• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To Lasik, or not to Lasik....

Re: To Lasik, or not to Lasik....

I had PRK done in March 2008 at Camp Lejuene and my experience mirrors what many other here have posted. Within a month of the surgery I was at 20/15 and I have been there ever since. It was truly a life changing event after 20 years of wearing glasses and contacts. I can't recommend it enough.

Very good info in here guys, thanks! Always nice to hear so much positive feedback, especially from shooters. I've been considering this for a while, just waiting to see where the technology goes, and making sure my eyes have stopped "growing". I found this FAQ to be very educational, as well: http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/asksurgeon.htm#age

Ten years ago I had my eyes done. As a kid I had 20/13 vision that in my late teens went to 20/400. I wore glasses until I was sick of them, and then looked in to Laser surgery. Not sure which version I had, but I went to Kremer Laser Eye Center in King of Prussia, PA. They are the best in the Delaware Valley.
I went for a free screening, and they informed me that I was a perfect candidate for the procedure, and the results should be spectacular. They outlined several different packages---different levels of follow-up care, as in number of years for free adjustments, etc. They helped me obtain financing.
I had the procedure, and never looked back. They got me to 20/13 again. Ten years later, people still call me eagle-eyes, as I can see things many can't.
Do your research on the doctors, and get the screening. Then, talk about options, and make your decision. Find out the track record on infection from the eye center you choose. Find out how often they have incidents, and how well did they correct the problem. For instance, Kremer had at the time done tens of thousands of procedures---in fact were in on the development of many of the technologies and procedures---and only had one incident of infection. They were able to catch it and treat it, and the patient had excellent recovery and good eyesight in the end.
Find out if your center of choice has "quarentined" operating theaters. This is important, as the threat of infection is much reduced over a walk-in type operation. Infection is the greatest problem that is faced in having Laser eye correction. A good facility has very low incidence of infection. They often cost more, but it's worth it. Who can put a price tag on good eyesight???
Good Luck

I ad it dome last year (free thanks to LASIKplus and the wounded warrior project) and can't say enough good about it. Ill recommend it to anybody. Easy process and well worth it. I didn't have dry eyes or anything

Been thinking about this myself have been wearing contacts the last three years Could not stand glasses always dirty and hard for me to weld when wearing so contacts have been great but always have dust to contend with, so maybe I will check this out

Anybody have the implantable contacts done? I have been looking at lasik and the phakic iol s and like the idea of not altering the eye itself.

I've had mine done for 3years now and could be more happy its been worth every penny besides in shooting I can see clearly at night now no more halos signs and lights

I'm debating this myself, I'm 31. My biggest problem is astigmatisms in both eyes. I don't know what 20/20 thing I am I just know my contacts are -1.25 and -1.75 in the power range. Has anyone had it done that had astigmatisms?

I'm 30 and had mine done a little over 2 years ago. My eyes were in the -5.5 to -5.75, so basically can't see shit and had astigmatisms in both eyes. I had the iLasik proceedure because I am also a pilot and it was approved by the FAA,NASA, and the Navy, so I was still going to be able to fly. I only took two days off to be fully recovered. I have had no problems at all and it is a great feeling to wake up and see my alarm clock without putting it two inches away from face.

I had it done about 18 years ago. Was around 20/450 with 1.75 astigmatism in each eye. Worked great. Had a touch-up about two years ago, at age 49. Went with one eye burned for distance, one for close. Works fine.

I don't regret doing either procedure at all.

Rick

First Job out of college was running a LASIK Vision Institute in Columbus, OH. I had my eyes rejuvinated in 2000 (was legally blind w/ 2.75 astigamtism in each eye at the time). Watched about 500 proceedures standing next ot the D.O. before having my eyes done.
it took 28 seconds total to correct both eyes. Next day at followup was 20/30, one week later 20/20. Still to this day 20/20. I do not regret having the proceedure done, probably one of the best decisions i've ever made. Nothing scary to it, in fact my wife just had hers done 18 months ago & she couldn't be happier about her decision either. she's 20/10 now. The only words of advice that i have is for the people that are questioning having the proceedure done, is have an idea of what you wish to accomplish by having your eyes corrected.
what i mean is, if you are at the age of 40+ you will have the likelyhood of presbyopia setting in. There is no cure for it. its just like your balls hanging lower as you get older. i would say 90% of the people that had their eyes corrected for presbyopia (didn't want to wear any form of corrective lenses) complained about their depth perception bothering them or had to come back and have their farsighted eye corrected. If you are just having the proceedure to try to do away with reading specs, it may not be the proceedure for you. if you are nearsighted & tired of wearing contacts/glasses, it will change your life, granted you have a cornea thickness that will allow for full correction. Another note to self is, don't go with the cheapest advertised price. it is like buying good glass for your rifle, you may get what you pay for. being that God only gave you one set of eyes, do your due diligence wisely and pick the most/best qualified refractive surgeon you can. Pic one that offers free touchups if necessary. you will probably pay a little more, but it is better than having to pay for the proceedure twice. if anyone has any questions, I would be happy to try to answer them.
I actually still talk to the Dr. that corrected my eyes. he's a great man, doesn't like being called DR. He has practices in Florida, Indiana, Illinois & Kentucky. Dr. Marty Berger Florida LASIK Surgery - Dr. Martin E. Burger, LASIK Surgeon - LASIK in Gainsville, Orlando, Tampa/Clearwater, Ocala, Jacksonville, Coral Springs, Inverness, The Villages and Boca/Lighthouse

First Job out of college was running a LASIK Vision Institute in Columbus, OH. I had my eyes rejuvinated in 2000 (was legally blind w/ 2.75 astigamtism in each eye at the time). Watched about 500 proceedures standing next ot the D.O. before having my eyes done.
it took 28 seconds total to correct both eyes. Next day at followup was 20/30, one week later 20/20. Still to this day 20/20. I do not regret having the proceedure done, probably one of the best decisions i've ever made. Nothing scary to it, in fact my wife just had hers done 18 months ago & she couldn't be happier about her decision either. she's 20/10 now. The only words of advice that i have is for the people that are questioning having the proceedure done, is have an idea of what you wish to accomplish by having your eyes corrected.
what i mean is, if you are at the age of 40+ you will have the likelyhood of presbyopia setting in. There is no cure for it. its just like your balls hanging lower as you get older. i would say 90% of the people that had their eyes corrected for presbyopia (didn't want to wear any form of corrective lenses) complained about their depth perception bothering them or had to come back and have their farsighted eye corrected. If you are just having the proceedure to try to do away with reading specs, it may not be the proceedure for you. if you are nearsighted & tired of wearing contacts/glasses, it will change your life, granted you have a cornea thickness that will allow for full correction. Another note to self is, don't go with the cheapest advertised price. it is like buying good glass for your rifle, you may get what you pay for. being that God only gave you one set of eyes, do your due diligence wisely and pick the most/best qualified refractive surgeon you can. Pic one that offers free touchups if necessary. you will probably pay a little more, but it is better than having to pay for the proceedure twice. if anyone has any questions, I would be happy to try to answer them.
I actually still talk to the Dr. that corrected my eyes. he's a great man, doesn't like being called DR. He has practices in Florida, Indiana, Illinois & Kentucky. Dr. Marty Berger Florida LASIK Surgery - Dr. Martin E. Burger, LASIK Surgeon - LASIK in Gainsville, Orlando, Tampa/Clearwater, Ocala, Jacksonville, Coral Springs, Inverness, The Villages and Boca/Lighthouse

I'm interested. I live in Ocala. They have an office here? My vision is 20/100 and has been for 20 years. I'm sick of glasses. I can see close fine. I'm 42, sound like a good candidate to you?

Long time lurker, first time poster here and believe it or not, this thread caused me to register, simply because I feel so strongly about it.

I had my procedure at Casey Eye Center at Oregon Health Sciences University, in Portland. They are nationally renowned as one of the premier LASIK/PRK centers and my mom happened to know the lead doc there. My eyesight at that time (2010) was bad but not legally blind by any means. To give you guys some reference, by duck hunting buddies called be the "lady killer" because I shot so many hens mistakenly due to my vision. That was reason enough to pony up.

The doc explained that I had the option between Lasik and PRK. He asked about my lifestyle, activities, etc. and recommended PRK. His summary was that there's a reason that the military traditionally did PRK at that time--it's more painful but equally accurate and definitely more durable. I was willing to risk a little short term "discomfort" and did the procedure a month later. Important to note you cannot wear contacts for a month prior to the surgery.

The surgery was painless but it is a bit weird smelling your eyes burning! I went straight back to my buddy's house that I was staying at, shut my eyes and took the valium he had prescribed, along with a vicodin. An hour or so later I awoke, and walked outside.

Although the sunlight was nearly blinding at that point, it was literally like seeing the world for the first time in many ways. I could see details, colors and a lot of little things around me that I had simply never seen or more likely had forgotten. I flew home the next day and that's when the pain kicked in. HOLEE-$%#@, it hurt. Even with my eyes closed, it was like somebody taking sandpaper to my eyeballs. I called my doctor to make sure it was normal. He said it was not necessarily normal, but also no reason for concern. At his instruction, I went to a local opthomologist who had a quick look and confirmed my corneas were simply healing. The next two days were hell. On the fifth day, I woke up and it was like it never happened--my eyes felt fine. I went outside (I live in a canyon in the mountains) and just looked around for a good 30 minutes. I could see elk on the opposite hillside from my house! I could see birds flying, all sorts of stuff.

The net result is I went from fairly vision impaired (even with contacts) to 20/10. And you know what? I haven't shot a single hen since.

Do it. Save up, do what you have to do, but do yourself the biggest favor you possibly can in terms of an investment and get it done. Best decision I've ever made.

Revenge, you would be easily corrected to 20/20 or better. The only thing to keep in mind is what I mentioned about presbyopia. It is inevitable. The muscles in your eyes loose their ability to focus up close as you continue to age. Worst case is, you will have to carry around some $2 walmart readers to do up close work (within arms length) at some point in your near future. Marty does the procedures in all of his locations listed. So, you are in luck. He lived in Florida before he became a refractive surgeon. He retired once @ 30yrs old as a stockbroker, got board, went back to med school & became a refractive surgeon. He is a very interesting, hard working, personable, brilliant dude. He makes all his own follow up visits & calls to his patients. I wouldn't hesitate to go have a consultation done, it's free.

I had PRK done in March 2008 at Camp Lejuene and my experience mirrors what many other here have posted. Within a month of the surgery I was at 20/15 and I have been there ever since. It was truly a life changing event after 20 years of wearing glasses and contacts. I can't recommend it enough.

I wish to hell it had been available before I was a young grunt. I used to carry three pairs of glasses (one on my face, one in my right cargo pocket in a hard case, and one in my ruck) because I was roughly 20/300 in my right and 20/400 in my left, if I'd lost my glasses in combat I might as well have sat down and waited for it, because there would have been no telling the friendly blobs from the enemy blobs. It amazed me they let me in at all.

I had LASIK done in 2000, and was corrected to 20/15 in both eyes. As a matter of fact, I had an eye examination yesterday and I STILL have 20/15 in both eyes 13 years later, and I'm not so young any more. Also, I do not need reading glasses or anything like that at all.

BEST thing I ever did. Get an expensive surgeon, not Billy Bob's Bait and Eyebulbs.

The thing that drives me nuts is that my right (shooting) eye is 20/20 and my left is 20/10.

Smelling your own eyeballs getting vaporized... priceless. Get some references and find a good clinic/surgeon.

I had mine done when I was on active duty stationed in WA state. 10+ years ago. I am 42 now. I had wavefront lasik done in Vancouver, BC.
IT is AWESOME!
Only issue for me, and still have it, is starbursts at night. My vision is still better than 20/20 (20/10 left, 20/20 right).

It will not cure the need for reading glasses, that is an age thing.

It's great to hear these first hand accounts. It seems a lot of people are on the fence on committing, largely because of the unknown (me being one of them). Definitely going to try and start funding some savings to get this done eventually. Contact lenses + New Mexico spring winds just isn't a great combo.

Every iron-sight shooter I know, who has had lasik, has gone on to be unable to "see" well, through the sights. We're not talking scope shooters here, but Iron sights. If any of you have had before/after experiences in this specific regard of Iron sights, please let me know? Granted, I'm an old has-been, but I can't bring myself to burn my eyes if it will limit my ability to shoot irons. Need advice. Please help.

Every iron-sight shooter I know, who has had lasik, has gone on to be unable to "see" well, through the sights. We're not talking scope shooters here, but Iron sights. If any of you have had before/after experiences in this specific regard of Iron sights, please let me know? Granted, I'm an old has-been, but I can't bring myself to burn my eyes if it will limit my ability to shoot irons. Need advice. Please help.

While I'm not the most experienced rifleman on this board, I can tell you that I don't have any problems shooting my 30-30, 22 or any of my handguns with iron sights. I'm roughly four years out from having PRK performed. No halos, no dry eyes, no difficulty driving at night--nothing but positive for me. Shit, having spent the last five days turkey hunting in Northern Idaho, I still marvel four years later at how well I can see game at long distances--something I could only dream about beforehand.

Had mine done in Chicago last August and can't recommend it enough. Get yours done from a person who actually performs eye surgery and stay away from LASIK clinics.

Keep in mind, though, that if you are over 40, you will need reading glasses by age 50. My doctor refers to this as the "holy grail" of ophthalmology, and needless to say, nobody has found it yet.

That said, if you're 25, you'll have 15-25 more years of solid vision before this will be an issue.

Even if you're in your 40s, though, getting rid of the nearsightedness might be worth it to you. For me, it was 10-20 years of no glasses that did it for me.

Best money I ever spent. My vision was horrible with over 6 diopters of astigmatism. Research your doctors though - I avoided the big Lasik clinics.

You will still need reading glasses unless you go the "monovision" route where one eye is corrected for reading. That was not an option for me since I have amblyopia.

Last edited:
Everyone I know has always said that it was one of the best (if not the best) choices in their lives. You spend tons of cash and hassle dealing with contacts or glasses. Now the procedure is short and you're out the door. I would get it done if I had bad vision.

DO IT!

I had Lasik done last year and I don't know why I waited as long as I did. I had horrible vision, -9.5 nearsight in both eyes. my last checkup I was still 20/15 in one eye and 20/10 in the other alone, and i could read the 20/10 with both eyes. My Dr. was some thrilled to have a 20/10 come through his office that he decided to mess with me by doing the 20/10 line on a bunch of different slides because he says he never gets to have anyone read that line, ever. Made me feel really good. Best money i've ever spent.

xdeano

Did it 2 years ago.

Best money I've spent on my body, until I discovered Testosterone Replacement Therapy. ;)

I'd do it, again, in a heartbeat.

I've got to agree with everyone else posting on this issue......DO IT!!!!! I had my eyes corrected about 6 years ago and every day I am so thankful for getting it done. I had the Wavefront LASIK done at ClearlyLASIK in Renton, Washington as a Veteran's Appreciation give-away. The total in-clinic time was about 2 hours, but the time under the laser was less than one minute per eye. Eye sight was instantly 20/15 in both eyes from 20/200 & 20/300. The next day my eyes felt like somebody had dropped sand in my face and my vision went blurry, but the doc had warned me that this was normal. After about 3 days my vision was back to 20/15 and sand feeling was gone. To this day my vision is still 20/15. I'm 41 yrs old now and still shooting military iron sights in competition for the Air Force Reserve with NO ISSUES AT ALL!!!

Find a good reputable company and go for it!!!

Does anyone have experience with LASIK to correct somewhat low levels of astigmatism (mine is something like 3.5). Also, has anyone experienced decreased night vision and/or halos?

Never talked to someone who said they regretted it at all. I plan to do it myself as soon as I possibly can.

If you are a good contact wearer, that might be a better route, depending on activities, ie dusty environment or swimming underwater without mask not good for contacts. I wear my 30 day contacts well and my job requires .1mm visual acuity(with loupes) so I never had Lasik. Would have if not for that.
My son who is 25 and athletic cannot stand anything near his eyes so contacts were not an option. He had Lasik 4 weeks ago, said the procedure was the worst 20' of his life, but is thrilled he did and has had no problems. We did understand the risks going in.

Hey Larry, I spent about a year researching before getting it done. Was the best $3k I've spent. I was severely near-sighted, no glasses = shapes and colors only. Couldn't read the digital clock on the nightstand. Perfect vision now, no issues up close at all, I do get a little halo-ing at night when driving (mostly from street lights) but would do it again in a second. I'd just recommend putting in your due diligence on choosing a provider.

I'm debating this myself, I'm 31. My biggest problem is astigmatisms in both eyes. I don't know what 20/20 thing I am I just know my contacts are -1.25 and -1.75 in the power range. Has anyone had it done that had astigmatisms?

I did, had severe astigmatism; -3.25 in right eye & -1.25 in left eye & started wearing glasses @ 27. As career firefighter/paramedic, SCBA & safety goggles were a PITA & was always dropping glasses on the pavement or concrete at a signal 4. Always worried about having glasses in the middle of the night on calls. Shooting was compromised due to glasses to scope & open sights line up issues & fogging.

Had LASIK done 7 years ago @46 and should have done it 10 years prior. Wear 'readers' for close up work & reading now but that happens anyway. Shooting improved immediately and no hassle of needing glasses or the whole fogging issue when using scope, binoculars, or spotting scope. Made all the difference in the world for hunting, ie spotting deer, turkeys, hogs. And I went to a competitive level in trap & skeet shooting within months - didn't need glasses for shooting any longer.

In a nut shell, greatest thing since sliced bread if you need it. Don't wait any longer, find a way to finance it if necessary and get it done now!

Don't get talked into getting one eye done for distance & the other for reading/close up.it is a big mistake that most people wind up getting corrected immediately.

Last edited:
Do the Wavefront Lasik if you do it. Maps the eyeball and only makes cuts where it needs to instead of all over the place. No night vision issues at all with this method.

WHATEVER YOU DO! Spend the extra $ and go to a reputable clinic. Don't try to save a few bucks at the expence of your vision. I went to one of the ones who stand behind you for life and I'm very happy.

I wish I could say I have had the same results as everyone else, but I cant. I had PRK done at the best place I could find in my area. It was done in October of 2012 and as of now late June 2013 I still cant see very well at all. As of last month my left eye has seemed to get better but still not as I expected, my vision is not super sharp and the focusing takes a second. My right eye is still not good at all, everything is still blurry and it gets worse the farther it gets. I do think that my vision is starting to improve but its slow. I have been back for evaluations a few times and was scheduled for a correction but I decided to give it time to heal more (even though the doc says its healed). I guess I am just bummed out that I spent $4100 (which I sold my AIAW to cover the cost) on my eyes and in all honesty still need glasses. I have read on the WWW that some people have taken a year to fully recover, I just hope that it get better.

So I am sorry for the long rant but just wanted to let you know that it is not 100%.

my $.02:

The Army gave me PRK on 3 Nov 2008, That night I woke up in horrible pain. There was nothing I could do to stop the pain or make it subside, I just sat there in the dark with tears streaming down my face, the wife was kind of freaked out. I'd do it again though, I have 20/15 in both eyes, yes PRK takes longer to heal than LASIK, but from what I understand, over the long run, it ends up being better.

Depending on your job in the Army, you can get LASIK, I think you have to be a clerk or something and also PRK has to not be a viable option to correct your vision.

do it, do it now!

I'm still waiting for the one machine that does LASIK best.

What I mean is, as a physician, practicing for over 20 years, I'm well aware that everything I know is wrong.

I've seen aspirin go in and out of vogue. I've seen coffee as killer become coffee the wonder beverage. Ditto alcohol regarding HDL and cardioprotective properties.

I've seen Barry Marshall go from ridiculed nutball to Nobel prize winner for even daring to suggest that peptic ulcer disease was an infection.

We tend to eat our own in this business.

That said, when I look at the complete failures of LASIK compared to the overall wins, it looks promising, but it's those few who wind up with dry eyes having to use artificial tears and restasis (cyclosporine) daily for life that bother me most. Personally I can't live with an eyelash or small dog hair in my eye much less contact lenses and the thought of having my eyes manipulated like they do during LASIK gets my cremasteric reflex going like jumping in a tub of ice.

Therein lies the problem. It's the mechanics of the thing.

There's a concept in medicine we call the "standard of care." Having been called as an expert witness in several trials and listening to the best and the brightest of ivory tower institutions plumb the depths of their ignorance in a court of law and in medical journals in front of God and everybody, I call this the "mythologic standard of care."

Different people do things differently. But if you're talking a standard approach to a classic inguinal herniorrhaphy, the standards set by the surgeon Halstead at Johns Hopkins over 100 years ago is pretty much going to get the job done for about 99% of all patients... ditto vasectomies, CABGs, cholecystectomies and more. Cut and paste. EZPZ.

I see ads for LASIK that say "$" per eye using our XYZ LASER, but for a limited time we'll offer the best of the best with our SWISS hackomatic Adnauseum-Leon LASER at ONLY $$$$$$$$ per eye, don't you want the best?

Therein lies my heartburn with LASIK.

IF there is a difference between machines in doing a procedure involving something so vital, fundamentally important as EYESIGHT, how is it the state, federal, parent medical associations allow ANYONE to use a less-than best of the best procedure in improving and protecting said eyesight?

There's a WW2 movie about a submarine special ops mission where the sub's corpsman (CORE-man) has the chief machinist turn down some steak knives for scalpels, bend forks and spoons for retractors, so he can do an emergency appendectomy on a crewman. They use simple drop-method ether anesthesia too. This is from a true story, I understand, put to some good use by Hollywood.

These days we do appendectomies in million-dollar surgical suites with use-once throw away scopes and staplers through 1 CM incisions, patients go home that afternoon. Total cost is in the high thousands, IIRC. And that's just for the throwaway instruments.

But hey, if you can do the SAME surgery on a kitchen table (and I've done lots of minor outpatient surgical procedures in my home and my patient's homes at kitchen tables), with dining utensils repurposed to the task at hand, why pay so much for the operating room?

So you want to pay $500 per eyeball for run of the mill, okay, so-so, LASIK, or do you want to spend $2500 for the best of the best perfection in motion highest tech procedure to almost guarantee you will have the eyesight you had as a ten year old with those fifty year-old eyes?

Like I said, I'm surprised the medical associations even allow this kind of marketing.

Caveat emptor, sure, but is good enough really?

I'm still waiting for the jury to return a verdict on which machine and procedure is best, with the least complications, and for now the optometrist and eyeglasses are going to have to suffice.

LASIK is the best thing I've ever done. I wore glasses for almost 20 years before I finally felt the LASIK tech had caught up and would minimize my apprehension.

The surgery was quick. I was in the chair less than 5 min. It was painless.

The method I opted for was completely computer based. First they mapped my eyes. The laser making the corrections would then correct each area of my eye to the appropriate level. This is unlike other methods which are similiar to glasses which give you the same adjustment across the entire eye. I forget what it's called specifically but it was something like wave mapping. The end result is that each part of the eye is corrected to the right level.

The flaps were also created with a laser (not like PRK and others where there's a physical knife involved). This means that the flap is perfect in it's shape (no tears, etc) like those caused by a physical knife.

The computer doing all this can stop mid-procedure and pick up exactly where it left off. So, if you look away, somehow manage to blink, the doc gets in the way - the laser stops and then picks up where it left off.

It's been roughly 4 years and I still have 20/20 as of my last check up.

The doc who did the surgery has 4 locations (2 in Chicago, Madison, WI and somewhere in NC). The spends 1 morning in each location and does roughly 20 surgeries then flys to the next location. He lives in Michigan. How about that for a lifestyle? He'd done over 20k of these surgeries by the time he'd gotten to me. The guy reminded me of Doogie Howser. :)

Last edited: