• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka Tac 1 vs Sako TRG22

NY700

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Dallas
So years ago I had a TRG42. Loved it but had to sell it.

I’m now looking at either a Tikka Tac1 or a TRG22

Mostly local competitions. I am also planning to shoot mammoth next year 2020

Is there a reason to stick with the Sako vs Tikka. Obviously I’m looking at $1k difference. Mags are the same. The tikka comes with a brake, and either way I go I’m set for bipod.

The tikka is listed as a pound heavier but that is likely just the weight of the brake as it’s standard on the tikka.

I tend to shoot in extreme temps. Both really hot (texas summers). And cold (Michigan winters) and for that reason the skins on the Sako appeal to me.

I love the Sako trigger but the new tikka lists as having a 2 stage trigger vs the regular tikkas.

Thoughts?

I have a Tikka T3X Tac A1 but do not have any experience behind a Sako. That being said, I can give you my opinion on the Tikka.

Chassis
It's long, it's heavy but it's actually pretty phenomenal. The buttstock is finger-adjustable for comb height. The LOP requires a tool (allen key IIRC) but comes with shims to adjust as required. It's folding mechanism is very solid. One point of concern is that, when folded, the buttstock can rub on the "receiver" seciton of the chassis, marring the finish. I solved this with a little felt pad meant for cabinet doors. The chassis body itself is robust and allows you to change out grips. However, the stock grip has been fine for me thus far. The mag well is generous and foregiving. Inserting/removing a mag is a breeze compared to my Remington's with AICS dbm bottom metal. The forend is good for what it does. Simple and no frills but solid.

Action
The action is like every other Tikka--smooth and efficient. The bolt lift that comes with the gun stock is large enough for quick manipulations but doesn't get in the way. If you don't like it, companies like Sterk, Anarchy Outdoors, and Glades Armory all sell replacements that are easy to install in a matter of minutes. The bolt shroud is aluminum but unexciting. The 2-stage trigger is actually wonderful. VERY light take up (less than 1lb) and a nice, crisp, clean break sends the round down range with consistency. The break is adjustable and sits around 2 lbs on my rifle. The barrel produces very nice groups (more on that in a second) and is threaded for a suppressor or brake of your choosing. If you live in a shitty ban state (like me...Delaware) the brake that the gun comes with makes shooting a true delight. The thing recoils about the same as my AR's with an A2 birdcage. Not exaggerating. It's insanely effective. Tikka mags are pricey (about the same as AICS) but they perform just fine. I've had no feeding issues.

Accuracy
I've shot both factory and reloads in my gun (a 6.5 CM variant). Using Nosler BT 140 grain ammunition, it prints about 0.8" average. I've shot 4 or 5 five round groups and they were all about the same. I've only done one ladder test thus far (50 rounds, 5 round groups, 10 groups) and have had pretty amazing results. Using IMR 4350 (couldn't find H4350 near me), all groups between 40.0gr (ladder low) and 41.8gr (ladder high, above book max so be safe) all printed sub-MOA. In fact, my best 5-round group (41.8gr) sat at 0.49" at 100 yards and showed no pressure signs. I may experiment above the 41.8gr, but first I want to try the other 4350 variants for comparison. Most groups on the day hoovered around 0.7". I did not take any chrono data so I can't comment on velocities. Now, please keep in mind that I am an absolutely average shooter and didn't scientifically wait for some duration between shots. I just shot the gun and it printed what it printed. I was using a rear ramped bag from Cabelas, an Atlas BT10, and a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56. These groups were shot in 40F, relatively calm weather. YMMV.

Summary / TLDR
I love the gun. It has shown so much potential and prints tight groups right out of the gate. For comparison, I've got 3 Remington 700s (2x .308, 1x .30-06, all LR builds) and a Howa (.308 chassis gun) and this already shoots better than all of them with the little load development I did. I've drank the Tikka KoolAid and I couldn't be happier.

The Tikka is a great gun, as people will tell you. The TRG 22 is a step above it in quality, but the stock is so last century..... I think the fore-end shape is the part that many like the least. Of course, now there's TRG 22 A1, with more modern furniture, and TRG M10 if you have money to burn.

I'm in the opposite boat from ianb1116. I have never owned or shot a Tikka, but I have owned a TRG-22 for several years. Mine was part of a limited run of 200 rifles factory chambered in 260 Rem.

The TRG is one of the easiest rifles to shoot well I have ever owned. The ergonomics are just right. It's relatively light for a tactical rifle at about 10.75 lbs without optics or accessories. The action is silky smooth; so smooth in fact, that it's actually hard to describe. The trigger is fantastic. Certainly one of the best two stage triggers available and fully adjustable.

The accuracy is where it shines the brightest. It is the most consistently accurate rifle I have ever owned and probably where it has the greatest advantage over the Tikka. Most reports I have read on the Tikka put it at about a 3/4 moa rifle. My TRG CONSISTENTLY shot slightly better than 3/8" groups on average. Best groups were in the .1s. Anything over .6 was rare and virtually always shooter error. It was also very easy to load for. With either H4350 or H4831 and any premium bullet in the 140 grain class, it shot bugholes.

Either rifle would probably suit you well.

You mght look at the KRG SOTIC or a Tikka CTR and put it in a KRG Chassis with the new KRG Tikka trigger. Build a cheaper TRG. The Bravo is similar to the TRG chassis.

I have both in 308. Sako is much heavier because of the barrel and stock vs tikka without brake. Trg22 does not come with brake. You need to buy separately just like t3x tac a1. FYI, Sako total cost is more than $1k over t3 tac a1. If you need to carry it around, get tikka. If just bench most of time, Sako.

I have both in 308. Sako is much heavier because of the barrel and stock vs tikka without brake. Trg22 does not come with brake. You need to buy separately just like t3x tac a1. FYI, Sako total cost is more than $1k over t3 tac a1. If you need to carry it around, get tikka. If just bench most of time, Sako.

I’m not sure the carry vs bench is applicable as the tikka tac1 list at 1# heavier than the Sako. The tikka comes with a TRG style brake which is probably the extra pound which would mean the weight is a wash

In my opinion there isn't even a question. The TRG is one of the very finest rifles ever made bar none. I have owned and shot damn near everything out there (except the SOTIC, which I am interested in), I started out years ago with custom rifles off worked 700's then moved on to a TRG22. I wore out a barrel on the TRG and had it rebarreled but sold it to give the AIAW a try. In the time since I have owned 2 AW's, several custom rifles by GAP & APA built on Surgeon 591's in both Manners and McMillan with an assortment of barrels calibers and triggers, with some other high end custom rifles thrown in for good measure like 2 SSG3000 (German models), SSG69PII, DTA SRS, Tikka's, a Savage or two, I am sure I am forgetting some. I went back to an AIAT for a few years with many different barrels. I truly love the AI platform, definitely my 2nd favorite rifle ever made. But now I am back to the TRG22 and can not be happier, IMO the TRG is every bit as good and better in several ways than any listed above.

Basically I am saying get the TRG you will not regret it.

Reactions: Bradu
I owned a TRG42 previously as well. Currently own a Tac A1.

I personally dont observe the step up in quality factor between the two (especially as Tikka metal’d up the parts that would be plastic on a T3 back in the day). With both having two stage trigger and the Tikka having 70deg bolt lift making it close enough to me to compare to the short lift of the 3 lug bolt of the TRG I think the only thing you have to ask yourself is the feel of the TRG stock/chassis system comfortable enough to you or the other smaller differences between the two matter enough to you to spend the extra money.

Is the TRG muzzle threading still the metric or did they start making it imperial? If so factor in any brake or can sharing may be limited to other guns.

Also think the ease or shared use of rail and other attachments using the Mlok system over the TRG chassis would be worth factoring in as well.

Reactions: NY700
I'd check gunbroker for a used TRG I've found them for around $2k several times, with little to no use.

I own a TRG42, I have a Tikka Tac A1. The Tac A1 shoots as well as the TRG period. Can't get better than .25-.33 inch groups if you reload. I mean I guess you can, but no real need. That being said the TRG ergonomics are way better. One thing will be said, I do not like the chassis for competition. It looks great and is great in the field. Not so much when you shooting off or on things. I am buying an MPA stock for comps. They both will shoot.

I have a TRG-22 and used to shoot a Tikka T3 Tactical. I would pick the TRG every day if you have the money.

The Tikka is a great rifle, but too me the TRG is just the better, beefier version. The new T3x solves the older T3 plastic and aluminum components that would need to be changed out, but the bolt stop, specifically the bolt stop pin, is still a week point in the T3 action and is much beefier in a TRG.

Personally, I would look for a used TRG-22. They usually go for great prices used because they aren't the latest and greatest thing. Then toss it in a KRG W3 chassis so you have a better platform for competition and you can use the $75 CTR magazines and not be limited to the super expensive TRG mags.

You can also buy pre-fit TRG barrels from KRG now that use a Savage style barrel nut, so you can change your barrels in your garage.

Just on actions alone, I found all my tikka actions smoother/faster than the trg22. Maybe it's that extra 10 degrees of bolt throw, maybe it's the finish on the trg. Etc.

It's been 5 years or so since I sold my trg but I still buy/build tikkas so that's kinda my answer there. Liked the trgs but feel the tikka does everything cheaper with more options. I probably wouldn't buy a tac a1 but I'd find a donor action and have it barreled in the contour and cartridge I wanted and out it in a krg chassis.

Reactions: Bravo6
Between those two the TRG is the better rifle but you are going to pay for it.

I'd love to have a trg 308 with the longer barrel in green but I don't want to pay 3000 for the rifle + sako bipod. Too rich for my blood atm.

I have both rifles. I have the TRG in .308 and the T3x-TacA1 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I do love them both! My observation is that the TRG is a bit more consistently accurate (as mentioned above). I am not generally hand-loading for ultimate accuracy, but most often rely on match quality box ammo. The Tikka loves the nosler 140gr match ammo and shoots consistent 3/4 (or better) moa 5 shot groups. The TRG will generally hold 1/5 moa. Both are definitely "accurate" and reliable for most people/applications.

The TRG is a bit harder to outfit. Metric threads, bipod mounts, various 3rd party chassis, etc. I have gotten a bit used to the TRG safety vs the Tikka location, but that is just some training. The TRG chassis is long in the tooth! Some say "old" some say "battle proven" :)
The Tikka chassis is well thought out and is easier to adjust than the Sako. After proper adjustments, the TRG feels more comfortable to me. Like another poster, the TRG forend is blocky compared to more recent chassis designs. So that may matter depending on your positional shooting needs.

The Tikka action is not quite as robust IMO, but still very well built. Also, the new 2-stage Tikka trigger is a big step above the old Tikka trigger. It is a very good trigger. However, IMO, the TRG is an excellent trigger and feels better to me. Now, in the future I will likely add the KRG Midas2 to my Tikka and see how that feels.

Recently I did consider the new TRG22-A1. Instead, on Tuesday, I pulled the trigger on a KRG SOTIC. It was what I love about the TRG with barrel and chassis enhancements while made in the USA. I will post a review once I get it. As of today however, it is Out of Stock and now a $5k rifle! That intro pricing was awesome. I was a bit hesitant based on the lack of field reliability results for the action, but it is close to the TRG design. Time will tell...

I think you will love either the TRG or the Tikka, and these are just my thoughts owning both.
Good Luck!

I owned a TRG-21, TRG-22 and currently have a TRG M10.
I’d recommend to take a TRG-22 with no doubt due to one of the best trigger assemblies and overall reliability.

I have owned a TRG-42 and multiple Tikka T3s. I have had a T3 Varmint in 30-06 (in Australia), and it shot house of fire. .33 5 shot groups. Rebarreled to 6.5x57 and it still shot. Put a Manners stock on it, and it was a winner. I was competing in F-Open against shooters with custom Barnard guns and running with them.

My TRG-42 was ok, it was half inch accurate, the trigger was ok. But it wasn't as nice as the Bix-N-Andy replacement for the Tikka.

I think that anyone can get a TRG that is a slug and a T3 that is a superstar or vice versa. It is more a matter of how much you want to blow another $1000. I have yet to have a bad Tikka T3 varmint. I have owned a average TRG-42.

It’s the Chevy Ford argument. I would and have paid for the TRG. I currently own two and 4 tikkas. I prefer the trgs

I completely agree. Tikka's are awesome, TRG's are a whole other level of awesome. I've also got 4 Tikka's and two TRG's and with any luck, I'll be adding another TRG to my stable next year.