• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka vs AI feeding “smoothness”

DangerRanger

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2018
East
My CTR with tikka try/ctr mags feeds more effortlessly/smoothly than any custom I’ve owned. I’m not just talking about bolt smoothness, which my defiance and Curtis are smoother, but picking ip a round and chambering the tikka is simply smoother. I’m considering doing a full build on it with the ctr mags because of this. However, I’ve seen In videos and heard that the accuracy internationals seem to also feed ridiculously smooth, and if im gonna dump 3k into a tikka build and the aiax are better I might just go for it and do the damn thing.

Anyone owned both and compared them in this manner?

In comparison of my Tikka CTR in the stock with CTR mags versus the KRG Bravo stock/chassis with AI mags, I've noticed a bit smoother feeding in the Bravo-AI configuration. Some of that was chalked up to the alignment but the front of the mag on the CTR would also 'clip' the mouth of the case and cause a bit of a bump; I'm sure that could have easily been modified with a file/sanding/dremel though. Also on the CTR, sometimes it missed the hole and jammed into the top or left side of the receiver and got stuck. I only have two range outings (~150rds) on the KRG though, but haven't experienced that yet.

In comparison of my Tikka CTR in the stock with CTR mags versus the KRG Bravo stock/chassis with AI mags, I've noticed a bit smoother feeding in the Bravo-AI configuration. Some of that was chalked up to the alignment but the front of the mag on the CTR would also 'clip' the mouth of the case and cause a bit of a bump; I'm sure that could have easily been modified with a file/sanding/dremel though. Also on the CTR, sometimes it missed the hole and jammed into the top or left side of the receiver and got stuck. I only have two range outings (~150rds) on the KRG though, but haven't experienced that yet.
Very interesting, I was assuming the ctr mags were part of the equation

Admittedly I don't own a Tikka (or AI for that matter), but with the custom rifles you are comparing to, have the mags been tweaked/optimized for the action it's paired with? Giving the feed lips a light sanding with fine grit sandpaper and tweaking the feedlip geometry can go a long ways in making the feeding "smoother"/more effortless.

Anyways, not trying to dissuade you from buying/upgrading a Tikka or AI, both great rifles. But perhaps there's an opportunity to make your customs even better.

Admittedly I don't own a Tikka (or AI for that matter), but with the custom rifles you are comparing to, have the mags been tweaked/optimized for the action it's paired with? Giving the feed lips a light sanding with fine grit sandpaper and tweaking the feedlip geometry can go a long ways in making the feeding "smoother"/more effortless.

Anyways, not trying to dissuade you from buying/upgrading a Tikka or AI, both great rifles. But perhaps there's an opportunity to make your customs even better.
Yes for sure, re reading there is an implication my other rifles feed poorly and they don’t. Very good actually, and I have done even more high grit sanding and improved it more. It’s more about how good the tikka is, I was catching myself thinking it didn’t pick up a round. Once I started trusting it it became very enjoyable to shoot fast.

Yes for sure, re reading there is an implication my other rifles feed poorly and they don’t. Very good actually, and I have done even more high grit sanding and improved it more. It’s more about how good the tikka is, I was catching myself thinking it didn’t pick up a round. Once I started trusting it it became very enjoyable to shoot fast.

Gotcha.

I don't have a Tikka, but from all reports they sound like awesome rifles. I would wager the best dollar to performance value out there for what we do.

Reactions: DangerRanger
My Impact 737r fed much much much much much much more smoothly than my tikka. I have an AIAX on its way so I’ll be comparing it to that soon.

Reactions: DangerRanger