• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To FL resize new brass or not????

Benchguy57

Minuteman
Feb 12, 2014
St. Louis Missouri
I've read so many articles on the subject I don't know which way is up anymore.

I'm not talking about win,rem,fed,ect brass.
I'm speaking about Nosler,Norma,I think they are the same mfg. Lapua and brands of the like.

I bought a box of Lapua .308 brass that I've waited to load due to mixed opinions.

Any help greatly appreciated.

GGIII.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With new brass, I always run them through the sizing die with the expander ball. It has been my experience that Lapua necks are extremely tight and need neck sizing with the expander ball to get correct neck tension. It doesn't really matter whether it's a neck or FL die.

I've read so many articles on the subject I don't know which way is up anymore.

I'm not talking about win,rem,fed,ect brass.
I'm speaking about Nosler,Norma,I think they are the same mfg. Lapua and brands of the like.

I bought a box of Lapua .308 brass that I've waited to load due to mixed opinions.

Any help greatly appreciated.

GGIII.

I did not FL size my Lapua brass, just ran it thru NS die with 334 bushing, worked fine as is. Try chambering them and if you can close the bolt with no drag you're gtg, I only FL size for browning rifles, they have tight chambers.

For like 30$, a lee collet die will solve not only the need for messy lube and fl sizing, straightening necks, but will kill run out, and basically do all the prep work needed when it comes to a die. I just took a lock ring off an rcbs die and set it to where I'm getting the best tension/ accuracy and ROLL WITH IT

Oh, my. This question seems to be recycled every few months. Do you think the brass they sell you for reloading is any different than the brass they load cartridges with? Of the 30+ cartridges I reload for, there are only 2 cartridges for which I resize new brass:

1. I had to resize 460 S&W Magnum brass or the bullets in the cylinder would move under recoil even with a heavy crimp.

2. I had to flare 9mm Parabellum brass so I could get flat based bullets to seat without crushing the case but certainly didn't resize them.

I've loaded thousands of rounds and other than those 2 examples I have never done anything with new brass other than to load them. Occasionally you'll fine a case mouth too dented to load without running it through a die but that would amount to no more than one or two cases in any 100 case lot I've ever used. In all the years I've loaded, I also on inspection found maybe 2 or 3 cases where the flash hole was WAY off to the side of the primer pocket so I'm not saying to not inspect cases but am saying that resizing new brass of any description is usually a waste of time.

For like 30$, a lee collet die will solve not only the need for messy lube and fl sizing, straightening necks, but will kill run out, and basically do all the prep work needed when it comes to a die. I just took a lock ring off an rcbs die and set it to where I'm getting the best tension/ accuracy and ROLL WITH IT
It's surprising how well those Lee collet dies work. It's about all I resize with in 223.