• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision TNVC and Steiner Introduce a New Very Affordable Feature Rich C1 IR Laser!

I'm not seeing elevation/ windage screws.... like the advertisement. I've got one ordered, to be delivered to my nephews house in Phoenix tomorrow. I'll be there on Wednesday.

I'm not seeing elevation/ windage screws.... like the advertisement. I've got one ordered, to be delivered to my nephews house in Phoenix tomorrow. I'll be there on Wednesday.
It has them. You can see the windage screw in the last pic.

Obviously, fine adjustments are gonna be hard...it's at home on a pistol, not really impressed as a rifle laser right now. The laser itself is great though and the price is great too.

I found this video and it seems like Steiner made this before tnvc branded it. The major difference is their mini was a visible laser vs IR. The profile and everything else looks the same.

Steiner rep in the video makes it seem like it was never intended to be used on a rifle hence the lack of fine tuned adjustment. Tnvc took an already existing product, swapped out the visible for an IR laser, then marketed it as a simple/low cost IR laser that reduces profile on a rifle and also works on a pistol.

I just don’t understand why tnvc didn’t try to work with steiner on improving something like the OTAL instead. Pistol lasers are way less popular than rifles for NV, so why bother trying to repurpose a pistol laser to work on a rifle? Cost? Higher margins?

I found this video and it seems like Steiner made this before tnvc branded it. The major difference is their mini was a visible laser vs IR. The profile and everything else looks the same.

Steiner rep in the video makes it seem like it was never intended to be used on a rifle hence the lack of fine tuned adjustment. Tnvc took an already existing product, swapped out the visible for an IR laser, then marketed it as a simple/low cost IR laser that reduces profile on a rifle and also works on a pistol.

I just don’t understand why tnvc didn’t try to work with steiner on improving something like the OTAL instead. Pistol lasers are way less popular than rifles for NV, so why bother trying to repurpose a pistol laser to work on a rifle? Cost? Higher margins?

Hi,

The TOR was actually drawn up years before that 2019 video with TNVC and Steiner. Both the micro and the TOR for that matter with Laser Devices before Steiner aquired them.
(Aslo note, the TOR was also getting diplayed on rifles in their booth as well during that time at the 2018, 2019 and the 2020 Shot Show .

Long before this I had many meetings with their engineering up in Monterey Ca years back on a slew of products. Part of the large delay to release this product several years back was that acquisition and the fact that the entire Monterey operation was shut down and moved to Ohio to restart the entire line with 95% of the engineering staff and employees deciding not to go to Ohio. You can imagine all those products (including) the TOR-Mini's), the delays this transition actually caused to get a whole new manufacturing team spun up.

After that 2019 video you posted, a decision was made to actuallty drop the Micro and just continue the TOR in both Visible and IR, that was always the plan since the onset. Us being a NV company, it was a easy decision for us to market the IR portion and Steiner the visible portion since they have a MUCH wider reach in the visible type market, this wasn't any IR "rebranding " like that, or some afterthoughts.

The plan was always for the visible to release first, than follow on with the IR, but not two years later... Steiner is a busy company with many other projects were ongoing and NV believe or not is still a VERY niche product and visible products sell 10-1 over all our little NV world of products.

As for improving the OTAL, the TOR-Mini is a stand alone low cost consumer product with a very small footprint device the market needed for a long time. We knew folks would use the TOR for both *as so many have done with some Surefire stuff) , with pistols, brace type machine pistols (popping up everywhere) as well as rifles and SBR types. It works very well for its intended purposes with no bells and whistles like that. We've actually wanted a variable power C1 since they first were introduced due to the .7mW still being too bright for closer range work without IR Lum.

As for product improvements and other products with Steiner, I can tell you the future is very bright with Steiner and TNVC.

Thanks for the post and hope the background and history of the TOR helps a bit.

Last edited:
Bevo.... my mounting screw is just like yours. Must be improved from old double screw system?

I didn't find zeroing to be tough. Since it is not offset to the optic, like so many lasers, dry zeroing is a lot easier. I found that before I even took a shot I was within a few inches at 120 meters, which is kind of as precise as you can be with one of these things anyway.

Hi,

The TOR was actually drawn up years before that 2019 video with TNVC and Steiner. Both the micro and the TOR for that matter with Laser Devices before Steiner aquired them.
(Aslo note, the TOR was also getting diplayed on rifles in their booth as well during that time at the 2018, 2019 and the 2020 Shot Show .

Long before this I had many meetings with their engineering up in Monterey Ca years back on a slew of products. Part of the large delay to release this product several years back was that acquisition and the fact that the entire Monterey operation was shut down and moved to Ohio to restart the entire line with 95% of the engineering staff and employees deciding not to go to Ohio. You can imagine all those products (including) the TOR-Mini's), the delays this transition actually caused to get a whole new manufacturing team spun up.

After that 2019 video you posted, a decision was made to actuallty drop the Micro and just continue the TOR in both Visible and IR, that was always the plan since the onset. Us being a NV company, it was a easy decision for us to market the IR portion and Steiner the visible portion since they have a MUCH wider reach in the visible type market, this wasn't any IR "rebranding " like that, or some afterthoughts.

The plan was always for the visible to release first, than follow on with the IR, but not two years later... Steiner is a busy company with many other projects were ongoing and NV believe or not is still a VERY niche product and visible products sell 10-1 over all our little NV world of products.

As for improving the OTAL, the TOR-Mini is a stand alone low cost consumer product with a very small footprint device the market needed for a long time. We knew folks would use the TOR for both *as so many have done with some Surefire stuff) , with pistols, brace type machine pistols (popping up everywhere) as well as rifles and SBR types. It works very well for its intended purposes with no bells and whistles like that. We've actually wanted a variable power C1 since they first were introduced due to the .7mW still being too bright for closer range work without IR Lum.

As for product improvements and other products with Steiner, I can tell you the future is very bright with Steiner and TNVC.

Thanks for the post and hope the background and history of the TOR helps a bit.

Class act response and thanks for the info..I'm excited to see what's coming down the road

So when is next batch of tor's due in stock ?

Another large batch arrived. We now (FINALLY) have some great inventory on these and our dealers will also start to offer these. They have been selling incredibly fast .

We let a student run one in our class this past week at Vortex Edge. Worked like a champ, and in his particular case, fit perfectly:

IMG_6887_JPG-1561840.jpg

IMG_6888_JPG-1561841.jpg

Reactions: Edgecrusher
We also have an Night Fighter 101 AAR coming from this amazing Vortex facility from this past weekends training we will post up.

Hi Vic,

Placed order this morning, backordered. Any idea on when your next shipment will come in?

I have a few buddies looking to check this out when I get it. Might be ordering a handful after that. I fully expect that is going to be the case, really.

Thanks!
Steve

Hi Vic,

Placed order this morning, backordered. Any idea on when your next shipment will come in?

I have a few buddies looking to check this out when I get it. Might be ordering a handful after that. I fully expect that is going to be the case, really.

Thanks!
Steve
Hi, had a very large batch that sold out last week. Another batch due in this week. Sorry for the delay, we're doing our best to keep up with the very large demand. Thank you and I will update here when the next batch is complete.

Largest batch yet just came off the assembly line. We're thinking with the holiday, they should be on our shelves no later than next Tuesday. Thank you.

I just got mine. Up until now I just used my “14” for navigating. However, the I gottahave bug bit and I convinced myself that I needed an ir laser. I didn’t want (or need) these big things on my rail and wasnt gonna spend 2000k-ish on a MAWL. It’s small, compact, and lightweight and puts a small little ir dot right where I want it. Right now it’s on the top rail of my sbr (DD mk18 upper). I haven’t gone critter blasting with it yet..... but I think I might have to get a few more....Yay technology for poors!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Edgecrusher
I just got mine. Up until now I just used my “14” for navigating. However, the I gottahave bug bit and I convinced myself that I needed an ir laser. I didn’t want (or need) these big things on my rail and wasnt gonna spend 2000k-ish on a MAWL. It’s small, compact, and lightweight and puts a small little ir dot right where I want it. Right now it’s on the top rail of my sbr (DD mk18 upper). I haven’t gone critter blasting with it yet..... but I think I might have to get a few more....Yay technology for poors!!!!
Very glad you like the TOR and thank you for your business! We have more in stock on the shelves as well. Thanks again!

Full rate production is flowing well. Good amount of units are now in stock for immediate shipping!

Thank you for all the orders!

Ok it has been a few months. I want to get one but would like to know if anyone feels the need to add more reviews and comments? How well does it hold ZERO?

Last edited:
Reactions: stefan73
Ok it has been a few months. I want to get one but would like to know if anyone feels the need to add more reviews and comments? How well does it hold ZERO?
Bumping for the same reason

Mine is on an SBR wearing a thermal, it is used for quick shots on moving targets at close range (usually 10-75 yards.) In that role, it has held up well. Battery life is still unknown, still on first battery. I do activation when needed.

For the money, I am happy. If more range and precision is needed, grab a different tool.

I want to share my cautionary tale. Great product, so no slam here. But I goofed and hope you don't.

The mounting screws are flat heads and the manual doesn't give a torque spec. It actually says to use an allen wrench so I think the design has evolved and the manual is still catching up.

I over did it on the torque though, I thought the screw was thicker than it really is. Should of been 12 in lbs as I learned from Steiner.

I contacted Steiner and they are working on getting me replacements. Might take some time but I'm sure they will hook me up.

Below is from Steiner if anyone wants details.

Thank you for contacting Steiner Optics Customer Service. Apologies for the delay we are working remotely due to Covid restrictions and we are catching up on communication. Internal communication is also affected by the restrictions.

The TOR Mini IR is exclusive to TNVC... We do not even stock them. Made in Germany, serviced in Germany, sent direct from Germany. That said If - a big if - we may have a screw from another unit. We have not been supplied with Steiner Laser products and are currently being told that only Germany can repair them. That said we have gotten screws from them but it takes a full import cycle to get them due to EU trade agreements.

If turner has a few on hand I would try to go that route but I have forwarded this case to the Steiner brand manager to get it moving.

That said the cross bolts for the TOR's are 12 inch pounds

Attachments

• 16073882777765421629323611168395.jpg
    16073882777765421629323611168395.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 16073883246633151398993828491912.jpg
    16073883246633151398993828491912.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: stefan73
Did you crank down on them or were you tightening it and this happened?

Not sure the difference between cranking down and tightening, but I thought I was applying moderate torque. It looks like the old style used a small allen wrench that probably started to bend before too much torque could be done. And you would use your fingers and that's it.

I was using a set of gunsmiths screwdrivers so I had a big solid handle and used my hand. I also thought the screw was reasonably thick, looking at the shaft below the head. If you look at the picture you can see the screw itself is much thinner.

It's not a weak design, I just over did it. It needs 12 in lbs, many scope rings use 65 in lbs for the rail mount.

I spoke with Teddy at TNVC and their is a place in Ohio for Repairs, so it sounds like turn around should not be too bad. It also sounds like I'm not the only who has snapped a screw, so I dont feel quite as stupid. ; )

There is no way to adjust the laser with poa /poi correct? More geared towards a pointer for others reference?

I recently purchased this laser. Here are my initial thoughts:

1) perfect size for my 300lk SBR with limited rail space
2) lightweight
3) can be activated with either hand
4) no indicator to know if the laser is on or off when not wearing nods
5) there's no tactile feel of when the laser is on or off which makes #4 even more frustrating
6) there's no off switch to prevent #4 and #5 from being an issue. You would have to just remove the battery
7) lock up to the rail seems solid
8) I think having three laser settings isn't that functional. I either use low or high.
9) the adjustment screws are more loose than I would've expected. On a subsonic 300blk, it shouldn't have a problem maintaining zero. It only takes a little bit of pressure on the allen key to move those screws.
10) the instruction manual hasn't been updated with the new screws. In order to not break the mounting screws like the previous poster, I did not even reach 12in/lbs on my wheeler torque wrench. I felt like they were going to break before that. However, it has zero slop on the rail.

My main frustration with this unit is not knowing if it's on or not when not wearing nods. Even handling the rifle I am paranoid that the switch got bumped and it's on draining the battery. Not sure why the auto off was set to 5 minutes...it could've been <1 minute to conserve battery. I know they set out to build an affordable IR laser pointer, and I don't know what it would cost to have an LED power indicator on the back of the housing but it would certainly be a game changer if that alone was fixed. Everything else I can deal with given the price point.

Reactions: ddavis
I think a separate battery kill switch like a slider would be nice. Not sure I like the idea of a visible indicator, if going tactical that could give away location.

Reactions: jwramp
I think a separate battery kill switch like a slider would be nice. Not sure I like the idea of a visible indicator, if going tactical that could give away location.

Ummmm what? You realize the led indicator the size of a pin head is all you need. Doesn’t have to be a large bright bulb. The mawl and DBAL A3 have it

No I didn't. I was imagining something bright enough to see in sunlight would be noticed at night.

All units in stock and shipping daily. We had a slight back order right after Christmas, but all caught up now! Thank you to all whom have ordered. We appreciate your business and trust with your hard earned dollar!

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I wanted to make sure the Snipers Hide NV community knows that we have not forgotten about this.

Steiner and TNVC are working towards a solution for the TOR-MINI-IR holster compatibility issue.

Part of this process involves testing a very large variety of holsters. The unprecedented level of demand for products such as holsters is delaying the speed of this process.

We will let you know as soon as we have more information to share.

:)

I need to get a railed 1911 to have that problem, or I could just slap one on my USP 45. I wonder if a matchweight holster would support a TOR? I might have to try it and let you know.

I need to get a railed 1911 to have that problem, or I could just slap one on my USP 45. I wonder if a matchweight holster would support a TOR? I might have to try it and let you know.
I have tried some holsters I have for other laser lights or soft side, and they tend to press the buttons and kill the battery.
This may require a purpose built solution.

Can someone tell me how high does it stick up above the rail, not total height just above the rail measurement. Thanks

Can someone tell me how high does it stick up above the rail, not total height just above the rail measurement. Thanks
Looks like barely over 1"

Attachments

• 16232851821108588934749414074737.jpg
    16232851821108588934749414074737.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 58