• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Timney 510 into a McM HTG ?

mrgreen

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2014
In light of the Rem 700 trigger recall, it seems like the right time to swap out the trigger. I'm trying to decide if it's a DIY or find-a-Gunsmith situation. Since the Timney 510 and Mcm HTG Stocks seem to be very popular here, does anyone have experience fitting one into the other? Is there any clearance issues? The rifle has a BAD-DBM installed.

Thanks,
Steve

In light of the Rem 700 trigger recall, it seems like the right time to swap out the trigger. I'm trying to decide if it's a DIY or find-a-Gunsmith situation. Since the Timney 510 and Mcm HTG Stocks seem to be very popular here, does anyone have experience fitting one into the other? Is there any clearance issues? The rifle has a BAD-DBM installed.

Thanks,
Steve

Get the 510U. It increase the firing pin travel. That's a good thing.

Both the Timney and Jewel fit the HTG with no modification. At least mine did.

Only thing is if the Timney shoe fits ok in your DBM, the shoe is a little wide, nothing a jewelers file cant handle.

You can buy the install kit at brownells or buy just the correct punch at Ace hardware. Lastly, if you are not comfortable messing with the trigger itself, you can order the trigger direct from Timney and they will set the weight for you.

Remington 700 Replacement Trigger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaQgsjhk2Fg

Thanks guys, I heard back from McMillan. They agree with you, there should be enough room. Very little, if any, to remove.
I placed my order with Timney by phone last night (they seem to be putting in a lot of overtime, thanks to Rems recall).

DaveT, thanks for the heads up re; the U-sear. Only thing is, the actual 510U has no bolt release lever, but they recommend and will install the longer sear on a standard 510. Mine should be here by the end of the week.

I'm still a fan of Remington, and this will be a huge hit for them. I've seen estimates of approx 800,000 rifles being recalled. So by my math, if say, 500,000 come back, Remington is paying shipping round-trip, plus labor. I'm estimating about $50 per rifle, that's $25 mil. They're kinda screwed.

Update- Just installed the Timney. It couldn't have taken more then 10 minutes, start-to-finish. Ordered direct from Timney, m510 w/long sear, set at 2.5 lbs.
I spoke the them about the Calvin Elite, when I explained it was for hunting and #2.5 was as low as I planned to go, they suggested the m510.
Everything fit perfect, McMillan HTG stock, B.A.D.-DBM.
By the way, I think the Rem trigger housing feels and looks pretty cheap next to the Timney.
Just want to thank everyone for the helpful advice.

Steve