• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing To deep throat or not to deep throat....

chain

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
MI USA
Getting a rebarrel done on the trusty old 300 win, the smith resides here, Benchmark barrel 1-10" 26". It shoots 210 Bergers jammed in the lands well now. I load longer than the magazine box ( it has been extended) will accept. Should I standard throat the barrel? Go deeper? Thoughts? Thanks Guys

Re: To deep throat or not to deep throat....

I don't know how to respond to your thread title!

Throat appears to be the thought of the day.

You're starting with a new barrel ? Why not set it up so you can run mag feedable hand loads ? Dbm is an expensive upgrade if it's just for looks. (imo)

In my expirience a deep throat is needed...for me anyways...lol

According to UCMJ, i'm suppose to say no...

The guy that is doing my work is probably laughing his ass off. I guess I should have said deep chamber or standard chamber?

I want to load teh 208s super long in '06 (3.515) so I mocked up a cartridge sans powder and primer and sent it in to PTG and said "build a reamer that will put this cartridge .015" off the lands". That is the way to go IMO if you want a chamber tailored to one bullet, especially one that is longer than most.