• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tips/Drills to get ready for ASC Fall match

Re: Tips/Drills to get ready for ASC Fall match

Dawg,

With any shooting, a competition or real world get your cardio and flexibility good to go - heart rate and breathing as well as stamina to hold positions. Positional shooting supported, unsupported (not a whole bunch of conventional prone from talking with folks that have shot it) and learn to run your loop sling, trigger time dry firing and at the range. Know how to range estimate and make a good dope change and hold for that follow up shot if you miss the first. Understand angle shooting that part of the world can be up and down pretty quick. Having never shot this particular match that is specific as I can get. I do know that weather in that part of the country can change quickly so bring good gear for wind, rain, cold, heat, etc.

Good luck,

Danel

Learn to range targets with your reticle. If you can't do it reasonably well you are toast. Get in all your practice rounds in wind because you will shoot in wind, learn to read it. Learn to make corrections,if you make all second round hits you will be in the top 10. I go to enjoy the place with people that I really like,my young son has accompanyed me more than not.

Go to learn and don't sweat it when not one spotter can tell you where the round went. Have Fun!

WARNING That mountain is more addicting than crack!

What does everyone recommend having in their pack?

here is what i was thinking

Rain Gear, extra socks, light fleece, ammo, range card, Pda, wind meter, water, snacks, small rifle cleaning kit

anything else?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does everyone recommend having in their pack?

Rain Gear, extra socks, light fleece, ammo, range card, Pda, wind meter, water, snacks, small rifle cleaning kit

anything else?</div></div>

I reccomend that Prudden keep carrying his portable shooting tripod!!! It has saved me the last day of the last two matches.
Wish I knew what it is. Its' good Kit!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does everyone recommend having in their pack?

anything else? </div></div>

You left out everything you need to range a target with your reticle (Mildot Master is my preferred tool). Rear bag. Cosine indicator. Bipod (various sizes if you have them). Tactical sheep shit cleaner
grin.gif

Bill pretty much nailed it, but here's my 2 cents....

Travel as light as you can, just essentials. The less tired you are, the better you'll shoot.

Rifle with a good sling, some like to carry their rifle in a drag bag or folding rifle case/shooting mat. I just wear my pack and sling my rifle. I don't even bring my scope cover.

Ammo (You'll get straightened out on the round count for each day at the Friday Nite Shooter's Meeting) I always bring 20 extra in case of some kind of fuckup, like an inexplicable loss of zero. It's (thankfully) never happened to me, but I've seen it happen.

Rear bag

Food (I either take an MRE, or just run on granola bars, trail mix, dried fruit, etc)

Water (If it's hot, I'll come close to draining my 3 liter CamelBak)

Rain gear (I just go ahead and put it on in the morning, the grass is usually wet with dew)

Data book/ data cards/ MilDot Master/ Calculator/ ACI (I don't bring my data book, just a small Rite-In-The-Rain notebook and keep notes in there, I can transfer anything I think is important to my data book later)

Bipod (My rifle wears the 6-9" Harris as a default, and it's handy to have a 9-13" for some places where the shots are uphill)

Kestrel or wind meter if you like

PDA if you like, I bring it (it's light)- but prefer to use my homemade laminated data cards, it's simpler and faster.

Like Bill said- keep everything you need to shoot (Ammo, data book or cards, MDM, rear bag, etc) so that you can deploy it, get on the line and shoot, and get out of the way, the whole day goes smoother and quicker if everyone does this.

The wind is usually changing constantly. When it's your turn to shoot, if it's a 2 shot drill, LOAD 2 rounds, so you're ready to follow up immediately. If your first shot misses, cycle the bolt, hold your correction, and shoot again *quickly* before the wind changes.

Another obvious one, but- don't forget to turn your knobs back to ZERO every time you finish shooting. It's a real pisser to find yourself off one full turn of elevation or windage (don't ask me how I know this... DOH!)

Don't drink too much at the Shooter's Meeting on Friday, or at the Barbecue Saturday Nite... not only will your scores suffer, the pics of your drunk ass will be all over the internet by Monday Night, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
crazy.gif

Marc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottmilk9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When is the fall match?</div></div> ... and let us know how to enter, please.

The last 2 308 matches have been won by someone shooting 155gr bullets.I have tried 155 lapua over 49.0 550 Vit and poor groups and not much flatter than 175s Blaster

Lookin forward to seeing the old shooters there once again. Now if I can only get this old body up to the task.LOL

How do I sign up for this match?

Lance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AI Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do I sign up for this match?</div></div>The roster has already been decided, and there is a waiting list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AI Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do I sign up for this match?</div></div>The roster has already been decided, and there is a waiting list.
</div></div>
A WAITING LIST !!?? ARE YOU SURE ??? Thats odd
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

The ASC subset is ready for you guys.

This page layout will allow you to use it with any of the targets you may come across on the scenic mountain.

This page offers the 8 man targets found their along with a draw in area for any new shots and a grouping area.

This page will also aid you in keep score and track of how many rounds you fired on each drill.

SSS-ASC.jpg

Nomad where's my databook for ASC?

Measure your targets by height and width, if both come up pretty close then you split the difference, figure in your angle cosign and shoot your dope. If height and width are way off from each other either the target is angled and you gota figure in the cosign for that to make them match up. Also try to confirm with your naked eye, if you get a reading of 640yds/m, look at the target and use range est to see if you think it is that far away. Of course everything on the mountain kind of looks far far away!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lizzardking308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who all is shooting in the first time shooters comp September 19-20? </div></div>

shootone
oneshot 976

I CANT WAIT!!!!

We still have a handfull of ASC data collection pages available.

You can get them in the shooting sport specific section of our web site!!!

All the above PLUS-

1- Practice saying "I'm sooo glad to be here"
2- Wipe that ASC grin off your face and start milling the damn target!!

[img:center]http://
2z4btc2.jpg
[/img]

2ps0tuc.jpg
[/img]

2571u34.jpg
[/img]

[img:center]
33ufujs.jpg
[/img]

Jim calling a first round hit [img:center]http://
2drw5mw.jpg
[/img]

Waiting list for now, there's always hope......

Jon, I forgot to add-

#3- Look at the ManChild Brad Lester and say "damn that boy's a biggun'!!

sigh........maybe next year!!!
ASC is definately on my "to do" list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lizzardking308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who all is shooting in the first time shooters comp September 19-20? </div></div>
I'll be there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lizzardking308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who all is shooting in the first time shooters comp September 19-20? </div></div>
I'll be there. </div></div>

SP260 and I are driving over, and I'm really looking forward to this opportunity.

Nomad - Thanks for the reminder, I had meant to place that order earlier....

Cheers,

Bill

So it looks like:

shootone
oneshot 976
SP260
WRM
Smokin
Lizzardking308
Mike4045
19Scout77
Rijndael
Red SC

Anyone else?

This will be my first time there, may not hit anything, but I will still be smiling!

If you want to pick up some easy points, learn to shoot with a shot timer. Lots of folks drop a large # of points because the idiot switch gets turned on when the timer beeps.

Be able to shoot 400yd from the setting unsupported. Thats a big point drop for me with a 26"tube + suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be able to shoot 400yd from the setting unsupported. Thats a big point drop for me with a 26"tube + suppressor.</div></div>

Dance the Lindy is my favorite ... I got lucky and cleaned it last time. Lightening won't strike the same place twice, right?
smile.gif

+1 for smiling!! I'm already getting gear together.

Nomad is there still data sheets available?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lizzardking308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So it looks like:

shootone
oneshot 976
SP260
WRM
Smokin
Lizzardking308
Mike4045

Anyone else? </div></div>

I'll be there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lizzardking308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So it looks like:

shootone
oneshot 976
SP260
WRM
Smokin
Lizzardking308
Mike4045
19Scout77

Anyone else? </div></div>

Me, too.

i'll be there. smiling

Yes there are sets available!!

Just received my sets the other day,very quick shipping,and they look great!
Thanks Tony!

My number 1 tip. Consideration of temperature and barometer changes for your dope would be advisable. (Density altitude, whispers in the wind)
Second number 1 tip. Learn and be ready to follow up shot 1 with shot2, etc, ASAP without coming up off your weapon.

Angles will be around. Expect to say: You expect me to hit that??? a few times as you squint to see the target. Shoot in rain, shoot in wind. Many skills will be tested. If you are bringing a 308 to the mountain, ballistics will beat you if you choose your bullet poorly when competing.

I don't know anything about such things though.
wink.gif
Wait where'd my beer go??? Good luck!!!
grin.gif

If you are bringing a 308 to the mountain, ballistics will beat you if you choose your bullet poorly when competing

But as long as I have good ballistic tables at my 900ft elev range in 80 temps .... I will be good to go right..... right?
smile.gif

And I read that with these 155s the angles arent all that important... it's also true isn't it?

Just a heads up I have received a few emails over the weekend asking if we have more ASC pages left and yes we do have them in stock.

So if you need them you can either order a premade book then add 3 sets of pages which would be enough to cover 60 drills. They usually shoot between 45-50 drills so you will have a few pages left over for your next trip there.

Or you can order a modular book and use 3 of your choices for the ASC pages.

thanks to all the guys that ordered thema nd I would love some feedback on how they worked for you and for those that didnt get any you can visit with Marty, Moon, or George Gardner they will all have them.

Happy Shooting

Looks like maybe some rain for friday. Any other special items to bring?

Be sure to bring your adult beverage of choice of Friday & Saturday night!

Getting close, can't wait!!!

By looking at the roster, it looks to be an awsome weekend...

I can't remember the round count for the life of me.
For whatever reason 200 sounds like a safe load bet for both days combined.
Anyone have a better count?

when you leave the barn in the morning you won't be back so pack a self sufficient loan w food and drink for the day. layers as it can get cool in the morning.

round count will differ both days, you'll get those Friday night, but would say ~150 should suffice, also depends on how often you miss.
wink.gif

160 rounds is usually adequate for both days, that would be the max, if you never got a first round hit.

I have missed maybe one ASC since 2005, and my data book shows 105 to 110 rounds to shoot the whole match, every time, so unless something changes drastically..... 160 is plenty.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL,
(Except all you fuckers I'm shooting against the 2nd weekend, LOL)

Marc

Leaving out in the a.m. guys. Looking forward to a good time and a chance to meet you all.

Have fun guys, I had to pass on this match.

Home the new guys are having a good time.
It seemed like a priceless opportunity to get some quality training.

The alumni shoot next week is going to be a blast!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marc357</div><div class="ubbcode-body">160 rounds is usually adequate for both days, that would be the max, if you never got a first round hit.</div></div>
91 on the high leg, 60 on the hollow.

Bunch of new drills.
smirk.gif