• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Told this at the UPS hub

Thud

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Shipped out a rifle today and was asked what caliber, never asked this before. I told them and they said if it was a 50 cal centerfire or a 10 guage shotgun they won't ship them.
    First time I ever heard that.
    WHY.

I recently had it out with a lazy, incompetent UPS worker with something similar; girl absolutely REFUSED to ship my ammo, even after showing her the UPS regulations, until I got her supervisor and manager involved. Their policy on shipping ammo is it cant be larger then .50 cal or 8 gauge:
    Shipping Ammunition: UPS

For firearms, dont see what they were talking about, heres their policy:
    Shipping Firearms and Ammunition: UPS

Hope this helps.

Tell the fuckwits that it's not a .50 caliber. It's a 12.954mm.

Nitwit probably thought that 10 gauge was bigger than 8 gauge. Note that: "Their policy on shipping ammo is it cant be larger than .50 cal or 8 gauge". This means that it can be small arms, but not say mortars or similar.

Lol. Had an unusual amount of Remington's come through yesterday. Supervisors were like "whoa, oh shit." I told them "put that down, you'll shoot your eye out kid" they weren't amused.

When I sent my Remington in, Remington had told me some "hubs" have been saying they won't allow rifles or handguns. They told me to go to the main ups where there won't be a problem. So I did, and there was no problem.

I'm guessing it's not a regulation thing, it's more of a " I don't trust some of the dumb hubs " or they are being over cautious.

I recently started using USPS, the lady at the counter didn't know the rules, she walked over to a desk pulled the USPS regulation book out , found the appropriate section and read it with me to make sure she understood and I understood the rules. Had to be shipped registered mail and that was that, she gave me a huge roll of brown paper tape and her stamp sponge to wet the tape, took care of the box with like a hundred registered mail stamps that she put on it, very good experience from them.

I only had one box ever tore up by USPS, that was a box of 800 260 and 308 shells that I sent to the guy heree who does annealing, I had them packed in gallon ziplocks, he double wrapped them in the ziplocks and plastic wraps. No lost cases. Support the USPS it really is the only government agency that works pretty well besides the military, lots of good folks there too.

Last edited:
    Being from Memphis, I have always used FedEx and never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every time I have had something delivered fedex to me...and I mean EVERY TIME...they have dropped it off at 1445 when I live at and the label clearly shows 1455. I don't ship with them because they are so bad but every time something comes from them I have to go to my neighbors and get my shit.

Being from Memphis, I have always used FedEx and never had an issue.

I used to not ever have issue with Fedex. That has changed!
    I have shipped ammo Fedex in the past by packing, labeling with ORMD and dropping off at the hub (7 minutes from home). Recently, I took a trip out to WY for prairie dogs and needed to ship a lot of ammo. I packed it, labeled it and took it to the hub. The package was refused and I was told the only way I could get it shipped was to go home, access my account online, get a label and schedule a pickup. I spoke to Fedex corporate about it and they confirmed that is the way they want it done. They are also starting to hassle me about shipping firearms lately.
    As for handguns, I have a bud with an FFL and he can ship them USPS. It is a lot cheaper than overnight UPS or Fedex.
    Lastly, I have not used UPS in years. They really suck! They lost an entire plane load of packages in a crash while trying to land at Bham airport and now they have had a disgruntled employee workplace shooting at one of the two local hubs. Not a happy place.

I have shipped lowers from the local UPS store. The owner at that store asked me what was in the package and I told him. He said they aren't allowed to ship firearms unless it's from the hub and he wrote it up as metal rods. Since then, that's what all my firearms ship out as.

I'm not sure if you misrepresent what's in the package and add insurance, if it would be covered. I'm not driving 20 miles to the nearest ups hub, even if it means losing one of my assault weapons in CT.

I have shipped lowers from the local UPS store. The owner at that store asked me what was in the package and I told him. He said they aren't allowed to ship firearms unless it's from the hub and he wrote it up as metal rods. Since then, that's what all my firearms ship out as.

I'm not sure if you misrepresent what's in the package and add insurance, if it would be covered. I'm not driving 20 miles to the nearest ups hub, even if it means losing one of my assault weapons in CT.

Posting on the WWW that you knowingly ship what you call "assault weapons" against regulations... Yeah buddy

Posting on the WWW that you knowingly ship what you call "assault weapons" against regulations... Yeah buddy

I've sent everything out that I will. And mine are all fully registered in the state. No worries here.

didn't read all the posts, referring to OP's post. so you could ship a 50 bmg, .510 cal, but not a 500 S&W or 50 beowulf .500 cal. just saying if you said ".510" would she have known it was "50 cal"

What's an "assault weapon"? Never heard of one of those. I only own defense weapons...

I was recently told by the manager of a UPS Store that he couldn't ship a rifle scope because they don't ship firearm components. He then looked up the regs and it states specifically that riflescopes are fine as long as they are not attached to a barrel (his wording not mine) so he shipped it.

This all been UPS and FedEx policy for a long time or have they recently changed their policies with firearms and ammo?

I ask because it sounds like maybe they're being pressured in to being more restrictive.

Maybe they're getting pressure like Operation Chokepoint did to lenders and banks financing gun manufacturers.

So what we're saying is...we need a company that will ship firearms/ammo (mortars and Stinger missiles too maybe, lol) with no problems...maybe they could also be a financing company for small gun businesses and ranges as well as have an online payment system for firearm transactions...

or you could just get a UPS or FedEx account.... print a label, and just drop it off at any pickup location without telling them a thing. you get better rates by doing it online anyhoo.

one of the best things I love about having an account is that I can send a label to someone and negotiate that in the price of my deals.

Anyone that ships more than a few pistols needs to get in good with your dealer. USPS allows FFL holders to ship pistols through standard/flat rate postage(with a 1508 form), much cheaper than the UPS overnight mess. I can usually mail a pistol for $25-30 and that includes insurance and adult sig.

The only reason I use UPS is for ammo.

I never ship a firearm in packaging that overtly belies its contents. Not going to make it easy for some shithead loading dock worker to suddenly be faced with a moral dilemma.
    Setting up a shipper account is free. Shipping materials are free, and two of those large express boxes can be stitched together to cover the average factory long gun box completely.
    With the shipper account, I can print my own labels and pay for the shipping online. I can drop the package off at a regular pickup point or take it into the hub, already processed and ready to be scanned.
    I can even schedule a pickup at my home or office.
    Rules are written in shades of grey and descriptions are simply how one chooses their wording.

And before anyone gets clever and makes the obvious joke, it was a Benelli, so it was actually from Italy.

nDSvmyb.jpg

I used to not ever have issue with Fedex. That has changed!
    I have shipped ammo Fedex in the past by packing, labeling with ORMD and dropping off at the hub (7 minutes from home). Recently, I took a trip out to WY for prairie dogs and needed to ship a lot of ammo. I packed it, labeled it and took it to the hub. The package was refused and I was told the only way I could get it shipped was to go home, access my account online, get a label and schedule a pickup. I spoke to Fedex corporate about it and they confirmed that is the way they want it done. They are also starting to hassle me about shipping firearms lately.
    As for handguns, I have a bud with an FFL and he can ship them USPS. It is a lot cheaper than overnight UPS or Fedex.
    Lastly, I have not used UPS in years. They really suck! They lost an entire plane load of packages in a crash while trying to land at Bham airport and now they have had a disgruntled employee workplace shooting at one of the two local hubs. Not a happy place.

This is what I had to do to ship ammo with FedEx. Actually once I knew their regs it makes it easier as it saves me a trip.

I went through this two weeks ago shipping some ammo. Some stuff changed last year with the dangerous goods/hazmat stuff. That was a federal government change. I know that stuff changed because it changed some stuff in my industry. I dont think FedEx and UPS are really complying with the change at a min level, but they are going above and beyond to ridiculous levels.

Fedex Air and UPS Air you now have to be a certified dangerous goods shipper to even access their system to fill out the forms. You can download the blank forms, but you have no idea of what all the information it requires is(lots of secret codes for locations and what not). It did NOT use to be like this. I shipped ammo out via FedEx Air quite often when I was living in Texas.

FedEx ground says "create an account online and print the labels". I think this is more of a tracking thing than anything else. I think the federal reg changed that the shipper has to be a "known" shipper for any ammo. FedEx satisfies this requirement by forcing you to create an account online. You have to put the white/black diamond labels and write Small Arms Cartridges on the box.

UPS, ship from a hub, walk in, walk up to their computer, fill out all info, put "ORM-D, Dangerous Goods, Small Arms Cartridges" in the "notes" section, print label, walk up to counter. The box also has to have the white/black diamond labels and be labeled Small Arms Cartridges. Pay the nice lady, and walk out the door. The lady checked my ID to verify I was who I put on the label and said something like "is it .50 cal or under" "yes" . Much easier than FedEx.

I just suspect, it has more to do with the burdensome change in Federal Dangerous Goods reg in the past year or two and neither company completely understanding how to comply to a min level so they both went above and beyond into ridiculous land.

Airplane propellers are long and skinny, and it makes sense they'd be insured for lots of money.

Just saying.

shoot4fun said:

Good thing FedEx has never crashed any airplanes, and neither FedEx or USPS have ever had workplace shootings...as recently as this past spring.

FedEx also didn't have a pilot hack a crew to death with a crash axe either.

Best fedex fire video is the one where 3 people come out the cockpit window then about 10 bags then about 4 more people. The whole time smoke is billowing out and the whole plane is engulfed.

Ups never gets my business for shipping after they failed to honor their insurance after a rifle showed up with the barrel out the side and the zip ties and tape cut open

I recently had it out with a lazy, incompetent UPS worker with something similar; girl absolutely REFUSED to ship my ammo, even after showing her the UPS regulations, until I got her supervisor and manager involved. Their policy on shipping ammo is it cant be larger then .50 cal or 8 gauge:
    Shipping Ammunition: UPS

For firearms, dont see what they were talking about, heres their policy:
    Shipping Firearms and Ammunition: UPS

Hope this helps.
    In CA it's illegal to have a 50 cal, that could be why... Gander Mountain had a 50 cal muzzle loader thatvthey refused to sell or ship to me... stupid

USPS is great for firearms shipping. Never had an issue and the registered custody of the parcel is far more secure than UPS.

American Airlines is my favorite airline for traveling with firearms. No drama. Did have a TSA wad close a Garand bolt on his thumb once. He got lucky but we all laughed at him along with a Chicago cop at the terminal. I told him not mess with it while he was inspect it...