• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka UPR - thoughts

2 grit wrapped around a dowel rod

98F35609-1C2D-4EA7-AE9E-854D889AD8F9.jpeg

Finally had one in my hands, and i sold it immediately.
Im working on a gun store, so i have some kind of privilege on some rifles :)
Here´s couple of pictures.
Tikka T3X CTR, UPR and TAC A1 on the table.
Stock on UPR is really nice feeling, not bad from Tikka.
View attachment 7278015

You've sold it because you didn't like it? How does it compare to KRG Bravo? How much did the stock weight and is is an improvement over the factory CTR stock?
Thnx

You've sold it because you didn't like it? How does it compare to KRG Bravo? How much did the stock weight and is is an improvement over the factory CTR stock?
Thnx

I am working on a gun store, i sell these for living :D
I would like to have one of these, but im BA at this moment and i dont need fourth Tikka now.
Really nice stock in the UPR, would be nice on hunting rifle.
You must handle one before you know how it feels, but it is a Tikka that i could keep with factory stock, and that is then quite nice.

I am working on a gun store, i sell these for living :D
I would like to have one of these, but im BA at this moment and i dont need fourth Tikka now.
Really nice stock in the UPR, would be nice on hunting rifle.
You must handle one before you know how it feels, but it is a Tikka that i could keep with factory stock, and that is then quite nice.

Do you think there's enough material on the front of the stock for the barrel channel to be opened up for something like a Proof sendero barrel?

Do you think there's enough material on the front of the stock for the barrel channel to be opened up for something like a Proof sendero barrel?

We did took the action of the stock, and see what it look´s like.
It has a caulking on bottom of the barrel chanel, im not sure how this stock is made of, layers of glasfiber and carbonfiber, so im not sure
is it wise thing to start opening, might be get useless after that.

The stock on the UPR looks like a PSE Composites carbon fiber stock. Definetly not junk:

https://www.pse-composites.com/

PSE stocks are certainly not junk, they are hand made in Ireland and I have 3 of them fitted to Tikka's.

What is junk is the fact that Tikka have ripped off PSE's design of the ETAC stock, even down to their distinctive speckle paint job.

https://www.pse-composites.com/collections/e-tac-ultralight-range/products/e-tac-4-ctr

Hard to understand why Tikka would not approach the manufacturer and instead do a knock off take... maybe Beretta has something to do with it.

PSE now make OEM stocks for Schultz & Larsen tactical line.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

That line in the middle speaks volumes for how it was made (in other words not well).

No bedding work to speak of either.

Wonder where they got the idea from?
The factory CTR stock can be opened up easily to a medium Palma. This one may expose the structural bracing like the ctr stock when it is done but I bet it would be plenty stiff. As far as bedding goes, it’s not needed. These rifles shoot Extremely well with none required. I have never seen the need to bed any rifle in any stock as long as the barrel is free floated.

It depends what you want to do with it. I like the UPR a lot. I have a CTR in a Bravo as well. The UPR is about 1.5 lb lighter so it’s more of a general purpose rifle suitable for mountain hunting or carrying long distances rather than a dedicated PRS gun. The 20 moa rail is low profile and made of steel I believe. The stock is really a work of art, Sako knows how to make carbon fiber stocks. It’s really stiff. I can’t comment on durability yet.

Reactions: Bravo6
It depends what you want to do with it. I like the UPR a lot. I have a CTR in a Bravo as well. The UPR is about 1.5 lb lighter so it’s more of a general purpose rifle suitable for mountain hunting or carrying long distances rather than a dedicated PRS gun. The 20 moa rail is low profile and made of steel I believe. The stock is really a work of art, Sako knows how to make carbon fiber stocks. It’s really stiff. I can’t comment on durability yet.
I really appreciate your feedback, Graywolf!! I'm thinking of getting one now, thank you!

Does the channel look like it could fit a Proof sendero barrel or similar?

I am in the same boat, can’t decide between the CTR and UPR in 6.5 creed. It will eventually get topped with a nice VX5 or NX8 and used for yotes and white-tail.
I was set on the CTR but I do like the 20moa rail and the stock isn’t something that would require replacement right off the rip.... damnit.

I know I don’t need the extra speed of the 24” and with intent of running the Nomad, I am thinking I would regret the extra 4” so I am leaning towards the 20”. I am not a long range plinker currently, but don’t hate the idea!

Last edited:
I don’t have a Sendero barrel to check but I am doubtful it would fit, it seems like the barrel channel is pretty similar to the CTR factory stock.

Does it look like the channel can be opened up? Seems iffyl.

Yeah, I think the money would be better spent buying a CTR and putting it in the exact chassis/stock you want, rather than settling for what the UPR offers. The 20 moa rail is about damn time - no reason Tikka shouldn't offer that on its own CTRs, especially given how much of a devil it is to remove the stock 0 moa rail. Ask me how I know.

Going to be trying opening up the barrel channel at home and seeing if I can't eek out a little better precision. Thanks!

Well today I called up and put my name on the 20” SS CTR I had fondled over the Weekend. CTR VS UPR is a tossup, Hard to go wrong with either but figured I could cerekote the stock until I figure out a better option.
Would want something that has QD sling attachments and is light weight.
This will be my first “worth a shit” bolt gun. Main reason for purchase is to run a can while both hunting deer and yotes. Would love to get into long range plinking if time permits.
Next is the old VX5 vs NX8 debate.

I would be really careful about drilling or milling the UPR stock, I assume it's a foam core wrapped in carbon fiber. it's not uniform like the glass-polymer CTR stock. Here's an interesting look at the carbon fiber stock for the carbonlight made in the Sako factory

PSE stocks are certainly not junk, they are hand made in Ireland and I have 3 of them fitted to Tikka's.

What is junk is the fact that Tikka have ripped off PSE's design of the ETAC stock, even down to their distinctive speckle paint job.

https://www.pse-composites.com/collections/e-tac-ultralight-range/products/e-tac-4-ctr

Hard to understand why Tikka would not approach the manufacturer and instead do a knock off take... maybe Beretta has something to do with it.

PSE now make OEM stocks for Schultz & Larsen tactical line.

Everything, but the first and last sentence in this post is just bad/wrong info. You must have limited experience with other stocks if you believe what you're saying in your two posts.

I got to handle one of the new Sako Carbon precision rifles a number of months back and it felt fantastic. Wish they would have just used that stock and inletted for the T3x.

I don’t know about the UPR stock as I have never seen one, but a ctr stock and even a T3x lite stock can be opened up to fit a Rem varmint or medium palma easily. I have done a few. These polymer stocks are much harder to open up than a manners, mcmillan, or grayboe stock though.

Pulled the trigger on a .308 UPR and I have to say that it looks and feels way better in person, compared to watching pictures online. I am yet to take it to the range, as I am still waiting for the scope rings.

Attachments

• IMG_20201117_192106.jpg
    IMG_20201117_192106.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 367
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-11-17 at 20.03.38.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-11-17 at 20.03.38.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 325
  • 126137744_10224604560920410_3100566644204936994_o.jpg
    126137744_10224604560920410_3100566644204936994_o.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 294
The barrel channel is perfect for the CTR Sendero light profile, wouldn’t fit a barrel much bigger. A dollar bill slides freely under the barrel up to the receiver. This is my favorite mountain hunting stock now. Got a .308 from a TAC A1 in it now for elk hunting. I had a T3 light 6.5 CM in it earlier for antelope season and it balanced and looked fine.
FB937234-B8E0-439E-B7A6-CD524179C5F3.jpeg
D747AC04-3F2E-46F5-8B81-F506C995D8D0.jpeg
3AF26248-937E-4A9A-8DEC-6F94DEC2C823.jpeg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I got one of these in 6.5cm as a hunting rifle that would also allow me to dip my toes in long range/precision shooting and have been absolutely loving it. Right out of the box it shoots .5 moa with 5 shot groups and I'm currently working on some hand loads for fun. I've got a Vortex Razor HD Gen II up top for now which is a little heavy for my liking in terms of hunting, but it's definitely the best scope I've ever owned so I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I must say I'm very happy with the stock. It's super rigid, it feels great in the hand ergonomically, the textured finish (which is not something I really cared about when I ordered it) is way better than I imagined it would be and one of my favorite features about it now, the adjustable cheek piece is nice and sturdy and narrow (which I dig), and there's 2 qd sling points on the side and 3 swivel studs on the bottom. I know a lot of people are concerned that it's a cheap stock, but all this to say, you kind of have to have it in hand to appreciate how nice it actually is. Take all that with a grain of salt seeing as I don't have much experience with prs stocks and chassis and such, but seeing as it shoots the way it does without adding a ton of weight (for multi-day western hunting) I couldn't be happier.

My 2 cents for anyone who's still curious about it.

I already said this but the form factor and weight are great, it's still my favorite hunting stock. With a Tac A1 action in it with a two stage trigger its like an ultralight TRG, in fact it kept reminding me how much I miss having a TRG. So I sold a couple other rifles and now there's a TRG-22 on the way from Eurooptic.

The barrel channel is perfect for the CTR Sendero light profile, wouldn’t fit a barrel much bigger. A dollar bill slides freely under the barrel up to the receiver. This is my favorite mountain hunting stock now. Got a .308 from a TAC A1 in it now for elk hunting. I had a T3 light 6.5 CM in it earlier for antelope season and it balanced and looked fine.View attachment 7476489View attachment 7476491View attachment 7476488View attachment 7476504

Zeroed new within 10rnd of Hornady 140 ELDM, consistently under 0.5MOA for the rest of the day. Weighing about 8.2lb without scope and bipod. My first precision bolt action rifle, sweet shooter.

View attachment 7499444View attachment 7499445

What do they weigh all set up?

Under 12 lbs?

THanks
DT

Yeah, maybe the "Ultimate" is a bit of a stretch for some, but it seems like a worthwhile configuration to me.

Slightly lighter than the CTR with improved ergos looks like a win-win. The placement of the rear stud is a bit of a faux pas, but it has qd cups in the left side, so I'd simply toss it.

Would be nice if they added 6CM & 6.5PRC to the options.

Kinda love it for a hipster cal I swore Id nvr buy. ha.
Y'all... If we keep calling 6.5cm a "hipster caliber" it might start to give hipsters a good name.😬 Maybe time to rethink our wording before this happens.

Reactions: D_TROS
I already said this but the form factor and weight are great, it's still my favorite hunting stock. With a Tac A1 action in it with a two stage trigger its like an ultralight TRG, in fact it kept reminding me how much I miss having a TRG. So I sold a couple other rifles and now there's a TRG-22 on the way from Eurooptic.
Do you like this that much more than the TRG?

I’m curious to check the UPR stock out. It seems to be influenced by the trg. But April in Finland means June?august? in the US, who knows with Beretta.

Looks a lot like the stock on my Bergara B14r, while it may not suit everyone, it works pretty well and I wouldn't swap it for a Bravo.

Do you like this that much more than the TRG?
I still really like the UPR but I got a new 260 rem TRG-22 a couple months ago. The TRG is a different animal. I might take the UPR on a very long mountain hunt. But I would rather have the TRG when I got there. Honestly it’s only a couple pounds heavier, it will be an internal debate what to use before every hunting trip.