• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tilley Hat, Buy Or Not?

Joeg26er

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Tilley Hat, Buy Or Not? Are they worth the hype or is there something better?
Shopping for a nice hat, buy once cry once that will protect against sun and moderate rain and with good ventilation for Florida and fishing.
Anything else to consider other than a Tilley. Which Tilley?

Shopping for a nice hat, buy once cry once that will protect against sun and moderate rain and with good ventilation for Florida and fishing.
Do they come with a free pair of knee high white socks and crocs?

Just giving you shit. Im not in the Tilley hat age bracket.....yet!

You mis-spelled ghillie hat...

E11E8215-D482-4EB0-A027-ED6ED456313F.jpeg

This is snipers hide you know?

Sirhr

all kidding aside, what are your alternatives to this?

200.gif

Big fan of mine. Don’t recall the type exactly. Got it when I went to Alaska years ago. Now living in Florida and always take it when going to the beach or fishing. Great way to embarrass the kids and wife.

Had a Tilley. Wore it for a while. Lost it. Maybe on purpose. Prefer a boonie hat, except that made in USA are hard to find. some Tilley hats are made in China, fwiw...

Reactions: Alphatreedog
Had a Tilley. Wore it for a while. Lost it. Maybe on purpose. Prefer a boonie hat, except that made in USA are hard to find. some Tilley hats are made in China, fwiw...
no it is canadian

Top Features​

• Rated UPF 50+
  • Guaranteed for life
  • DWR (Durable Water Repellent) Finish
  • Hidden Pocket
  • Buoyant
  • Moisture-wicking Hydrofil®
  • Tuckaway Wind Cord
  • Grommets
  • Made in Canada
  • OEKO-TEX® certification

im sure the cheaper are the china ones though

Reactions: Tono and Maggot
While most members of the Hide wear Kuhl pants, Grunt Style t-shirts, hats that have velcro patches, and Salomon shoes, you shouldn't ask for fashion advice from any of them. If you like the hat, wear it, and invoke your Constitutional Rights in all situations.

You might check out Outback Trading Company. They might have something you like.

Not a tilley wearer, wear a north face sun hat. Similar to a boonie but with a little bit larger brim and made of breathable quick dry nylon blend

They are nice. The features are not found in any other hat that I'm aware of. The hidden pocket, snap on sides to hold the brim up, and the double strap has held mine on my head in extreme winds (they call it a wind cord, goes around the base of your skull holds it on no matter the wind direction). That strap feature alone makes it worth it, every boonie should have it.

It's definitely function over fashion so if you want to look cool don't get it but if you want a hat that does everything awesome - get it.
EDIT: just looked, mine is a T3, had it for many years

Last edited:
Reactions: Maggot
Stetson campaign cover or GTFO.

Vintage Stetson Campaign, made with Nutria ie Muskrats...

1622722231386.png

than give it a cool block so that you look like this guy.....

1622722279953.png

Those original USMC Campaigns with the edge of the brim rolled under for extra thick were the shizzle. I might have to find one to buy.

This guy makes a Repro

but that crown looks like it was made for these people...

1622724325619.png

Last edited:
Reactions: acudaowner

A great alternative, the rough-cut is made in central america, shipped to Garland, Tx, then shaped, rolled, crowned, trimmed, and final shaped in Garland, Tx.. and they're in stock.

all kidding aside, what are your alternatives to this?
A just as good or better hat from Tractor Supply for a fraction of what a hat like that should really cost.

Mines out in my truck waiting for another brutally hot Texas summer on the construction sight.

no it is canadian

Top Features​

• Rated UPF 50+
  • Guaranteed for life
  • DWR (Durable Water Repellent) Finish
  • Hidden Pocket
  • Buoyant
  • Moisture-wicking Hydrofil®
  • Tuckaway Wind Cord
  • Grommets
  • Made in Canada
  • OEKO-TEX® certification

im sure the cheaper are the china ones though
I just looked again at my quote which says “some Tilley hats are made in China, fwiw...” And, I looked again at the Tilley site. They offer 38 styles of brimmed hats. 20 of those are advertised as made in Canada. The rest are made overseas.

Of their total offerings (shirts, pants, hats, beanies, etc. the number, I did not count) they have 35 advertised as made in Canada. The remainder are overseas production. I read elsewhere that some of their socks are made in the USA. At this point, I would hazard a guess that Tilley is mostly overseas produced. That is an observation, not and inditement. Foreign (specifically China) manufacturing can produce pretty much anything at pretty much any quality level that the customer is is willing to pay for. But, if that little “made in xxxxx” tag means something to you, look closely at what you are buying.

From what I can tell, “toque” means “beanie” in Mandarin...

I have to look cool. People expect it and I don’t want to let them down. Most of those hats I would only wear on a solo expedition far from civilization. For me it’s a baseball hat or a straw Stetson if I’m fishing in the sun all day.

I just looked again at my quote which says “some Tilley hats are made in China, fwiw...” And, I looked again at the Tilley site. They offer 38 styles of brimmed hats. 20 of those are advertised as made in Canada. The rest are made overseas.

Of their total offerings (shirts, pants, hats, beanies, etc. the number, I did not count) they have 35 advertised as made in Canada. The remainder are overseas production. I read elsewhere that some of their socks are made in the USA. At this point, I would hazard a guess that Tilley is mostly overseas produced. That is an observation, not and inditement. Foreign (specifically China) manufacturing can produce pretty much anything at pretty much any quality level that the customer is is willing to pay for. But, if that little “made in xxxxx” tag means something to you, look closely at what you are buying.

From what I can tell, “toque” means “beanie” in Mandarin...

Fuck Canada.

With their new Prime Minister for life shit (unconfirmed) they might as well be China.

Go on Ebay and find the former serviceman/former Hider that makes the short brim Boonies.

I have used one of these Tilley caps for 20+ years, great in the Florida Sun.
I looked @ their site, they don’t make it any more.
tilleycap.png

have had a tilley for years, when it gets nasty just wash it and its back to new. salt water hasnt hurt it yet.

not to split mouse hairs here, but a nutria is NOT a muskrat. Nutria can be up to 20 lbs or more. and their fur is quite nice and should be fairly waterproof.

Lets not split hairs so to speak.

Toothy rodents are toothy rodents...I should have kept this one for spare parts.....

Reactions: Ravenworks
You can’t say something like that and not post a link🤷🏻

I been looking but not seeing an ad as I remember it to be.

He had a good following here on the Hide about ten years ago.

He may have made so much money he now retired and living in Costa Rica.

• Haha
Reactions: Sniperwannabee