• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Torque wrench bits for Torx screws

usafabrad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2012
Norcal
Anyone have any reccomendations on bits to get for my torque wrench? Im using a wherler FAT wrench and the torx bits that came with it twist after only a few on and offs. I'm maxing these out around 35-40 inch pounds and the tooling just isnt holding up. Any suggestions?

I'd like to know myself. Cheap torx screws either warp or they destroy the actual torx heads. I suppose thats what happens when I buy "102 Bits for $7.99"

I got some made by Dewalt and those work great, but only have a few sizes. They seem to be pretty tough.

I've had great luck with Wiha. They fit the screw heads much more precisely than other brands I've tried and I haven't broken one yet.

The bits that came with the Borka set are holding up very well so far.

I make a living selling this kind of stuff, and Wera bits are among the best I have ever found. I've tested them in industrial applications where they run thousands of cycles a day. They have several types including the standard grey bits. Even their standard grey bits are really good. They have some specialty bits as well that are really great for assembly plant type operations.

If the bit slipping out of the screw head is a problem, they have one that is diamond grit coated on the part that inserts into the head of the screw. These have great grip and don't slip out as easy. They are about $5 a pop and they are available in Torx.

They also have some great torque drivers. I have two of them, one has a range of11-29 in lbs and the other 25-55 in lbs. These cam over when the torque is reached. The larger one has a right angle handle. I use the large one for scope base screws and the small one for scope rings. The 11-29 is around $70.00 on amazon. They make good shit.

Products: Wera

Wera

These are great bits. I sell them and have tested them against many other bits in production environments. Check out the diamond coated bits. They don't slip out of screw heads as easily if that is a problem you are having. They are about $5 a pop. There torque drivers are great, too. I use them for scope install. You can get them on amazon for about $70.00

Wiha. Bought a two bit pkg of their T15 size to try them out. They are very good, about 2x the price of Brownells, which I would rate "good". The wiha bits are about 7 months old and have not broke yet. Brownells usually last 4-5 months in our shop.

the torx bits that came with it twist after only a few on and offs. I'm maxing these out around 35-40 inch pounds and the tooling just isnt holding up. Any suggestions?
What sizes? If you're trying to torque T-10's to 35-40 you're going to twist them off, that's just the way it is. Any application requiring that much torque should use a larger head. If T-20, T-25's, then I'd agree you got some bad bits.

Do most of you use the Wheeler wrench or is there a better route to go? I need a torque wrench, but I'm not sure which direction to go.

Chris

I have a wheeler wrench that I recently replaced with the Borka tool kit. In my opinion the wheeler is a piece of junk that is out of spec. The Borka is light years better than the wheeler, but it is also more expensive. In this case I really believe you get what you pay for.

TorX Bits

Anyone have any reccomendations on bits to get for my torque wrench? Im using a wherler FAT wrench and the torx bits that came with it twist after only a few on and offs. I'm maxing these out around 35-40 inch pounds and the tooling just isnt holding up. Any suggestions?
I have several Chapman Tool sets and didn't need or want an extra ratchet drive so I just bought the multiples of the TorX bits I use most frequently on guns (T10, T15, T25, and T30). My Tool Store.com sells the individual TorX bits for $1.75/each (plus shipping). Link: Chapman Midget Ratchets Tool Parts & Adapters

Or, for $17.50 you can get the eight (8) piece Chapman #1068 TorX Kit which includes a ratchet drive, T6, T8, T10, T15, T20, T25, and T30 bits. for $17.50 (plus shipping). Link: Chapman Midget Ratchet Soft-Pack Tool Sets

Keith