• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3X TAC A1

I am selling the remainder of the 20 MOA rails I have left. $240 shipped to lower 48. Send me a PM if interested.
Note: these will only fit the TAC A1 model.
I bought one of these off Tikka Tinker and I'm happy with it. I only stripped one screw getting the stock rail off, and his replacement dropped right in perfectly. He even included a spare screw, which is great because I have a habit of losing small stuff in my workshop. It sits a tiny bit higher than the stock rail, but gave my Vortex PST Gen II enough clearance on Steiner extra high rings that my scope caps fit with just under 1/8" of space to spare.

Overall there are cheaper options for the T3X line, but I haven't seen anything made for the Tac A1 specifically. If you're like me and not a fan of how one piece mounts look on bolt guns, this is pretty much your only option for the Tac A1. I'm very happy with it.

Reactions: Tikka Tinker
I have two tac a1 rifles. One in 308 and the other is a 260. I have nothing but great things to say about both of them. With factory fed gmm ammo they will shoot half moa and with my handloads they are grouping around.25 moa. I am probably a. 25 moa shooter so they might shoot even better then that. Bolt cycles super smooth and the mags work perfect. My only complaint would be the zero moa rail. I purchased a aftermarket 20moa rail but it wouldn't match up to the handrail or forearm so I send it back. I purchased a 20 moa supr mount for both. You won't regret getting one of these rifles.

Reactions: Winkmeister
One thing I forgot about was the barrel is a sum bitch to remove.(maybe I'm just weak) but I had to thread the barrel for my cans which are all tacops and they like using the 9/16 pattern.

Jon @ Area 419 just announced / released their new rail for the Tikka T3x models and I let him know that there was a need for a TAC A1 specific rail. If someone was so inclined to contact him with some photos and measements, there could be a new source for inclined rails for these rifles.

I am selling the remainder of the 20 MOA rails I have left. $240 shipped to lower 48. Send me a PM if interested.
Note: these will only fit the TAC A1 model.
Bump.....
If anyone is looking for a 20 MOA rail for the TAC A1 specifically, I am selling them.

Has anyone put anything over cheek riser on their TAC A1 - for padding or something?
Similar to a McRees rear stock pack?

I snagged a Left Hand TAC A1 in 6.5CM today from GB, wondering how comfortable the cheek piece is or if anyone had done anything in that area.

Thanks!

I have found no need so far. Yeah, its plastic, but it is curved enough so it is comfortable enough for my cheek shooting as long as I have ammo on any particular day. My opinion may change if I ever take it out in freezing weather though.... I live in Socal so that may never be a problem.

Has anyone put anything over cheek riser on their TAC A1 - for padding or something?

I snagged a Left Hand TAC A1 in 6.5CM today from GB, wondering how comfortable the cheek piece is or if anyone had done anything in that area.
It's not uncomfortable. But I was bored so I cut a piece of adhesive-backed suede to fit mine, and it's even better now.

Thanks!
I use a maxi-pad. They make shooting so comfortable. I prefer Always with wings as it provides just a little extra protection but I suppose any brand will do as long as they are for heavy flow for the added cushion.

Last edited:
For you 6.5 Creedmoor Tikka T3 Tac A1 handloaders out there, how long is your COAL? I find that 2.950 OAL puts my Hornady 147g bullets .015 off the lands. This puts the bullet base right at the bottom of the neck. I feel this is a bit too long for a brand new barrel with no chamber wear. This is well beyond magazine and SAMMI specs, plus there is zero room to lengthen the COAL to jam the lands. As the throat wears, I have no room to lengthen the COAL either. I am new to 6.5 Creedmore and Tikka. Thoughts?

FWIW - I just received my LH A1 6.5CM two days ago. I measured two boxes of 140gr ELD-Ms and the vast majority are 1.372" long (none are over 1.373', some as short as 1.3715"). Which is different than the measurement Litz and Hornady (emailed) state - 1.374. I know the ballistic tip-length is a known variable and the key is the bullet ogive.

I tried the cleaning rod procedure to ascertain COAL touching landes and got 2.84". So for my first loads I'm going to with .020" jump.

OMG, that was one dirty barrel. I used Kroil, #9, and Hoppe's copper cleaner to make sure barrel was clean for first firing.

Followup - found one 1.374" bullet, so I'm using that as a baseline to load CBTO 2.280", with .20" jump and 2.895" COAL.

Last edited:
I shoot a 260 with a 140 eldx bullet. I load it so that it barely fits in the magazine. It shoots 1/3 inch groups all day long. I have hit one mile with it once. 1000 yards gets a little boring. These things shoot. Load it to the spec's that it should be loaded and shoot it.

I shoot a 260 with a 140 eldx bullet. I load it so that it barely fits in the magazine. It shoots 1/3 inch groups all day long. I have hit one mile with it once. 1000 yards gets a little boring. These things shoot. Load it to the spec's that it should be loaded and shoot it.

Did you mean 140 ELD-M or 143 ELD-X?

Whats your load?

has anyone replaced the grip on the Tac A1 yet? what did you replace it with?..

I bought the Ergo Deluxe flat for mine. Great ergonomics with the larger palm swell.

I don't believe it is a standard AR thread though, i had to use a different screw for the grip, i think M6 is the thread pattern.

I just bought a Tikka T3x TAC A1 LH from EuroOptic and would like to get a trigger shoe for it. All my rifles have trigger shoes and I've been using them for 30 years. After some research, Diversified Innovative Products make a trigger shoe for the SakoQuad blade that also fits the T3. Will it also fit the blade of my rifle? In other words, are the blades the same for the SakoQuad, T3 and my rifle? Any help will be appreciated.

I had emailed them but they hadn't responded when I wrote to this thread. They have responded and said that their trigger shoe would fit my T3x. Same blade as the SakoQuad and T3.

Does anyone have instructions or suggestions for removing the scope rail? I have the screws out but rail is still solidly attached.

Does anyone have instructions or suggestions for removing the scope rail? I have the screws out but rail is still solidly attached.

Covered at length here. Heat is the key..
Use a heat gun or even a clothes iron to heat the adhesive To soften it up, then the rail can be removed pretty easily.
Go easy so you don’t tweak the rail for use later.

I was wondering where you were able to find a rail. I've been looking for a 20 moa rail.

I was wondering where you were able to find a rail. I've been looking for a 20 moa rail.
I ordered from MountainTactical. I told them to call me if it wasn't going to work for a Tac A1 as they weren't open when I placed the order.

Reactions: clcustom1911
You mean area 419? The tac a1 rail is taller than most and also has a threaded hole on the front. Kind of a specific item. I checked with area 419 they don't have them.

Thanks for correcting me. I also neglected to add some important details to my last post. I am attempting to move from a Tac A1 to a GRS Bifrost. I have a T3 bottom metal incoming that I have been told will fit the GRS T3 inlet. Now I am attempting to lower the height of my Tac A1 scope rail as I no longer have the Tac handguard to clear. Thus the thoughts of using either threArea 419 or EGW.

I would run an area 419 then if you’re switching from the tac a1 chassis. They make some quality products.

I know this thread is older, but I am hoping its not dead. I just got my Tac A1. Can anyone tell me if I can buy aftermarket magazines for it. I couldn’t find any information online about it. Thanks.

I had a guy tell me the EGW was on the cheap end and that I should look at an Area 51. Does anyone have any experience with either and how much lower are they compared to the stock Tac rail?
Did the "guy" have any actual experience with EGW parts? For some reason, I doubt he has. Area 419 has a standard T3x rail, and it is of excellent quality. To my knowledge only EGW has a TacA1 specific 20MOA rail.

EGW never has been "on the cheap end". Over the course of the last 10 years, I've used many of their 1911 parts, and now Tikka standard T3x 20MOA rail and scope rings. Everything is, and has always been, absolutely top tier quality. I do plan on getting the TacA1 rail when it is back in stock and have absolutely no doubt it will be excellent in fit, finish, and craftsmanship.

EGW's TacA1 rail has the two recoil pins and here's a good video made by the owner of EGW on how it goes together on the rifle.

Last edited:
Did the "guy" have any actual experience with EGW parts? For some reason, I doubt he has. Area 419 has a standard T3x rail, and it is of excellent quality. To my knowledge only EGW has a TacA1 specific 20MOA rail.

EGW never has been "on the cheap end". Over the course of the last 10 years, I've used many of their 1911 parts, and now Tikka standard T3x 20MOA rail and scope rings. Everything is, and has always been, absolutely top tier quality. I do plan on getting the TacA1 rail when it is back in stock and have absolutely no doubt it will be excellent in fit, finish, and craftsmanship.

EGW's TacA1 rail has the two recoil pins and here's a good video made by the owner of EGW on how it goes together on the rifle.

Well that is certainly the type of personal experience I was looking for. I am sure Area 419 produces good products but glad to hear that if I come across an EGW, that it would be worthy purchasing.

My Tac A1.... 203 yards today.....
Screenshot_20200115-125449.jpg
Screenshot_20200115-125849.jpg
20200115_133654.jpg

Got my seating depth testing loaded up...

20200115_174728.jpg

Ran a Tac A1 for about a year. They are great guns especially for the money. Shot most everything I put in it 0.5 or better. Only downsides:

Mags can be finicky when run dirty, hard and fast...at least the three I had were, keep em clean and you should be good.

Barrels are slow and the throat is long, shoot it out then rebarrel it and use bullets that are jump tolerant and you’ll be fine.

Please don’t take the downsides as trying to dissuade you, just sharing experience. It is a great gun and I wish I had another one.

FYI - there are a couple of mag fixes on YouTube about bending the spring very subtly in certain directions to improve feeding. They flat out work. I was running into issues with feeding where cartridges where feeding nose up and the bolt would pass right over them on cycling. At that time I had put about 2,000 rounds through the rifle but none the less it was annoying at matches. I took apart the mags and bent the springs as the tutorials instructed and haven't had a feeding issue since.

And I totally agree. Someone suggested EGW To me years ago and told me they were about 15 minutes from where I live (the factory and headquarters) I assumed that meant they sucked. Upon doing my own research I found it to be the complete opposite and I was lucky to have them in my backyard.
I have been a satisfied EGW customer for 25 years.

Hi. Just wondering about mag sizes on these. I have several CTR mags for my 6.5 CM Tikkas. Thinking of getting a 223 caliber barelled action to drop into my Tac AC1. Would that need different magazine? Or will it feed from the same CTR magazine? Thanks

Thanks!

I'm curious about this too, if anyone ever found a solution? In my case, I want to add about 1/2" to the height of the factory riser for best scope/eye alignment. I tried some 1/2" adhesive foam, but it made the cheek riser too wide (and subsequently was a major PITA to remove all the residue...) I'd love to find something like the Wiebad Mini Stock Pad for the TAC A1.

I'm curious about this too, if anyone ever found a solution? In my case, I want to add about 1/2" to the height of the factory riser for best scope/eye alignment. I tried some 1/2" adhesive foam, but it made the cheek riser too wide (and subsequently was a major PITA to remove all the residue...) I'd love to find something like the Wiebad Mini Stock Pad for the TAC A1.

I’m in the same boat (I’m a lefty as well, too). I picked up a set of Hoptic saddle blankets (they come in two packs) and stacked them on mine. (https://www.hopticusa.com/product-page/tikka-t3x-tac-a1-saddle-blanket)

Unfortunately they started to peel up almost immediately, so I rubber banded them down for a few days and that appears to have done the trick. I can’t speak to the long term durability as I’m sure a few days out in the heat or cold will probably work them loose eventually, but it’s working for now. Even stacking both, it’s still not quite enough height and yet also pushes my cheek weld outboard a little too much, though. So, I may work on drafting up something I can 3D print and stick on top of the cheek piece that will hold up more permanently. I’ll share here if I can work something out.

Does anyone make a spacer that fits in where the QD bracket goes on the chassis above the grip? I removed the QD mount, its pointless and in the way. It would be nice if someone made a spacer to fit in that empty hole.

I don't know what kind of loctite that Tikka uses on those 5mm bolts (Blue) but holy shit. Took the heat wrench and ALOT of force to break them lo0se.