• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time pieces/Watches?

Good Lord! You all sure have hairy ass arms! Anyways, I stay nerdy with my approach to time keeping. :D

20181219_215526_zpsyvzxagbt.jpg

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
View attachment 7020060

My Hooper prototype... the first orange one. No serial number. It's the only one. Oh and once you start buying Resco's... you end up calling my buddy at Half-Faced Blades... and getting one or two of those, as well.

I tried to get a Resco for Busenhalter-6. But Smitty would not trade.

Cheers,

Sirhr
That's a good looking combo. I ordered a Resco (custom stainless RTAC) today, and also have a couple Half Face Blades. Neither are cheap...

Best watch I ever had for durability. All titanium with sapphire crystal face super light and the hand's are amazingly accurate on hash marks, awe the ocd in me.

Attachments

• 20190318_173753.jpg
    20190318_173753.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 20190323_144008.jpg
    20190323_144008.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 20190318_173101 (1).jpg
    20190318_173101 (1).jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Reactions: Dragonscout25
No. Actually the battery just died a few weeks ago. From what I've read on the internets, a lot of places won't do it because they tend to leak afterwards.
That's what I was told also, I had to send mine back to NJ just to get it replaced. I did it, but said never again. I have a pro trek solar, and it has ran fine for years. The battery in it was supposed to last 20 years, with daily solar recharges, and so far so good.

The new mudmaster is on my radar now, but the solar capability is not listed as of yet.

What was the cost of sending it back? I may be better off just picking up a new one with as little as I've got into it.

The mudmaster is one of my favorite G Shocks.

What was the cost of sending it back? I may be better off just picking up a new one with as little as I've got into it.

The mudmaster is one of my favorite G Shocks.
With replacement cost, insurance and shipping it ran me about $30.

I'm a big fan of Seiko, you get a lot of watch for the money
IMG_20200629_183243_4~2.jpg

SBDC081 Seiko prospex "hulk"
SARB033
SNA411 Seiko flightmaster
SKX007 Seiko diver

currently on a waitlist for a Lorier Neptune.....excited for this one!
Capture.PNG

so i was browsing an antique shop today and found this guy for $80
IMG_20200713_230253_5.jpg

IMG_20200713_230124_9.jpg

an old Ingersoll "yankee".......runs great and keeps perfect time.

then i did some digging, based on S/N, this watch was made in 1910...and apparently at the time, this was the cheapest watch you could buy, sold for $1 (about $25 in todays money), and was made using stampings and without jewels to keeps costs down, so the regular working man could afford a watch...and because of the cost, and the riveted construction, they werent designed to be serviced....and honestly, that amazed me.

so in 1910, they build a complex mechanical device, capable of keeping accurate time, for 110 years, without any servicing.....truly mind-blowing when you think about it.

think about what you could buy today for $25....a cheap quartz casio maybe?.....is there a chance in hell thats going to be working in 10 years? much less 110?

as an engineer, this stuff fascinates me

View attachment 7373821
View attachment 7373822

then i did some digging, based on S/N, this watch was made in 1910...and apparently at the time, this was the cheapest watch you could buy, sold for $1 (about $25 in todays money), and was made using stampings and without jewels to keeps costs down, so the regular working man could afford a watch...and because of the cost, and the riveted construction, they werent designed to be serviced....and honestly, that amazed me.

so in 1910, they build a complex mechanical device, capable of keeping accurate time, for 110 years, without any servicing.....truly mind-blowing when you think about it.

think about what you could buy today for $25....a cheap quartz casio maybe?.....is there a chance in hell thats going to be working in 10 years? much less 110?

I love pocket watches, especially older ones. Fusee watches are an engineering marvel considering when they were made

7C4CF07B-429C-486C-A658-B140BDDFE904.jpeg

‘My Mother gave me this watch back in the mid 60’s when I was doing a lot of auto course. She said it would help her keep her eyes on me.

It is now in the toy box waiting to be repaired which will happen next September. There is a watch craftsmen in Belgium that specializes in the very old Heuer watches.

Heuer Time at one time had a shop located in Springfield, NJ right off Route 22. Made countless trips to that shop. Brought my Father with me because he was fluent in German.

Maxwell

Last edited:
so i made the mistake of stopping in another antique shop today.....and in a complete 180 from the "cheapest watch" i found yesterday....i found this absolute gem for an utterly incredible price.

a 10K gold 23 jewel Waltham Vanguard made in 1913

IMG_20200714_124007_1.jpg

not tarnish on the hands, just a reflection....bluing is 100%
IMG_20200714_124037_5.jpg

by far now one of the nicest watches i own.

usually the antique shops around are all picked over.....im wondering if the Wuhan flu is keeping everyone at home, preventing all the nice stuff from being snatched up.

I own about 30 or 40 of these wind indicators.... I’m sure you meant 10K gold filled as that would be the first Sold gold case in that style ever seen.......;)

so i made the mistake of stopping in another antique shop today.....and in a complete 180 from the "cheapest watch" i found yesterday....i found this absolute gem for an utterly incredible price.

View attachment 7374197
View attachment 7374198

usually the antique shops around are all picked over.....im wondering if the Wuhan flu is keeping everyone at home, preventing all the nice stuff from being snatched up.

Reactions: ...

View attachment 7374197
View attachment 7374198

Not just bluing....nitre bluing.

I have one very similar.

View attachment 7374084
Here is one of mine, does anybody know the significance of this watch/movement?
So many things... one of the first high beat movements. One of the best automatic weight systems. Used by Rolex in their Daytona’s for a long time. It was a landmark watch I. The late 60s or early 70s.

beautiful!!!!!

Do
View attachment 7373821
View attachment 7373822

Dollar watches were a big thing at that time. I still have my Grandfathers. I’ll post later! Beautiful find!

Sirhr

View attachment 7374197
View attachment 7374198

One of my most valuable and Rare Waltham watches...14K gold case...not sure of the history other than it was made in the late 1800s/early 1900s.

Waltham 01.jpg

Waltham 02.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a watch fan, but when my son graduated from High School, he wanted a nice watch. I found a watchmaker in France who was starting a new series. I was able to buy serial number 3 or 26. He supposedly died before he got them all finished. I wish I could remember his name, but my son is 35 now and he's still a watch monger and still wears this watch over his Rolex and others.

I still regret not buying a Speedmaster for 1200 bucks in 1997!!! I also cannot stand any band that's not like a diver band, a link band with the clasp. Could probably do rubber like on the Oris, but prefer all stainless watches myself. Granted, stainless isn't the best for diving as it makes you look like a bait fish!!

Steinhardt Triton Military Bronze automatic, 300m diver for my daily.
For an auto-winder the accuracy is amazing, it's consistently gained under 7 seconds/24hr since new.
The Superluminova illumination is so bright when fully charged you can actually read print by it and is still perfectly legible nearly 6hrs later.
20200715_165241.jpg

20200715_165446.jpg

20200715_170414.jpg

20200715_170947.jpg

Last edited: