• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Top Pistolsmiths List attempt

I suggest an in memoriam section.

There were great pioneers in pistol smithing who are no longer with us.

Two off the top of my head are Bob Chow and Armand Swenson.

Legends in their field.

I couldn't afford a Valtro so I jumped when I had a chance to buy one of his uncle's guns. I really like my Swenson custom.

Reactions: simonp
Gang, brand new here, but I thought I'd add a couple of holster makers who do superb work that I did not see on the list. Mike "Doc" Barranti does great work. He is a Shootist and a dedicated student of all things gun and holster related; website: https://barrantileather.com

Another first-class holster maker is Von Ringler: Von's work is stunningly beautiful. His "Wyoming Combination Holster" is very popular with outdoorsmen and women from Wyoming to Alaska. https://ringlercustomleather.com

I'll warn you, however, both of these gentlemen are backordered for custom work.

Reactions: DubfromGA
I need to find one on the list that will take on two 1911 projects that another gunsmith on the list started but appears to have no desire to finish. I know that is going to be a challenge because a lot of smiths don't want to work on something that someone else has messed with. I don't blame them since it's no different turning wrenches and getting someone elses half finished bullshit.

I know that Joe Chambers has fixed some less than optimal work done by other smiths - he's worth giving a call. He's very detail oriented and stubborn (in a good way) about getting things right. You may have a long wait ahead, though. I'm not sure what his backlog is like these days.

Reactions: dmcfarland
Wilson Combat! I worked with them and several of them have never had but one job from HS on and they are still at that one job they had when out of Machinists school in their late teens or early 20's. Several have been there 30 plus years and the volume of guns they have laid hands on and hand checkered from the start is staggering!

I think Brandan Bunker definitely earns a spot on the list. The precision of his builds takes to the .0001 what other smiths take to the .001, not to mention the option of PVD coatings that look like traditional bluing.

https://www.bunkerarms.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: BisSilent
Dave Gregor, former head gunsmith for the FBI hostage Rescue team
now located at
US Trinity Customs
in Northlake, Texas

Last edited:
Nighthawk Customs in Berryville, AR does excellent gunsmithing.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
On the holster front I can suggest The Southern Trapper. Quality gear, lots of exotic hides (croc, gator, elephant, ostrich, shark, ray, etc.), and they offer a 100 year, generationally transferable warranty.

Last edited:
Jim Garthwaite passed away last week.
He built two great guns for me.
RIP Jim,
R

Very sad. Jim built me a couple of guns, showed me how to build my own, and basically taught me how to shoot. I'd lost touch with him over the last two years, but he was very healthy last time I saw him, or seemed so.

John makes some really nice pistols. Good, classic stuff.

I would Add Bob Serva of Fusion Firearms to your list. He was president of Dan Wesson Firearms for about ten years. I have two of his pistols. a 2011 Commander and a 1911 Bobtail Commander. 4Certain

I need to find one on the list that will take on two 1911 projects that another gunsmith on the list started but appears to have no desire to finish. I know that is going to be a challenge because a lot of smiths don't want to work on something that someone else has messed with. I don't blame them since it's no different turning wrenches and getting someone elses half finished bullshit.

good luck, been in that boat before and it’s a real challenge

Looking at the list, Garthwaite also passed this year

RIP

also on the list ...

Bailey hasn’t been with Heirloom in some time I don’t think, built 2 guns for me in the 80’s

Cronin went back to full time LEO I believe, Shame as I heard he was excellent

If I wanted an RMR cut in a Colt 1911 Slide, who would the gif recommend?

Great list. CT Brian says no longer accepting orders. Several years ago I had contacted him and back then he had about a 2 year wait. Lots of great work from him and the others on this list. I've had Greg Derr do some work on a pistol and I'd highly recommend him.

Greg is a great smith, great guy and unbelievable shooter. Last time I talked to Tim he was still taking complete builds. He has a slide and frame of mine, should be coming up soon. Need another 1911 like a hole in the head.

Reactions: BU37377
Alan Harton would be on the short list when it comes to single actions. I saw Clements' name mentioned. he's getting out of the business.

Don Fraley from " Advanced Weapons Technology" in Russell, KY . He builds custom pistols and rifles, and does some amazing work.

Karl Beining is who I'm having build mine. After speaking with Yost to get work done on a YoBo he referred me to Karl

RIP Terry Tussy Awesome guy great work he built a nice shooter for me.

Reactions: simonp
Karl Beining is who I'm having build mine. After speaking with Yost to get work done on a YoBo he referred me to Karl
I’ve been following his work for a few years, he dose really nice work.

Alex Hamilton is truly one of the greats! I have been taking things to him for over 20 years (local for me)... he has always met my expectations for what I considered very reasonable prices. I don't know how much longer he will keep going.... he is probably 7-10 years older than I am... and I'm not young.

Nighthawk for sure. Their RMR system is the tits.
Agreed however the slide needs to be pretty beefy as the cut is deep.
If I wanted an RMR cut in a Colt 1911 Slide, who would the gif recommend?
Joe Chambers does a pretty solid plate mounting system that will mount on a large variety of slides.

bill fuchs for colt sa i think better than turnbill ,bob mcgrew but he fell off the edge of the world wizard on 1911s elmer keith liked him alot did a beauty of a gold cup match tactical for me i still carry over 10000 rounds thru still one ragged hole at 15 yards and im old and feeble, anybody at shiloh sharpsis great metal to wood fit unbeliveable

Dave Laubert is a member of the elite American Pistolsmiths Guild. He runs Defensive Creations (on IG and FB) out of Alliance, Ohio. I went to high school with him. He’s top notch.

Irv Stone @ Barsto Barrels. They not only make arguably the best pistols barrels but they do full custom builds and custom machine work as well highly recommended. Also Robert Burke aka The Sig Armorer.