• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To 5R or not to 5R

Novak77

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2018
So I've got a little money burning a hole in my pocket. EuroOptics has Remi 700 BAs in .308 with a 5R barrel for $520ish.

I don't really need one and I'm more of a Sako/Tikka guy. However they do say variety is the spice of life or something to that affect.

I'd probably throw it in a $500ish stock or chassis put some random scope on it and use it for 100-500 paper and steel.

Help me blow some $$$ lol.

I've had good success (solid 1/2 - 3/4 moa) with several of the Remington 700 5R barreled actions in both long and short. If you're goal is to venture down the builders path, this is not a terrible starting point and it allows someone to make mistakes with parts that are planned to be replaced. Get the actioned barrel, find a nice chassis to install it in, then start shooting with the goal of burning the barrel out. Once (and if) you push the limits of that system, upgrade trigger, then upgrade action/barrel to one of the variety of great actions available (Nucleus, Origin, Surgeon, etc.). The existing R700 barreled action can then be installed in another stock/chassis and kept as a spare or passed along to a friend.

Reactions: Novak77
Why not upgrade one of your current rifles?

Why add a mediocre rifle to the collection when you can upgrade one you've already got?

Anything Remington factory made is overrated these days...seen another 700 brand new last week with 0 rear extraction camming action. Might help their bankruptcy woes if they could weld the bolt handles in the correct spot.

Last edited:
I bought 3 of them for my kids when they came of age. All of them shot solid 1/2 MOA with FGMM. I couldn't help not messing with them and spent extra $$ on having the barrels fluted to improve the wt. and balance, had them recrowned with an 11/60 target crown, actions bedded and the triggers reworked and tuned to 2.0 lbs. This improved each one of them to solid 3/8 - 1/2 MOA rifles. All in all I have $1,400 into each - they work, they shoot and I should have put my $$ into powder and bullets.

The trouble with any gun that sort of shoots is that it is hard not to fiddle with them to get them to really shoot.

And the kids would much rather spray and pray with an AR ...

I would skip it... if you're looking to spend 1000 then I would look hard at a PVA tikka barrel and save the rest.

They aren't what they used to be the older ones shoot well but I am not sure about the new stuff.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Seems like I should just get another TRG or start a Tikka build.

If this is going to turn into a trash remington thread then I'm in! But if it's all you can afford then take the risk. But when your 1k in you might as well pick up anything else.

For story sake, back when I worked at cabelas... I sold a Chinese guy a SPS on a Thursday or Friday, that weekend I hit the range and bumped into the same chinamen sighting in his rifle. So I watched from a distance as he took the first shot. He closed the bolt and the gun went off. Good thing he knew his firearms safety and had the gun shouldered and down range.

You can choose who to blame this one on, the first time gun owner not cleaning his new gun? Remington for putting out a gun that isn't safe and ready to shoot?

I wouldn't mind if remington died out at this point. But I don't really care if they survive either.

I had a 5r that shot amazing. However, if I was buying a factory gun today it wouldn't be a Remington

Remington 5r rifles shoot including the new ones. I have one i purchased new last year ( gen1 20”). With factory fgmm 175gr it is a reliable 5/8” rifle. I traded a 24” rifle on here that shoots 175gr below 3/4” and 168gr amax in one big hole. My old man has a gen1 24” that shoots the same. I would have no hesitation picking up another. MOST of the critics havent seen any problems themselves. They are just repeating the internet.

My first rifle was a Remington 700 with a 5R barrel. Honestly, if I did my part, it shot 1/2 MOA. Was on the 5R train after that...until Mark at Accurate Ordnance talked me into a Brux barrel. It might be best to spend the money elsewhere if the current scuttlebutt on Remington rifles is correct.

Let us know what you decided.

If you just want a cheap factory rifle and arent going to dump loads of money into it to make it a custom then go for it. My 5R 308 shot great with 175SMK and 178 Amax.

Now if you plan to have it trued/blueprinted, custom barrel, bolt fitted, coated, etc then save your money and grab a Bighorn Origin. You will have a much better action from the start and spend less than trying to make the 700 right.

My 5R didnt shoot the greatest with Factory Ammo but shot lights out with handloads.

I have a 5R Gen2 that I have been more than happy with. Looking back, the only thing I would change is to get a 24" barrel instead of the 20". But no regrets other than that.

Reactions: wade2big
I looked into this, the general consensus seems to be that 5R rifling didn't seem to help as long as it was from the same barrel source, Since most 5R barrels are from custom barrel makers, it's easy to see why they might have a good reputation for accuracy. I don't know where Remington gets their barrels from, but the 5R barrels are on higher end guns only, so comparing the accuracy of one of them vs some 700 from the Walmart rack is not a good comparison.