• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

slewdog_hunts

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2023
Canada
www.instagram.com
I have been shooting a Tikka T3X Roughtech chambered in 300WM and housed in an MDT LSS-XL chassis for a of couple seasons. I have used it on deer (overkill!) and moose. I love the accuracy in the chassis however it is 14lbs with scope. This lead me to the thought of trying the MDT HNT26 chassis. The HNT26 is quite pricey so I'd like to use it with multiple calibers which leads me to my ultimate goal; building a switch barrel Tikka in 6.5mm & 7mm PRC (and the original 300WM barrel).

My current plan is to spin on a prefit Proof CF Sendaro 24" 1:8T 7mm barrel (already ordered) and use that in my current MDT chassis with a 300WM 3.56" AICS MDT mag. I don't foresee any issues here as the bolt face is the same diameter and the case sizing is similar. Next will be to purchase a Proof CF Sendaro 22" 1:7.5T 6.5mm barrel (in stock) and try that out with my current mag and chassis. What I am concerned about is potential mag feeding issues when I spin on a 6.5mm barrel and try to use the same magazine. I intend to install a LRI Mag filler block for SA mag cartridges in the aforementioned MDT mag. This should prevent the round from getting stuck under the feed ramp of the action. I may have to modify the length and angle of the feed lips as well.

If all goes well with both barrels, I will buy the HNT 26 chassis.

Questions to the community are the following:
1. What are your thoughts on this overall build?
2. Does anybody foresee any show stoppers that I have overlooked?

This is my first forum post. Thank you for your thoughts!

MDT.jpg

Do it. You will probably get tired of the switching part of the switchbarrel. But many have and do do it successfully. At best your going to have good feeding out of the same mag, at worst your going to need separate magazines for each cartridge.

Do it. You will probably get tired of the switching part of the switchbarrel. But many have and do do it successfully. At best your going to have good feeding out of the same mag, at worst your going to need separate magazines for each cartridge.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I agree the switching portion may get monotonous however it prevents me from explaining new gun purchases to my wife! Gun “parts” are easier to slip past the gate keeper. ;P

I have a Tikka in a Manners stock that started life as a 300WM. I ended up buying a standard bolt face , some magazines, and some factory barrels. Now i can set it up for 6.5 creed, 6.5 PRC, 308, 300 WSM, and 300WM. It's not too bad to change the barrels and cheaper than buying whole new rifles.

I’ve done this very thing other than I used XLR Element vs the HNT. The 6.5 prc feeds fine out of the 3.56” mdt mag. I’ll add that after spending time with the 7 prc the 6.5 seems kind of pointless.

Attachments

• IMG_4165.jpeg
    IMG_4165.jpeg
    757.7 KB · Views: 116
I have a Tikka in a Manners stock that started life as a 300WM. I ended up buying a standard bolt face , some magazines, and some factory barrels. Now i can set it up for 6.5 creed, 6.5 PRC, 308, 300 WSM, and 300WM. It's not too bad to change the barrels and cheaper than buying whole new rifles.
That sounds like an interesting build! Well done and thanks for sharing.

I’ve done this very thing other than I used XLR Element vs the HNT. The 6.5 prc feeds fine out of the 3.56” mdt mag. I’ll add that after spending time with the 7 prc the 6.5 seems kind of pointless.
That’s the exact information I wanted to know before pulling the trigger on a 6.5 barrel; thank you!
Is there much of a recoil difference between the two? It would be nice using the 6.5 for the range and load development and save the other 7 barrel for hunting (once load development is dialled).

Reactions: Hondo1
That’s the exact information I wanted to know before pulling the trigger on a 6.5 barrel; thank you!
Is there much of a recoil difference between the two? It would be nice using the 6.5 for the range and load development and save the other 7 barrel for hunting (once load development is dialled).
Recoil deference is substantial

Reactions: slewdog_hunts
I've got a 223 t3x in a PSE ETAC stock that I had a .473 bolt body made for. The ETAC is super light so if you want to drop some weight it's worth checking out.

I installed the ejector and extractor pn the 308 bolt so all I have to do is swap firing pin assembly from the 223 bolt. It's at the gunsmith right now getting an 18 inch varmint contour bartlein in 308. It ought to weigh about 9.5lbs with optic, loaded 3 rd aics mag and sling.

The smith is also taking measurements of my receiver so he can make me prefits (I'm in Canada so it's not guns galore like the US). I have plans for a 6br next...

Switch barrel makes a lot of sense for those who only want 1 rifle and to really get good with it.

Last edited:
I've got a 223 t3x in a PSE ETAC stock that I had a .473 bolt body made for. The ETAC is super light so if you want to drop some weight it's worth checking out.

I installed the ejector and extractor pn the 308 bolt so all I have to do is swap firing pin assembly from the 223 bolt. It's at the gunsmith right now getting an 18 inch varmint contour bartlein in 308. It ought to weigh about 9.5lbs with optic, loaded 3 rd aics mag and sling.

The smith is also taking measurements of my receiver so he can make me prefits (I'm in Canada so it's not guns galore like the US). I have plans for a 6br next...

Switch barrel makes a lot of sense for those who only want 1 rifle and to really get good with it.
I agree, I'd rather have one setup that I am very comfortable with and have the ability to swap calibers. Obviously differing recoils will affect how well I shoot each one but the chassis fit and trigger pull will remain.
I'm also in Canada and share your frustrations trying to purchase certain items! At least MDT is Canadian. I still can't believe you need an export license for rifle barrels.

Reactions: noremorse92
I think your switch barrel idea would be just fine functionally, but 6.5 PRC, 7 PRC, and 300 WM just has a lot of overlap in terms of capability. I'd probably just do the 6.5 and 300...though I'd probably go with a 8 twist 300 PRC barrel once that 300 WM barrel was shot out.

That said, variety is the spice of life and I can totally understand having a 7 PRC just to have one. I'm seriously considering one myself even though I certainly don't need it for anything. :ROFLMAO:

I agree, I'd rather have one setup that I am very comfortable with and have the ability to swap calibers. Obviously differing recoils will affect how well I shoot each one but the chassis fit and trigger pull will remain.
I'm also in Canada and share your frustrations trying to purchase certain items! At least MDT is Canadian. I still can't believe you need an export license for rifle barrels.
If you are looking for top quality blanks
Hirsch precision has krieger and bartlein in stock right now. Rdsc as well.

The real issue is finding a gunsmith locally. I sent mine out to a guy in Alberta. Hopefully it doesn't take forever..

MDT chassis' are quality but I don't care for their aesthetic qualities. However, I generally am not a fan of chassis rifles.

Thanks for all of the excellent input folks. I was able to spin on a 7PRC barrel and complete the Proof recommended barrel break in (regardless of if it‘s required or not) just prior to the local rifle season opener. It was instantly printing sub 0.5 MOA groups and I was confident enough to take it in the field. The 21st round down the barrel went through the boiler room of a small buck last week and I couldn’t be happier with the out of box accuracy. I have the 6.5 PRC barrel now too and can’t wait to give it a shot. If I get some time, I may try to make a short YouTube video about the simple build.
Here’s a picture of the setup:
421A0701.jpeg

Are you disassembling the rifle to swap barrels?

Chassis off, scope off, barrel swap, scope mount, chassis mount; good to go.

POI needs a check, but so far, each time has been fully acceptable for hunting standards. The whole process takes about 10 mins.

So more of a rebuild than a true switch barrel. I have a Tikka I swap barrels on. I just screw the barrel on the assembled rifle and torque it with a strap wrench. Same in reverse.

So more of a rebuild than a true switch barrel. I have a Tikka I swap barrels on. I just screw the barrel on the assembled rifle and torque it with a strap wrench. Same in reverse.
What kind of strap wrench are you running?

@krumfola I ended up snagging a carbon MDT HNT26 with the folding stock and arca for-end during the Black Friday sale. I’m still waiting for it to ship but am really looking forward to it! I also purchased one of the recoil pads Jim from Backfire started producing. If only I could find magnum large rifle primers in Ontario…..

Reactions: krumfola