• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Top Shot

Re: Top Shot

Just putting the shooting sports on TV-on a widely watched channel is good enough for me. Guaranteed somebody-somewhere is going to look into shooting as a result of this series.

The point that this shows guns in a good light-not the evil devices of death viewpoint that the left hangs their hat on.The "long range" elimination shoot also mentioned wind effect and showed that not everyone can get behind a rifle and hit with ease.It takes SKILL and the gun is just a tool.

Nomad makes a good point- it is the best 16 shooters CHOSEN FOR THE SHOW. It was indeed a bit cheesy- but I'll watch.

I'll almost watch any show on TV showing guns.
laugh.gif

1. Showing shooting in a positive light as a "sport".

2. Level headed competitors with manners acting responsibly.

3. Diverse background of competitors shows all gun nuts are not rednecks.

This is far better coverage than we usually get, I will keep watching and hope the editors and producers don't get carried away.

Yeah, really.. I'm with you guys here. We should all be thankful this is prime-time. I may get sucked in, who knows... just pick someone I dont like and root for them to lose!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see it this way like the show or not. Its putting competetive shooting on TV. Which is good for our second amendment rights and validates the sport purpose of firearms instead of the nightly news nasty spin of guns being evil and bad.
</div></div>

+1. Like many of you have posted it is going to put a good light on guns on National TV. Something that all of here that own and shoot would like to see, no matter who is on the show.

I also felt bad for Mike. The spotter was not a lot of help.

I agree. Any positive re-enforcement which brings our sport into the mainstream is welcomed by me.

To those who think they could do better than those contestants... sign up for next season!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just putting the shooting sports on TV-on a widely watched channel is good enough for me. Guaranteed somebody-somewhere is going to look into shooting as a result of this series.

The point that this shows guns in a good light-not the evil devices of death viewpoint that the left hangs their hat on.The "long range" elimination shoot also mentioned wind effect and showed that not everyone can get behind a rifle and hit with ease.It takes SKILL and the gun is just a tool.

I'll second this even though I haven't seen it, but it is a positive spin on shooting in general and all you armchair experts should take it for what it is and be positive about it!! In this present day and time considering all things it could very well be the total opposite and totally negative towards shooting sports!!!

Nomad makes a good point- it is the best 16 shooters CHOSEN FOR THE SHOW. It was indeed a bit cheesy- but I'll watch. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leave the negative crap, and the other garbage, to those different sites and their regulars.

As said by someone else: Reach down, grab a pair, put 'em on the table. Then you've earned the right to criticize. UNTIL THEN, SHUT THE HE(( UP!!

</div></div>
Exactly right Sean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: $KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Horrible. Most of the guys on this site could blow those clowns out of the water! </div></div>

Just curious--do you consider yourself one of the "most" ? </div></div>

No, I dont. And neither should you. Because if you were a pro you would be on it....

So are you trying to take away from the talented group we have here? There are a few guys here that have been shooting longer then most people on this site have been alive. Im going to agree with NOMAD, they do not have the best of the best. But oh well what can we do about it now? Let them have their fun. I do like the fact that our sport is being shown as a positive thing. I just hate to see what I enjoy so much get turned into another episode of Survivor.

I dont see how it is a challenge for a professional shooter to hit a paper plate sized target at 600 yards.... I shoot a 10" disc all day long. I am not saying I am an expert, but then again if they are going to spend the money on the reality show give these guys some real tests. They could have shot that M24 to within its effective range, that takes skill. 200-400 yards I dont see as a challenge for a pro.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: $KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Horrible. Most of the guys on this site could blow those clowns out of the water! </div></div>

Get signed up for the next season, and go show em.....oh wait that won't happen. It's so much easier feeding your face in the cheap seats while you criticize someone who actually is willing to play the game. </div></div>

Let me see you nut up or shut up!! Sign up yourself. I never claimed to be the best! But I can name a few off this site that are leaps and bounds in talent over those "Top 16 shooters in the world".

Ratings people. This show might be retarded but if it doesn't get good ratings the producers will look elsewhere for content. So even if you don't actually put eyes on the screen at least turn it on so the commies at Neilson see public interest in shows about shooting/guns and continue to make more.

Shows like this put shooting sports in the public eye and positive shooting shows help sway public opinion which, in this case, helps offset all the negative media guns/shooting gets.

So yeah, the show is goofy and the "marksmen" are questionable but that last thing we need is more logging or "deadliest warrior" shows...

I hear the next episode is going to feature an "Internet Commando" competition in which the competitors will be required to show their skills at: regurgitating firarms related information discovered through their expeditious Google-based research; buying and selling expensive gear without the foggiest idea as to its practical application (except, of course, what they discovered through the web); and most importantly, repeatedly posting unflinching support of new and novel equipment and gunsmiths based solely upon the say-so of OTHER cyber-experts. There will be bonus points awarded for the most insulting post made to thwart the efforts of new shooters and inexperienced web-users who dare make a mistake or ask a stupid question.

Now aren't some of you guys sorry you underestimated your chances of success and didn't apply?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear the next episode is going to feature an "Internet Commando" competition in which the competitors will be required to show their skills at: regurgitating firarms related information discovered through their expeditious Google-based research; buying and selling expensive gear without the foggiest idea as to its practical application (except, of course, what they discovered through the web); and most importantly, repeatedly posting unflinching support of new and novel equipment and gunsmiths based solely upon the say-so of OTHER cyber-experts. There will be bonus points awarded for the most insulting post made to thwart the efforts of new shooters and inexperienced web-users who dare make a mistake or ask a stupid question.

Now aren't some of you guys sorry you underestimated your chances of success and didn't apply?
smile.gif
</div></div>

Awesome post. Cheers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuckner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The gal was also aggravating when she couldn't even find the target when she was spotting.

</div></div>

I felt bad for her, target acquisition was one of the hardest things for me to learn (maybe its a chick thing) until I was told "turn the damn power down & scan!" DOH. What was really a travesty was her horrible Botox - we call them "Spock brows" when only the glabella is treated and rest of the facial musculature is ignored.

How many of us didn't guess the guy bragging the most would be first one out? Battlefield pick-ups are hard - but they got to practice the day before so no excuse IMHO. Blaming kit after the fact is lame.

My money is on Racaza
laugh.gif
I confirmed with a bud he was the same one we used to shoot with in IPSC. I think the kid had his moment but I predict a little humility will be learned when he needs to perform in different discipline.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear the next episode is going to feature an "Internet Commando" competition in which the competitors will be required to show their skills at: regurgitating firarms related information discovered through their expeditious Google-based research; buying and selling expensive gear without the foggiest idea as to its practical application (except, of course, what they discovered through the web); and most importantly, repeatedly posting unflinching support of new and novel equipment and gunsmiths based solely upon the say-so of OTHER cyber-experts. There will be bonus points awarded for the most insulting post made to thwart the efforts of new shooters and inexperienced web-users who dare make a mistake or ask a stupid question.

smile.gif
</div></div>

Awesome post. Cheers! </div></div>
+1

...glabella...? You said GLABELLA on the 'hide? You know..there's rules on what can be said on this site.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ratings people. This show might be retarded but if it doesn't get good ratings the producers will look elsewhere for content. So even if you don't actually put eyes on the screen at least turn it on so the commies at Neilson see public interest in shows about shooting/guns and continue to make more.

Shows like this put shooting sports in the public eye and positive shooting shows help sway public opinion which, in this case, helps offset all the negative media guns/shooting gets.

So yeah, the show is goofy and the "marksmen" are questionable but that last thing we need is more logging or "deadliest warrior" shows... </div></div>

Wot he said.....partly.

It's about RATINGS people! It's TV, it's not real!!

Since non of us commentating here was actually ON the show, we don't know what the producers <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-size: 14pt">TOLD</span></span> the competitors to do.

Lighten up guys, it's TV, not real life, and it's showing our sport in a good light, with normal, well balanced individuals, not crazed loners out to do evil.

Take it for what it is.

I'll watch it, and I might use that famous quote from Top Gun from time to time (Val Kilmer, saying "Bullshit" and covering it with a cough), but I will watch it.

WE, as a COMMUNITY have to support <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-size: 14pt">ANYTHING</span></span> which shows our sport in a good light, it will attract others into the sport, and together we are stronger.

Sorry, my 0.02c ran to 0.04c

Neil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: $KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: $KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Horrible. Most of the guys on this site could blow those clowns out of the water! </div></div>

Get signed up for the next season, and go show em.....oh wait that won't happen. It's so much easier feeding your face in the cheap seats while you criticize someone who actually is willing to play the game. </div></div>

Let me see you nut up or shut up!! Sign up yourself. I never claimed to be the best! But I can name a few off this site that are leaps and bounds in talent over those "Top 16 shooters in the world". </div></div>

I should nut up????? I don't recall being the one who opened my loud mouth about how bad the shooters on Top Shot sucked....you did.

As to your ASSumption that everyone on the show is a professional rifle shooter....you may want to rethink it. It is incredibly evident that you have never shot under pressure or stress or else you would have a much better idea that not everything is as easy you believe it to be from your couch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear the next episode is going to feature an "Internet Commando" competition in which the competitors will be required to show their skills at: regurgitating firarms related information discovered through their expeditious Google-based research; buying and selling expensive gear without the foggiest idea as to its practical application (except, of course, what they discovered through the web); and most importantly, repeatedly posting unflinching support of new and novel equipment and gunsmiths based solely upon the say-so of OTHER cyber-experts. There will be bonus points awarded for the most insulting post made to thwart the efforts of new shooters and inexperienced web-users who dare make a mistake or ask a stupid question.

smile.gif
</div></div>

Go ahead and wrap this thread up, 19scout77 wins.

I've shot exactly one match, and it humbled the heck out of me. The lesson? Shoot a lot more, post a lot less B.S....especially critiquing others.

I just watched the episode and enjoyed it.
I like how the kid Kelly kicked the so-called cool-headed and experienced pro Mike's ass in the elimination challenge.

That one guy who was such a fanboy to Mike that he was willing to put himself on the chopping block ahead of him is the next one I'd like to see go home. What a pitiful tool!

Also, just to reiterate what someone else said, no one said anything about these people being the top 16 shooters in the world.

Looking forward to seeing how they do with other weapons in the future episodes.

Enjoying it for what it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just watched the episode and enjoyed it.
I like how the kid Kelly kicked the so-called cool-headed and experienced pro Mike's ass in the elimination challenge.

Looking forward to seeing how they do with other weapons in the future episodes.

</div></div>

This is probably the biggest key to this show....

Take unfamiliar weapons systems, add stress, add an uncomfortable environment(reality tv bs), mix in a couple of cameras and a few producers stirring the shit and you will get some pretty entertaining tv....

It seems there is always a lot of bitching about "reality" shows but they keep managing to pull enough ratings to keep going.

I was in a 3 gun match once where I had to use an unfamiliar to me sight system and was tanking it. Luckily for me we had the option to use our pistol and I had less of a problem with taking the targets with it. When the buzzer goes off lots of things can happen. I would like to point out the good sportsmanship the competitors showed. Ian kept his cool when she couldn't spot for him. Racazza did everything to help the older gentleman with the rope. And ofcourse Mike handled his loss well. These are some of the things I hope new people see on the show.
One of the things that keeps me coming back to matches is the people, and for the most part all of the people that I have met at matches are positive and helpfull people.

Imagine how bad you feel missing an easy shot at the range, now have a team depending on you to proceed and shove a camera in your face with a million people watching you miss. Would have been nice if they let it go on after the blue team won, let the red team go through the paces so they could be under the microscope too. It looked to me like most needed more work spotting the shots, not shooting.

Kelly

I'm surprised so many are so upset about this REALITY show. And as we all know reality shows are bullshit.

How do you spot a reality show? Here are some HUGE red flags:
- voting people off
- living under the same roof
- showing said living space in frame prior to and/or following commercial breaks

It's all TV fluff...scripted and edited a thousand times over. And if it puts shooting into the spot light, so much the better.

I have to agree with supporting it up front. But personally I didn't care for it set up the way it is. I thought it was going to be a everyone fire everything and let the numbers rule. I didn't think it was going to be a personality kiss a%% kind of show like Survivor.

But I guess it's the best NEW effort out there.

This is just MY opinion!

Mike Seeklander is very familiar with firearms you can tell by the way he handles the firearms and the way he carriers himself. A former Tennessee State Pistol Champion, Georgia State Pistol Champion, as well as a top ten finisher in the handgun and multi-gun national championships, World Speed Shooting championships. He is currently ranked as a Grandmaster in USPSA. I do not know him I have never shot with or against him but as an occasional Practical sport shooter, I have found that the GM's are NOT all that concerned with pinpoint accuracy. They are much more worried about speed. You can not shoot enough "A" zone hits with a slow time to win against a marginally accurate but fast shooter. I am primarly a Rifle Jockey and just shoot "USPSA/IPSC" to stay up to speed (no pun intended) with a handgun. Mike on the other hand is a Pistol Shooter, couple that with the stress of millions of people watching and 100,000 on the line. Hell stress is a killer ask me how I did in Vagas last year, better yet don't.... HAHA. Is that an Excuse? YES Does it work? NO He is a professional stress/no stress his style or not he missed so he was eliminated! I like the show because it puts the shooting sports into a very odd light, a good one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: $KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: $KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Horrible. Most of the guys on this site could blow those clowns out of the water! </div></div>

Let me see you nut up or shut up!! Sign up yourself. I never claimed to be the best! But I can name a few off this site that are leaps and bounds in talent over those "Top 16 shooters in the world". </div></div>

I should nut up????? I don't recall being the one who opened my loud mouth about how bad the shooters on Top Shot sucked....you did.

As to your ASSumption that everyone on the show is a professional rifle shooter....you may want to rethink it. It is incredibly evident that you have never shot under pressure or stress or else you would have a much better idea that not everything is as easy you believe it to be from your couch.

</div></div>

Show me where I said they "suck". I said I was not impressed with the challenge nor the display of shooting in this episode. Do I think they are horrible shots? No.
Do I think there are people on this forum, not including me, that could perform better then what was on THAT EPISODE? Yes.

You need to stop trying to make my statements into something they are not. Don't take things so literally. A lesson in reading comprehension would show that I never said "those guys suck at shooting". I just said for pro shooters the challenge did not seem very challenging..... I also never claimed all of them were professional rifle shooters, although it has been said the MAJORITY of them are handgun experts with a few former snipers in the mix. You REALLY need to work on your comprehension skills of what people write. I wasnt shocked by the first episode, the rest might be excellent. So far, Im not overly impressed with it. My opinion

Im sorry if I hurt your feelings.
frown.gif

JJ Racaza is a good pistol shooter, but there are plenty of other competition shooters that are more well rounded. Guys like Todd Jarrett, Taran Butler, Matt Burkett, Mike Voight, Jerry Miculek, and Rob Leatham. Most of these guys besides being at the top of USPSA/IPSC have also shot 3 gun and a few with bolt guns.

I just watched my DVR'd episode and thought it was very entertaining. I liked it, sure it's cheesy as all hell and the editing was horrible but all in all it's a great thing for us shooters to bring a brighter light to our sports. What was the woman's claim to fame? was it really just cause she won her academy class's shoot off like it said on the show? I think it's a little too close to the survivor show though, hell it's even got a survivor contestant as a host trying to sound all like the real survivor host

You guys see some of the stances in the voting portion? Some looked like a big red flag for an instructor but it IS all about what works for you

they shouldve asked, St. John, Tomasie, Henderson, Park, Singley, Dement......all good guys at AMU

Didn't realize who all were on the show. Brad joined my group for dinner after the California State IDPA match last year, he shot the match wearing a suit and tie and got 2nd overall. Looks very different on TV.

There's a lot more talk on the Brian Enos forum since 3 of the people on the show have been answering the comments.

Adam on BE Forum said during the practice session, they each fired about 10 rounds (total) with 2 rifles before it was over. No one got to zero the rifle, just the estimated hold overs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Show me where I said they "suck". I said I was not impressed with the challenge nor the display of shooting in this episode. Do I think they are horrible shots? No.
Do I think there are people on this forum, not including me, that could perform better then what was on THAT EPISODE? Yes.

You need to stop trying to make my statements into something they are not. Don't take things so literally. A lesson in reading comprehension would show that I never said "those guys suck at shooting". I just said for pro shooters the challenge did not seem very challenging..... I also never claimed all of them were professional rifle shooters, although it has been said the MAJORITY of them are handgun experts with a few former snipers in the mix. You REALLY need to work on your comprehension skills of what people write. I wasnt shocked by the first episode, the rest might be excellent. So far, Im not overly impressed with it. My opinion

Im sorry if I hurt your feelings.
frown.gif
</div></div>

You must have a glass belly button--how else do you deal with your serious case of rectal-cranial inversion.

I tried to watch it with an open mind and did for a while. I compete in service rifle highpower matches so what jumped out at me was the 'sniper instructor' who couldn't see the young fellows first hit at 100 yrds.. Why didn't he have a spotting scope capable of seeing .30 cal. holes that close? Then in the shoot off when the same young guy picks the guy with all the experience in long distance shooting, this guy watches two first round hits at 200 and 400 then the first shot at 600 yrd. target he has no idea where the round went. He should know how to watch the trace and give his trigger puller data to make second round hit, hats off to the young fellow, he didn't get flustered and scored at 600 in spite off his spotter-who was no help to him at all.
Also I thought most of them preformed rather poorly considering they had time to zero with and familiarize with the firearms they would compete with. Not at all like battlefield pickups, not at all. As far as pressure, I didn't see anybody shooting at them so don't know what kind of pressure they could have experienced. The way it is set up, even if all of some ones teammates vote them out, all that person would have to do is out shoot the other guy, it is suppose to be about the best 'marksman' winning isn't it?
Just my thoughts on the show, I was not impressed at all.

I like the show.. its entertaining enough for me to watch again.. I really hate the elimination process tho. Seems like the contestants should be scored for the particular course and the person who scored the least amount of points should be eliminated.

Ranger Nick -- apparently they didn't get to zero the rifles nor practice with 'em much either. Following is a quote from Adam Benson from the blue team:

" In practice (if you can call less than 10 rounds practice) they had two sets of rifles. One of each for the blue team, and one of each for the red team. Each rifle had a colored piece of tape on the stock to identify it.

On the blue team practice, we each shot two rifles before time ran out (call it roughly 5 rounds each). Back at the house that night we compared our notes, and both people had nearly the same results. We wrote this info down and brought it to the challenge. No rifle was properly zero'ed. We just got on paper at both 50 and 100 yards, and wrote the proper hold-over info onto our notes."

Weird shit if you're trying to find the "Top Shot" eh?

i about choked on my popcorn......this was way better than the internet....breathlessly awaiting chapter two.

i did not know boolits moved that slow

Most of the rifles they were using have a 300 yard/meter zero to begin with, and without figuring that out its gonna be difficult to make a shot on target. Its more than likely luck if they hit part of the target and "walk" it down from there. Looks to me someone on the blue team knew about the zero and let his teammates in on it.....because they actually hit what their targets. My bet was the older gentleman who they said was a "historic firearms expert", he'd be the man with the plan.

Kelly

Sounds like a level playing field to me then. Should have just sent about 3/4 of them packing the first episode, a few of them figured it out and isn't that what the show was suppose to be all about? I still was not impressed.

the purpose of picking contestants for this show was not to pick the most rounded shooters who were good at everything. the purpose was to pick people who were the at the top level of their particular discipline and see how they could adapt to other diciplines. i know competitors, like jerry and matt, applied for the show and were not selected because of this. $0.02

He hit upper right corner of the target on the first shot, so aim same spot and see if you hit same spot he was doing to much Kentucky windage and not relying on his natural abilities to shoot. He is not a pressure shooter and there is nothing wrong with that. He was relying to much on his corrections and not getting there. 10 shots he should have hit target after that he was just chasing the round to much.