• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing To Break In or Not To Break In.That is Question

Aussie_Shooter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2007
Australia
I have been trying to do my research regarding break in procedure and even if it is warranted. Some say not to break in and others say to break in. What do the Law enforcement or Military shooters do?
I ask this because out of all the shooting done, I feel that this avenue would probably have the most research and best practices implemented.
My gunsmith put a new Krieger barrel in and don't want excessive fouling to occur and on that note if I do decide to follow the breakin process how can I tell if there is fouling in the barrel so I know when to use solvent and a copper brush down it?

Re: To Break In or Not To Break In.That is Question

Scroll up to the second thread in this forum titled "Objective Research on Barrel Break-in" - read, digest, enjoy.

^+1.

There are also lots of posts on this, I myself decided it was unnecessary.

a Krieger is lapped.. nothing to "break in" other then the throat, this will self happen in 50 to 100 shots