• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka UPR - thoughts

Anybody tried Berger 153.5 in UPR?
Tikka barrel is a little bit slow, I am getting 2580ish from Hornady 140ELDM but the consistency is very good out to dirstances.

Wonder it would spin the 153.5 fast enough for stability?

The Berger online calculator says it needs at least 3300fps from a 1:8 barrel to reach good stability without compromising BC and stuff.

3300fps really?

50D3397F-7587-480F-A7DE-735E5FFA2CB0.jpeg

Last edited:
I just placed an order for a 20” 308 black barreled action UPR. I am going suppressed and this should fit the bill nicely. Also, I’ll probably keep the stock vs swapping it out.

There seems to be very little fan fare around the Tikka UPR but people that own them give it great reviews.
I’ve never used that stock but I like the factory Tikka stocks. I pick up the factory wider forearm that Tikka puts standard on the varmint models and bolt that on my ctr stocks. I pick up takeoff varmint stocks and drop my Tikka hunting rifles into them. Gives me the wide forearm, more vertical grip, and a cheek riser.

Reactions: General RE LEE
I’ve never used that stock but I like the factory Tikka stocks. I pick up the factory wider forearm that Tikka puts standard on the varmint models and bolt that on my ctr stocks. I pick up takeoff varmint stocks and drop my Tikka hunting rifles into them. Gives me the wide forearm, more vertical grip, and a cheek riser.

I put the vertical grip and wide fore end on all my Tikkas. Also did a cheek riser kit on my son’s rifle

Attachments

• 9E5EF8D2-0190-4C41-97A6-B2AEE3A59E08.jpeg
    9E5EF8D2-0190-4C41-97A6-B2AEE3A59E08.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
probably because they haven't ben easy to get if i had a guess. everyone likes tikka but most discard the stock right away
There's nothing particularly wrong with the usual Tikka stocks - if you want a rifle that is relatively lightweight, and don't need to attach a lot of stuff to it. That is fine for most hunters.

The UPR stock is also lightweight but the ergos are a little more precision oriented. The factory color is just ... a non-color. In another thread, there's an example of a UPR with a touch of paint on the stock. Looks way better. https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/tikka-upr-stock….7156709/#post-10694935

Sexiness might be further improved with an Atlasworks bottom metal, or similar.

If you go with the UPR and 6.5PRC, try it with the chromoly barrel, i had a bad trip with the stainless.
I can give more speed to same bullets on the rifle that i had on a prc with my 21" Krieger 6.5 creedmoor.
I am not sure, was that barrel on that rifle just so bad, or what, but i did tryed everything, just hated that rifle.
Maybe with a better barrel, it would be a rifle that the caliber is ment to be, but that thing did just suck, and badly.
Only shoot it about 350-rds.

Reactions: Michael C
Tikka barrels are notoriously slow. But accurate. I had the stainless and was a big fan.
When I got mine 2021(?), it was pretty hard to track one down. Eventually found one at Eurooptocs.

Reactions: viking78
I’ve been thinking of getting one or the regular T3X then installing an MDT chassie on it. My TAC A1 shoots .3 MOA if I do my part.

Tikka barrels are notoriously slow. But accurate. I had the stainless and was a big fan.
When I got mine 2021(?), it was pretty hard to track one down. Eventually found one at Eurooptocs.
This PRC was like super slow.
I dont think you can shoot 6,5PRC out on 300 rounds?
I did not shoot it hot all the time, when i received mine it was end of the December, snow and freeze in Finland.
I just did not liked that Tikka, i have loved all the other i have had, but was really dissapointed on the 6.5PRC.
Maybe with a custom barrel, it might been better and i heard, that Hodgon powder it need to get, to make the speed that it can deliver.

Probably beating a dead horse here but I am just now getting back into hunting/shooting out to ~500 yards after about 10 years. Do you guys think I would be better off getting a UPR or a t3x in .308 and then putting it in a krg bravo after shooting it for a bit?
Thanks much

Reactions: D_TROS
Probably beating a dead horse here but I am just now getting back into hunting/shooting out to ~500 yards after about 10 years. Do you guys think I would be better off getting a UPR or a t3x in .308 and then putting it in a krg bravo after shooting it for a bit?
Thanks much
I think it's personal preference, but I like the UPR better than the KRG Bravo (also a fantastic stock). The UPR is lighter and I personally prefer the more slender feel in the grip.

Reactions: x0mb13
Thanks much
Depends on whether you're going to rebarrel it in my opinion. If you're sticking with the factory barrel, get a UPR. It's a fantastic stock. If you're going to rebarrel it with a heavier contour, go with the lite and a KRG. Honestly even if you want to use the UPR and open up the barrel inlet, that's not bad either. I did that before I sold mine (which I regret). I went with UPR and I ended up putting mine in a Bravo because I wanted to have it be a dual-purpose hunting/competition rifle. If it's a dedicated hunting rifle, go UPR.

My second bit of advice which is entirely unsolicited is don't get a 308. There are better options out there in .30 cal and others, especially for long distance shooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: x0mb13