• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Time Lapse 223 Build

MDM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Ohio
I'm not a pro gunsmith, just a home hobby guy that started building my own stuff last year, so take it easy on me:). I put together a 223 a while back that was going to be a shared rifle between my old man and I, but he has since staked claim on it so I had to build one for myself. Gathered the parts over the past couple of months and the reamer finally showed, so away we go. Hopefully get to shoot it in a few days.
26" bartlien 7.7tw, M40, PTG Rem Match, .2525 neck, .085 FB. Plan to shoot 80 VLDs

YouTube

Nicely done, with the time lapse it was almost like watching a turning center when you were profiling and threading :)

A piece of advice:

Take your wedding ring off when you run that machine. Same for any other watches, jewelry, necklaces, etc.

He can loose his finger in the machine or loose it when his wife see's him without it on. Either way loose loose. :p

Awesome video! What lathe is that and how short of a barrel could you fit in between the chuck and the spider through the headstock? Thanks for posting this!

Ben

Awesome video! What lathe is that and how short of a barrel could you fit in between the chuck and the spider through the headstock? Thanks for posting this!

Ben
It's a 1943 South Bend Heavy 10. It's old and has some wear in the bed, but its capable of holding extremely tight tolerance on the chamber end. I can go as short as 19" with the chuck I'm using here. I've got a buddy that's been searching far and wide for that chuck and can't seem to locate one. It's original SB and I'm not exactly sure what it was made for, but it is perfect for barrel work.
Killswitch - you lose the matted hippie hair and I'll lose the ring. Ha. Thanks for letting me borrow the bolt handle jig bud.

It's a 1943 South Bend Heavy 10. It's old and has some wear in the bed, but its capable of holding extremely tight tolerance on the chamber end. I can go as short as 19" with the chuck I'm using here. I've got a buddy that's been searching far and wide for that chuck and can't seem to locate one. It's original SB and I'm not exactly sure what it was made for, but it is perfect for barrel work.
Killswitch - you lose the matted hippie hair and I'll lose the ring. Ha. Thanks for letting me borrow the bolt handle jig bud.

Thank you sir! Still looking for a lathe that can hold a 16" barrel through the headstock between chuck and spider.

Ben

CSI can solve a murder in 50 minutes, you can fit a barrel in 4 minutes and 17 seconds, (not like it's a murder or anything) whats the big deal? :confused: Pretty neat!

Thank you for the helpful videos Ozzie! I pretty much follow them to a T for chambering.

Thank you sir! Still looking for a lathe that can hold a 16" barrel through the headstock between chuck and spider.

Ben

Looking for one for yourself or a shop that can build one for you? We can do it. Our lathe won't hold one in a spider either, but it's easy enough to make a collet to center up the muzzle end in the head stock.

The way it's held really doesn't matter as long as the bore runout is where you need it to be and it won't slip in the chuck.

Wish I could say it was difficult, but its not. I bought my old SB lathe last year, not knowing how to turn the thing on basically, and was doing this stuff a few months later. No way would I want to do this stuff day in and day out or for a living, I'd rather be shooting.

Interesting video. It looks like it turned out really nice, great job! How well is it shooting out of curiousity?

Shoots real good now that I've had time to develop a load for it.