• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes TPS ring failure...

Re: TPS ring failure...

As per TPS

Once you have your ring bases securely attached to your
base, torque the 7/16 hex nuts on your ring bases to a 65 in/lbs. If you don’t have a torque
wrench for this application, be careful to not over tighten the hex nuts. They need to be
adequately tight to prevent slippage, but not to the extreme of damaging the rings and
bases. Using a standard 7/16 box wrench can far exceed the recommended torque,
if used carelessly.

Good news, I had a package from TPS sitting in my mailbox today. No emails, no phone calls. They simply sent me a new yet of alloy steel rings with no note attached or any information regarding the failure of the previous rings. Don't get me wrong, I am happy they upgraded the rings. Its just I would have expected some sort of correspondence in the last month or so letting me know what was going on, but I guess a new box of rings is better than emails and phone calls!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason280</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good news, I had a package from TPS sitting in my mailbox today. No emails, no phone calls. They simply sent me a new yet of alloy steel rings with no note attached or any information regarding the failure of the previous rings. Don't get me wrong, I am happy they upgraded the rings. Its just I would have expected some sort of correspondence in the last month or so letting me know what was going on, but I guess a new box of rings is better than emails and phone calls!</div></div>

Dear Jason 280,

We are sorry that our product blew chunks. Apparently you did not read the forum instances from several shooter communities with similar experiences of up to 1 month wait for "customer service" turnarounds and hence were not familiar with the number of failures our products have had, nor our penchant for ignoring your request for weeks until we do something about it.

Anyway, we thank you for your money and you have your rings now, so go away.

Sincerely,

The letter from TPS you would have gotten had they even bothered
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are located in Oregon, has anyone ever seen what the place looks like? </div></div>

Yes I have and its a nice state.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they give you any problems we will gladly step in and resolve this issue to your satisfaction, immediately. </div></div>

I buy many of my rings and bases through SWFA for this reason. I also only go with TPS steel components.

I've ran their alloy and steel rings with no issues on several setups, but lately I avoid the alloy versions just because the weight difference isn't that much and better safe than sorry. They are cost effective, however, if you are willing to spend $150 on rings there are more respected, more durable, and frankly overpriced options. I wonder if they got a bad batch of AL, 65in/lbs just isn't that much torque to snap a ring like that unless it wasn't well supported by the rail but that as the poster said should have been easily noticeable, unless the rail angle was way out of spec.

The trick is to never go through TPS themselves, their customer service and even trying to make an order is ugly. I've always purchased them through brownells and with the discount they are around $50 and at that price point they are about the best thing out there.

They have a love/hate relationship, some of it earned as was displayed by their total lack of customer service, however frankly sometimes anything that isn't top dollar around here doesn't get much love.

I got a set of those Seekins rings in last week and they are aluminum and look like they could withstand a nuke. Top notch quality but they are extremely well built and have a lot of material where it's needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadnbrkn84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a set of those Seekins rings in last week and they are aluminum and look like they could withstand a nuke. Top notch quality but they are extremely well built and have a lot of material where it's needed. </div></div>

All of the "tactical" type bases and rings I own are Seekins.
I know absolutely nothing about any of the other brands, but I have no reason to change.