• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Top Shot

Re: Top Shot

Already heard the reviews and I have no desire to watch a show make a mockery out of the shooting sport by turning it into a reality show. I'll stick to Pawn Stars and South Park. The only 2 watchable shows left on TV.

i didnt think it was to bad for a reality show.. it may be the only reality tv show ill ever watch, but i can aleady see there will be to much bickering..

Pretty sad for guys who are supposedly experts.

What a complete joke. I made it through the first 30 minutes before I switched it off. A marksman who can not hit a large target off sand bags at 100 yards?? Should have been off hand shooting. And watching that stupid woman trying to use a spotting scope. And the guy who was in the Army and missed his first shot at 50 yards off a sand bag?? Absolutely ridiculous. Tom.

Horrible. Most of the guys on this site could blow those clowns out of the water!

What can you expect from reality TV? I still don't understand how they think its "Top" Shot. Best shooting on the show was the younger kid at the end....

Wow, was all I could say. Longest shot was 600 yards? Would like to know how big was that target. It didn't look too small. Must be at least more than 2 MOAs. I guess since they don't have the ballistic drop of the ammo they were shooting, so the windage was a bit of a guessing game.

I thought the show was very decent and showcased some good shooting. None of us, who have actually participated in formal competition, and who have experienced some of the gazillion things that could go wrong under stress, would be so quick to poo-poo the competitors on the show.

These guys were not shooting custom GA rigs that they leisurely practiced with on the home range for days on end. They shot <span style="font-weight: bold">as-issued rack-grade combat rifles</span> of <span style="font-weight: bold">dubious accuracy</span> and were performing under <span style="font-weight: bold">actual stress</span>. If you look up the names on the web, you'll see that some of them, including the one that was voted off today, were experts well known in competitive shooting. For instance:

Kelly Bachand, 2009 Canadian Fullbore Champion: http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/200...-championships/

Mike Seeklander, USPSA Grand Master: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_2_33/ai_n31326649/

J.J. Racaza, 2009 S&W Steel Series Northeast Champion: http://www.ammoland.com/2009/07/22/racaza-takes-top-spot-in-both-pistol-divisions/

Comments on this thread shall reveal the mall ninjas from the pros
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: $KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Horrible. Most of the guys on this site could blow those clowns out of the water! </div></div>

Get signed up for the next season, and go show em.....oh wait that won't happen. It's so much easier feeding your face in the cheap seats while you criticize someone who actually is willing to play the game.

Ill give the show one more chance. I think this was a rough episode. I'm sure the producers weren't exactly thrilled either to have such a lopsided showing. The fact is mike is a highly skilled shooter who has shot in enough comps that the preasure should have been managed and he cracked. 30+ rounds? At some point he could have started walking the shots in from 50yards. That's was painful to watch as a shooter and as a general TV viewer. But ill give it one more show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: $KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Horrible. Most of the guys on this site could blow those clowns out of the water! </div></div>

Just curious--do you consider yourself one of the "most" ?

Watched it, I personally thought it sucked enormous amounts of ass... and what I dont understand is, how do we assume someone was under so much pressure shooting targets at 100 yards? Mike shot 30 rounds and didn't hit it, and then when he shot Kelly's name target for the elimination round he barely hit it, AT FIVE FUGG'N YARDS!!!

I could do w/out the survivor style obstacle courses also, maybe you could get some really experienced - albeit older - exhibition shooters like Jerry, Tom, Bill, etc.

Kelly did good reading the wind at 600 yards, that target didn't look all that big and he nailed the bottom left center of it on the second shot - even w/out the Marine Sniper helping during spotting.

I enjoyed it, but I was quite shocked at the 30+ shots and no hit. I did notice when he cast his vote with the pistol that he barely hit that target also, really low. I know he is a renowned expert but I can't see why he bombed so badly on the show. The gal was also aggravating when she couldn't even find the target when she was spotting.

I didn't like how although Mike blew the first challenge, people were using his reputation as the deciding factor to vote and not performance. It looked like brown nosing for aspiring pro shooters to me.

The 03 issue, I don't believe was the shooter. He had made comment about "All" of them having issue with it, prior to. Battlefield pickups can be if'y as some know, but if your running a comp they should be same/same.
I'll reserve judgement until the end.

To bad its not about fieldcraft/tactics, as well as shooting,...

Dont know about the show, as I didnt watch it, and probably wont..for some of the reasons stated, but what I can tell you is that I highly doubt many are going to outshoot Kelly on a Palma rifle. Now, does that inclue YOU? Probably so. But it sounds like the "shooting" on the show is nothing more than games and plinking.....not exactly the same.

As for the show, yeah, I suspect it sucks, as the promos did a good job of suggesting that....

John

Even though it might not be the best show ever at least it's promoting the shooting sports, not trying to ban them. We should all be glad of that.

I felt the gal should have taken her eye out of the spotting scope. She would have done much better spotting without it..

I have to ask all of you Doc Bogardus shooters out there. How many of you knowing you had a $100,000 payday might not feel some pressure and choke also.

Even if its not a true competition and just a show with guys shooting guns I'll still watch it, just take it for what it is , don't be watching it thinking what it should be if you like guns then its ok but don't expect more and you'll be fine.

I can only imagine they have nothing on the rifles that resembeled a zero. Truth be told I want that hour of my life back. It was a bad version of a MTV style of quasi reality show (this time with rifles). Why oooo why didn't they not do a third season of Top Sniper.

I was hoping it was going to be just a typical History channel factual type show and was kinda dissuaded when it ended up being a game show and not a good one at that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 03 issue, I don't believe was the shooter. He had made comment about "All" of them having issue with it, prior to. Battlefield pickups can be if'y as some know, but if your running a comp they should be same/same.

To bad its not about fieldcraft/tactics, as well as shooting,... </div></div>

Sorry man, I've shot too many rusty old mosin nagants and springfield 1903's that would nail a bowling pin at 400 yards with ease to blame the equipment.

remember, he couldnt even hit the 400 yard target with a model 700 and leupy mk4 glass!!!

And that girl, OMG, she has probably NEVER used a spotting scope, granted I have a hard time seeing the vapor trails with even the best of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty sad for guys who are supposedly experts.</div></div>

My thoughts exactly.

After the dude who got eliminated started the show with his ranting reminded me of the old saying.

DON'T BRAG ABOUT YOU'RE BIRD DOG UNTIL AFTER THE HUNT.

I think the kid was about the best of the lot, a little cocky (with his smiling faces and all) but in the end, he put his money where his mouth was.

But a little off topic, What happen to all the history on the History Channel. Reality shows are ok if you like that sort of show, but its the HISTORY Channel for crying out loud.

The 21yr. old kid is excellent with a rifle. The guy he beat out, well he can talk the talk. Everyone was talking about his reputation and how good he was but when it came time to shoot he couldn't walk the walk. I seen him use three different guns and his superior marksmanship was never revealed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
But a little off topic, What happen to all the history on the History Channel. Reality shows are ok if you like that sort of show, but its the HISTORY Channel for crying out loud. </div></div>

Becuase, the title silly... 16 shooters, only 1 will make history!

LOL.

It shows shooting as a sport which does not kill, in TV, in one of the TV Channels I respect most. I definitely take it.
I enjoyed it, and I am really not into the reality shows.

The shows I don't understand why they show on the History channel are Ice Road Truckers and American Loggers. They would be more fitting on The Discovery Channel, which should probably be renamed The Shitty Jobs You Don't Want to Do Channel. Monster Quest and Ancient Aliens are kind of whack too.

At least with shows like American Pickers, Top Shot and Pawn Stars, they show and give a brief HISTORY of some of the items.

I am not going to jump on Mike and say he sucks, but they had some time the previous day to shoot the weapons to be used in the comp the next day. The host did ask him if he had spent any time on the 1903 the previous day, and his response was " very little". This would seem to me to be poor planning at best and a little negligent if you are assigning yourself that weapon/stage. The team was depending on the performance of the first stage shooters after all. I'll keep watching though as it was entertaining, and I am interested to see the future projectile throwers to be used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 03 issue, I don't believe was the shooter. He had made comment about "All" of them having issue with it, prior to. Battlefield pickups can be if'y as some know, but if your running a comp they should be same/same.

To bad its not about fieldcraft/tactics, as well as shooting,... </div></div>

Sorry man, I've shot too many rusty old mosin nagants and springfield 1903's that would nail a bowling pin at 400 yards with ease to blame the equipment.

remember, he couldnt even hit the 400 yard target with a model 700 and leupy mk4 glass!!!

And that girl, OMG, she has probably NEVER used a spotting scope, granted I have a hard time seeing the vapor trails with even the best of them. </div></div>

Pressure is a world, many never fine their selfs in, because they won't step out of their comfort zone. Lets just for fun say, the weapons crown had been hit by somebody that knows nothing about weapons at all, lets just say. Now you being all that, jump on the gun and miss every target in the first heat of a match. I've seen that un-nerve the best, more than once, when big money an chest beating rights were on the line.
Now lets just say you have a shoot off and its a do or die event with lots of folks watching, and your recalling all the targets you missed in the first gig. Lastly you have to pop a target to vote, after sucking hind tit in two events. Your telling me, your going to be 100% on your game?

I don't have a dog in this hunt, so like I said, I'll wait until its over.

From what I observed, I think Mike is a pistol guy like the way most of us here are rifle guys. On the 600 yard range he was using his left hand as if he were shooting a M-60 instead of as an impromptu rear bag. Cheek weld may have been an issue but wouldn't trump the need some type of adjustable rear support. He is probably great at handgun and just needs training on rifle.

At least their is a show putting shooting sports into America's living room. And that is GOOD for all of us.

I watched it and agree it was painful to see the repeated misses with the Springfield. Ole Mike is gonna have his balls busted for a long time....especially for his attitude going into the comp vs. his results for the team.

Fact is-even though its on the History Channel- you'd be performing in front of MILLIONS of people. That's alot of pressure.

According to LowLight, there is a SH member on the show. It's Chris Cerino on the blue team. No idea what his screen name is here. CLICKY

All I'll say is that it takes balls to participate."easy" isn't so easy in front of a TV camera.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Pressure is a world, many never fine their selfs in, because they won't step out of their comfort zone. Lets just for fun say, the weapons crown had been hit by somebody that knows nothing about weapons at all, lets just say. Now you being all that, jump on the gun and miss every target in the first heat of a match. I've seen that un-nerve the best, more than once, when big money an chest beating rights were on the line.
Now lets just say you have a shoot off and its a do or die event with lots of folks watching, and your recalling all the targets you missed in the first gig. Lastly you have to pop a target to vote, after sucking hind tit in two events. Your telling me, your going to be 100% on your game?

I don't have a dog in this hunt, so like I said, I'll wait until its over.
</div></div>

yes, pressure changes allot.. but it's not going to keep me from hitting a target at least once out of 30 shots at 100 yards with an 02 Springfield.

Jim Clark, Jr put on a sniper match at the shootout in 06 I belive, that I shot in, and I had never been under that much pressure with a rifle... one of the stages was something like 5 paces behind the rifle, with a round in your hand and the bolt open, and you had like 7 seconds to drop, load, take aim, and fire at 200 yards (or maybe 100) on a tiny target. I am shocked that I hit 2 out of 5 of them.. only to find out I was hitting RADcustom's targets instead of my own. JIM LAUGHED SO HARD HE GAVE RUSSEL THE DAMNED POINTS!!!

They busted my balls for probably 3 years... no joke.

I see it this way like the show or not. Its putting competetive shooting on TV. Which is good for our second amendment rights and validates the sport purpose of firearms instead of the nightly news nasty spin of guns being evil and bad.

In addition there are 15 people that alot closer to 100k in prizes then any of us are. So like it or not we are on the sidelines and unless you put your neck, name and reputation on the line for it then its easy to say how easy the shots were or were not.

In the end its a game like a match.

I enjoyed the show. It's entertainment, pure and simple. I would bet many of those guys have never shot out to 600 yards, especially if they're pistol GMs.

I was a bit shocked at how poorly people were zeroing their weapons on Day 1. Some of those targets looked like they got hit with buckshot.

These guys are suppose to be the experts. The cream of the crop. Not unprepared ninnies.

And they did shoot those very same rifles the day before at the range to sight them in.

I was hoping to see some real professional shooters do some amazing things. Not some ninnie missing a target 30 times off sand bags at 100 yards. Tom.

I will say this, i have a original 03 springfield and never had an issue accuracy wise. I did have a question about the sight hood on their 03. I have an original publication TM book on the 03's and none of the schematic's ever show the 03 with a sight hood. As for the show itself, i thought it was kinda lame, with the red team especially that kelly kid, being way to bitchy. But i will watch the show one more time, before i decide whether or not to continue watching it. Overall i think maybe the iceroad trucker show was better.

According to Mikes Blog on his website he is saying he had a loose rear site!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to Mikes Blog on his website he is saying he had a loose rear site!! </div></div>

Uhmm... he should have asked for a different rifle, and when they asked what the problem was, he never mentioned it.

Putting it out there for everyone to criticize is tough as hell and you have to applaud anyone willing to stand up.

That said, did the 700 have a loose base too ? <span style="font-style: italic">(I know, but I couldn't help it)</span>

I honestly did feel for him, because I knew the reaction to his shooting would be like it is... so, props for putting it on the table to start.

Go Chris... $100k will buy a pretty sweet Precision AR
smile.gif

Contrary to some (who worship pawn stars) and similar to others (who appreciate the positive spin), I will say this:

Not very often, do we (members here who actually own and shoot ACTUAL firearms) get to see a positive spin on the alleged "evil gun". For that, I am thankful. As has been shared with previous, there is a televised speed-sport in Europe (Sweden?) where there are spectators and everything.

What's it going to take, people, to shed the PROPER light on the fact that we are not evil, and neither is what we do. Nor is it bad. This is Sniper's Hide, not molesters-monthly. Lets promote that which is GOOD for all of us.

There are SO MANY aspects to the shooting sports. It is time to start getting some of them out there in the mainstream.

Leave the negative crap, and the other garbage, to those different sites and their regulars.

As said by someone else: Reach down, grab a pair, put 'em on the table. Then you've earned the right to criticize. UNTIL THEN, SHUT THE HE(( UP!!

The show is cheesy as hell, but I liked it.

I was pretty impressed with how Mike handled himself after sucking so bad. He at least wanted to go out shooting against who he thought was the best.

As for the kid, there is a fine line between cockiness and confidence called performance. He performed, and the rest is just having some fun getting into the other competitors headspace. I bet it'll be the last time someone votes to go up against him on the final competition.

I was disappointed in the way they performed, considering they're supposed to be the 16 "best". Come on, looking at the clouds while trying to find a 100 yard target straight in front of you?

I can name 16 of the best shooters and none of there names are even in the running so it is not the best 16 shooters!!

It is 16 shooters that made the cut and 1 of them are going to walk away with 100k in prizes just that simple!

I have it recorded but have not watched it yet.
If it's got shooting sports in it, it's already better than most of the other shit on tv, so I'll enjoy it for what it is.