!

Oh, the common view over here is that Tikka mainly caters to the US market. Amongst other things the 5/8-24 muzzle thread on various models points to this.

If you don't, who gets the SS lefty models? We don't... Let's blame the Italians. 😉

Please ignore my last recommendation. Buy any model in 30-06. Rebarrel it with a 1:8 quality 26"+ barrel. Chamber it in 6,5x55 (or AI). Season with a bottom metal of your choice (stock will do).
Go shoot!
Maybe the Canadians or Aussies. Idk.

Another question; Does anyone have any experience with the Red Snake, Tikka Performance, or Atlasworxs bottom metals? Seems to be the only 3 long action DBMs available..

if you can't be with the gun you love honey , love the gun your with :giggle: .

Reasons not to:

Reasons to:
Everything else.

You have me thinking...... Any ideas on the 6.5x55AI, vs GWI, vs BJAI, vs the freaking addiction? Had no idea that such an unpopular cartridge had so many spin offs. None of which seem to have too much in the way of information on them. Frankly I've never dived deep enough into the precision rifle game to understand how case geometry affects case life, accuracy, barrel/throat life etc.

There was a thread on them. Note it did start 3 years ago. Probably a good idea to read it all before starting to ask questions. Some were probably answered somewhere in its 5 pages.

Reactions: CerebralDistortion
You have me thinking...... Any ideas on the 6.5x55AI, vs GWI, vs BJAI, vs the freaking addiction? Had no idea that such an unpopular cartridge had so many spin offs. None of which seem to have too much in the way of information on them. Frankly I've never dived deep enough into the precision rifle game to understand how case geometry affects case life, accuracy, barrel/throat life etc.
In short:
Addiction - Short action

GWI - Even more capacity than AI (insignificant) IIRC 6.5x55 base cartridge, but shoulder moved forward. Needs a fake shoulder and fire forming.

AI/BJAI - Ackley never did the 6,5x55. Bob Jourdan (sp?) did. Allmost straight walled, with a 40° shoulder and you can use a factory loaded 6.5x55. This is IMHO the one you should use.

Tikka sells a 6,5x55 with 1:8 varmint barrel here (in Sweden). Comes in either 20" threaded or 24" non-threaded. Just called the t3x Varmint. Ask your local dealer about that and you might not want to buy a different barrel for it at all and save some money.

Tikka sells a 6,5x55 with 1:8 varmint barrel here (in Sweden). Comes in either 20" threaded or 24" non-threaded. Just called the t3x Varmint. Ask your local dealer about that and you might not want to buy a different barrel for it at all and save some money.
US varmints are only 22-250,223,and 6.5 creed.

US swedes are only hunter, forest, hunter fluted stainless, and sporter.

Mountain Tactical /Tikka Performance, and AtlasWorx I believe both make long action DBM bottom metal. Pay attention to their descriptions, I think Mountain Tactical was the only long action one that drops into a factroy inlet and the others required a special inlet? That could be wrong but it was a factor for one of the DBM's I was looking at.

In short:
Addiction - Short action

GWI - Even more capacity than AI (insignificant) IIRC 6.5x55 base cartridge, but shoulder moved forward. Needs a fake shoulder and fire forming.

AI/BJAI - Ackley never did the 6,5x55. Bob Jourdan (sp?) did. Allmost straight walled, with a 40° shoulder and you can use a factory loaded 6.5x55. This is IMHO the one you should use.
Alright, I didnt realize that the AI and BJAI were synonymous, though I thought I had run across something that said Ackley never did one, so I wasnt sure what to believe. Thank you! I'll have to read through the sweedemore page once I get home.

Mountain Tactical /Tikka Performance, and AtlasWorx I believe both make long action DBM bottom metal. Pay attention to their descriptions, I think Mountain Tactical was the only long action one that drops into a factroy inlet and the others required a special inlet? That could be wrong but it was a factor for one of the DBM's I was looking at.
I looked at both of those. I'm thinking I'd go with the red snake tactical as that's also long action, and I simply like the wider mag release better. Looks easier to hit with either the trigger or support hand.

if your going that rout with a tika why not go 7mm saum then you can do the 1k thing and if you find room to go further you could plenty of video's of a tika in 7 saum hitting targets out at 3k just a suggestion .

AGREE!!!!!!
6.5 are hard to spot misses at longer distances,, 7 saum is the way to go if you reload way more potential

Alright, I didnt realize that the AI and BJAI were synonymous, though I thought I had run across something that said Ackley never did one, so I wasnt sure what to believe. Thank you! I'll have to read through the sweedemore page once I get home.
Ackley never did. If you start looking for info about the 6.5x55AI you'll come across Bob Jourdans account on how and why.