• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Totally disgusted with Leupold

Re: Totally disgusted with Leupold

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope the prejudice you are carrying only applies to products of poor quality, not to the country, or people who are producing them based on business decision and direction. And I sincerely hope you are teaching your kids the same.</div></div>

+1. Leupold shoulders 100% of the burden for the inferior products. They made the decision about what level of quality they were willing to pay for, and they deemed the resulting products acceptable to sell to the consumer. (In my opinion, Leupold made a mistake if they focused on short term profits over maintaining their reputation.)

If I recall correctly, Mercedes Benz quality suffered greatly after its merger with Chrysler a few years ago -- are we to apply the logic that American labor "tainted" the previous high quality of Mercedes cars? No, the blame was with new company's management decisions and the lowering of QA standards.

It is a fine thing to decide to buy American for reasons involving keeping the money here in the USA, supporting US workers. You don't need to give any other reason than that, if you choose to buy American. And if it happens to result in a higher quality product for more cost, then that is your choice.

But if you choose to buy things based on cost, or convenience, more power to you. And if you accept the loss in quality because of that, then that is also your choice and you are free to do as you please.

Some of you folks don't have a clue as to what really takes place during the manufacturing process in China.

And don't any of you dare to play the race card in this debate. It only demeans you and shows off your ignorance.

Manufacturing in China is a very corrupt process. Chinese factories routinely cheat their foreign customers by encouraging shoddy workmanship, looking the other way during quality control checks, and substituting counterfeit parts for the quality ones specified in the contract. These practices run rampant in both the optics and electronics industries.

Common examples of what goes on are:
Using industrial solvents to remove the markings on sub-par components and re-marking these components by silk screening the identification and logos from the proper components.
Falsifying the analysis of the chemicals, metals, heat treat, etc. that are supposed to go into an item that they have contracted to build, and slipping these substandard items right past the QC people.
Bribing the contract originators quality control personnel so they pass items that would normally have been kicked out of the system.
Stealing the contractors design and making "knock off" versions which are then sold to unsuspecting buyers, usually on a different continent.
Bribery is a national institution, especially with lower paid Chinese Gov't officials. How the hell did you think that melamine got into toothpaste and dog food that made its way to American retail stores? Or lead paint on childrens toys, for that matter?

There's more!

I'll provide just one very well known example of Chinese manufacturing from the electronics industry just FYI -

Many of you might be familiar with the British loudspeaker manufacturer Bowers & Wilkins, aka B&W. They have manufactured high-end audio loudspeaker systems at their factory in England for decades. In fact they make some of the highest rated speaker systems in the world. In an effort to build a high quality system that could compete at a lower price point (they kept their original offerings, didn't seek to cheapen them at all) B&W designed seveal new products at their English R&D facility to be manufactured by Chinese factories that bid on the contract. After several trial runs at different Chinese factories, all of which were dismal failures, B&W insisted on sending their own resident QC people to monitor production. What they discovered was astounding! Items like capacitors, coils, resistors, bulk wire, terminals, circuit boards, etc. that B&W expressly specified as to manufacturer, model number, grade, performance specs and the like were all being counterfeited by the Chinese production facilities, right down to the packaging these parts came in! Making a long story somewhat shorter, B&W finally built their own factory in China, staffing the QC department with their own people, and rotating their own management teams in (from England) on a regular basis. They could not find a single Chinese factory that could be trusted to produce quality on a regular basis. This experience is all too common when companies are attempting to produce a quality product at a low cost by manufacturing in China. Leupold is no doubt aware of what's going on, but seems to turn a blind eye to it.

So call me a fuckin' racist if you've got the balls to do it. I know what I'm talking about, and it's no pollyanna kumbaya story.

Rant over!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Just Roy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for me, Leupold started to show their true colors when they began to fuck over Dick Thomas several years ago. I can't remember how many Leupold scopes I've bought since the 1970's, including several REAL Mk4's, but I can tell you that I haven't bought a Leupold since the Premier Reticle fiasco. And I sincerely doubt that I'll ever buy another one. </div></div>

I don't think this has been mentioned in this thread until now. They didn't even let the Thomas family finish kicking the last of the dirt covering Mr. Thomas before Leupold screwed them over. Except as an option for hunting scopes Leupold had lost me as a customer. When the Premier Reticle fiasco occured the door was closed.

As stated by others there are many viable alternatives to Leupold if you desire. </div></div>

Gentlemen, be careful. I started a thread about this very topic a few years ago. Wow, you should have seen all the guys here jumping down my throat. Whilst I totally agree with you, and said as much then, it has something to do with the WE ARE AMERICAN AND CAN BUY WHATEVER WE DAMN WELL CHOOSE TO CAUSE WE ARE FREE, and also something towards the ONE LITTLE THING THAT MAY BE VIEWED AS A BIT WRONG BY A COMPANY DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY ARE TOTALLY BAD, FORGIVE AND BUY A GREAT PRODUCT.

Product loyalty is so very much important. So is fashion. They have one, so I need one too. Cause then I'll be better.

Yes, you will see my sarcasm here, as well as my cynicism. The point is, Leading is one thing, and being led is another. And I say this knowing that I'll get slammed for doing so.

Let the flames begin. Oh yeah, with regards to those flames, please show me exactly where I was/am wrong? </div></div>

Sean, If I'm misunderstanding you, forgive me. I've been a member here since '03 and I would never have said this is a "pro" Leupold site, Leupold has at the very best been tollerated here. There are a lot of Leupy users here because for years in the past they have been a solid scope for the money although that may have been changing in more recent times. To say though that negative comments about Leupold has the site jumping down your throat is just a tad rediculous. The "fashion" on this site has always been to spend several $K on USO's or S&B's or even the lowly Nightforce (not saying thats a bad thing) but Leupy has never been included in that elite group (and certainly dosn't deserve to be) by the pro's here. I mean shit, this is the 26th page, dont you think if this was going to turn into a pro Leupold thread it would have done it before now? OK, I'm officially bored with this thread.......... bash on.
smile.gif

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So call me a fuckin' racist if you've got the balls to do it. I know what I'm talking about, and it's no pollyanna kumbaya story.

Rant over!

</div></div>

If the shoe fits...

I'm glad you had many experiences, and willing to share information about dealing with China's factories. What you've described was shown in a show on Discovery Channel probably once a week for a month, about two months ago. Apparently you have been burned by every single factory making any and all the world has looked to acquired in China also, to that I feel sorry, and I encourage you to find the closest factories in the US to manufacture the parts you are looking for, or rather, what you've read or heard other businesses are looking for.

I work for an importer of products coming from Indonesia, Thailand, Taiwan, and China. For every new order we get that is manufactured anywhere, I personally fly to the factories and inspect the first, and second shipments, with production samples sent to me for every shipment after that for inspection. I am in constant communication with our factories almost every night after most of US populus have gone to sleep. In the end, we sell a quality product with no corners cut, no safety compromised, and our customers are happy because guess what, they are getting a better quality product from overseas (including China) for a much, much better price. Chances are, Leupold is not doing this and if they want to do right, maybe they need to follow B&W's example and setup their own shop there. In the mean time, they can benefit from spending more time, or at least hire some people who know the Chinese culture and speak the language to deal with them and bring them up to snuff.

I will agree with you that there are growing pains with outsourcing to other countries, in this case China, because they do not have the experiences needed with infrastructure to "do it right" the first time. This same situation is applicable to Vietnam, Korea, India, or many of the other heavy manufacturing countries with low cost of living and wages. But, China is a big place, with a lot of geographical areas that are dotted with factories. So far we've been fortunate to work with at least three factories in China able to produce product up to, or exceed OUR expectation (read. US), but by your accounts they must be cheating me and fooling me into thinking they are doing right by me so I will be checking on them right away...

I am a Taiwan-born Chinese who has been a US citizen for 21 years, and I work with, and import products from China. I will demean myself, claim ignorance and play the race card.

Wow...I don't even know what to say to the last part of that post.

Except that not all asian-americans see things like you man.

Play the race card? wow...

About 12 years ago, I sent a fixed 12x to the factory to have the mildots and target turrets installed. From the time it left Cookeville, TN on its way to Oregon, it was gone less than 6 days. When it arrived back, it was perfect.

These days, I doubt I will spend large on Leupold.

I have friends that deer hunt. Some of them are diehard Leupold nuts. But like was said above, they only shoot 20(maybe) rounds a year. Leupold has a lock on the high-end Bubba market. I guess they are happy with that. I know a lot of shooters, but not many of them spend $1K+ on a scope.

david

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow...I don't even know what to say to the last part of that post.

</div></div>

I count my blessings for living in a State like California, not for the gun control and other things that are wrong, but mostly for the "coloress" treatment of all, on the most part. I have no other answer other than "play the race card" to borrow his term, to explain the negative blanket statement made against China's manufacturing process. I must be completely ignorant, or plain stupid for still working with China to produce the products we sell, if they are incapable, though they pretend to be capable, in producing quality products on their own.

I don't agree with China on a polical basis for their oppression and constant threats made to my family still living in Taiwan, but to say that they are unable to produce anything of quality is ignorance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of you folks don't have a clue as to what really takes place during the manufacturing process in China.

And don't any of you dare to play the race card in this debate. It only demeans you and shows off your ignorance.

Manufacturing in China is a very corrupt process. Chinese factories routinely cheat their foreign customers by encouraging shoddy workmanship, looking the other way during quality control checks, and substituting counterfeit parts for the quality ones specified in the contract. These practices run rampant in both the optics and electronics industries.

Common examples of what goes on are:

Rant over!

</div></div>

Rant starting:
At the personal level, I cannot afford an American lathe, and now the American lathe is a Chinese lathe that has been re labeled. So I buy the lathe through an importer who has a Chinese on his payroll at the factory in China. He pays extra for spindle bearing and contactor upgrades. I replace contactors and AC motor with my own DC motor control design.

I bought an apartment building from someone with a Chinese accent in 1989, and will never sign my name again when I hear that sound.

In the early 90s I was selling engineering to companies that put cell phone towers in China.

Lately I have been selling engineering to companies that want to use Jabil for lower cost manufacturing.

Friends have been buying high power LEDs directly from China, and the Chinese have to have all the money before they ship. They trust no one.

What does it all mean?
1) I will only deal with the Chinese through someone else who is knows the tricks of negotiating with them, and has incentive to look for my best interest.
2) If you are afraid of being called a racist, you deserve to live in fear. I know a white PhD married to a Chinese woman, who tells me that anyone who is not a racist is a fool.

Rant over

Let me tell you about my "China" experience. I was in charge of production at a family owned American company. We imported product from Europe, finished at our production facility and shipped it on to our customers. The product was very high quality and I took great pride in the finished pieces. All of a sudden, competitors prices were coming down and our sales were diminishing. The owners decided we needed get raw product cheaper from somewhere else - CHINA!!

This is where it gets really interesting...the European made items were given to engineers to be "copied". The prints were then sent to CHina to see what factory would produce the cheapest. Several months later, the first shipment arrived at my plant. At first glance, everything looked great - and they were 4x cheaper!! Within a year, bridges were burned with Europen company and 100% of supply was coming from China. Now the problems began. Quality went to hell, bolt threads were not correct, other major flaws were showing up. Since I was still in charge of "production", I raised hell with the Chinese contact - around the owner's back. I was told not to make a case with my Chinese counterpart because he would quit and we wouldn't have anyone in China who we could trust. Furthermore, don't worry about the decreased quality because we are getting product so cheap, we can just ship replacements to the customers who complain - the company would sti;ll make a profit.

In the end, it is the unwary consumer who loses. I no longer could take pride in our product and left shortly after.

Maybe others have great experience with Chinese manufacturing, but I did not.

I had a new mark 4 on order for my rem 700.after reading and hearing all this bad shit about leupold i will now spend extra $ and buy NF.how could this happen to such a once great american company.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1) I will only deal with the Chinese through someone else who is knows the tricks of negotiating with them, and has incentive to look for my best interest.
2) If you are afraid of being called a racist, you deserve to live in fear. I know a white PhD married to a Chinese woman, who tells me that anyone who is not a racist is a fool.
</div></div>

1) Very smart and sound advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for me, Leupold started to show their true colors when they began to fuck over Dick Thomas several years ago. I can't remember how many Leupold scopes I've bought since the 1970's, including several REAL Mk4's, but I can tell you that I haven't bought a Leupold since the Premier Reticle fiasco. And I sincerely doubt that I'll ever buy another one.</div></div>

THAT was a hell of story, about Premier.

Wow, Bowers&Wilkins? How THAT is a HELL of story too. Unfreakinbelieveable.

Who will be the last man standing?

I think the wave of the future is gonna be shooters buying either really expensive high-end scopes that they know will deliver in terms of reliability and function or really super-cheap inexpensive Chicom stuff to play with (.22 trainer, etc.). If you buy the high end, high quality scope(USO,NF, S&B, PREMIER)you are spending alot of dough but then atleast you know you are getting your money's worth. However, if you are gonna buy chinese made scope which may or may not suck it may as well be supercheap and easily replaceable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Rant over!

</div></div>

If the shoe fits...

I'm glad you had many experiences, and willing to share information about dealing with China's factories. What you've described was shown in a show on Discovery Channel probably once a week for a month, about two months ago. Apparently you have been burned by every single factory making any and all the world has looked to acquired in China also, to that I feel sorry, and I encourage you to find the closest factories in the US to manufacture the parts you are looking for, or rather, what you've read or heard other businesses are looking for.

I work for an importer of products coming from Indonesia, Thailand, Taiwan, and China. For every new order we get that is manufactured anywhere, I personally fly to the factories and inspect the first, and second shipments, with production samples sent to me for every shipment after that for inspection. I am in constant communication with our factories almost every night after most of US populus have gone to sleep. In the end, we sell a quality product with no corners cut, no safety compromised, and our customers are happy because guess what, they are getting a better quality product from overseas (including China) for a much, much better price. Chances are, Leupold is not doing this and if they want to do right, maybe they need to follow B&W's example and setup their own shop there. In the mean time, they can benefit from spending more time, or at least hire some people who know the Chinese culture and speak the language to deal with them and bring them up to snuff.

I will agree with you that there are growing pains with outsourcing to other countries, in this case China, because they do not have the experiences needed with infrastructure to "do it right" the first time. This same situation is applicable to Vietnam, Korea, India, or many of the other heavy manufacturing countries with low cost of living and wages. But, China is a big place, with a lot of geographical areas that are dotted with factories. So far we've been fortunate to work with at least three factories in China able to produce product up to, or exceed OUR expectation (read. US), but by your accounts they must be cheating me and fooling me into thinking they are doing right by me so I will be checking on them right away...

I am a Taiwan-born Chinese who has been a US citizen for 21 years, and I work with, and import products from China. I will demean myself, claim ignorance and play the race card.

</div></div>

I don't have any experience in mfr'ing. But my experience is that I have yet to come across anything made in china that is not junk. So with those experiences in mind, I have to think SpotCheckBillyis the one I believe here. It "fits" with what I have seen.

This right here says a lot about Leupold now, a friend of mine sent that exact same scope to Leupold 2 months ago for the exact same thing you had done 12 years ago. Leupold sent a letter back telling him that they could put the turrets in, but the reticle change was not possible. Hmmm I found that to be very interesting because I have a 6x with a mildot reticle that was put in buy Leupold about 3 years ago. When that scope gets back it will be for sale, because in the mean time my friend bought a 10x42 PMII S&B. Another die hard Leupold customer saw the light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rain252</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Rant over!

</div></div>

If the shoe fits...

</div></div>

I don't have any experience in mfr'ing. But my experience is that I have yet to come across anything made in china that is not junk. So with those experiences in mind, I have to think SpotCheckBillyis the one I believe here. It "fits" with what I have seen. </div></div>

Same here. I've yet to see any quality goods come from China. Where I work we used to source some of our steel forgings from China when demand was high and the availability/price of the German and Austrian stuff wasn't great. We had to stop doing that because we had too many failures associated with tools we made from the Chinese steel.

I waited for a while to respond to SoCalPete's rebuttal to my post concerning Chinese manufacturing plants and their relationship to some of US and EU companies who are outsourcing (or attemting to outsource) their products from China, mostly because I was on vacation for a week but also because I wanted to see how things were shaking out on this thread.

First of all, let me elaborate about where my information is coming from. I do not have the chance to watch much TV, and have never even heard of the Discovery Channel program that SoCal Pete seems to think was the source of my information about B&W and their experiences with Chinese factories. Before retiring I was employed by a large importer/distributor of electronic gear (from the UK, Japan, Korea, Germany, the Netherlands, Italy, and the Czech Republic) with the emphasis on high-end audio equipment. The B&W story that I related came directly from Joe Atkins, Chairman of the Board of B&W, with his permission to repeat it, and not from some television program! The other information that I will relate in this post comes from other executives in the consumer electronics industry some of whom will be named, but only with their permission.

Joe Atkins (of B&W) mentions that aside from the quality control issues experienced when trying to utilize existing Chinese-owned factories security is also a major concern. "B&W did not want to disclose its proprietary manufacturing processes or its designs to an outside firm that very well may sell this information to a competitor, an unfortunately common practice when independant Chinese factories perform outsource work for foreign companies". Perhaps this could be the way that Chinese factories have been producing their cosmetically close Leupold knock-offs that eventually make their way to US consumers via marketplaces like E-Bay and gunshows? A rhetorical question, in case you didn't get it
wink.gif

The PrimaLuna brand of high-end tubed audio components, based in the Netherlands and founded by Herman van den Dungen paints a picture of its experiences with Chinese factories that is opposite of the rosy picture that comes from SoCalPete. From an article in a trade magazine - Van den Dungen says "A Western Company can't just turn over a schematic and a prototype to a Chinese factory and expect (satisfactory) results. Primaluna's high quality and soild reliability are achieved only by constant vigilance and a strict set of rules". Van den Dungen learned early that the factories he dealt with could try to substitue the specified parts and pocket the cost difference. Consequently, he developed processes that would assure his products quality. One technique that has been especially effective is the requirement that the factory shut down all other production, remove components for other products from the shop floor, and start fresh building only PrimaLuna products for the duration of the production run.In effect, the factory is temporarily turned into an exclusively PrimaLuna factory. Van den Dungen "inspects the factory as a production run is about to begin, as well as the components that will go into the products". He spends weeks at a time in China each time the factory makes a PrimaLuna run, and he "even owns a house near one of the factories". He "began a rigorous parts inspection, including X-raying parts" afier catching a factory trying to substitute counterfeit Solen capacitors, while another factory was caught sanding the labels off inferior semiconductor chips and silk-screning on the brand name and part number of the more expensive specified device. Finally, van den Dunger has "the entire operation set up so that (he) can easily move the production to another factory if (he's) not satisfied with the finished products". And that's not the only example -

One designer of sophisticated electronic power conditioners (who wishes to remain anonymous) says that his attempt to have his product made in China "was a disaster". He cites "poor workmanship, shoddy construction, high failure rates, parts substitution, and counterfeit components" as being prevalent in some Chinese factoriers. "The Chinese factories didn't (or didn't care to) understand the level of fit & finish and quality that US consumers demanded, or the need to strictly use only the specified parts".

Robert Harley, a reknown industry expert says "Many of the branded components commonly used in Chinese-made audio products are counterfeit. For example, it is estimated that there are more bogus Neutrik connectors than authentic ones in Chinese-made products. Tubes are frequently relabled by removing the original silk-screen and applying a new (more expensive, higher quality) brand name." Harley added "Western firms also face the possibility that the (Chinese) factory will secretly increase the sixe of the production run and sell the finished products - complete with the Western companies brand name on the faceplate - out the back door". Harley goes on to relate that "Even worse, a raw (speaker) cabinet manufacturer (in China) who was a supplier to a prestigious European loudspeaker brand produced additional cabinets on the sly, stuffed these extra cabinets with its own inferior drivers, then secretly sold throughout Asia under the European company's brand name". "Another threat is that the Chinese company will take the designs, many of which are the subject of US patents, and copy them in their own products." Sound familiar, US and EU optics manufacturers? Leupold, Aimpoint, and Trijicon come immediately to mind!

Why then do these US and EU companies put up with all of this? The answer is MONEY, of course! In this day and age, increasing the bottom line is the most important objective that some CEO's can accomplish, and damn the cost to the end consumer. In 2008, the average wage paid to the Chinese factory worker ran between 65-85 cants per hour. Combine this with the fact that many Chinese factories lack the worker and environmental safeguards we take for granted in the West and it becomes obvious why it's become very attractive to outsource labor to China.

So am I being a racist by repeating these well-known facts?

I don't give a fuck which race of people are the culprits. The facts have to come out in the end, no matter whose sensitive feelings may get hurt. None of us are perfect or superior to another but nobody gets a free ride either, just because they might percieve themselves as victims.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow...I don't even know what to say to the last part of that post.

</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I count my blessings for living in a State like California</span>, not for the gun control and other things that are wrong, but mostly for the "coloress" treatment of all, on the most part. I have no other answer other than "play the race card" to borrow his term, to explain the negative blanket statement made against China's manufacturing process. I must be completely ignorant, or plain stupid for still working with China to produce the products we sell, if they are incapable, though they pretend to be capable, in producing quality products on their own.

I don't agree with China on a polical basis for their oppression and constant threats made to my family still living in Taiwan, but to say that they are unable to produce anything of quality is ignorance. </div></div>

Wow, you lost me after that part.............

Keith

Leupold have a good reputation here in northern europe,but we dont have anything else than hunters either,its rare to see a range that goes beyond 300yrds,or a hunter that shoots at more than 200yrds,leupold,zeiss and swarovski is the top brands here,many people owns a leupold,and my next buy would also have been a leupold if i hadnt read this,thanks Terry for posting this,ive atleast gotten aware of something...im that kind of a person who gladly opens my wallet if i see something with quality that i want,and we have to pay around $2000+ for a MK4,so the more info you can get about where and what your $$$ are going into,and what you actually get for that money - the better.

And it should be clear enough with yamaha,suzuki and hundreds of other brands,that "made in china" isnt quite the same as "made in japan"....over here,made in japan are something respectful,while made in china is more "quantity than quality",have always been,and problably will always be.

Since i have relatives in texas,i just aswell can buy a USO SN-3S 1.8-10x,i was ready to buy a MK4 3.5-10x40 M3 for my 223,but if you care about quality and gonna lay thousands of dollars on scopes,you dont want any doubts.I havent seen one single complain about USO,not one,from custom service to the smallest piece there seems to be all good about us optics,so $2200 on a leupold or $1600 on a USO is a very easy choice.And even if i could get that leupold scope for alot cheaper in US,the warranty havent worked out so good here for scopes bought in US in several cases.And I wouldnt pay more than a $100 for a scope thats "made in china".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirkDiggler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And it should be clear enough with yamaha,suzuki and hundreds of other brands,that "made in china" isnt quite the same as "made in japan"....over here,made in japan are something respectful,while made in china is more "quantity than quality",have always been,and problably will always be.</div></div>Actually, when you're talking motorcycles, "Made in Japan" is often the same as "Made in China": All the major Japanese makers assemble with parts made in China. The reason China is making great strides today in the motorcycle market is because the Japanese tooling for the old models has been there for years. Even Triumph, the British brand that casts their own frames, casts those frames in Thailand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cartman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only read the first page so sorry if I'm repeating someone here.

I don't blame the manufacturers of Leopold. It is our own fault. Americans have wanted bargains for themselves for years and just expected some other sucker could/would be responsible for keeping American manufacturing alive.

We get what we deserve.

Just think how many products the Chinese will sell when they start throwing in a free kidney from a political or religious dissident.
</div></div>

I agree, this is the most profound statement yet to this subject. Americans in general want a deal, we have become "me first" entitlement to everything nation. It is and will get worse with all the FREE money coming. When I ran a small mom pop outdoor shop, 99 out of 100 customers wanted some sort if discount because they are special or with some special group. Every military person, first thing out of their mouths, you give military discount? I am afraid to say, this is the future of our nation.

I have two Loopy from the 1970's, absolutely stamped Made in America. They have been beat, scraped, rained on, dropped, banged around in canoes, crushed, stuffed, hunting in Alaska and have never failed.

A bud in Iraq was unit marksman, had a Loopy and said it would not track true or go back to zero after cranking the turrets. It kept losing zero and when he considered soldiers lives were at stake.....never to use another Loopy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, when you're talking motorcycles, "Made in Japan" is often the same as "Made in China": All the major Japanese makers assemble with parts made in China. The reason China is making great strides today in the motorcycle market is because the Japanese tooling for the old models has been there for years. Even Triumph, the British brand that casts their own frames, casts those frames in Thailand. </div></div>

Yes alot of other brands have parts made there too,money to save....,i dont know about triumph,but with yamaha,suzuki etc that ive been riding for all my life there havent been any loss of quality anyway,its been the same stuffs since i started ride 25yrs ago,and that makes me wonder even more why leupold are losing quality when other brands who hand over manufacturing/assembling to china dont.

Chinese atv:s,mcycles etc etc havent changed a bit in europe anyway,its always been the same crap,cheap solutions and cheap materials as always.But you cant expect more for 25% of the price.But a well known brand can afford the same quality theyve built there brand on as long as you have buyers,theres enough money to make just on the workers in thailand or china....but leupold may just be a little more greedy.

I was just talking to my father and the elder ones whos been livin in the woods and hunting for like 50yrs,and they have leupolds thats 10,20-30yrs old,not one of them have had any issues whatsoever with these scopes,and those scopes looks like they came right out of Hitlers bunker.

Possibly only second to radical islam, communist china presents the biggest threat to the world today. I think it's only fitting that nearly all the stuff they ship to the naive rest of the world is junk. Lots of it even dangerous junk.

Well, aside from the fact that this is an sorry state... all it really means is that I'm going to have to save the cash and go for the new Premier scope.

Fortunately, I think the glass I have now will work for the moment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirkDiggler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And it should be clear enough with yamaha,suzuki and hundreds of other brands,that "made in china" isnt quite the same as "made in japan"....over here,made in japan are something respectful,while made in china is more "quantity than quality",have always been,and problably will always be.</div></div>Actually, when you're talking motorcycles, "Made in Japan" is often the same as "Made in China": All the major Japanese makers assemble with parts made in China. The reason China is making great strides today in the motorcycle market is because the Japanese tooling for the old models has been there for years. Even Triumph, the British brand that casts their own frames, casts those frames in Thailand. </div></div>
Just curious; where do you think Harley Davidson gets a majority of their chrome and electronics from?

This week during our PR1&2 which started on Monday, 1 day into it, another Leupold 4-14X died on the line. Replaced it with my Nightforce NXS 3-15X and the rifle shooting bug holes.

Another one down... I need to start a running tally for 2010.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This week during our PR1&2 which started on Monday, 1 day into it, another Leupold 4-14X died on the line. Replaced it with my Nightforce NXS 3-15X and the rifle shooting bug holes.

Another one down... I need to start a running tally for 2010.

</div></div>

Im hearing more and more stories regarding Leupold and there new found ways of building scopes and handling customer service issues. I hope this new "tactical division" brings something different to the table, or Leupold is going to end up kickin' the bucket. OP, there is no reason why Leupold should not have replaced that scope, or did the re-conversion work at no charge. I think you have the right to be pissed in this case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAT_Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry, you have much respect in the shooting world and your word is solid. I am so disgusted with Leupold right now that I am shaking.

I just reviewed my records and found that I had purchased 26 Leupold optics between 1987 and 2008. Three of those were Mark 4 M1 16X scopes that were sent to Premier Reticle for their power boost to 35x and installation of a fine crosshair and 1/8 minute target dot. All three conversions were performed by Dick Thomas, just months before his untimely death, and were covered by Premier and Leupold lifetime warranties.

After Dick's passing, Premier and Leupold soon parted ways, with both companies stating, on their websites, that they would continue to warranty/service conversions performed prior to their separation date. Soon after, Leupold refused to provide parts to Premier to continue their support.

Fast forward to 2010. I have sold two of the three Premier conversions to 1,000 yard BR shooters. I kept the third scope for my remaining BR rifle. Since I've moved from BR to tactical and AR-15 rifles, I called Leupold to see if they would return the Mark 4 to original condition as a 16X with Mildot reticle. They instructed me to return the scope for evaluation and would provide a labor quote at that time. After hearing nothing for one week after delivery, I called today to follow up and was informed that the scope could be "restored" to factory new condition and returned to me for $329 total. That would cover the installation of the Mildot reticle, a new erector tube system, and shipping/insurance. I agreed to this fee as it was service work and not warranty repair.

Ten minutes later, the Leupold service rep called and stated that they could do no work on this scope since Dick had glued the power boost in place, thereby preventing any further service to this scope. They did offer to replace the main tube and internals for more than half the cost of a new scope. I just can't see having over $2,000 invested in a Mark 4 16X. I then asked if this was the case, how and why was the scope ever covered by warranty by either Leupold or Premier after the conversion. He had no answer, of course. The scope is being returned to me.

I am trying to decide if attempting to contact the President of Leupold Stevens would be worthwhile. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of orphaned Premier Reticle conversions with absolutely no support remaining. I am seriously considering filming the application of sledge hammer to scope to show my utter disgust and contempt that I hold for Leupold at this moment.

I have been slowly selling off my Leupolds and upgrading to Nightforce as funds allowed. I did splurge on one S&B 5-25 PMII for my KMW Surgeon. I still had a soft spot for Leupold because it is an American company in hopes that they would regain their senses. No more. Their products, and their word, mean nothing to me now.

BAT_Boy </div></div>

You should contact Premier, they are the one who offered the lifetime warranty on their work.

Just to add, in addition to never doing business with companies that use "Extreme" in their name, I won't do business with companies that's sole source of income is modifying another companies products. The reason is, as you've found out, they are at the mercy of the other business entity and can not truly ever offer a warranty. On the surface it seams as though Leupold it is at fault but look at what happened with S&B.

Anyway, sorry to interrupt the flow of this dog-pile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another One Bites the Dust....

And another one gone, another one gone, another one bites the dust. </div></div>
hahahahahaha

What's really sad is our boys are issued these, there lives depend on Leupold, a failure could cost them there lives.

These are the reasons why I've decided to not use Leupold anymore. Several years back when they renamed their VX3's and called them Mark 4 scopes and added some knobs, the prices jumped. I did not see the difference in quality that justified the price increase.

I have a Vortex Viper 6-20X50 on it's way in the next day or so. I will compare it to my remaining Leupolds. I'm glad they're a few stand up guys out there like Scott from Liberty and Sam from Vortex.

Terry this is really really sad to hear. I grew up and still live within a a couple hours of the plant in Beaverton OR. Just maybe 4 years back I was invited by Leupold to tour the factory. 125,000 square feet.......employing 600 AMERICAN workers.....I was even taken to see all the guys and gals working on machines making scope parts so small you could hardly handle them without tools. I was told they made EVERY single part of their scopes except the glass which I was told was imported from the same supplier who supplies the glass to Europes top scope ? Was I fed a load of bull or have things changed in the last couple years?? I have shot in competition flying their flag loud and proud. As other companies have came out with newer/better........I voiced the AMerican made Leupold product and "buy 1 scope for life" warranty they have. I stood in their and saw the machined parts making their way to the "clean room" dust free where different people assemble scopes from parts made out in the shop. And only the 20 year plus vets with great track records touched the Mark 4's.

With 125,000 sq ft of space what the hell are they doing with that now??? Maybe I should ask for another tour and see what the hell is going on........maybe because I am not a Leupold shooter I won't get a tour???

Anybody know when all this happened? Whether you liked Leupold or not they always seemed to be the measuring stick.......how does product X compare to a MArk 4?

As for Leupold not warrantying altered scopes?? I don't blame them, its standard practice in most industries. YOu buy a Ford diesal and elect not to get the the turbo but later you have another company put their Turbo on your Ford.........no dice you void all warranty. Premeir is 100% responsbile for any of their work that goes bad.

Derek

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Possibly only second to radical islam, communist china presents the biggest threat to the world today. I think it's only fitting that nearly all the stuff they ship to the naive rest of the world is junk. Lots of it even dangerous junk.</div></div>

Biggest threat to the world (if by that you mean western world) is western world itself. WE ARE the biggest threat to ourselves since WE import junk from China, WE buy stuff from China, WE accept substandard items/services, WE tolerate, WE look away from injustice, WE do not act, WE have lost values, WE....

Lets start cleaning our own house first and then most of the "worlds" problems will just go away.

On topic: I for one haven't had one bit of a problem with leupold, the best solution is not to buy crap since there are so many good choices out there (and funny thing is EVEN below Leupold price range) there is no need to waste money and time on a company which overslept on their laurels.

I'v been done with Leupold for a few years new. I used to like them because the glass was ok, they were priced fair, and they were the lightest scope going and didn't add alot of weight to the rifle. Now that the price is pushing up to withing a few hundred dollars from NF & IOR it's just not worth it anymore. I also HATE that lit ret. knob, and it seem's like aprox. 1/3 of the Mark 4's I'v seen has a canted retical in it. To make it look right through the scope the knob's look like an 8 year old mounted it on the rifle! I don't even consider them anymore.

A sad story, American company with no customer service??
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAT_Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry, you have much respect in the shooting world and your word is solid. I am so disgusted with Leupold right now that I am shaking.

I just reviewed my records and found that I had purchased 26 Leupold optics between 1987 and 2008. Three of those were Mark 4 M1 16X scopes that were sent to Premier Reticle for their power boost to 35x and installation of a fine crosshair and 1/8 minute target dot. All three conversions were performed by Dick Thomas, just months before his untimely death, and were covered by Premier and Leupold lifetime warranties.

After Dick's passing, Premier and Leupold soon parted ways, with both companies stating, on their websites, that they would continue to warranty/service conversions performed prior to their separation date. Soon after, Leupold refused to provide parts to Premier to continue their support.

Fast forward to 2010. I have sold two of the three Premier conversions to 1,000 yard BR shooters. I kept the third scope for my remaining BR rifle. Since I've moved from BR to tactical and AR-15 rifles, I called Leupold to see if they would return the Mark 4 to original condition as a 16X with Mildot reticle. They instructed me to return the scope for evaluation and would provide a labor quote at that time. After hearing nothing for one week after delivery, I called today to follow up and was informed that the scope could be "restored" to factory new condition and returned to me for $329 total. That would cover the installation of the Mildot reticle, a new erector tube system, and shipping/insurance. I agreed to this fee as it was service work and not warranty repair.

Ten minutes later, the Leupold service rep called and stated that they could do no work on this scope since Dick had glued the power boost in place, thereby preventing any further service to this scope. They did offer to replace the main tube and internals for more than half the cost of a new scope. I just can't see having over $2,000 invested in a Mark 4 16X. I then asked if this was the case, how and why was the scope ever covered by warranty by either Leupold or Premier after the conversion. He had no answer, of course. The scope is being returned to me.

I am trying to decide if attempting to contact the President of Leupold Stevens would be worthwhile. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of orphaned Premier Reticle conversions with absolutely no support remaining. I am seriously considering filming the application of sledge hammer to scope to show my utter disgust and contempt that I hold for Leupold at this moment.

I have been slowly selling off my Leupolds and upgrading to Nightforce as funds allowed. I did splurge on one S&B 5-25 PMII for my KMW Surgeon. I still had a soft spot for Leupold because it is an American company in hopes that they would regain their senses. No more. Their products, and their word, mean nothing to me now.

BAT_Boy </div></div>

Hate to say it but I was a huge loopy fan for a long time,but needless to say i'm not anymore. Have a mark4 on my 308 and a viper 6.5 to 20 on my 243ai. Having problems on my mark 4 hate to say it but it's getting traded in on the new vortex pst. I know the vortex is made in china, and I for the most part try to buy american products but why the hell am i going to support leupold for way more money and no quality anymore. I don't mind paying more money for quality but their quility is no longer there.

I picked up a VX-3 the other day for a 223 bolt varmit im building. I wanted a low profile scope. I got it for 650 so I was happy about that. However, now I find this thread and read it. Now im rather PISSED and about to go take it back ... Pay more than twice the $$$ and order a Nightforce. I just went over the box the scope came in and cannot find a "Made in XXX" anywhere. It have the Leupold, Oregon on it etc. Where on the box do they print this? So when I take it back and they ask WHY? I can point to it in disgust.

Thanks

I was already a little leary when I purchased a MK4 on Monday but did so since Midway was blowing out a bunch a pretty reasonable prices. The package isn't even delivered yet and it wont even get opened. It's getting shipped right back to Midway. I'll save a couple more months and just get something better.....Leupold wont get my business.

<span style="font-size: 14pt">China</span>=substandard parts/manufacturing while outsourcing American employment/production and supplying a known enemy to our way of life

...any other questions?

Mark4's are an American product period. yes they have the 'windriver' line etc that are Asian contracts which is made very clear. I have no idea why this big anti-Leupold sentiment? I've been dealing with them as both consumer and in LE Distribution for many years and their treatment can be described only as STELLAR. Which is why I'll be continuing to use their products.

Sagebrush,

Did you not read the contents of this thread?

The only way you can possibly make such a comment is if you jumped in on the ass end of this.

Several Leupold products tagged with their Tactical brand are clearly marked "made in China". Almost all of their Mark 4 scopes no longer carry a country of origin at all. When the Leupold reps were confronted and asked "why?" they admitted that there were too many foreign components in the scopes to legally stamp them as made in the U.S.

The base of this thread was not about China vs. Japan vs. U.S. as much as it was about misleading marketing, poor quality in the face of rising retail prices and Leupold continuing to take this market for granted.

In a way, I am sorry to see this thread resurrected but if you would take a few minutes to review the entire content, every one of your head scratching conundrums have been previously addressed in depth.

If you are in L.E.Distribution, you certainly owe it to your end users to be totally up to speed on the product origin and its realistic standing against competitive offerings. Take everything the Leupold reps are feeding you and then take a hard look at your obviously expansive product selection. Look at the product markings (or lack of) and the packaging. Come to your own conclusions.

Yea, I don't really get it either. So a bunch of Leupold's stuff is made in China... so is 3/4 of the crap in my daily life. I don't love it either, but global economy and all that jazz. If it's the longing for "Made in USA" then short of buying a USO there's a bunch of hypocrites in the room.

Nightforce: Japan (assembled here) - minus F1 and compact line.
Vortex Razor: Japan
Vortex PST line which so many have a huge hard-on waiting for: Japan parts, assembled in Phillipines.
ETC
ETC
ETC

So what if the Leupold Mk4s are assembled here but have some Chinese parts? I don't see the distinction between that and pretty much every other scope maker out there.

The numerous reports of canted reticles and scopes going down are concerning. But you know Leupold will take care of it no questions asked which is leaps and bounds above some. Also, I gotta wonder how much the sheer volume of Leupold scopes out there contributes to how many stories of failures we hear about. Mk4 is pretty much the standard for "tactical" scopes, or at least has been (especially in LE). There are a TON out there. No shit we're going to hear about more Leupy failures than anything else.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a dog in the fight (the only Leupy I currently own is a VariX II on a hunting rifle). They probably should feel some heat if the quality is lacking. The mob mentality of "F Leupold" seems a bit much though, and silly really. The two Mk4s I've had in the past were great. I have a couple buddies who run Mk4s, they love them, no issues. I'm not discounting the issues there has been. It just seems to me that for every failure you hear of there are tons of people who run them and love them.

Not to mention they're FINALLY coming out with .1 mrad turrets, and a dedicated tactical division. I'll be keeping an eye on them, despite the angry mob.

A few months ago, I had to deliver a group of 10 rifle packages to a customer. The packages included a lot of support gear and peripherals. Binoculars were part of the package. Based on their requirements and budget, I chose the Leupold Tactical Mil binocs. These are suppossed to be designed and manufactured with Police and Military as the target market.

The week after the packages were delivered, the customer had their training cycle and all the new gear was issued and trained with. I received a call regarding the binoculars. 2 sets were returned to me. Here is what we found.

One user was adjusting the new binoculars to fit his eye spacing with the main hinge. The left barrel of the unit moved. Further examination revealed that it was not even screwed in all the way and surely not sealed. Photo below:
Digitalphotos4409015.jpg

Another user adjusted the eye cup which rides on a fast helix "twist up" type adjustment. The entire eye piece dissassembled in his hand. Note that all critical parts are plastic. Also note that a search on several optical forums revealed that this is a common problem with these. Photo below:
Digitalphotos4409016.jpg

Note that this Tactical/Military product is marked with CHINA as the origin. So were the LRFs.

We swapped out all the new Leupold binoculars for another brand.

I agree that Leupold has excellent customer service on most issues but that is a moot point when the failure rate is so high on products meant for working environments. Again, this is not about where it is made as much as what value they are offering for the money.

Retail on these binoculars is quite expensive by most peoples standards.

No more Leupolds for me! Not even if they come with a little cap with a red star on it.