• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tipped 175 smk ?

Gunfighter14e2

Hunter/trapper of Remora's
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2002
Lick skillet Alabama
eham.net
Picked up a box (500) of these and for the life of me I can not make them shoot in either 308 or either 300wm. Heard they were having problems with the tips coming off, an or melting at high speed. Did the normal load work up but nothing worked. Anyone using these with success?

Copied from an earlier post...
I tried them (.308). They are extremely jump sensitive and due to secant ogive I could not even get close to mag length with them loaded to where they wanted.
I don't have my load notes but I think it was around 2.98" AOL to get them at .020 jump.
Also the bullets are very long. At mag length, with mild powder charges, I was seeing pressure signs. Most I ran was 43.5 of Varget before I stopped due to pressure.
Loading for a factory chambered Rem 700 with a deep throat though.

I shot them for awhile and while I eventually found a load and CBTO that made them work reasonably well it was a major PITA. They were very fussy bullets and very sensitive to seating depth. I finally switched to the new Nosler RDF and it was a Godsend, they were easy to get to shoot through a variety of seating depth and powder charges, worked well through several nodes and they shoot better than the TMK'S ever did.

I've heard no "awesomeness" reports on the TMK's - none. I'm glad I didn't buy a bunch. Great looking bullet and I know several guys trying to sell big boxes of them...

i was an early adopter and bought into the HYPE and BC #'s. I bought 1k of them. the OAL make dealing with them a pain in the ass for magazine fed loads. For single shot i got a good load pretty quickly....

Mine seem to jump very well. I loaded them at the same OAL as I did for the 178 a max. Not sure the exact jump. I never actually did a work up. I loaded it 43.1 of RL15 just like I do with the A max and 175 nosler CC. My rifle likes the TMK best. My wallet likes the Amax best.

Mine seem to jump very well. I loaded them at the same OAL as I did for the 178 a max. Not sure the exact jump. I never actually did a work up. I loaded it 43.1 of RL15 just like I do with the A max and 175 nosler CC. My rifle likes the TMK best. My wallet likes the Amax best.

I got a box of 500 of the 175 TMK's I'll make you a smokin' deal on.....:).

I got a box of 500 of the 175 TMK's I'll make you a smokin' deal on.....:).

I was just lauphing at myself. I have thousands of .308 bullets, and I was thinking about selling all of them and just running 6.5 Creedmore. The TMK only makes the 308 a little less of a flying pig.

I've loaded a lot of the 168gr TMKs with good success, but we were also having problems getting the 175s to shoot with seating from 2.800" to 2.900" (most that would feed out of an AICS mag).

I was just lauphing at myself. I have thousands of .308 bullets, and I was thinking about selling all of them and just running 6.5 Creedmore. The TMK only makes the 308 a little less of a flying pig.

LOL! Yeah, but everybody should own at least one....!

I didnt have great luck with them. I got them to shoot 3/4 moa. And once in awhile 1/2 moa. I had to work my ass off (behind the gun) to get those groups. No room for error.

My 178 bthp loads are simply, point and shoot 1/2 moa and better.